PDA

View Full Version : Hampton not to be franchised by Steelers

KeiselPower99
01-10-2010, 10:41 AM
Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh-Press Gazette reports the Steelers can put the franchise tag on Hampton, but he contends they promised they would not do that. The tag would cost a $6 million salary, twice what Hampton made in 2009. If he leaves, they could turn to Chris Hoke and maybe newly re-signed Scott Paxson to fill the void for 2010. They might be forced to try defensive end Ziggy Hood there. He does not fit the profile of a nose tackle. Neither did Kimo von Oelhoffen, but he played the position for one season before moving to end when Hampton came aboard.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-10-2010, 10:48 AM
I called this one in another thread. Casey is only going to get one more long term contract due to his age..and it would have been pretty crappy of the Steelers to block his chances by making him wait a year.

Also I never thought that he was a "Tomlin guy".

Well...Casey, you have been fun to watch and we all appreciate what you have done for this franchise. Here is hoping that Houston signs the home town boy to a nice contract.

Fire Haley
01-10-2010, 10:55 AM
Welcome aboard Mr Cody

43Hitman
01-10-2010, 10:57 AM
Welcome aboard Mr Cody

I hope.

OneForTheToe
01-10-2010, 11:05 AM
Welcome aboard Mr Cody

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2480/3593104952_2513151689.jpg

Ok maybe this one.

http://www.yardbarker.com/m/42149/xl/CF08--NOV._8--P40__ALAB-LSU.jpg?stamp=1226700069.

I'd be ok with us trading up a bit to get him, actually.

http://media.nj.com/rutgers_football/photo/alabama-game-winning-fg-block-10-24-09-c5176d8db2e6d56b_large.jpg

LamarrWoodleysFade
01-10-2010, 11:56 AM
Eh, I want Earl Thomas.

But that's just me wanting to see change in that secondary. I'm tired of seeing Troy make all the plays...

Dylan
01-10-2010, 12:00 PM
Eh, I want Earl Thomas.

But that's just me wanting to see change in that secondary. I'm tired of seeing Troy make all the plays...

yea if given the chance i would rather have thomas over cody also

xbroughneck
01-10-2010, 12:04 PM
Eh, I want Earl Thomas.

I'd take any secondary guy (corner or safety) over a nose tackle in this years draft. There aren't enough play makers in the Steeler secondary.

We have a guy, and can get a guy, that can clog the middle.

supa_fly_steeler
01-10-2010, 12:08 PM
no disrespect on cody, we can get someone like Dan Williams who's good but had a porus display against my hokies (we just obilivated them lol) the main attraction to cody is just his basketball leap imo, there isn't much different. we just need a fat defensive lineman like casey.

We need leadership, we haven't drafted a Free Saftey in the first round since.... rod woodson in 1987 and he played cornerback for us so it even goes further back... it's time we broke that drought if Earl Thomas is their we must select him unless McClain is their (who we need leadership)

Bubbabanjo
01-10-2010, 12:26 PM
Better shore up that Secondary D or its gonna be a long 5 years. Pre-McFadden......we stunk!

Bubbabanjo
01-10-2010, 12:29 PM
And if anyone sees a good deal on a Bus................buy it man. We need that Steeler running game back before Big Ben has to take an early exit or has to take the short bus to games cause of all the concussions!

supa_fly_steeler
01-10-2010, 12:54 PM
Better shore up that Secondary D or its gonna be a long 5 years. Pre-McFadden......we stunk!

mcfadden has been horrible in Arizona watch A-Rod light up his ass

supa_fly_steeler
01-10-2010, 12:55 PM
I still think the 4-3 is a possibility, Why limit the draft to needing NT.

that not happening i heard Tomlin went to kentucky to see how Micah Johnson is doing.... he's a 3-4 linebacker.

we don't have the personel to go 4-3 it would be a waste with all our good linebackers.

KeiselPower99
01-10-2010, 01:36 PM
I read on twitter that Tomlin was at the Kentucky Georgia game the other night.

Bubbabanjo
01-10-2010, 02:37 PM
Yeah McFadden has stunk on the Birds....he got the big bucks so its party time. But we need a replacement that fit like he did. Current pieces of the secondary are all square pegs. Aint fittin the hole.

zulater
01-10-2010, 02:43 PM
No shock here. Not saying it's right or wrong, just not surprising.

I do hope they use a tag on Jeff Reed. Reed would probably get paid less with a franchise tag than if he hit the open market. Anyone who can make 87% of their kicks playing on a chewed up grass field in with cross winds is pretty darn reliable if you ask me. We can find someone else to kick off if needed. Or better yet, don't cut Anthony Madison in camp again.

pancake
01-10-2010, 06:34 PM
that not happening i heard Tomlin went to kentucky to see how Micah Johnson is doing.... he's a 3-4 linebacker.

we don't have the personel to go 4-3 it would be a waste with all our good linebackers.

Thank you!!! :thumbsup:

The 4-3 sucks...

MasterOfPuppets
01-10-2010, 06:45 PM
I called this one in another thread. Casey is only going to get one more long term contract due to his age..and it would have been pretty crappy of the Steelers to block his chances by making him wait a year.

Also I never thought that he was a "Tomlin guy".

Well...Casey, you have been fun to watch and we all appreciate what you have done for this franchise. Here is hoping that Houston signs the home town boy to a nice contract.
if tomlin had issues with fat snacks weight...do you really think he'd want an even fatter more out of shape guy like cody ? :doh:

Vincent
01-10-2010, 07:44 PM
I think the MT - Monty Kiffen relationship influences our choice of Dan Williams. And I think that'd be the better choice.

SteelCurtain0815
01-10-2010, 08:05 PM
I think the 4-3 is a possibility. I posted a thread about it a few days back. If we don't resign Hampton, which it's looking like we won't, then why not make the switch? Hoke is a solid player, but I only see him as a backup. WE DO HAVE THE PERSONNEL TO SWITCH TO A 4-3! :wantsome:

mesaSteeler
01-10-2010, 08:27 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/323284-explaining-myself-the-arians-roethlisberger-connection
Explaining Myself: The Bruce Arians-Ben Roethlisberger Connection
Nick Signorelli

Senior Writer Written on January 09, 2010

MIAMI - JANUARY 03: Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger #7 of the Pittsburgh Steelers throws a pass against the Miami Dolphins at Land Shark Stadium on January 3, 2010 in Miami, Florida. (Photo by Doug Benc/Getty Images) Doug Benc/Getty Images

The world of the Pittsburgh Steelers is currently upside down and sideways. Since the end of the season on Sunday, there has been a cleaning house of sorts, with the retirement of QB coach Ken Anderson, and the termination of special teams coach Bob Ligashesky and offensive line coach Larry Zierlein.

What came as the biggest surprise is Bruce Arians still being employed by the Steelers. The reason that this comes as such a shock is, Arians was reported to be on his way out by ESPN Radio in Pittsburgh. It later came out that Arians was the one to leak the news that he was going to be terminated.

Let's take a look at the time line.

Monday

Reports from Ken Laird of ESPN Radio states that he is CERTAIN that Arians was to be let go. Laird said that he would not be reporting this unless he was certain that Arians was going to be fired.

Mike Tomlin, as every coach does after their last game, meets with the Rooneys for his end of season meeting.

Tuesday

Tomlin meets with the team for their end-of-season interview, as he does every year. He meets with the team together, then with each player individually. One of these meetings was with Ben Roethlisberger.

Wednesday

All hell breaks loose when reports of Bruce Arians is not going to be fired. It is reported the Bruce Arians is the man that leaked the information about his termination.

The next question then becomes, why would Bruce Arians leak that he was to be fired? There has to be a reason.

At some point between the end of the Steelers last game Sunday, and Monday, when it was reported that Arians would be fired, something had to be brought to his attention that his career in Pittsburgh would be over.

Monday's conversation with Mike Tomlin and the Rooney family may have had something to do with it. In this conversation, Tomlin discusses why he believes the Steelers did not make the playoffs, and the changes he plans on making to his coaching staff.

Yes, it is HIS coaching staff, but it is also the Rooneys' team. The Rooneys will allow Tomlin to make the decision as to who will be back, and who will be let go.

During this meeting, one of three things happened.

1. Mike Tomlin said to the Rooneys that Arians is HIS guy, and he wants to keep him on the staff, because HE believes that Arinas is good enough to lead the Steelers offense to the Super Bowl.

The reason I do not believe this to be true, is because the only person that I believe could have told Arians he was not going to be back, would be Tomlin.

IF, this is true, and Tomlin decided that Arians was important to the Steelers success, Tomlin's future is going to be based on this decision.

If the Steelers do not make it back to respectability next year, then Tomlin will have to answer why he decided to keep Arians.

2. Tomlin said to the Rooneys that he intended on letting Arians go, and the Rooney family convinced Tomlin that Arians needed to stay.

Why would the Rooney family insist on keeping Arians instead of letting Tomlin let him go? By asking Tomlin to keep Arians, they would not be able to hold Tomlin responsible for failure by the offense next year.

The Rooney family are investing over $100 million in Ben Roethlisberger, and Roethlisberger likes Bruce Arians. If the Rooneys want to keep Ben happy, then keeping Arians is a step towards that.

3. Tomlin decided to let Arians go, the Rooney family agreed with him.

One of these situations happened, but let's look at Tuesday.

Tomlin goes into the team meeting, then does the individual interviews. According to Mike Logan on ESPN Radio, the interviews go basically by the importance of the player. Roethlisberger had to be one of the first interviews. In this conversation, only one thing could have happened.

Ben Roethlisberger said to Mike Tomlin that he wanted Bruce Arians to stay, and be a part of the team. There was no threat, there were no tears. Ben simply said he wanted Arians to stay.

NOW, at some point, between these interviews, Mike Tomlin made the decision to not fire Bruce Arians. He either threw his support behind Arians, which is doubtful, or Arians would have never leaked that he was going to be fired. OR, The Rooneys or Ben Roethlisberger convinced Tomlin that Arians was the way to go.

It is still Tomlin's decision, but do you really think he would go against the Rooney Family OR Ben Roethlisberger?

If Arians did not have the support of Ben Roethlisberger, he would not be employed by the Steelers today.

A comment was made that Ben is already signed for the rest of his career, and that he would do nothing to hurt his stats, or the team. This statement I have a problem with.

I do not believe for one second that Ben would hold out, or play bad. But, if the next OC that came in did not improve on Ben's stats, then there would be a riff with Ben and Tomlin or Ben and the Rooneys.

As for Ben being signed for the rest of his career, well, that is not true, either.

Ben is signed until the end of the 2015 season. That is five more years. Ben will be 32. Ben is set to make $11.6 million per year from 2011-2014, and then $12.1 million in 2015, the last year of his contract.

This means, in all reality, that come 2014, four years from now, Ben will be signing his retirement contract. Probably for five more years, and he will be retired by then. If Ben's numbers start to diminish, what are the chances that he will decide to stay with the Steelers?

My guess would be pretty low. Here is the one thing that people seem to not be looking at. The Pittsburgh Steelers have won six Super Bowls. Four by Terry Bradshaw, and two by Ben Roethlisberger.

There was a gap of nearly 25 years between Bradshaw's last Super Bowl victory, and Ben's first. That is a long time to go without a Super Bowl, especially when you are a team like the Steelers.

The Rooney family realize that Roethlisberger is a once-in-a-generation player. You cannot find one in every draft. The Steelers want to keep Roethlisberger happy, and if that means keeping Arians, then THAT is exactly what they are going to do.

It does not matter if the decision was made by Tomlin or the Rooneys. The decision to keep Arians was made so that Ben Roethlisberger would be happy.

BehindSteelCurtain
01-10-2010, 08:34 PM
Lets franchise tag Reed but find someone else to do the kick-offs.....

Can Harrison kick?

Gnutella
01-10-2010, 09:26 PM
I want us to draft Terrence Cody in the first round, and Reshad Jones in the second.

Steely McSmash
01-10-2010, 09:55 PM
if tomlin had issues with fat snacks weight...do you really think he'd want an even fatter more out of shape guy like cody ? :doh:

+1 Cody looks like hell. If he could lose 20 lb by the combine he could move up from around #40 overall to #20-25 IMO. What's that worth ? $30k per pound?

I tend to think they're going to either re-sign Hampton for 2-3 years or sign some FA (Wilfork of NE is an UFA for example) prior to the draft.

It seems that the FO always hedges it's bets prior to the draft so they don't have any glaring needs. If they like Dan Williams and get him they probably still don't want him to start as a rookie. IF they have a plan B on board then they could gamble later in the draft or even next year for NT as well.

If they don't do this, and a rookie isn't ready the options are Hoke, Paxson, McClendon or one of the DE would fill in at nose.

SDemt23
01-10-2010, 10:10 PM
id be happy to whoever we get as long as its not Taylor Mays, getting Mays would be a downgrade to our secondary because they cant cover for sh*t right now

Galax Steeler
01-11-2010, 03:34 AM
And if anyone sees a good deal on a Bus................buy it man. We need that Steeler running game back before Big Ben has to take an early exit or has to take the short bus to games cause of all the concussions!

You have a young bus in Mendenhall.:coffee:

Steeldude
01-11-2010, 07:27 AM
Weaknesses:
Major conditioning and stamina issues --- Provides little or nothing as a pass rusher --- Range is extremely limited --- Isn't explosive and lacks a burst --- Is not very quick or agile --- Can use his hands better --- Plays too high at times --- Limited schematically --- Is intelligence a concern?

IMO, basically an obese person standing still. is that what the steelers want in the first round? i think they can find someone similar in the later rounds. i would rather see them BPA a LB, S, CB or OT in the first.

i have seen him listed at 378.

Rick5895
01-11-2010, 08:03 AM
Weaknesses:
Major conditioning and stamina issues --- Provides little or nothing as a pass rusher --- Range is extremely limited --- Isn't explosive and lacks a burst --- Is not very quick or agile --- Can use his hands better --- Plays too high at times --- Limited schematically --- Is intelligence a concern?

IMO, basically an obese person standing still. is that what the steelers want in the first round? i think they can find someone similar in the later rounds. i would rather see them BPA a LB, S, CB or OT in the first.

i have seen him listed at 378.

I like Cody, did you see the bcs title game. He dominated the line of scrimmage. Was very quick and showed great feet, IMO. He even lines up as the short yardage full back, that does not jive to the weaknesses you list.
I also like Williams, if we could get him in the second round we could draft a safety or ILB in the 1st.

CargoJon
01-11-2010, 08:09 AM
If we don't draft secondary and O-Line in this draft, we're going to have another year like this one, and likely end the career of Ben 3-4 years before it should be.

What was the scouting report of Hilodi Ngata like when the Ravens drafted him? That's what we need if we're going to dump a first round pick on it. Otherwise give me secondary and O-Line...

Steeldude
01-11-2010, 08:33 AM
What was the scouting report of Hilodi Ngata like when the Ravens drafted him? That's what we need if we're going to dump a first round pick on it. Otherwise give me secondary and O-Line...

found this on ngata...

http://foxsports.foxnews.com/other/story/5528028/Haloti-Ngata-Draft-Profile

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-11-2010, 08:52 AM
I like Cody, did you see the bcs title game. He dominated the line of scrimmage. Was very quick and showed great feet, IMO. He even lines up as the short yardage full back, that does not jive to the weaknesses you list.
I also like Williams, if we could get him in the second round we could draft a safety or ILB in the 1st.

I dont like Cody. I did watch the BCS game....in fact I recorded it and rewatched it to see Cody more among others. Cody was slow getting off the ball, only ever plays 3 or 4 downs before they rotated him out. On the first goal line series where McCoy gets hurt, he got stopped by a double team and looked disinterested in getting going again..(LACKS MOTOR).

I dont know what game you watched, but other than a couple plays he looked like a guy too slow and overweight for the NFL game. Even the announcers said "this isnt the type of offense that bodes well for Cody.....this Texas spread that runs to the edges".

I say pass on Cody. Dan Wilkinson, Gerrard Warren or Jimmy Kennedy were better athletes coming out of college than Cody.

Rick5895
01-11-2010, 09:06 AM
I dont like Cody. I did watch the BCS game....in fact I recorded it and rewatched it to see Cody more among others. Cody was slow getting off the ball, only ever plays 3 or 4 downs before they rotated him out. On the first goal line series where McCoy gets hurt, he got stopped by a double team and looked disinterested in getting going again..(LACKS MOTOR).

I dont know what game you watched, but other than a couple plays he looked like a guy too slow and overweight for the NFL game. Even the announcers said "this isnt the type of offense that bodes well for Cody.....this Texas spread that runs to the edges".

I say pass on Cody. Dan Wilkinson, Gerrard Warren or Jimmy Kennedy were better athletes coming out of college than Cody.

Opinions on this player vary, I like him so I am going to look for positives, I watched a couple of Bama games this season and like him. However, If we can get some one who is a better player, and not as highly ranked or get this kid in the second round, draft a ILB or Safety 1st then take the NT. YOu say he lacks motor and only plays 3-4 plays then is rotated out, so is Casey, that is the position. Perhaps if he drops to the second round, he gets the motor you think he doesn't have.

Opinions vary on players. I remember when Woodley came out (I am not comparing the 2, there is NO comparison) some people thought he was a 1st round talent ( I thought so) but he had his doubters, lasted until the second when we got him. That worked out pretty well.

McClain and #57 I loved from bama and as much as I like Cody, Getting McClain in the 1st round would be a better fit.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-11-2010, 11:04 AM

Nope. Thats why I want Dan Williams.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-11-2010, 11:06 AM
I want us to draft Terrence Cody in the first round, and Reshad Jones in the second.

I'd have no problem taking NT Dan Williams in the first and Safety Nate Allen in the 2nd.

OneForTheToe
01-11-2010, 11:18 AM

What are we going to call a NT who is not "fat?" "Healthy Snack?" "No Snack?" "Vegi snack?" "No Snack after 9 pm?":noidea:

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-11-2010, 11:33 AM
What are we going to call a NT who is not "fat?" "Healthy Snack?" "No Snack?" "Vegi snack?" "No Snack after 9 pm?":noidea:

Fat and a 5-time pro bowler....Big Snack.

Fat and no motivation......Jimmy Kennedy/Terrence Cody

OneForTheToe
01-11-2010, 11:48 AM
Fat and a 5-time pro bowler....Big Snack.

Fat and no motivation......Jimmy Kennedy/Terrence Cody

I wasn't busting on Hampton " ". If he was two years younger, I'd say show him the money. I'm now of the opinion that we need to let him go. I just think he will drop off too much before we get value out of a new contract. As for franchising him, I wouldn't object, but I think they will let him get his last big contract somewhere else.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-11-2010, 11:51 AM
I wasn't busting on Hampton " ". If he was two years younger, I'd say show him the money. I'm now of the opinion that we need to let him go. I just think he will drop off too much before we get value out of a new contract. As for franchising him, I wouldn't object, but I think they will let him get his last big contract somewhere else.

Cody just scares me and has "BIG BUST RISK" all over him. I think he is overhyped and would rather the Steelers not take him.

He's kind of my Max Unger or Tyson Jackson of this draft. I really hope we dont take him.

fansince'76
01-11-2010, 12:19 PM

"Vegi Snack." :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-11-2010, 02:21 PM
What are we going to call a NT who is not "fat?"

A grocery clerk?...filling station attendant?....insurance salesman?