PDA

View Full Version : Potential Free Agent Signings!!!

aclark99
01-10-2010, 02:56 PM
I know it is early but I do like this time of year. It would have been nice to have had the opportunity to knock out the Bungles. Anyways, it is early but who do you all think might be great fit for the black and gold?

I am hoping the Steelers look at Dawan Landry, S from the Rat Birds. I think he would be a great fit for our defense and pair well with Polamalu. Interested in others opinions.

LamarrWoodleysFade
01-10-2010, 03:02 PM
Dude, you shouldn't put exclamation points at the end of your title. You had me excited lol...

aclark99
01-10-2010, 03:03 PM
I guess it would help if I learned how to spell!!!

SteelerFanInStl
01-10-2010, 03:40 PM
Don't get your hopes up for big free agent signings. You should know that the Steelers don't play that game.

supa_fly_steeler
01-10-2010, 03:41 PM
Don't get your hopes up for big free agent signings. You should know that the Steelers don't play that game.

this.

a ratbird starter would never go play for the steelers vise verser this decade.

excluding ron woodson.

supa_fly_steeler
01-10-2010, 03:57 PM
They alraedy did with that 1 week spurt of Corey Ivy midseason

he was jobless and it was for a game...

when i mean move i mean "career" for at least a year or more

smokin3000gt
01-10-2010, 04:39 PM
Dude, you shouldn't put exclamation points at the end of your title. You had me excited lol...

Not to mention it made us think tim lumber was back

Hotrodder07
01-10-2010, 05:42 PM

Yeah, we never go after anyone big in free-agency, but I like that about the Steelers. Every year I see teams throw a ridiculous amount of money around signing guys that never do what was expected of them, and I just sit there and smile, because I know that the Steelers FO is smart enough to not make those mistakes. I'm proud to be raised a Steelers fan. :tt04:

LamarrWoodleysFade
01-10-2010, 05:45 PM
this.

a ratbird starter would never go play for the steelers vise verser this decade.

excluding ron woodson.

Who the hell is Ron Woodson...?

UltimateBengal
01-10-2010, 06:04 PM
Yeah, we never go after anyone big in free-agency, but I like that about the Steelers. Every year I see teams throw a ridiculous amount of money around signing guys that never do what was expected of them, and I just sit there and smile, because I know that the Steelers FO is smart enough to not make those mistakes. I'm proud to be raised a Steelers fan. :tt04:

Free agency will be different for everyone this year because it will be an uncapped year. Only players with expired contracts and 6 years of experience will be eligible. The last 8 playoff teams will be very restricted as to what they can do. And since there is no cap, teams can get rid of high priced veterans and take the hit this year, freeing up money for the following years. This will be a very interesting FA market, with a lot of veterans!

AlleghanyAdams87
01-10-2010, 07:22 PM
In all reality, our free agent class will probably look something like..
RB depth
WR Depth
LB Depth
DL depth
S Depth

The only way I think we sign anyone who will contribute is if we let Reed go, or sign a guy who can play NT until we groom a full-time starter. That very well might be Casey, hopefully, because thinking Hoke can fill in their is just foolish.

Bubbabanjo
01-10-2010, 08:03 PM
Some good pieces if they wouldnt break the bank and fell into place

CB Carlos Rogers, Washington Redskins
CB Richard Marshall, Carolina Panthers (Panthers will sign him probably)
S Roman Harper, New Orleans Saints
S Nick Collins, Green Bay Packers (no chance here...Pack will sign him)
DE Julius Peppers, Carolina Panthers
DE Elvis Dumervil, Denver Broncos
DT Ryan Pickett, Green Bay Packers
DT Tony Brown, Tennessee Titans

and............should sign to an incentive deal if he will play backup RB Willie Parker, Pittsburgh Steelers

But man they better fix the S and CB positions............and keep an eye out in the draft for a Bus someplace.

AlleghanyAdams87
01-10-2010, 10:09 PM
Ryan Pickett of GB is a good possibility for NT depth

Angus Burgher
01-10-2010, 11:21 PM

If the Steelers had decided to break precedent and grab Darren Sharper last offseason, somehow I think we'd all be a lot happier right now.

Fire Haley
01-11-2010, 05:55 AM
There won't be any FA's left after Dan Snyder and Jerry Jones buy them all.

lionslicer
01-11-2010, 06:04 AM
With all the money going to Big Ben and other players, the Steelers never have that much Cap room. But the Saints have some offensive linemen that will be free agents, we'd be smart to go after them if we can't get any in the draft. And Kevin Mawae, long time Jet and now Titan center is a free agent. We could put him at guard, but he would cost a lot.

Fire Haley
01-11-2010, 11:41 AM
Interesting tidbit - with an uncapped year

Top 8 Teams Unable to Sign Free Agents Next Year unless They Lose One

From ESPN insider from Schefter:

Elite Eight free agency woes

Indianapolis, San Diego and New Orleans have clinched first-round byes, but at a cost. Under the NFL's new rules, in the uncapped year everyone is expecting, none of the teams in the Elite Eight will be allowed to sign free agents unless they lose a free agent. If a team in the final eight loses a free agent, it will be allowed to sign one of equal value. So as odd as it sounds, a team that loses in the wild-card round might turn out to be better off than a team that loses in the divisional playoff round.

Mr. Goosemahn
01-11-2010, 12:12 PM
Interesting tidbit - with an uncapped year

Top 8 Teams Unable to Sign Free Agents Next Year unless They Lose One

From ESPN insider from Schefter:

Elite Eight free agency woes

Indianapolis, San Diego and New Orleans have clinched first-round byes, but at a cost. Under the NFL's new rules, in the uncapped year everyone is expecting, none of the teams in the Elite Eight will be allowed to sign free agents unless they lose a free agent. If a team in the final eight loses a free agent, it will be allowed to sign one of equal value. So as odd as it sounds, a team that loses in the wild-card round might turn out to be better off than a team that loses in the divisional playoff round.

This could be a huge advantage for us. We're still a good team, regardless of the horrible 5-game losing streak we had. With Troy and Aaron Smith back, the defense improves a lot.

I think the front office should think long and hard about signing guys, as virtually no other playoff team will be able to do so. Indianapolis, San Diego, New England, Cincinnati, Baltimore, and the Jets will only be able to replace guys.

Then again, we rarely make a move in free agency.

If we do, however, here are some guys that will become free agents and I think we should look at:

WR Kevin Walter, Houston - Underrated WR with good hands.

CB Leigh Bodden, New England - He's reverted back to his old self, and is making plays all over the field.

ILB Karlos Dansby, Arizona - Got tagged last year and I believe he can't be tagged again. Probably expensive, but every now and then we do sign an expensive free agent, like James Farrior. Has experience in the 3-4 already.

Some guys who are rumored to get cut that I'd be interested in:

RB Reggie Bush, New Orleans - rumor has it that NO is unhappy with his performance and his compensation, so much that they're willing to cut him. We don't need a star RB, just a fast change-of-pace compliment to Mendenhall. And he could return kicks and punts too.

QB Byron Leftwich, Tampa Bay - Batch will retire this year or next, and there are 3 QB's in front of Leftwich in the depth chart. Loved his as our #2, would really like to get him back.

Dizzle43
01-11-2010, 12:55 PM
I'm hoping we can either get a FA CB or draft a CB. William Gay and Deshea Townsend are not acceptable starters.

vrabinec
01-11-2010, 01:01 PM
This could be a huge advantage for us. We're still a good team, regardless of the horrible 5-game losing streak we had. With Troy and Aaron Smith back, the defense improves a lot.

I think the front office should think long and hard about signing guys, as virtually no other playoff team will be able to do so. Indianapolis, San Diego, New England, Cincinnati, Baltimore, and the Jets will only be able to replace guys.

Then again, we rarely make a move in free agency.

If we do, however, here are some guys that will become free agents and I think we should look at:

WR Kevin Walter, Houston - Underrated WR with good hands.

CB Leigh Bodden, New England - He's reverted back to his old self, and is making plays all over the field.

ILB Karlos Dansby, Arizona - Got tagged last year and I believe he can't be tagged again. Probably expensive, but every now and then we do sign an expensive free agent, like James Farrior. Has experience in the 3-4 already.

Some guys who are rumored to get cut that I'd be interested in:

RB Reggie Bush, New Orleans - rumor has it that NO is unhappy with his performance and his compensation, so much that they're willing to cut him. We don't need a star RB, just a fast change-of-pace compliment to Mendenhall. And he could return kicks and punts too.

QB Byron Leftwich, Tampa Bay - Batch will retire this year or next, and there are 3 QB's in front of Leftwich in the depth chart. Loved his as our #2, would really like to get him back.

I wouldn't stop there, I'd talk to just about EVERY free agent out there, then whittle it down to who's willing to come here for reasonable money. I think the Steelers could get a guy like Fabian Washington, Derrick Johnson, Leonard Weaver, or maybe even a guy like Logan Mankins. You're only gonna get one starter IMO, and maybe a couple of guys to play backup roles, but if you can shore up a position like safety or corner or guard, that makes the rest of them a little easier to fix through the draft (assuming we actually start a draft pick or two, which we should this year, because we won't have the luxury of letting them sit a year).

Prok
01-11-2010, 03:35 PM
I, for one, would LOVE for us to be active in FA this year. We are a team that's built to win now IMO. If we land a couple quality guys in FA and have a decent draft we'll be contenders for years IMO.

Still not getting my hopes up for us going after a FA though.

AlleghanyAdams87
01-11-2010, 07:39 PM
Vince Wilfork may test free agency away from the Pats, and at 26, I think it is one of the few times you would ever realistically see the Steelers pay some money for a upper-level free agent.

Steely McSmash
01-11-2010, 08:34 PM
Vince Wilfork may test free agency away from the Pats, and at 26, I think it is one of the few times you would ever realistically see the Steelers pay some money for a upper-level free agent.

He might be worth a look. Someone will probably overpay him. He's a step down from Hampton lately although they don't have the DE in NE to make the line very effective.

BozMan
01-11-2010, 09:08 PM

It would be sickening to see a dirty POS like Wilfork in the Black and Gold. :puke: The situation at NT may get dire, but I hope we don't have to resort to that...

acumen
01-11-2010, 09:16 PM

Very interesting. I like. Allows us flexibility to address the secondary + depth at LB/O-Line without skipping a beat. Realistically, we'll need to get a new starter at corner either from the draft or from a dependable FA. Throw the Hampton money at Wilfork and get younger there then try to pick up a good NT to develop in the later rounds. I like it.

And my brothers a Pats fan, so theres that.

Psyychoward86
01-11-2010, 09:25 PM
Every once in a while, the Steelers DO come up with some big free agent signings/trades. Even though we're great at drafting, sometimes we need an extra boost from an FA or too to supplement some holes on the team.

SteelerFanInStl
01-12-2010, 12:45 PM
It would be sickening to see a dirty POS like Wilfork in the Black and Gold. :puke: The situation at NT may get dire, but I hope we don't have to resort to that...

:iagree: He's a POS. No way I want him on the Steelers.

AlleghanyAdams87
01-12-2010, 07:29 PM
wow, alot of Wilfork hate lol. He will almost undoubtedly go to the Dolphins, who desperately need a NT and he went to Miami. Would be interesting if we could sign him to 4 yrs or so, and really address the rest of the defense. A signing like that could also lead to a trading up for E. Thomas. Haden will probably impress in the draft and end up a top 5 pick

groundhogday
01-13-2010, 06:42 PM
I read AJ Hawk will probably become a FA. Thoughts?

Tone's Toes
01-13-2010, 06:46 PM
I read AJ Hawk will probably become a FA. Thoughts?

I want to vomit or throw something at my tv every time I see that stupid commercial where he's running with his girly hair bouncing and flowing through the wind.