PDA

View Full Version : Omar Khan to interview for Seahawks GM

stillers4me
01-10-2010, 04:28 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/01/10/steelers-khan-will-interview-for-seahawks-gm-job/

Omar Khan, a well-respected front-office executive with the Steelers, will interview for the Seahawks’ general manager vacancy early this week, according to a league source, joining Marc Ross (Giants) and John Schneider (Packers) as finalists.

Khan, who has strong ties to the Rooney family in Pittsburgh and has become a key figure in that organization, also has been tabbed by former Steelers coach Bill Cowher as someone he would want to lead his personnel department whenever he returns to the sideline (Cowher isn’t interested in any vacancies at this time, according to sources). Khan has the title of Business and Football Administration Coordinator and handles the salary cap and negotiations for the Steelers.

As we have reported, the Seahawks’ pursuit of Pete Carroll as coach hasn’t impacted their search for a GM. According to league sources, the team has informed candidates that their title and authority will not be impacted by the hire of a new coach, and the GM position would include roster control.

Carroll has the Seattle job if he wants it, and the sides are still working out the final details of a deal.

Should a pact with Carroll somehow fall apart, Carolina’s John Fox likely would be the next coach pursued by Seattle. Fox has one year left on his deal with the Panthers, but he can get out of that contract under certain circumstances, according to sources.

tony hipchest
01-10-2010, 04:35 PM
shit. hes one of the finest negotiators and capologists in the game. notice how we always are right at the cap, and always get our rookies signed early, and our own free agents right at, or below, market value?

MasterOfPuppets
01-10-2010, 07:35 PM
i haven't heard where seattle has interviewed any minority candidates...or washington for that matter...:noidea:

zulater
01-10-2010, 09:10 PM
NFL.com Blogs
http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/01/10/steelers-khan-will-interview-for-seahawks-gm-job/
Official Blog of the National Football League

Steelers’ Khan will interview for Seahawks’ GM job

Posted: January 10th, 2010 | Jason La Canfora | Tags: Bill Cowher, John Fox, John Schneider, Marc Ross, Omar Khan, Pete Carroll, Pittsburgh Steelers, Seattle Seahawks

Omar Khan, a well-respected front-office executive with the Steelers, will interview for the Seahawks’ general manager vacancy early this week, according to a league source. Khan joins Marc Ross (Giants) and John Schneider (Packers), who will also interview this week, as finalists.

Khan, who has strong ties to the Rooney family in Pittsburgh and has become a key figure in that organization, also has been tabbed by former Steelers coach Bill Cowher as someone he would want to lead his personnel department whenever he returns to the sideline (Cowher isn’t interested in any vacancies at this time, according to sources). Khan has the title of Business and Football Administration Coordinator and handles the salary cap and negotiations for the Steelers.

As we have reported, the Seahawks’ pursuit of Pete Carroll as coach hasn’t impacted their search for a GM. According to league sources, the team has informed candidates that their title and authority will not be impacted by the hire of a new coach, and the GM position would include roster control.

Carroll has the Seattle job if he wants it, and the sides are still working out the final details of a deal.

Should a pact with Carroll somehow fall apart, Carolina’s John Fox likely would be the next coach pursued by Seattle. Fox has one year left on his deal with the Panthers, but he can get out of that contract under certain circumstances, according to sources.

Khan's a great numbers guy, his would be a tough loss to the orginization. I hope they find a way to keep him in Pittsburgh.

Psyychoward86
01-10-2010, 10:07 PM
Im sure im gonna take some hail for this but, who's Khan and what exactly does he do?

zulater
01-10-2010, 10:13 PM
Im sure im gonna take some hail for this but, who's Khan and what exactly does he do?

He's the negotiator Psyycho. He's the guy who keeps the Steelers cap compliant.

Psyychoward86
01-10-2010, 10:28 PM
He's the negotiator Psyycho. He's the guy who keeps the Steelers cap compliant.

Oh wow. Thank God for him

mesaSteeler
01-10-2010, 10:30 PM

He's pretty important.

Khan has the title of Business and Football Administration Coordinator and handles the salary cap and negotiations for the Steelers.

tony hipchest
01-10-2010, 11:09 PM
Oh wow. Thank God for himthis is just a few examples of how good omar kahn is -

timmons who was the 16th overall pick (and represented by the devil, drew rosenhaus) was the 2nd first rounder to sign a contract his rookie season in a day and age when most teams and agents rely on the rest of the players to sign, to set the market value for their drafted slots. in fact, steelers almost always are one of the 1st teams to have all of its draft selections signed.

big ben, polamalu, kiesel, harrison, miller, aaron smith, all signed extensions well below their market value.

steelers have remained under the cap and a champion contender every year kahn has held his position. "salary cap hell" simply isnt a part of his vocabulary.

supa_fly_steeler
01-10-2010, 11:16 PM
eh who cares hire a mathmatical guy.

lol jk.

why would he go to that lowlife wrist slitting place lol.

stay with us omar

SDemt23
01-10-2010, 11:17 PM
im sure he will and can be replaced if he leaves

OneForTheToe
01-11-2010, 01:59 AM
I wouldn't want to negotiate with him that's for sure.

http://thm-a02.yimg.com/nimage/6f2e5441c8764e92

mesaSteeler
01-11-2010, 07:30 AM
I wouldn't want to negotiate with him that's for sure.

http://thm-a02.yimg.com/nimage/6f2e5441c8764e92

:applaudit::applaudit::rofl::rofl::rofl:

SteelerFanInStl
01-11-2010, 09:01 AM
I hope that he stays. He'd be a tough guy to replace.

WeegiesWarriors
01-11-2010, 11:52 AM
I know about Khan and what he does, so my next question isn't because I just found out about the guy. But then what exactly is a G.M. or in our case a Director of Football Operations? If Khan is the guy doing the negotiating then why is Colbert needed? Maybe a better question is who deserves what credit, and who reports to whom?

Colbert and Khan seem to be the left to each other's right hand. Can't one person be responsible for both positions?

Sorry to sound like a 4 year old with a bunch of questions.

7willBheaven
01-11-2010, 12:08 PM
Per Jim Wexell :

"Omar's an excellent numbers man and executive. Steelers have a backup, their former #s man, Dan Ferens, in place."

klick81
01-12-2010, 07:48 PM
I just did a little reading on Khan, and can't help but be impressed by the guy. Started out taping practices, and is now a candidate for the GM position of an NFL team. That's awesome.

devilsdancefloor
01-12-2010, 08:04 PM
I know about Khan and what he does, so my next question isn't because I just found out about the guy. But then what exactly is a G.M. or in our case a Director of Football Operations? If Khan is the guy doing the negotiating then why is Colbert needed? Maybe a better question is who deserves what credit, and who reports to whom?

Colbert and Khan seem to be the left to each other's right hand. Can't one person be responsible for both positions?

Sorry to sound like a 4 year old with a bunch of questions.

kinda sounds like to me cobert & the front office finds the players and it is khans job to get them signed under the cap:noidea:

SteelMember
01-15-2010, 08:09 AM
Steelers Khan a GM finalist in Seattle (http://postgazette.com/pg/10015/1028433-66.stm)

The Seattle Seahawks have narrowed their search for a general manager to two men, including Steelers executive Omar Khan.

Khan, who has been the team's lead negotiator and salary cap monitor the past nine years, and Floyd Reese are the finalists for the Seattle job. Reese was general manager of the Tennessee Titans from 1994-2006 and now is an adviser for the New England Patriots.

Also, another Steelers defensive coach may be on his way out. Ray Horton, who has coached the secondary the past six years, is a candidate for defensive coordinator at the University of Houston.

Linebackers coach Keith Butler is a candidate for defensive coordinator with the Miami Dolphins and defensive assistant Lou Spanos took a job as linebackers coach with the Washington Redskins.

fansince'76
01-19-2010, 12:56 PM
Appears Khan's staying put.

Sources: Seahawks, Schneider agree

By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Green Bay Packers director of football operations John Schneider has been chosen as the new general manager of the Seattle Seahawks, league and team sources said.

Schneider, 38, will be in his second stint with the Seahawks, having served in the club's front office in 2000. Seattle last week named Pete Carroll of USC as the team's new head coach, replacing the deposed Jim Mora, and then sought out to hire a general manager.

Schneider and Patriots senior executive Floyd Reese were the two finalists for the job, and the Seahawks zeroed in on Schneider, who already has taken two trips to Seattle.

A native of Wisconsin, Schneider has a wide and diverse resume in the league. He joined the NFL in 1992 as a personnel intern to then-Packers general manager Ron Wolf, and in addition to his time in Green Bay, has worked in the front offices of Kansas City (1997-99), Seattle (2000), and Washington (2001). He rejoined the Packers in 2002 as the personnel analyst to general manager Ted Thompson and was promoted into his current post in 2008.

A graduate of the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul, Minn., Schneider played one season of college football before his career was ended by a shoulder injury.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com. Information from ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen and ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter was used in this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4838384

SteelMember
01-19-2010, 01:03 PM
What? Fansince'76 linking an ESPN (DisneyII) article... :chuckle:

Funny, they don't even reference Kahn as a finalist in the atricle.

Anyway. Glad he's still with the club. He does a great job for us.

fansince'76
01-19-2010, 01:05 PM
What? Fansince'76 linking an ESPN (DisneyII) article... :chuckle:

Funny, they don't even reference Kahn as a finalist in the atricle.

Anyway. Glad he's still with the club. He does a great job for us.

:chuckle:

Normally I wouldn't quote a Disney Channel II article, but this is the first time I've seen anything about it since Khan was interviewed.

X-Terminator
01-19-2010, 02:25 PM
:chuckle:

Normally I wouldn't quote a Disney Channel II article, but this is the first time I've seen anything about it since Khan was interviewed.

The PG is reporting it now - perhaps you want to switch links to get that bitter taste out of your mouth? :chuckle:

markymarc
01-19-2010, 04:30 PM
I am glad to hear Omar Khan will be returning to the Steelers. Does anyone believe Omar could eventually replace Kevin Colbert once he leaves?

tony hipchest
01-19-2010, 05:23 PM
I am glad to hear Omar Khan will be returning to the Steelers. Does anyone believe Omar could eventually replace Kevin Colbert once he leaves?no, colbert is more into the talent, scouting, trading, the people side and omars responsibility are more the money, negotiating, cap, and dealing with players agents.

i think omar would have to work with a head coach like pete carroll or mike shanahan who will have primary scouting, recruiting, evaluating, and drafting responsibilities.

oh, and fansince... if it makes you feel better the news broke on twitter before espn. :chuckle:

fansince'76
01-19-2010, 06:36 PM
oh, and fansince... if it makes you feel better the news broke on twitter before espn. :chuckle:

Gee, that's special.

markymarc
01-22-2010, 01:05 PM
no, colbert is more into the talent, scouting, trading, the people side and omars responsibility are more the money, negotiating, cap, and dealing with players agents.

i think omar would have to work with a head coach like pete carroll or mike shanahan who will have primary scouting, recruiting, evaluating, and drafting responsibilities.

Thanks for answering my question Tony! I just keep hearing how Omar wants to be in a position like GM for an NFL franchise. Maybe Omar needs to approach Kevin and ask to work more closely with him to learn that side of the business.

You are correct in how sometimes news breaks on Twitter prior to ESPN and other major networks.