PDA

View Full Version : Is Ray Rice that much better than Rashard?

Raw Steel
01-10-2010, 05:49 PM
I have to think not that much if at all. I think it''s the way they use him and their commitment to the running game. I really think Mendy could catch 40 balls out of the backfield if they made that a priority. Of course that would make too much sense to use your most talented players.

smokin3000gt
01-10-2010, 05:55 PM
I have to think not that much if at all. I think it''s the way they use him and their commitment to the running game. I really think Mendy could catch 40 balls out of the backfield if they made that a priority. Of course that would make too much sense to use your most talented players.

I think he also has one more year under his belt than mendy. I'm excited about what this kid not only has brought but I think we've yet to see his potential.

X-Terminator
01-10-2010, 06:20 PM
Ray Rice is basically the Ravens' offense. So it's no wonder he has put up the numbers that he has. Outside of Joe Flacco and maybe Todd Heap, they have no one else who strikes fear into anyone. If you shut Rice down, you shut down their offense, whereas if you shut Mendenhall down, the Steelers still have Ben, Hines, Santo, Heath and "60 Minutes" to turn to.

Larry
01-10-2010, 06:33 PM
Ray Rice is basically the Ravens' offense. So it's no wonder he has put up the numbers that he has. Outside of Joe Flacco and maybe Todd Heap, they have no one else who strikes fear into anyone. If you shut Rice down, you shut down their offense, whereas if you shut Mendenhall down, the Steelers still have Ben, Hines, Santo, Heath and "60 Minutes" to turn to.

WOW, way to not give credit to their offensive line and make yourself look like a football ignoramus. It's not just one player, it's not about stopping just one player. You think teams don't know about Ray Rice? :noidea:

Hotrodder07
01-10-2010, 07:10 PM
At this point, I would say that Ray Rice has the edge over Rashard, but it's not by much. Ray has had more playing time than Rashard, so I guess we'll have to wait and see to get a more accurate view on the subject. Right now, I'm happy to have Mendenhall, because he's only going to get better. Hopefully we'll get him the ball more in this coming season.

Steelers>NFL
01-10-2010, 07:19 PM
Well the Raven's offensive line is better than the Steelers. No doubt.
They used some good draft picks putting together their line in the last 2 or 3 years.
Unlike the Steelers, more or less patchwork or bottom of barrel type draft picks.

AlleghanyAdams87
01-10-2010, 07:25 PM
I think in the long run, Mendenhall will have a more productive career. Rice got through this year healthy, but last year had injury issues. Small backs who get that many touches do not last more then 4 years in the NFL. But for right now, Ray Rice running behind a good run-blocking o-line, and being the dump down guy for a struggling QB, he is playing better.

Cinnjerm
01-10-2010, 07:25 PM
At this point, I would say that Ray Rice has the edge over Rashard, but it's not by much. Ray has had more playing time than Rashard, so I guess we'll have to wait and see to get a more accurate view on the subject. Right now, I'm happy to have Mendenhall, because he's only going to get better. Hopefully we'll get him the ball more in this coming season.

This. I mean Mendy didn't even start until like the fourth game of the season and finished with only a little over 200 fewer yards. So to answer your question, I say the verdict is still out.

Vincent
01-10-2010, 07:28 PM
Cam Cameron is that much better than BA.

Rockonsteel
01-10-2010, 07:29 PM
Cam Cameron is that much better than BA.

Yessirr!!!

Rockon

supa_fly_steeler
01-10-2010, 07:31 PM
if mike wallace played running back, he would put numbers up like chris johnson.

speed kills, mendenhall crushes, ray rice is just slippery wait until clark rapes him one play.

RoethlisBURGHer
First off, I don't think it's the talent level that is the difference between the two backs.

The philosophies are different in Baltimore and Pittsburgh. Baltimore focuses on a power running game and lets that set up the pass, much how we used to be.

Pittsburgh lets a high-powered passing game set up the run, if they are going to run it.

Baltimore's offensive line is also better. Lots of first and second round draft picks on their line.

When was the last time the Steelers used a second round pick on an offensive lineman? The last time we used a first rounder was when we selected Faneca.

I think Mendenhall will be a much bigger part of the offense in the 2010 season since we now know what we have in him. His rookie year was a waste with his shoulder injury.

Tone's Toes
Grubbs, Oher, Birk etc. >>>>>>>>> Steelers O-Line

Ray Rice could be the better back right now. I think he has a much better O-Line though, so it's tough to compare them fairly.

I think Rashard is a bigger, more talented player, but that doesn't necessarily make him a better player.

I'm not sure who's better right now.

supa_fly_steeler
01-10-2010, 07:32 PM
First off, I don't think it's the talent level that is the difference between the two backs.

The philosophies are different in Baltimore and Pittsburgh. Baltimore focuses on a power running game and lets that set up the pass, much how we used to be.

Pittsburgh lets a high-powered passing game set up the run, if they are going to run it.

Baltimore's defensive line is also better. Lots of first and second round draft picks on their line.

When was the last time the Steelers used a second round pick on an offensive lineman? The last time we used a first rounder was when we selected Faneca.

I think Mendenhall will be a much bigger part of the offense in the 2010 season since we now know what we have in him. His rookie year was a waste with his shoulder injury.

might wanna change defensive line to offensive line.

pepsyman1
01-10-2010, 07:37 PM
The Ravens have been more committed to using Rice than we've been in using Mendi. On top of that, other than Mewelde Moore, we really haven't attempted to have our RB involved in the passing game. I've always heard that FWP wasn't a good receiver, but I would have liked to see them work him into the offense the way Philadelphia has always used Westbrook. Getting FWP outside the tackles on a few screen passes would have been a good option. We've seen Mendi used a little bit receiving, but checking down to the running back doesn't seem to be a big part of Arians game plan. As for rushing the ball, we obviously aren't that committed to moving the ball on the ground. Hopefully, after the meeting with Tomlin, we will have a little better balance next year.

X-Terminator
01-10-2010, 07:38 PM
WOW, way to not give credit to their offensive line and make yourself look like a football ignoramus. It's not just one player, it's not about stopping just one player. You think teams don't know about Ray Rice? :noidea:

Excuse me???? Maybe you should read some of my posts in the Raven and Steelers thread where I specifically mentioned how good the Ravens' OL is and that they were why they were able to execute their game plan against the Pats* to perfection. It still doesn't change the fact that Ray Rice is their offense and if you stop him, you stop the Ravens' O because their passing attack doesn't scare anybody.

In fact, here is one such post:

They don't have the OL to be running 30-40 times per game effectively either. That, of course, points to a problem that seems to be overlooked by those who constantly bash Arians...the OL being average at best. There's a reason why the Ravens were able to execute their game plan so well - they have a MUCH better OL than the Steelers do. If the OL improves and we run the ball better next season, we will definitely see more balance. Otherwise, expect more passes than runs again, because that will be the team's strength, like it or not.

So who looks like a "football ignoramus" now? Actually, you're just an ignoramus.

Galax Steeler
01-11-2010, 04:22 AM
I don't think Rice is no better then Mendenhall. Like some one stated above Mendenhall didn't start playing until the fourth game of the season and he almost had as many yards as Rice. So I don't see much difference.

lionslicer
01-11-2010, 04:45 AM
Ray Rice has a much better line, they both are very strong and very fast backs. But its difficult to tell because we'd have to see how Rashard plays with a better OL.

Milkman
01-11-2010, 04:59 AM
Basically for me, Rice is better on one important account...he doesn't have a fumbling problem.
End of story.

Steeldude
01-11-2010, 07:15 AM
Is Ray Rice that much better than Rashard?

looks to be that way so far.

HometownGal
01-11-2010, 07:29 AM
As of this moment - I'd have to say Rice is "better" than Mendy for all of the reasons enunciated in this thread. Rice really is pretty much their entire offense and the Rats are, for the most part, a running team with a stellar OL, unlike us. Yesterday's playoff matchup is proof positive that without Rice, the Rats are pretty much a mediocre O, though I believe Flacco has a plethora of talent but really no one outside of Heap and occasionally Mason as reliable targets.

Do I believe Mendy has the raw talent and ability to emulate Rice? Hell yes. Numbers don't mean jack shit - it's the contributions of the individual player which makes him invaluable and I think Mendy can and will be that invaluable player over the next season or two.

scsteeler
01-11-2010, 08:21 AM

I think the Offensive Line play and commitment to the run helps his numbers. I will have to see more than this year to say he is much better.

BubbyBrister
01-11-2010, 08:29 AM
I don't think Rice is no better then Mendenhall. Like some one stated above Mendenhall didn't start playing until the fourth game of the season and he almost had as many yards as Rice. So I don't see much difference.

Almost as many rushing yards, but I believe that Ray Rice also led his team in receiving.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-11-2010, 08:58 AM
Well the Raven's offensive line is better than the Steelers. No doubt.
They used some good draft picks putting together their line in the last 2 or 3 years.
Unlike the Steelers, more or less patchwork or bottom of barrel type draft picks.

Agreed!!! Gaither and Oher are probably 2 of the best 10 LT's in the NFL. Grubbs a possible top 5 OG and Birk a solid center.

Give Mendenhall that O line, a FB like LeRon McLain and 20-25 carries a game and see what happens. :doh:

Ravnet
01-11-2010, 11:44 AM
wait until clark rapes him one play.

A.) Clark is bad.

B.) Nice use of rape.

Edman
01-11-2010, 12:00 PM
Cam Cameron and the Ravens Offensive staff are far superior to Brucey and Larry, and the Ravens OL is much better than ours.

As for the guy who brought up Ryan Clark, he, like everyone else in the keystone cop secondary of the Steelers, are average to crap without Troy.

Angus Burgher
01-11-2010, 12:04 PM
I think they are both good RBs... the problem is, they know how to implement effective running schemes. We don't.

Also, yeah, I agree 1000% that their O-Line is light years ahead of our guys.

Larry
01-11-2010, 12:09 PM
if mike wallace played running back, he would put numbers up like chris johnson.

speed kills, mendenhall crushes, ray rice is just slippery wait until clark rapes him one play.

:rofl:

I seem to remember Ray Rice bowling over Clark multiple times...by rape do you mean helmet to helmet hit? That seems to be Clark's forte. I still for the life of me don't understand why some fans love Ryan Clark.

supa_fly_steeler
01-11-2010, 01:38 PM
:rofl:

I seem to remember Ray Rice bowling over Clark multiple times...by rape do you mean helmet to helmet hit? That seems to be Clark's forte. I still for the life of me don't understand why some fans love Ryan Clark.

helmet huh? do u want me to get a hd video so u can not only see the shoulder hit but mcgahees face expression?

clark went low and stopped the tackle.

if he got hit like mcgahee he will lay stone cold in a crumpled heap asking steeler fans to shed a tear for that asshole... when mendenhall got broken collarbone he got right up.

u just remember this someday ray rice is gonna get hit and wont get up.

but that did happen, in the afc championship clark crushed rice at the line of scrimmage so he went out of the game lol only had the ball once poor little dude can't handle the rivalry beasts.

Galax Steeler
01-11-2010, 03:19 PM
Basically for me, Rice is better on one important account...he doesn't have a fumbling problem.
End of story.

They both lost 3 fumbles each this year in regular season so how does that make Rice better. End of story.:flap:

Cinnjerm
01-11-2010, 04:45 PM
I think the Offensive Line play and commitment to the run helps his numbers. I will have to see more than this year to say he is much better.

This.

supa_fly_steeler
01-11-2010, 05:57 PM
They both lost 3 fumbles each this year in regular season so how does that make Rice better. End of story.:flap:

that also means ray rice fumbled more on average because he started every game according to nfl.com whilst mendenhall was backup for the first 3.

Larry
01-12-2010, 06:16 PM
helmet huh? do u want me to get a hd video so u can not only see the shoulder hit but mcgahees face expression?

clark went low and stopped the tackle.

if he got hit like mcgahee he will lay stone cold in a crumpled heap asking steeler fans to shed a tear for that asshole... when mendenhall got broken collarbone he got right up.

u just remember this someday ray rice is gonna get hit and wont get up.

but that did happen, in the afc championship clark crushed rice at the line of scrimmage so he went out of the game lol only had the ball once poor little dude can't handle the rivalry beasts.

Man you're a nutjob. Hilarious how defensive you are, and how you immediately start talking about the Mcgahee hit :rofl:

People can have their opinions about the unclear helmet to helmet rules, but I'm not just talking about one hit. Did you forget the Oakland game? You know, the one where we got embarrassed at home?

Don't wish injury on players, you make Steelers fans look bad.

supa_fly_steeler
01-12-2010, 06:46 PM
Man you're a nutjob. Hilarious how defensive you are, and how you immediately start talking about the Mcgahee hit :rofl:

People can have their opinions about the unclear helmet to helmet rules, but I'm not just talking about one hit. Did you forget the Oakland game? You know, the one where we got embarrassed at home?

Don't wish injury on players, you make Steelers fans look bad.

im not wishing injury i garuntee it you, and also i said if he did, thats not wishing thats predicting what would happen to him if it did go learn english, obviously know nothing about the rivalry and the hard hits involved on both sides. do you think hes going to prounce around the pitch twice a year and be unscatched and probably play the steelers 20 times in his career.

he's a small dude he's nothing like maurice jones drew where he can truck through defenders if james harrison has a good shot to lay him out like how he did to ed reed he wont get up lol

ur a idiot arn't you u said how clark hits helmet first he didnt it's mcgahees fault for tucking his head in going into clarks helmet.

like i care if he starts talking trash in training camp before saying how he is going to run all over us in 2008 lol we ran all over him.

Larry
01-12-2010, 08:06 PM
im not wishing injury i garuntee it you, and also i said if he did, thats not wishing thats predicting what would happen to him if it did go learn english, obviously know nothing about the rivalry and the hard hits involved on both sides. do you think hes going to prounce around the pitch twice a year and be unscatched and probably play the steelers 20 times in his career.

he's a small dude he's nothing like maurice jones drew where he can truck through defenders if james harrison has a good shot to lay him out like how he did to ed reed he wont get up lol

ur a idiot arn't you u said how clark hits helmet first he didnt it's mcgahees fault for tucking his head in going into clarks helmet.

like i care if he starts talking trash in training camp before saying how he is going to run all over us in 2008 lol we ran all over him.

Ok...didn't realize you barely knew English.

i82much
01-12-2010, 09:13 PM
that also means ray rice fumbled more on average because he started every game according to nfl.com whilst mendenhall was backup for the first 3.

Can you do the math for me? I'd be interested to see how that works out.

Milkman
01-13-2010, 05:35 AM

If Rice handled the ball more than Mendy, then his average would be better (meaning he lost a fumble less per carry).

As far as the fumbling goes, Mendy just seems to lose the ball at the worst times.

It doesn't matter how good you are if you can't hang onto the rock.

Ravnet
01-13-2010, 08:21 AM

Don't confuse yourself, buddy.

vrabinec
01-13-2010, 09:51 AM
When it comes to talent, I don't think Rice has anything on Mendy. But Rice came into camp better prepared as a rookie this year than Mendy did. So I think he's more dedicated. Then, when Kemo got hurt, suddenly Mendy didn't have as good of a line as Rice (IMO, it was fairly close as a run blocking line to the Ravens' line before Kemo went down). Remember that pass Ben threw Mendy at the goalline where Mendy didn't keep his feet in bounds? That's all perparation. If Mnedy comes into camp ready next year, then IMO hell put up better numbers than Rice and thereafter as well, because little guys like Rice wear down quickly.

Crow-Magnon
01-13-2010, 10:46 AM
When it comes to talent, I don't think Rice has anything on Mendy. But Rice came into camp better prepared as a rookie this year than Mendy did. So I think he's more dedicated. Then, when Kemo got hurt, suddenly Mendy didn't have as good of a line as Rice (IMO, it was fairly close as a run blocking line to the Ravens' line before Kemo went down). Remember that pass Ben threw Mendy at the goalline where Mendy didn't keep his feet in bounds? That's all perparation. If Mnedy comes into camp ready next year, then IMO hell put up better numbers than Rice and thereafter as well, because little guys like Rice wear down quickly.

They are both good backs, but I don't think Mendenhall makes his cuts as quickly and decisively as Rice does at this time.

PalmerSteel
01-13-2010, 10:52 AM
rice was definately ahead of mendy at the beginning of the season but mendy has improved drastically from game 1 to game 17 so i think next year we will truly see wich one can possibly be put in that top 5 ranking. maybe both?

Ravnet
01-13-2010, 02:40 PM
because little guys like Emmitt Smith wear down quickly.

:noidea:

Larry
01-13-2010, 03:46 PM

Ever heard of Barry Sanders?

43Hitman
01-13-2010, 04:03 PM
Ever heard of Barry Sanders?

hahaha, Barry Sander is a once in a generation back, and to compare Rice to him is ignorant at best.

Psyychoward86
01-13-2010, 04:53 PM
little guys like Rice wear down quickly.

Um, there's lots of scatbacks that have had long and productive careers. Barry Sanders? Marshall Faulk? Warrick Dunn? Dunn was a feature back at age 34.....

and Rice is listed at 210lb, that's almost average tbh

Crow-Magnon
01-13-2010, 07:27 PM
hahaha, Barry Sander is a once in a generation back, and to compare Rice to him is ignorant at best.

At this stage of his career, yes. But he does remind me a lot of Sanders. God, if he would have played for a contender, he'd have set records that would probably never have been broken. Barry was freakin' awesome!

Larry
01-13-2010, 08:44 PM

I swear, half the people here have no comprehension or reasoning skills. I didn't compare Rice to Barry Sanders, although some have. I responded to the notion that smaller backs wear down quickly. Psyychoward86 responded the same way, with a couple more examples. Pay attention to the context so people don't have to clarify obvious things.

Psyychoward86
01-13-2010, 08:57 PM
At this stage of his career, yes. But he does remind me a lot of Sanders. God, if he would have played for a contender, he'd have set records that would probably never have been broken. Barry was freakin' awesome!

comparing any RB, better or worse than Sanders is laughable. No one in NFL history ran with the kind of risk/reward element that he played with.

I swear, half the people here have no comprehension or reasoning skills. I didn't compare Rice to Barry Sanders, although some have. I responded to the notion that smaller backs wear down quickly. Psyychoward86 responded the same way, with a couple more examples. Pay attention to the context so people don't have to clarify obvious things.

um, no. My point is that there is no correlation to smaller backs having shorter careers.

Larry
01-13-2010, 09:31 PM
comparing any RB, better or worse than Sanders is laughable. No one in NFL history ran with the kind of risk/reward element that he played with.

um, no. My point is that there is no correlation to smaller backs having shorter careers.

Um, yes, because that was exactly my point as well. I just used the most obvious example, you gave 3.

steelerdave1969
01-13-2010, 09:34 PM

Ray Rice is an excellent back, and also runs behind a much Better Offensiveline in Baltimore as well. But he is a totally different back that Mendenhall is. You put Willie Parker behind that line in Baltimore and he would be a great back there as well. I love Ray Rice and had hoped that the Steelers would take him a couple years back, but just didnt happen that way.

Psyychoward86
01-13-2010, 09:40 PM
Um, yes, because that was exactly my point as well. I just used the most obvious example, you gave 3.

"Little guys like rice wear down quickly"

huh

Larry
01-14-2010, 01:17 AM
Um, there's lots of scatbacks that have had long and productive careers. Barry Sanders? Marshall Faulk? Warrick Dunn? Dunn was a feature back at age 34.....

My point is that there is no correlation to smaller backs having shorter careers.

This is what I was implying when I said "ever heard of Barry Sanders," and I agree with you.

Galax Steeler
01-14-2010, 03:46 AM
Mendenhall is used alot different then Rice. Rice is about 80% of the Ravens offense he sees alot more plays. Pittsburgh has alot more weapons and Mendenhall dosen't see the ball as much as Rice.