PDA

View Full Version : Gay - An upgrade at corner?

steelerchad
01-10-2010, 06:21 PM
As bad as he was this year, he may be better than BMac.
After watching this playoff game it looks like having a horrible secondary is common in this league.

zulater
01-10-2010, 06:31 PM
Honestly I don't care at this time.

But what a helluva offensive showing by both teams in this game today!

LamarrWoodleysFade
01-10-2010, 06:41 PM
McFadden is getting abused tonight...

MasterOfPuppets
01-10-2010, 06:47 PM
cardinal fans have been bitching just as much about bmac than steeler fans are about gay....:noidea:
the only difference is gay is being paid much less to suck.... (no pun intended)

fansince'76
01-10-2010, 06:50 PM
cardinal fans have been bitching just as much about bmac than steeler fans are about gay....:noidea:
the only difference is gay is being paid much less to suck.... (no pun intended)

Like $4 mil and some change per season less.

GodfatherofSoul
01-10-2010, 07:37 PM
First game I've seen of the Cardinals this year and he didn't look very good.

Vincent
01-10-2010, 07:41 PM
First game I've seen of the Cardinals this year and he didn't look very good.

He looked Gay.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
01-10-2010, 07:43 PM
it was one game... sometimes there are games like this that make no sense, but it was happening on both sides. do i wish we still had mcfadden? you bet i do...

steelreserve
01-10-2010, 08:40 PM
Of course I wish we'd signed McFadden. He went for something like $4-5 million a year, and we had $4-5 million in cap space that we didn't use at all. It just went to waste.

I really don't care what he's doing on the Cardinals. So he doesn't look as good going to a new team where defense isn't exactly a priority -- big whoop. All the sour grapes/good riddance/trust the front office talk in the world doesn't change the fact that we took a chance on Gay and he wasn't ready to be thrown into the fire yet. If we had a little better corner play this year, we might still be playing.

SMR
01-10-2010, 08:55 PM
He looked Gay.

lol. Still I wished we retained him. He might have helped us a bit in winning one of the games we lost. We will never know. sigh.....
:noidea:

wootawnee
01-10-2010, 09:55 PM
A game like that doesnt matter how good your d is.......Its called a shootout......And everyone gets burned........It just comes down from the heavens and smokes everyone....

SDemt23
01-10-2010, 10:14 PM
actually hes been getting burnt all season, but anyways read his blog that he just posted talking about the packers game

http://www.bryantmcfadden25.com/blog.html

SDemt23
01-10-2010, 10:18 PM
b-mac is a way better corner then gay

supa_fly_steeler
01-10-2010, 10:19 PM
it was one game... sometimes there are games like this that make no sense, but it was happening on both sides. do i wish we still had mcfadden? you bet i do...

no my friend, this happened all season.

was toyed with britt and young all the time on the 99 yard drive. ouch.

SteelCityMom
01-10-2010, 10:21 PM

Lol, it wasn't just one game...BMac has been getting burnt all year long down in AZ, and not from the sun.

It's been mentioned before, and it bears repeating...we got equal suck out of Gay for a lot less money.

fansince'76
01-10-2010, 10:26 PM
b-mac is a way better corner then gay

Yeah, that really showed all season and today.

stb_steeler
Not much of a loss there. I dont think it was a bad decision to let him go.

SDemt23
even thoe b-mac has been getting burnt all season long i stll would rather him starting over gay, i never really seen him get burnt while here on the steelers...if he did tell me the game and who was the QB?

supa_fly_steeler
01-10-2010, 10:32 PM
even thoe b-mac has been getting burnt all season long i stll would rather him starting over gay, i never really seen him get burnt while here on the steelers...if he did tell me the game and who was the QB?

he would of this season.

Gay started at corner 4 times last season no team got over 200 yards...

we should wait until next season to decide, it was generally a bad secondary year we were playing awesome against the titans until about near second half ending then it collapsed.

we own this league my bitches our secondary has more talent than the jets.

supa_fly_steeler
01-10-2010, 10:38 PM
*McFadden was 10 yards off the guy he was covering nearly every play, even when its 3rd and 5. On a couple of plays though, the pass and catch were perfect.

cards boards.... just how Gay plays.

night peeps i sleep well tonight knowing gay is better than bmac.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-11-2010, 08:54 AM
I think Gay bulked up too much this offseason and lost some speed. I also think he lapsed on his technique once becoming a starter and probably focused too much on assignment. Just a poor jump into a starting role, but hope he will get another contract from us at a reasonable cost.

Rick5895
01-11-2010, 08:58 AM
I think Gay bulked up too much this offseason and lost some speed. I also think he lapsed on his technique once becoming a starter and probably focused too much on assignment. Just a poor jump into a starting role, but hope he will get another contract from us at a reasonable cost.

I agree, I think gay deserves some time, I don't think he was ready to start this past season, and it showed.

Prok
01-11-2010, 09:00 AM
I think most of Gay's problem is that he lost confidence in his game somewhat. Matter of fact, it seems to me that after he got run over by Adrian Peterson he seemed to steady decline from that point on.

steelreserve
01-11-2010, 11:35 AM
Yeah, that really showed all season and today.

We know, we know. OMG, McFadden sucks in hindsight, OMG good riddance in hindsight.

You think it could have something to do with the fact that he's surrounded by assholes and trying to learn a new system, from a defensive coaching staff that's sucked since the team has been in existence?

Yeah, we get it. His numbers aren't as good as when he was on the Steelers. I bet he would've done worse if he went to the Lions, too. What's your point?

fansince'76
01-11-2010, 11:37 AM
We know, we know. OMG, McFadden sucks in hindsight, OMG good riddance in hindsight.

You think it could have something to do with the fact that he's surrounded by assholes and trying to learn a new system, from a defensive coaching staff that's sucked since the team has been in existence?

Yeah, we get it. His numbers aren't as good as when he was on the Steelers. I bet he would've done worse if he went to the Lions, too. What's your point?

Umm, he became part of a secondary that landed two of its members on the Pro Bowl team this year. What's your point? That our secondary wouldn't have been the sieve it was all year if only we had the Mighty McFadden instead of Gay? Please.

steelreserve
01-11-2010, 12:00 PM
Umm, he became part of a secondary that landed two of its members on the Pro Bowl team this year. What's your point? That our secondary wouldn't have been the sieve it was all year if only we had the Mighty McFadden instead of Gay? Please.

No, but both he and our secondary probably would've been somewhat better than they were this year. Maybe good enough to win another game or two, which is really all that would've mattered.

The Cardinals have a defense with a scattering of individual talent, but I don't really see them playing very well as a unit. You can get a couple Pro Bowlers that way, but generally it's going to reflect poorly on most players.

Probably would've helped if we had more continuity in the defensive backfield, too. Replacing half the DBs at once isn't really helpful. Or does that only apply to the offensive line?

Bottom line is, Gay wasn't ready this year, and there's no way around it. On third downs, it was either a sack or a first-down completion. I don't really care what kind of yeah-but justification there is for speculation that McFadden wouldn't have helped, but since we had the cap space after all, I don't see how we benefit by NOT having him around. Which is basically what you're arguing.

supa_fly_steeler
01-11-2010, 02:06 PM

lol mighty mcfadden lol

@steelreserve

reason we didnt keep mcfadden around was because he wanted 5 million a year based on their 2008 performence gay was exactly the same but only cost 500k this year to keep around what happened if we gave him the big contract this year and he played his arizona form for us at pittsburgh.

u would be hating on mcfadden. gay can get alot better he already showed he can play the ball game 4 times last year.

steelreserve
01-11-2010, 02:20 PM
lol mighty mcfadden lol

@steelreserve

reason we didnt keep mcfadden around was because he wanted 5 million a year based on their 2008 performence gay was exactly the same but only cost 500k this year to keep around what happened if we gave him the big contract this year and he played his arizona form for us at pittsburgh.

u would be hating on mcfadden. gay can get alot better he already showed he can play the ball game 4 times last year.

Gay probably will get better. He wasn't ready this year though, that's for sure. I'm not saying cut him or anything, like some people will undoubtedly accuse me of. But this was a pretty sub-par performance.

I just don't see why we didn't keep McFadden for $5 million when THAT'S HOW MUCH EXTRA CAP SPACE WE HAD THIS YEAR. WE NEVER USED IT. WE DIDN'T RE-SIGN CLARK OR HOLMES OR ANYONE ELSE. WE JUST LET IT GO TO WASTE. I know it was almost entirely based on money, but we HAD the money after all. Pretty frustrating to think about that every time Gay was alone in single coverage and slipped and fell right on his ass again.

McFadden playing in his Arizona form probably wouldn't happen, because this isn't Arizona. I don't know why peopel think I'm making him out to be the best cornerback in the history of the game, because I'm not, but I'm saying he probably would have been adequate. Or at least closer to it than we got THIS YEAR.

supa_fly_steeler
01-11-2010, 02:38 PM
we still have that 5 million left, which could be used to sign clark ect... theres always a plan when u have cap money. that 5 million stays with us if it is an capped year.

arizona at the moment has the far better secondary in rolle, wilson and rodgers cromartie and as you say mcfadden, thats a pretty good secondary if u ask me, mike tomlin thought with colbert that gay is the better player than mcfadden hence letting him go... mcfadden can always come back dont forget it's only a 2 year deal and if he has another porus year of showing he might be jobless and could maybe come back.

gay might of slipped but he didnt constantly give up 40 yard pass plays like mcfadden did, i was on the verge of tears when i saw mcfadden getting fooled around by vince young goddamit i couldnt believe the site as one of my fav ex steelers were playing so bad thoroughly through the season.

for me Gay was playing fine until he played the game after denver and cincinnati where he regressed badly enough to be benched.

The reason mcfadden wouldn't of got benched because a 5ft 9 michael adams covering a 6ft 4 fitzgerald or 6ft 1 boldin would cause trouble.

steelcity1974
01-11-2010, 03:11 PM
They both suck...let's get a guy like Revis.

fansince'76
01-11-2010, 03:20 PM

Now this I can agree with.

steelreserve
01-11-2010, 03:36 PM
arizona at the moment has the far better secondary in rolle, wilson and rodgers cromartie and as you say mcfadden, thats a pretty good secondary if u ask me, mike tomlin thought with colbert that gay is the better player than mcfadden hence letting him go... mcfadden can always come back dont forget it's only a 2 year deal and if he has another porus year of showing he might be jobless and could maybe come back.

gay might of slipped but he didnt constantly give up 40 yard pass plays like mcfadden did, i was on the verge of tears when i saw mcfadden getting fooled around by vince young goddamit i couldnt believe the site as one of my fav ex steelers were playing so bad thoroughly through the season.

It's not so much that I want McFadden BACK. He's gone, and after the end of next season, hopefully either Gay will have improved enough to be ready, or Burnett or Lewis will, or we'll have another plan. I just think he could've done us some good this past season.

I'm thinking a BIG part of his problems in Arizona are that the defensive line and LBs are just OK -- their run defense is so-so, and while they get a decent number of sacks, they're not exactly right there in your face all the time. That kind of stuff puts a lot more pressure on your DBs, and well, I think the guy would've done a little better in our system.

Ahh well. Kind of pointless looking back at this, since the bottom line is we need to either find a new DB or hope we have the right one on our roster now, and McFadden definitely isn't going ot help with that.

ricardisimo
01-11-2010, 04:03 PM
I think most of Gay's problem is that he lost confidence in his game somewhat. Matter of fact, it seems to me that after he got run over by Adrian Peterson he seemed to steady decline from that point on.

Perzaktly. From that very moment he was playing scared, it seems to me. As bad as his numbers are, I remind everyone that Ike was the guy teams were throwing towards, and consciously so. The fact that Gay has higher tackling numbers might actually say something positive about him in this case.

ricardisimo
01-11-2010, 04:06 PM

Just think: We came one Mike Tomlin pre-Draft interview from getting both Revis and Woodley in the same draft. Timmons is good, but can you imagine how we would have done this year with an honest-to-goodness shutdown corner?

nikstar
01-11-2010, 06:04 PM
Mcfad is a perfectly good NFL corner, not only was the game a shootout but he actually held his own in various assignments and played somewhat good curtain coverage.

I made a half time prediction of and ARZ pick 6 for the win and I honestly thought it was going to be him doing it. When Dansby ran it in overtime I thought it was Haggans at first

Once a Steeler always a Steeler

Steely_J
01-11-2010, 08:49 PM
As bad as he was this year, he may be better than BMac.
After watching this playoff game it looks like having a horrible secondary is common in this league.

I'm willing to give Gay another chance... dude was getting picked on this season hard core. Who I'm really fed up with is Ike Taylor. He's athletic yes.. but is dumb as a rock.

pancake
01-11-2010, 09:12 PM
Just think: We came one Mike Tomlin pre-Draft interview from getting both Revis and Woodley in the same draft. Timmons is good, but can you imagine how we would have done this year with an honest-to-goodness shutdown corner?

That would have been awesome!!!

supa_fly_steeler
01-12-2010, 02:08 AM
Were never going to get another Revis, that dude is one of a kind, maybe he might go down as the best shutdown corner of all time.

ricardisimo
01-12-2010, 02:24 AM
Hey, we already had Rod Woodson, whom I'd take any day of the week, over Revis or anybody else. There's somebody else out there, I'm sure.

supa_fly_steeler
01-12-2010, 02:30 AM
Hey, we already had Rod Woodson, whom I'd take any day of the week, over Revis or anybody else. There's somebody else out there, I'm sure.

I don't think Woodson shutdown recievers like Revis did, but Woodson ball hawk'd just like LeBeau did.

lionslicer
01-12-2010, 02:46 AM
I don't think Woodson shutdown recievers like Revis did, but Woodson ball hawk'd just like LeBeau did.

Woodson was physical, and the illegal contact downfield rule wasn't as inforced when he played as it is now.

We'll never have enough money to pay for a shutdown corner like Revis. We pay so much money just to our core linebackers.

And people forget Ike Taylor is 6'1, he's like the tallest corner in the NFL, they are all around 5'10 or shorter. He has shut down Tall recievers like Moss before. He also runs a 4.26 He's extremely fast and can jump. Townsend runs a 4.60 and Gay runs a 4.45, both slow compared to most recievers in the NFL.

supa_fly_steeler
01-12-2010, 02:49 AM
Woodson was physical, and the illegal contact downfield rule wasn't as inforced when he played as it is now.

We'll never have enough money to pay for a shutdown corner like Revis. We pay so much money just to our core linebackers.

That's always been Pittsburghs identity the mean linebackers and the defensive line.

a plus of a physical saftey like polamalu is a plus, thats probably why.

solardave
01-12-2010, 03:04 AM
Like $4 mil and some change per season less.

That's the price you pay for trying to turn Arizona into Steelers west.