PDA

View Full Version : Ranking the offensive coordinators

TackleMeBen
01-11-2010, 03:45 PM
12. Bruce Arians / Steelers
Despite some questions about whether Arians would be retained, evaluators contend that the Steelers' offensive coordinator should not be at fault for having to modify his philosophy because of the way the defense repeatedly put the offense in a trailing position.
SCOUT'S TAKE: "His running back (Willie Parker) was hurt all year. He's got (Rashard) Mendenhall, who is not real sure what to do and definitely does not know what to do against the blitz. The line is built to get leads, and then they can dictate the plan on offense, mixing up the power run and play-action. The offense basically struggled because the defense gave up so many quick points, and they were always in a hole, trying to catch up. Steelers football is winning ugly, 21-17. They are not built to have a 4,000-yard passer. They run the ball, play good defense and score enough points to win."

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/01/11/ranking-the-offensive-coordinators

Youngstown Steeler
01-11-2010, 03:49 PM
I thought Mendy did well picking up the blitz. I guess these sports writers aren't as smart as they think they are.

Sharkissle29
01-11-2010, 04:08 PM
I thought Mendy did well picking up the blitz. I guess these sports writers aren't as smart as they think they are.

Yea i thought that comment was pretty far off as well

Sharkissle29
01-11-2010, 04:09 PM
I actually disagree with basically everything that guy wrote now that i've reread it...

Prok
01-11-2010, 04:32 PM

IMO Mendy is our best blitz pick up back on the team. I lost interest in the article after reading that part... :wink02:

vrabinec
01-11-2010, 04:38 PM
Who the hell wrote this? I don't think I've ever seen a bigger pile of bull. And ranking him ahead of Whiz? Uh, yeah, sure.

fansince'76
01-11-2010, 04:43 PM
Who the hell wrote this? I don't think I've ever seen a bigger pile of bull. And ranking him ahead of Whiz? Uh, yeah, sure.

Our rankings are based on extensive feedback from league sources and talent evaluators and a special formula devised by PFW that takes into account numerous variables, including the effect of injuries on each team.

:noidea:

steelcity1974
01-11-2010, 04:56 PM
[B]12. Bruce Arians / Steelers
The offense basically struggled because the defense gave up so many quick points, and they were always in a hole, trying to catch up.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/01/11/ranking-the-offensive-coordinators

:rofl: Until the Cleveland game we hadn't trailed by more than 7 points the entire season. And we blew signifiant leads in several losses. I think this guy missed every Steelers game this year.

steelreserve
01-11-2010, 04:58 PM
12. Bruce Arians / Steelers
Despite some questions about whether Arians would be retained, evaluators contend that the Steelers' offensive coordinator should not be at fault for having to modify his philosophy because of the way the defense repeatedly put the offense in a trailing position.
SCOUT'S TAKE: "His running back (Willie Parker) was hurt all year. He's got (Rashard) Mendenhall, who is not real sure what to do and definitely does not know what to do against the blitz. The line is built to get leads, and then they can dictate the plan on offense, mixing up the power run and play-action. The offense basically struggled because the defense gave up so many quick points, and they were always in a hole, trying to catch up. Steelers football is winning ugly, 21-17. They are not built to have a 4,000-yard passer. They run the ball, play good defense and score enough points to win."

That, right there, tells me that whoever wrote this did not pay attention to our season. We either started out fine and blew it at the end, or else the defense pinned them down the whole game and the offense played horrendously anyway. We definitely did not always "get into a hole, trying to catch up" unless you mean the last 5 minutes of the game.

Bears - Led 14-7 going into 4th quarter
Bengals I - Led entire game except last 14 seconds
Bengals II - Tied 12-12 in 4th quarter (lots of "quick points," huh)
Chiefs - Led 17-7 at half, 24-17 in 4th quarter
Ravens - Did not have our starting QB
Raiders - Led 10-6, 17-13, 24-20 in 4th quarter
Browns - Just sucked the whole game but still only gave up 13 points

Yeah, basically, this guy has his head up his ass.

supa_fly_steeler
01-11-2010, 06:48 PM

true remember that blitz he picked up against the charger and pummeled him lawl.

Atranox
01-11-2010, 06:51 PM
Did this guy intentionally write the exact opposite of the truth, or what?

St33lersguy
01-11-2010, 06:58 PM
This guy is a total pinhead Arians at 12th?!?!?! This guy has obviously not watched a single steelers game. Mendy can pick up the blitz, the offense has never been in any big holes, and Arians is the worst OC and it was a bad decision to keep him