PDA

View Full Version : Looking back on the season

Prok
01-11-2010, 10:41 PM
Have we EVER had a season that EVERY single game was competitive, for better or worse, all the way til' the end of every single game such as this season ??

I can't seem to remember a season where every single game was this competitive. I mean sure we had big leads against SD and Denver, but did ya truly feel safe with the lead until time was too short ??

Say what you will about coach T but IMO this is the most consistant Steelers team i've ever seen. We did not get blown out one freakin time on the year IIRC ??

steeltheone
01-11-2010, 11:54 PM
May i remind you we lost to the Raiders...Browns and Chiefs

lionslicer
01-12-2010, 12:22 AM

MasterOfPuppets
01-12-2010, 01:43 AM
Have we EVER had a season that EVERY single game was competitive, for better or worse, all the way til' the end of every single game such as this season ??

I can't seem to remember a season where every single game was this competitive. I mean sure we had big leads against SD and Denver, but did ya truly feel safe with the lead until time was too short ??

Say what you will about coach T but IMO this is the most consistant Steelers team i've ever seen. We did not get blown out one freakin time on the year IIRC ??

and they also didn't blow out anybody either... hey if this team was coming of a 6-10 season , then one might say it wasn't a bad year... but to be reining sb champs and lose games to the perrenial bottom feeders of the league...disgusting....:popcorn:

lionslicer
01-12-2010, 02:15 AM
and they also didn't blow out anybody either... hey if this team was coming of a 6-10 season , then one might say it wasn't a bad year... but to be reining sb champs and lose games to the perrenial bottom feeders of the league...disgusting....:popcorn:

We might as well be comming off a 6-10 season. Last season was won by our defense alone. The offense was terrible and didn't score points until the 4th quarter. We had more comback victories than Tiger Woods has mistresses.. not really, we only had 6 including the superbowl. But there are 5 games we could have lost, making our record 7-9.
This year was opposite, our offense was scoring points, but our defense was losing the games. thus 9-7 record. :]

zulater
01-12-2010, 06:02 AM

1976? The Steelers had 9 double digit wins that season, 10 if you include the playoffs.

lionslicer
01-12-2010, 06:11 AM
1976? The Steelers had 9 double digit wins that season, 10 if you include the playoffs.

:P I know, he didn't know that, now you ruined it... lol

plenewken
01-12-2010, 06:11 AM
...........but IMO this is the most consistant Steelers team i've ever seen..............

Yep. Consistently ineffective in offense, consistently beaten in the backfield and consistently burned in KO returns.
How many games have we scored 7pts or less in the 1st quarter? No less than 11 out of 16. That's what I call being friggin' unable to put pressure on the opponent. And by the way, look at the opponents. Our schedule was much easier than last year.
Very disappointing season for the reigning Superbowl champs.

HometownGal
01-12-2010, 06:16 AM
This year was opposite, our offense was scoring points, but our defense was losing the games. thus 9-7 record. :]

:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit:

Nice to see that someone else gets it around here. :thumbsup:

zulater
01-12-2010, 10:56 AM
:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit:

Nice to see that someone else gets it around here. :thumbsup:

I get it too. They were 9-7 because that's what the combined efforts of the offense, defense, special teams, and coaching staff earned and deserved. They all played their part in the 9 wins, and they all had their parts in the 7 losses. There's not one game where i can divorce any single aspect or unit of the team from the final result.

HometownGal
01-12-2010, 10:59 AM
There's not one game where i can divorce any single aspect or unit of the team from the final result.

Sorry, Zu, but I just gotta . . . .

http://www.labretriever.net/wp-content/uploads/guide_dog_basics_big.jpg

steelreserve
01-12-2010, 11:13 AM

Yeah -- last season.

Except then, we actually won the games.

I liked that a lot better.

zulater
01-12-2010, 11:13 AM
Sorry, Zu, but I just gotta . . . .

http://www.labretriever.net/wp-content/uploads/guide_dog_basics_big.jpg

Give me a game, any game and I'll tell how any unti you want to name contributed in either a positive or negative way for that game. Obviously there's some games where one unit's overall contribution or errors stand out more than the others in regards to the final result. But in a game that's comprised of roughly 140 plays all untis play their part and share in the end result.

And ironically enough i thought every unit contrubuted equally to the end result when it was all said and done.

I.E.

Yeah i know the special teams suck, but look at all the field goals Jeff Reed made in the final 3 games. Look at the field position Logan often provided. look at the blocked field goal, uh nevermind that's a play I want to forget. :doh::wink02:

But seriously I found every unit to be lacking in ways, but i also see where every unit has some positive.

One really good off season and this team can be right back in the hunt.

Prok
01-12-2010, 05:35 PM
Notice I said for better OR WORSE in my original post. Sheesh, tough crowd. :flap::flap:

Anywho, i think it bares noting that we have NOT been blown out one single time in quite a while. While we all bitch about Arians or LeBeau etc.. IMO that is one thing we can hang our hat on.

NJarhead
01-12-2010, 05:46 PM
We were about as consistent a team as I can remember; No loss was by more than 7 points.

lionslicer
01-12-2010, 06:46 PM
We were about as consistent a team as I can remember; No loss was by more than 7 points.

In most of those losses we were winning by 10+ points.

NJarhead
01-12-2010, 06:54 PM
In most of those losses we were winning by 10+ points.

The positive I take from it is that the offense learned to bail out our defense near the end. Hopefully that carries over and our defense steps it up next year. Those two things happening makes for a pretty powerful team IMO.

lionslicer
01-12-2010, 07:15 PM
The positive I take from it is that the offense learned to bail out our defense near the end. Hopefully that carries over and our defense steps it up next year. Those two things happening makes for a pretty powerful team IMO.

Thats the formula for success. If our offense stays strong and our defense learns from its mistakes and gets back to that 2008 defense, we'll be unstoppable.

Cinnjerm
01-13-2010, 08:06 PM
For me, I still think it'd be crazy to not place most of the blame primarily on the D. All of those fourth quarter leads that were pissed away, though to credit, in the former half of the season the special teams was habitually spotting our opponents TDs. In the end, I figure if we fix our punt/kick coverage and devise a successful redzone offensive plan, I don't think it'll really matter what the defense does because if there's anything we should've learned from this year it's that the offense is capable of gaining massive yards (they just need to find the endzone more consistently).