PDA

View Full Version : O VS D

Hawk Believer
01-31-2006, 06:32 PM
Overheard this morning:

Victory in the battle between the Hawks offense and the Steelers defense will be influenced mostly by the respective coaches' game plan and adjustments. Conversely, the players will be the stronger determinant regarding Steelers O vs Hawks D.

Discuss.

Avoid Lloyd
01-31-2006, 06:39 PM
I would agree with that.

On paper the Colts O should have steam rolled us, but our scheme just flat out beat their scheme.

I'll take **** Lebeau any day of the week in this matchup. That guy has forgotten more football knowledge than I'll ever know.

Hawk Believer
01-31-2006, 07:19 PM
The Holmgren VS Lebeau angle is another reason why I think this should be a great game. Screw Bayless.

Livinginthe past
02-01-2006, 01:36 AM
This game is full of mouth watering match-ups from the coaching through to the playing staff.

Defensively I think the Seahawks may have to take the first couple of series just to sit back and see what the Steelers are going to come out with - id be surprised if they kept the standard package or even dropped a nickel-back in - just to see if the Steelers can be forced to run early.

As a critic of Cowher and his gameplanning in the past I have to admit it is a strange sensation to not actually know what he plans to do on offense - alot of this directly attributable to Ben R behind centre.

At different stages this season the Steelers D has been passed on with ease and also run on at times - it has to be said that none of these weaknesses have shown up on the radar during this playoff run.

On offense I believe that they should take a more home-run philosophy against the Steeler D - this D will bend and bend until eventually one of their playmakers steps up and...well....makes a play.

I'd love to see Ben throw maybe with a 10 point deficit to see how far he has come on this season - im already putting him with the 'Elite' group of the QB's currently playing.......

NM

Rotorhead
02-01-2006, 06:40 AM
Lebeau has game planned almost perfectly for each of the playoff games this year and the 4 game prior to the post season. We all know they are going to try and stop the run and force Hasselback to beat them throwing it. It is time to see if Hasselback has truly mastered the west coast offense, like the media keeps saying, or not. If he has, there will be alot of long Seattle drives and it will just be a matter of us forcing FG's instead of TD's. If we can rush his throws and rattle him, as we have several other elite QB's, then we will have a similar game as our last 2 games. Of course turnovers, if there are any, will be huge in this game, as will special teams and field position.

83-Steelers-43
02-01-2006, 07:50 AM
As a critic of Cowher and his gameplanning in the past I have to admit it is a strange sensation to not actually know what he plans to do on offense - alot of this directly attributable to Ben R behind centre.

My feelings and thoughts exactly. He's got a QB that he can afford to let loose (unlike last season and seasons before). Run, run, pass is out the window. New offense, new weapons, new team.

tony hipchest
02-01-2006, 09:44 AM
On offense I believe that they should take a more home-run philosophy against the Steeler D - this D will bend and bend until eventually one of their playmakers steps up and...well....makes a play.

NM

i think the best bet for holmgren is to spread out the defense and keep them in their nickle package. like i was hearing on the radio every team practices against the nickle. using a bunch of 3 or 4 wr sets with quick dropback much like the patriots have used in the past. use alexander primarily as a blocker. one thing i will be watching is how the height advantage of jerevicius and stephens is used. if they can get the steelers d playing to cautious and not as aggressive this could open up quite a few 1 on 1 big play, chuck it up and let the tall guys make a play on the ball, home run, options. this in turn could lead to alexander having a big day.

alot of things have to fall into place for this to happen but i dont think the gameplan is gonna be to pound alexander into the steelers front 7 all day.

Seahawks Saint
02-01-2006, 10:02 AM
Good thread guys! Some real knowledge of the game here! I agree that utilizing Stevens and Jurevicious because of height could present some mismatches, and open things up for Alexander. Something to note as well, is the ability of Darrell Jackson to draw things deep, and Bobby Engram's ability to get open for the possession route...additionally, 'Hawks have another deep threat w/ some pretty good wheels in DJ Hackett...he's pretty unheralded, but really burnt some teams deep this yearwhen Jackson was hurt. Also, Hasselbeck has the ability to hit the check-off guy pretty quickly should he read a blitz. The Press is talking about how many times Hasselbeck wasn't sacked this year due to the stellar Seahawk O line...it also has alot to do w/ his better defensive reads, and audibles. I've gotta say, this is going to be a GREAT game! I'm impressed w/ how both teams are comporting themselves w/ dignity and class. It's driving the Press apes*t for lack of bulletin board controversy... your forum has been as classy as your team.

Steve_Courson's_Liver
02-01-2006, 10:11 AM
Everyone has all these reasons why the Seahawks will win, this match up... that match up... blah blah blah. It is going to come down to this. Pittsburgh will move the ball on Seattle. Seattle has a soft D and scoring 30-40 points will not be an issue. On the other side of the ball, Steelers create mad pressure and through the course of a game that will create 2-3 turnovers and 4-6 sacks. Sean Alexander won't crack 60 yards. Sorry... no matter how I look at this game, I don't think Seattle can win.... barring freak trunovers and gift calls from refs.

I think they will be overwhelmed and befuddled and the implosion will begin in the second quarter.

Steelers 37
Seahawks 13

thumb 2 come
02-01-2006, 10:28 AM
I personally think this is the most balanced I have seen our O and our D is platying out of their mind right now.
So it should be a great game if seattle has I sat to them bring it.
Let helmets and pads prove it. Not stats and words.

syde18T
02-01-2006, 10:41 AM
It all comes down to whether Hasselbeck can figure out Pittsburgh's complicated 3-4 defense, and whether Polamalu and company can penetrate that offensive line to get to either shutting down Alexander or containing Hasselbeck. That is the bread and butter of this matchup.

On the other side, Big Ben needs to be at the top of his game to read the Seattle secondary. I don't think Pittsburgh will have any more success in the run than they did throughout the playoffs. Seattle's defensive line reminds me a lot of Indy's line. Often outsized, but having the advantage in quickness and speed. Now to see how well Pittsburgh uses Fast Willie to try and outmatch the quick front four of Seattle will be interesting to see. Whether or not Cowher will challenge that front four by running it up the gut, or if he is going to try and outgain them by taking the corners. I'm really excited about this matchup....