PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Clark!

supa_fly_steeler
01-12-2010, 02:11 AM
Alot of people thought Ryan had lost it this season? But he had his most productive year in the 2009 season.

89 Tackles 8 pass deflections and 3 interceptions, it could be argued that his 2005 season or 2008 season was his best, but this was his most productive season.

Why throw him away when he could start again and eventually be a mentor say we can watch ray rice get jacked up by ryan mundy for years to come?

Opinions on Clark?

MasterOfPuppets
01-12-2010, 02:23 AM
he's mediocre in coverage and doesn't make many plays :noidea: how often do you see him batting down balls or making interceptions? making a tackle after the guy catches a ball in front of you doesn't make you a good db. ...qb's aren't afraid to throw the ball in clarks direction. i don't dislike clark, but i think they need to upgrade. i wouldn't mind seeing him stay as a backup.

lionslicer
01-12-2010, 02:37 AM
Ryan Clark would have way more interceptions if he didn't go for the big hit. I've seen him stop, and sight up a player to make a hit instead of going for the pick when he easier could have gotten it. I wouldn't even want him mentoring a younger player because they would turn into the Fail of a saftey that he is. If we brought him in the game during our 3 saftey packages on defense, and let him play in the box with the Line Backers, or put him on a tight end, he could work out.

Galax Steeler
01-12-2010, 03:34 AM
I would love to see Clark sign for another three years. Especially if we can get Earl Thomas out of Texas this year he would be a great Mentor for this young man. I would say that Clarks play this year would have been better if Troy would have played. He couldn't play the kind of ball he could have without having to watch what Carter was doing.

supa_fly_steeler
01-12-2010, 05:17 AM
I would love to see Clark sign for another three years. Especially if we can get Earl Thomas out of Texas this year he would be a great Mentor for this young man. I would say that Clarks play this year would have been better if Troy would have played. He couldn't play the kind of ball he could have without having to watch what Carter was doing.

This, Ryan Clark is a system player especially with Troy. He kinda built up a denfensive duo like Manning and Harrison did.

steeltheone
01-12-2010, 07:16 AM
We have enough mentors on this team. We need young fast playmakers.

vrabinec
01-12-2010, 08:06 AM
Watch the highlights on NFL.com if you get a chance and check out how many times it's Clark playing deep center field when the opponent gets big plays. I love Clrak, and I love how he hits, but he is a liability when teams go deep on us. Time to move on. If we can get a guy like Thomas who's two steps faster at getting to the ball than Clark (though not quite the hitter), then the field shrinks for the corners because they can squeeze receivers against the sideline a little more, knowing he would be there to make the play if the receiver breaks open over the middle.

supa_fly_steeler
01-12-2010, 08:27 AM
Watch the highlights on NFL.com if you get a chance and check out how many times it's Clark playing deep center field when the opponent gets big plays. I love Clrak, and I love how he hits, but he is a liability when teams go deep on us. Time to move on. If we can get a guy like Thomas who's two steps faster at getting to the ball than Clark (though not quite the hitter), then the field shrinks for the corners because they can squeeze receivers against the sideline a little more, knowing he would be there to make the play if the receiver breaks open over the middle.

oh Yes let's draft Earl Thomas, start him straight away im thinking the second he's drafted PUT HIM out of position and then make him learn an excrutiatingly difficult playbook from LeBeau and expect the Messiah results.

p.s. Who's gonna be the backup with no mentor??????

Sounds Good :tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04::t t04::tt04:

vrabinec
01-12-2010, 08:33 AM
oh Yes let's draft Earl Thomas, start him straight away im thinking the second he's drafted PUT HIM out of position and then make him learn an excrutiatingly difficult playbook from LeBeau and expect the Messiah results.

p.s. Who's gonna be the backup with no mentor??????

Sounds Good :tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04::t t04::tt04:

You think Carter, Troy and LeBeau can't teach a rookie things that Clark can?

supa_fly_steeler
01-12-2010, 08:51 AM

No but the way your saying it is that if Thomas came in he would make big plays every snap of the ball his rookie years, Drafted by us or not he will give up a few big plays throughout his career.

Ryan Clark is a run stopping Saftey, something Free Safeties tend not to be but when has he ever not done his job on tackling, one of the sure safety tacklers in the league.

Only few "great" safeties are good at both coverage and run stopping in the nfl... Clark is not a freak like Polamalu who does both like Jesus.

Wow he's not the best at coverage, he sure pretty looked decent in 2008.

BritishSteel
01-12-2010, 10:39 AM
Clark is part of a functioning unit with Troy and both function better with the other present - If Clark is prepared to sign on again for a couple of years at a sensible wage (I think he will, he strikes me as that sort of guy) then I'd tie him up and look somewhere down the bottom end of the draft for a young FS with potential who can learn without the pressures of having to step in immediately and make plays. I suppose free agency might be an option, though who is out there that represents an upgrade on Clark (Bethea or Harper perhaps) and how much will they cost, given that we'll have other hard decisions to make on people like Big Snack, Reed, Colon, Hartwig etc this close season. I think if Clark is prepared to do a deal at sensible money, then he'll still be here because it helps us out at other positions.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-12-2010, 10:48 AM
I like Clark and think his somewhat sub par season without Troy will allow the Steelers to extend him at a reasonable cost. Then draft somebody like Morgan Burnett, Kurt Coleman or Nate Allen to learn behind him.

.24lockdown
01-12-2010, 11:30 AM

so did Ike and McFadden yet you've bashed them all season

SteelerFanInStl
01-12-2010, 12:29 PM
Clark missed way too many tackles this year. Seems like all he wants to do is get the big hit instead of wrapping up and making the tackle. He does play better with Troy back there. (don't they all)

I have no problem with re-signing him for a fair price but we also need to draft his eventual replacement.

vrabinec
01-12-2010, 12:58 PM
No but the way your saying it is that if Thomas came in he would make big plays every snap of the ball his rookie years, Drafted by us or not he will give up a few big plays throughout his career.

Ryan Clark is a run stopping Saftey, something Free Safeties tend not to be but when has he ever not done his job on tackling, one of the sure safety tacklers in the league.

Only few "great" safeties are good at both coverage and run stopping in the nfl... Clark is not a freak like Polamalu who does both like Jesus.

Okay, from what I can see, there are no corners or guards that warrant a pick at 18. McClain MAY be there at 18, but probably not, so there aren't any ILB's either. That means we're down to one of five choices:
a. We draft a FS (assuming Thomas is there)
b. We draft a NT (assuming Cody and his weight is someone the FO wants to take a shot at.)
c. We draft an OT and start either shuffling around our line, or just let Colon go.
d. Move up in the draft for Haden or McClain or Berry (depending on who's available at a reasonable price)
e. Move down and look for a value CB, S, ILB, G, C, NT later in the draft.

IMO, the best option, the one that makes the most sense right now, is to target Thomas, and let Clark go into free agency and try to re-sign Big Snack and adress the other areas of need through later picks and free agency. If you like Cody, the I can see re-signing Clark, letting Casey go. But, eventually, Thomas is gonna be better than Clark is now. How long that'll take isn't clear right now, but if we keep Clark and let Hampton go, then you'll have the same situation at NT. Cody will be good some day (assuming he's willing to hit the weights and push away from the buffet) but Hoke is gonna give up yards up the middle (particularly with an aging Farrior behnd him) until Cody is ready to step in. If the Steelers decide to pass on Cody, letting Clark go and drafting Thomas makes sense.

xbroughneck
01-12-2010, 01:36 PM

Uhm...if ANYONE needs to go it's Tyrone Carter. I mean seriously. Ryan is twice as good as Tyrone and Ryan ain't that good.

If the Steelers sign Ryan Clark for 3 years, yet also draft either Earl Thomas or Taylor Mays (my personal preference) this will be a good offseason for the Steelers. They'll add youth and speed, get rid of the dead weight (Carter), then hopefully bring in a free agent CB to fight Gay and Lewis for the #2 corner spot.

vrabinec
01-12-2010, 01:40 PM
Uhm...if ANYONE needs to go it's Tyrone Carter. I mean seriously. Ryan is twice as good as Tyrone and Ryan ain't that good.

If the Steelers sign Ryan Clark for 3 years, yet also draft either Earl Thomas or Taylor Mays (my personal preference) this will be a good offseason for the Steelers. They'll add youth and speed, get rid of the dead weight (Carter), then hopefully bring in a free agent CB to fight Gay and Lewis for the #2 corner spot.

While that would be my preference too, there's no way we tie up THAT much money at safety. Because, Clark's gonna want some cash.

supa_fly_steeler
01-12-2010, 02:42 PM
so did Ike and McFadden yet you've bashed them all season

yes but clark did something useful had had nearly 100 tackles, taylor stinked up te secondary and mcfadden well he just looked crap

Hotrodder07
01-12-2010, 02:49 PM
I think signing him is a necessity this year. With our lack of depth at the safety position, we need to do all we can to keep this guy in Pittsburgh! Plus, I love his hard-hitting attitude. He compliments Troy so well. Sign him!

zulater
01-12-2010, 02:52 PM
Clark missed way too many tackles this year. Seems like all he wants to do is get the big hit instead of wrapping up and making the tackle. He does play better with Troy back there. (don't they all)

I have no problem with re-signing him for a fair price but we also need to draft his eventual replacement.

:applaudit:

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-12-2010, 03:12 PM
Clark and Carter are both up this year for contracts. My bet is the Steelers are gonna keep 1 of them, because they cant go into a season with Troy and Mundy as the only returning players. My bet is Clark stays, Carter leaves and they sign a rookie with one of the top 3 picks to support.

Ty Carter is a liability on defense at this point of his career.

vrabinec
01-12-2010, 03:17 PM
Clark and Carter are both up this year for contracts. My bet is the Steelers are gonna keep 1 of them, because they cant go into a season with Troy and Mundy as the only returning players. My bet is Clark stays, Carter leaves and they sign a rookie with one of the top 3 picks to support.

Ty Carter is a liability on defense at this point of his career.

Again, that would be my preference, but IMO, we're gonna tie up a bunch of cash on Hampton, probably in giving him a new contract, and, if not, in franchising him. Then we're gonna sign Reed. Then we're gonna extend Woodley. Then we're gonna extend Holmes. I don't think there's gonna be a lot of money left over for the safety position, particularly when they'd probably love to get a good free agent either at corner or guard. I dunno. Hope you're right and they can make it all happen.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-12-2010, 03:30 PM
Again, that would be my preference, but IMO, we're gonna tie up a bunch of cash on Hampton, probably in giving him a new contract, and, if not, in franchising him. Then we're gonna sign Reed. Then we're gonna extend Woodley. Then we're gonna extend Holmes. I don't think there's gonna be a lot of money left over for the safety position, particularly when they'd probably love to get a good free agent either at corner or guard. I dunno. Hope you're right and they can make it all happen.

Yeah, could be...but I just see the following being let go: Carter, Parker, Spaeth, Townsend, Davis, Stapleton, Kirschke or Eason.

They try and sign Hampton. Work out a reasonable deal with Reed, or draft a kicker in the 4th-5th. Tender Colon a qualifiying offer if restricted by the CBA. Sign Gay to a 4 year deal. Clark may want $5mil a season and if that is the case he will be gone....but something tells me he might stick around for less.

I think the market will see that he benefits from Troy more than he creates his own value, so another free agent could fill his shoes. Heck, Darren Sharper is playing for $1.7mil this season.