PDA

View Full Version : Polamalu's Hair

Hawk Believer
01-31-2006, 08:07 PM
Some thoughts/questions regarding Polamalu's hair:

Is it legal in the NFL to tackle someone by pulling on his hair? I can't think of any offensive players with the long locks, so I think it must be kosher. If so, has anyone tried to pull Troy down that way after an interception?

I heard the NFL was not happy about the long hair trend but they are afraid to crack down because most of the people doing it are Samoan or black and they don't want to appear to be racist.

tony hipchest
01-31-2006, 08:12 PM

Is it legal in the NFL to tackle someone by pulling on his hair? I can't think of any offensive players with the long locks, so I think it must be kosher. If so, has anyone tried to pull Troy down that way after an interception?

I heard the NFL was not happy about the long hair trend but they are afraid to crack down because most of the people doing it are Samoan or black and they don't want to appear to be racist.
you can tackle someone by their hair, but only if you can catch them. i think the league tried to say something about it covering the names on the jerseys but that got shot down real quick. if the samoans wear it as part of their heritage i think the league is in for an uphill battle.

Hawk Believer
01-31-2006, 08:15 PM
It seems like tackling someone by the hair could be as dangerous to the cervical spine as a facemask. But its not fair to the tackler if he grabs for a guy and comes up with hair. I guess its just a risk they are willing to take.

jaysta
01-31-2006, 08:19 PM
Personally I think the league should stay away from certain matters. Hair is a personal choice so if they like it, I say let em' wear it however they want. Besides, Polamalu's "Beware of the Hair" slogan is one of the coolest in the NFL and the way that guy hits...I wouldn't want to be the one to tell him to cut it.

PatriotsFan4Ever
01-31-2006, 08:25 PM
I think that to even ask Polamalu to cut his hair would be rediculous.When I think of that guy,I think About that HAIR! And The Hits he throws...I'd like to see him and Rodney Harrison go at it.Both are BADASS wild Hard hitting Safety's.But I do agree,With him,Its mostly about his Ethnic Background.So the NFL will be taking a major dispute into their hands if they are going to get on him or any other African American,Caucasion,Or whatever other Ethnic Group decides to have long hair.It'd be a waste of time for them.

Hawk Believer
01-31-2006, 08:30 PM
Totally hypothetical - Do you think he'd still have the hair if he played on the other side of the line?

Its seems like the liability of it would have to trump the cultural aspect. But he is Polamalu.

tony hipchest
01-31-2006, 08:32 PM
troy carries on the tradition of kevin green. its great. steelers seem to get to the sb with a longhair on the roster. im all for it!

boLT fan
01-31-2006, 08:39 PM
Wasn't there some big debate a while ago when Ricky Williams had dreds? I think, but don't quote me on this, that they said the same rules apply for long hair as they do for horse collar. You can't grab and pull backwards and make them stop suddenly.

Hawk Believer
01-31-2006, 08:45 PM
Wasn't there some big debate a while ago when Ricky Williams had dreds? I think, but don't quote me on this, that they said the same rules apply for long hair as they do for horse collar. You can't grab and pull backwards and make them stop suddenly.

I got curious enough to google it. This from Jerry Marbreit, former NFL referee's colum in the Chicago tribune.

Tackling a runner solely by grabbing his hair: legal tackle or penalty? --Joe, Birmingham, Ala.

Any player who has his hair sticking out of his helmet is fair game. A defender can grab that hair and fling the player to the ground with no danger of penalty, providing he does not grab the face mask or inside of the helmet in doing so.

steelguitar
01-31-2006, 08:46 PM
Maybe if your a girl you can use the hair.GoSteelers

The JoKeR
01-31-2006, 08:55 PM
You are right hawk believer, if a player chooses to let his hair fly loose, it is fair game. However, like somebody else pointed out....with the new horse collar tackle rule in place, a ref could throw the flag because it may LOOK like a horse collar from his stand point.

PDX Hawk fan
01-31-2006, 11:05 PM

The hair is part of the uniform legal to grab, but I'm guessing no one has pulled him down into the turf by it yet or he'd have cut it or wore it up. I'd love to see Seattle use this tactic against him- just to freak him out.

ONE FOR THE MIDDLE FINGER!!!

Hawk Believer
01-31-2006, 11:16 PM
[QUOTE=PDX Hawk fan]The hair is part of the uniform legal to grab, but I'm guessing no one has pulled him down into the turf by it yet or he'd have cut it or wore it up. I'd love to see Seattle use this tactic against him- just to freak him out.

Hopefully it won't be neccessary to tackle him.

PDX Hawk fan
01-31-2006, 11:30 PM
Hopefully it won't be neccessary to tackle him.

Great point. Do they really think we're so one dimensional that a safety is going to kill us?

Steeler fans are used to playing teams with predictable, set offenses. The Hawks don't have that, nor is Hasselbeck easily rattled by blitzes- in fact, he craves them.

I'm loving how ignorant the National Media is to how many offensive weapons the Hawks have. And I won't even let on to how great our defense is.

Other than Green Bay (a throwaway game) and Jacksonville (first game of the year, no rematch), the Hawks beat every team they played this year. This notion that the Hawks ran up/padded their stats simply by playing the NFC West amuses me.

They said Washington's defense was superior and we destroyed them. They said Carolina's defense was superior and we destroyed them. Now they're claiming the defense that had no shot at beating Palmer/Kitna, Payton "big game" Manning, and Mistake Plummer is a lock against us? I can't wait for this game. I've had it with the niceties. These TV "experts are complete idiots.

augustashark
01-31-2006, 11:30 PM
This is getting way out of hand.....We are talking about another mans hair......These two weeks have really taken their toll......For the love!

PDX Hawk fan
01-31-2006, 11:37 PM
This is getting way out of hand.....We are talking about another mans hair......These two weeks have really taken their toll......For the love!

It's less insane than talking about "expensive coffee". At least it has something to do with the game.

Rust-Buster
01-31-2006, 11:48 PM
You're right AugustaShark, next we'll taking about who gets their body waxed.

SuperSteelers
02-01-2006, 09:50 AM
Great point. Do they really think we're so one dimensional that a safety is going to kill us?

Steeler fans are used to playing teams with predictable, set offenses. The Hawks don't have that, nor is Hasselbeck easily rattled by blitzes- in fact, he craves them.

I'm loving how ignorant the National Media is to how many offensive weapons the Hawks have. And I won't even let on to how great our defense is.

Other than Green Bay (a throwaway game) and Jacksonville (first game of the year, no rematch), the Hawks beat every team they played this year. This notion that the Hawks ran up/padded their stats simply by playing the NFC West amuses me.

They said Washington's defense was superior and we destroyed them. They said Carolina's defense was superior and we destroyed them. Now they're claiming the defense that had no shot at beating Palmer/Kitna, Payton "big game" Manning, and Mistake Plummer is a lock against us? I can't wait for this game. I've had it with the niceties. These TV "experts are complete idiots.

PDX, Seattle lost to 2 NFC teams this year for a record of 14-2. That's very admirable, and you should be very proud of that accomplishment. The Steelers went 15-1 in 2004 in the AFC and lost *gasp* in the AFC championship game.

You are the team with the better record. You are getting well-deserved respect from the entire Steelers organization and the majority of the Steelers Nation ... but come Sunday, YOU WILL LOSE !!

Suitanim
02-01-2006, 10:06 AM
They said Washington's defense was superior and we destroyed them.

You were a dropped Santana Moss pass away from being tied at 17 with 4 minutes to go against a team that managed all of 122 yards of total offense against Tampa the week before.

That's not quite "destruction"...

thumb 2 come
02-01-2006, 10:26 AM
The hair is part of the uniform legal to grab, but I'm guessing no one has pulled him down into the turf by it yet or he'd have cut it or wore it up. I'd love to see Seattle use this tactic against him- just to freak him out.

Would you really want someone on the the hawk offense to Pi$$ troy off. I wouldn't if I was their QB.

ZornToLargent
02-01-2006, 10:41 AM
Personally, and this has nothing to do with the color of jersey....I HATE the long hair trend in the NFL. How stupid does it look with all that ****ing hair flying all over the place. It's just ****ing gross. If I were playing against a player with really long hair hanging out of his helmet, I would grab that person by there hair and pull them down to teach them a lesson. This is a ****ing PHYSICAL CONTACT sport....for safety reasons the NFL should ban long hair....especially Polamalu's hair as long as it is.

Samoan, black, who gives a shit? You are playing in the NFL, these are the rules. Grow some balls, NFL.

thumb 2 come
02-01-2006, 11:20 AM
Personally, and this has nothing to do with the color of jersey....I HATE the long hair trend in the NFL. How stupid does it look with all that ****ing hair flying all over the place. It's just ****ing gross. If I were playing against a player with really long hair hanging out of his helmet, I would grab that person by there hair and pull them down to teach them a lesson. This is a ****ing PHYSICAL CONTACT sport....for safety reasons the NFL should ban long hair....especially Polamalu's hair as long as it is.

Samoan, black, who gives a shit? You are playing in the NFL, these are the rules. Grow some balls, NFL.

Eye Daus Fuer your will be done
I thought you woodfolk were liberal tree huggy types