PDA

View Full Version : Dick LeBeau. Has the game passed him by?

zulater
01-12-2010, 12:07 PM
I know he lost his best defensive lineman,and his best overall player, the fulcrum of his defense for the majority of the season, but should that stand as an excuse?

Is Ike Taylor's drop off in play because LeBeau was deploying him wrong? Did James Harrison go sackless his last 7 games because he wasn't being utilized right? I mean many of the problems that we saw last season first cropped up in in the 4th quarter of SB XIII. Maybe it's time for Dick" to get on with his life's work?"

My answers later. :popcorn:

Dino 6 Rings
01-12-2010, 12:14 PM
I'm pretty sure I saw a lot of plays by the defense where the guys were in position to make plays and just missed out on making the plays. Not because of scheme, as much as due to under performance but men who are supposed to be Elite at the positions they play.

Dropped Ints, Missed Tackles, Missed sacks, calling the wrong play in the huddle and having two guys blitz instead of one and leaving a rookie exposed.

I'm not sure the 3-4 blitzing defense is what was wrong with the defense this year, although, I do fault Dick for attempting to deploy the same style defense when he first lost Troy, but using Carter in his place, which was clearly a mistake. Carter doesn't have 1/10th the talent that Troy P has. But he corrected that I thought during the 5 game losing streak, and it wasn't like anyone blew us out this year.

Yes, the inside slant pass will kill a 3-4 Blitz with the Safeties covering over the top of Both Wide Outs (that's the super bowl play Fitz caught for a TD)

yes, its a risk reward type attacking style defense that sometimes gets you a sack fumble return for TD or gives up a 60 yards slant pass for a TD.

But it stops the Run
It sacks QB
And it is Supposed to create Turnovers, our guys just can't catch the ball when it hits them right in the face.

zulater
01-12-2010, 12:16 PM
I'm pretty sure I saw a lot of plays by the defense where the guys were in position to make plays and just missed out on making the plays. Not because of scheme, as much as due to under performance but men who are supposed to be Elite at the positions they play.

Dropped Ints, Missed Tackles, Missed sacks, calling the wrong play in the huddle and having two guys blitz instead of one and leaving a rookie exposed.

I'm not sure the 3-4 blitzing defense is what was wrong with the defense this year, although, I do fault Dick for attempting to deploy the same style defense when he first lost Troy, but using Carter in his place, which was clearly a mistake. Carter doesn't have 1/10th the talent that Troy P has. But he corrected that I thought during the 5 game losing streak, and it wasn't like anyone blew us out this year.

Yes, the inside slant pass will kill a 3-4 Blitz with the Safeties covering over the top of Both Wide Outs (that's the super bowl play Fitz caught for a TD)

yes, its a risk reward type attacking style defense that sometimes gets you a sack fumble return for TD or gives up a 60 yards slant pass for a TD.

But it stops the Run
It sacks QB
And it is Supposed to create Turnovers, our guys just can't catch the ball when it hits them right in the face.

Good answers dino. :thumbsup:

Steelers>NFL
01-12-2010, 12:21 PM
The game did not pass him by. But I do wished he had apply more pressuer and blitz in the 4th when needed.
He seems to have abcked off a little in 4th and seems to be hesitant. I say push the pedal to the floor
for 4 full qtrs. Not just part of the game. No 60 minute men here.

SCSTILLER
01-12-2010, 12:22 PM
Great post Dino. Now here is my take on it, when we started running the 3-4 D I beleive we were one of the first ones to start using it. Now it seems like alot of teams are running it, so it is becoming easier to scout and game plan against when your own defense runs the 3-4. When you see it all the time in practice you can find the weak spots and find plays that will defeat the defense. Plus, Troy and Aaron being out killed us, and the secondary, well......

vrabinec
01-12-2010, 12:22 PM
There's no doubt in my mind the Steelers will have a top 5 defense next year.

SCSTILLER
01-12-2010, 12:23 PM
The game did not pass him by. But I do wished he had apply more pressuer and blitz in the 4th when needed.
He seems to have abcked off a little in 4th and seems to be hesitant. I say push the pedal to the floor
for 4 full qtrs. Not just part of the game. No 60 minute men here.

Gotta remember also, our Defense didn't get much of a rest break. The offense wasn't sustaining drives that well this year, and therefore our D was on the field a ton. Not good when you are an aging unit.

tony hipchest
01-12-2010, 12:23 PM
no. infact, we have more teams than ever trying to emmulate the steelers defense. the game has yet to even catch up with him, let alone pass him by.

steelreserve
01-12-2010, 12:27 PM
On third down, our defense seems to either get a sack (or near sack), or else give up a 15-yard catch and run. This year we were backing off and trying to play straight-up too many times, especially late in the game, and it hurt us.

Also, one better timed play here or there (e.g. Burnett not dropping the ball against the Raiders) and we still make the playoffs and aren't having this discussion.

X-Terminator
01-12-2010, 12:40 PM
There's no doubt in my mind the Steelers will have a top 5 defense next year.

They had a top 5 defense this year. The problem was that they often faltered with the game on the line.

Anyway, I don't believe the game has passed him by. His scheme, while it does have obvious flaws, is solid and a proven winner. I DO think, however, he was way too passive in the 2nd half of games and especially in the 4th quarter. He should be aggressive from start to finish in every game - no soft zone or prevent defense. All that does is get your secondary shredded. I'd rather get beat while being aggressive rather than sitting back and letting the opposing O pick them apart.

zulater
01-12-2010, 12:47 PM
They had a top 5 defense this year. The problem was that they often faltered with the game on the line.

Anyway, I don't believe the game has passed him by. His scheme, while it does have obvious flaws, is solid and a proven winner. I DO think, however, he was way too passive in the 2nd half of games and especially in the 4th quarter. He should be aggressive from start to finish in every game - no soft zone or prevent defense. All that does is get your secondary shredded. I'd rather get beat while being aggressive rather than sitting back and letting the opposing O pick them apart.

Tomlin said it best in his season ending press conference. This team needs to improve in it's situational play on both sides of the ball.

Rick5895
01-12-2010, 12:54 PM
Gotta remember also, our Defense didn't get much of a rest break. The offense wasn't sustaining drives that well this year, and therefore our D was on the field a ton. Not good when you are an aging unit.

Our offense was 3rd in T.O.P. averaging over 32 minutes a game.
The game certainly HAS NOT passed Coach Lebeau by. I thought they played too passively late in games, I don't why, perhaps it's Coach didn't have the greatest confidence in the players on the field without Troy and Aaron. I think we had a situation we used to blame Cowher for, that being playing not to lose rather than playing to win.

SteelCityMom
01-12-2010, 01:23 PM

Agreed...and it's a shame because it was practically the polar opposite last year. The D would give up big plays more in the 1st half and then make very good half time adjustments and just crush the opposing O in the 3rd and 4th. Not sure why the scheme changed this year, but somehow they'd start out great and then falter completely at the end.

zulater
01-12-2010, 02:43 PM
Agreed...and it's a shame because it was practically the polar opposite last year. The D would give up big plays more in the 1st half and then make very good half time adjustments and just crush the opposing O in the 3rd and 4th. Not sure why the scheme changed this year, but somehow they'd start out great and then falter completely at the end.

Lack of talent, particuarly in the secondary would be my guess. Late in games when a team trails they go heavy on the pass, and also use all four downs quite often. Or in other words an additional down for our secondary to screw up. :doh:

Bubbabanjo
01-12-2010, 04:43 PM
Stoopid..............he has a crap secondary that gets lit up like a pack of Lucky Strikes. He lost key players in Smith and Polamalu. What tard wrote this? Pass rush was gone till Woodley woke up too. The old man cant play the game for the boys. Just a bad luck year and we wrung the last out of the mediocre secondary. The car broke down.....we need new parts not a new driver.

lionslicer
01-12-2010, 04:51 PM
He should take some of the blame for the defense giving up passing yards. Since 2004 his defense has given up a lot of passing yards when the Steelers are leading. There is the whole "bad DB's not making plays" But he has the last say in the draft when we draft defensive players. He talks to his staff, evaluates players himself and give an opinion to the head coach. And the guys he's drafted are guys that steeler fans seem to deem the worst cornerbacks ever.

Aussie_steeler
01-12-2010, 05:19 PM
NFL teams are great at identifying a weakness and exploiting it.

When Troy went down his replacement automatically was identified as a weakness.

In turn the absence of Troy exposed a few more players in the smallest of ways ( Gay, Clark, Taylor, Burnett, Townsend.................yes there is a trickle effect down through all players who have to step up one spot)

Now you have more than one weakness in the secondary and multiple points of weakness to exploit.

Has the game passed LeBeau by ............hell no.
Was his scheme abused at times due to personnel issues......Full strength no, understrength yes.

supa_fly_steeler
01-12-2010, 05:28 PM
the secondary were raping the titans at full strength, at denver the secondary raped orton and raped the overrated palmer. troy polamalu covers half the field lol

lionslicer
01-12-2010, 05:37 PM
NFL teams are great at identifying a weakness and exploiting it.

When Troy went down his replacement automatically was identified as a weakness.

In turn the absence of Troy exposed a few more players in the smallest of ways ( Gay, Clark, Taylor, Burnett, Townsend.................yes there is a trickle effect down through all players who have to step up one spot)

Now you have more than one weakness in the secondary and multiple points of weakness to exploit.

Has the game passed LeBeau by ............hell no.
Was his scheme abused at times due to personnel issues......Full strength no, understrength yes.

If his schemes were so great, they would have held up without Troy. Thats the sign of a great coach. Winning without your best players.
His blitz and run defense schemes are great, no doubt, but when teams pass on the Steelers, you have to admit, even with Troy, teams tear us apart. Since 2004, when LeBeau returned to the Steelers, we've only been in the top pass defenses once, and that was last year, and that was really only due to our pass rush.

Prok
01-12-2010, 05:42 PM
A few issues I had with our scheme.

1: It seemed when the opponent used play-action EVERY defender bit on the play fake. CB's even got caught with their eyes in the backfield.

2: Soft zone coverage aplenty. The way we played it this year it was like slow and painful death alot.

3: Poor coverage and ball awareness skills by most of the DB's. How many soft lob passes did we give up? Seemed like many to me. Then piss poor ball location once it was thrown.

Give me a D that is not scared of jamming WR's at the line and singling up on blitzes every day over soft zone.

devilsdancefloor
01-12-2010, 05:50 PM
No it hasnt passed him by at all. what the big difference from years passed is we couldnt tackle. this had to be the worst tackling defense i have ever seen by the steelers.

TheWarDen86
01-12-2010, 05:54 PM
no. infact, we have more teams than ever trying to emmulate the steelers defense. the game has yet to even catch up with him, let alone pass him by.

Sooooo..., would you say that execution on defense was a problem and not necessarily the fault of the coordinator? :chuckle:

:stirthepot:

WH
01-12-2010, 06:18 PM
It made it to page 2 before someone came and ''acted a fool''. I'm very surprised.

Fire Haley
01-12-2010, 07:37 PM
dick didn't have much to work with when Troy went down

blame management for thinking a 33 y/o Lord Tyrone could play for more than 3 games before his legs gave out

Steeldude
01-13-2010, 12:18 AM
i wrote about this a few months ago. perhaps lebeau has become complacent. it happens to everyone sooner or later. you lose a little of your instincts and intuition. i am not saying lebeau sucks or should retire, but there comes a time when it's over. noll retired too.

but in lebeau's defense he is working with a defense that is getting old and does not have much talent.

steel9guy
01-13-2010, 12:20 AM
funny thread. Dick Lebeau is one of the greatest and will continue to be. He always bounces back.

solardave
01-13-2010, 03:17 AM
Great post Dino. Now here is my take on it, when we started running the 3-4 D I beleive we were one of the first ones to start using it. Now it seems like alot of teams are running it, so it is becoming easier to scout and game plan against when your own defense runs the 3-4. When you see it all the time in practice you can find the weak spots and find plays that will defeat the defense. Plus, Troy and Aaron being out killed us, and the secondary, well......

We are just 2 corners away from being a Superbowl contender if we fix our STs woes.:wink02:

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-13-2010, 03:27 AM

Exactly.

Jmat
01-13-2010, 12:14 PM
Dick LeBeau is God.
Bruce Arians is Satan.

No matter how poor the defense plays it could never possibly be Dick LeBeau's fault.
However if the offense plays as poorly as the defense did it is solely the fault of Bruce Arians.

Prok
01-13-2010, 12:17 PM
Dick LeBeau is God.
Bruce Arians is Satan.

No matter how poor the defense plays it could never possibly be Dick LeBeau's fault.
However if the offense plays as poorly as the defense did it is solely the fault of Bruce Arians.

Steelers fans. We be a fickle bunch. :hatsoff:

JEFF4i
01-13-2010, 12:21 PM
This thread makes me lol.

Passed LeBeau by after 1 season? Give it at least 2, at least, please.
Arians is Satan? Yeah, I get frustrated too, but he still coordinated a more prolific offense this year compared to last year.

*sigh*

steelpride12
01-13-2010, 01:39 PM
One season with a rough year from the defense and Lebeau has hit rock bottom?

7SteelGal43
01-13-2010, 01:42 PM
Dick Lebeau is the man. Always has been, always will be. He ain't lost a thing.

WH
01-13-2010, 01:46 PM
Dick had a good amount of games this year to adjust his gameplans to compensate for the lack of talent, but we never saw any.

steelerdude15
01-13-2010, 01:59 PM
Dick LeBeau is the greatest Defensive coordinator of all time, no doubt. His blitzes and schemes are excellent. When Polamalu was injured, LeBeau admitted to calling more "conservative plays" without Polamalu playing. The thing about James Harrison... he's probably the biggest threat at OLB in the game today so of course he's going to be covered like no tomorrow. Has anyone ever noticed how much he is held by opposing players? Another thing that hurt is that the Steelers lost Aaron Smith the year, that's alot of power and leadership gone. Hood did a pretty good job this year IMO. Hopefully next year will be better though.

lionslicer
01-13-2010, 03:40 PM
Dick Lebeau is the man. Always has been, always will be. He ain't lost a %$*@ thing.

He hasn't always been the best... with the Bengals in the 80's, when they were actually a better team, only once from 1984 to 1991 when he was D-Cooridator did his defense rank in the top 10. Most years it was in the bottom 20. And from 1997-2000 he had one of the worst defenses in the legue. He created the zone blitz with the Steelers in 1995, and wasn't really a factor as a defensive coordinator again until 2004 when he came to the steelers and got the personal and coaching staff we had.

In 2004 we only had the best defense because our offense had the best run game and best time of possesion per game keeping the defense off the field.

2005 we had a medicore defense, 16th in the pass, but 1 or 2 against the run.

2006 we had one of the worst pass defenses in the league.

2007-2008 we had top pass defenses, mainly due to the steelers being top 3 in the league for sacks. 2007 Troy missed 5 games and didn't have any interceptions.

2009 - 16th overrall in pass defense again.

Dick Lebeau is a great coordinator, his defenses cause offenses headaches, they never know whats comming. But most passing teams are able to tear the defense apart. And any coach would tell you zone defenses have holes in them, and good, even medicore offenses can find them. The point in having zone is because you are gonna have a good pass rush, which we usually do, and thus quarterback is rushed and throws the ball in a zone and its batted down/intercepted or just way off its mark. :P Sorry to get technical....

meelanova
01-13-2010, 04:27 PM
Dick Lebeau is a great coordinator, his defenses cause offenses headaches, they never know whats comming. But most passing teams are able to tear the defense apart. And any coach would tell you zone defenses have holes in them, and good, even medicore offenses can find them. The point in having zone is because you are gonna have a good pass rush, which we usually do, and thus quarterback is rushed and throws the ball in a zone and its batted down/intercepted or just way off its mark. :P Sorry to get technical....

Im just curious. Is there any way to become more of a complete defense, if there is such a thing? You know as opposed to having a strong front 7 and ok DB's.

Prok
01-13-2010, 04:50 PM
Man, I just can't understand the undying support for LeBeau.

About the only thing I like about our scheme is we're good vs the run.

We have horrible coverage skills, wayyyyyyyyy too many poor tacklers and are slow as hell at half time adjustments. Some of that HAS to fall on coaching, no ??

People want to cite losing Troy P and Aaron S as LeBeau deserving a pass... Heh... Wouldn't ANY DC in the league suffer without 2 GREAT players ??

I just don't get the love fest with him or that zone blitz stuff. :noidea:

JEFF4i
01-13-2010, 07:13 PM
Man, I just can't understand the undying support for LeBeau.

About the only thing I like about our scheme is we're good vs the run.

We have horrible coverage skills, wayyyyyyyyy too many poor tacklers and are slow as hell at half time adjustments. Some of that HAS to fall on coaching, no ??

People want to cite losing Troy P and Aaron S as LeBeau deserving a pass... Heh... Wouldn't ANY DC in the league suffer without 2 GREAT players ??

I just don't get the love fest with him or that zone blitz stuff. :noidea:

The fact that last year we had only 2 plays all season go over 40 yards?

The fact that you yourself said we've had some poor tackling, that must be LeBeau's fault...somehow.

Prok
01-13-2010, 07:30 PM
The fact that last year we had only 2 plays all season go over 40 yards?

The fact that you yourself said we've had some poor tackling, that must be LeBeau's fault...somehow.

Tackling and coverage skills were horrible. I think pass rush and more games for Troy P bailed that secondary out last year. And yeah, I would think that the DC's job is to recognize who's under-performing and such.

It probably falls on the secondary coach and even coach Tomlin as well.

Seemed to me we gave up a ton of soft lob deep throws. Very bad coverage on the fade throws etc.. Makes a guy wonder what they worked on in practice every week because it sure was a recurring theme IMO.

Yet most Steelers fans can be quick to judge BA (I'm even among em') for his side of the ball's performance. I just don't get why it is taboo to not think LeBeau and his scheme is all that and a bag of chips.

HometownGal
01-13-2010, 08:22 PM
Yet most Steelers fans can be quick to judge BA for his side of the ball's performance. I just don't get why it is taboo to not think LeBeau and his scheme is all that and a bag of chips.

BINGO. This is what I've been saying all season. :banging: Dick Lebeau is a legend - no one can deny that or not appreciate him for his accomplishments with the Steelers. However - I feel he didn't make the necessary adjustments to compensate for the loss of Troy. It was like he expected to just insert Carter and would get the same results. I also agree with those who have previously stated that he got soft in the second halves of games where the Steelers O had the lead instead of remaining aggressive. I don't want to hear the :bs: that he "didn't have much to work with". Teams worthy of a playoff berth and ultimately the big prize overcome adversity and adjust to it. This season, Lebeau's unit failed to do so.

lionslicer
01-13-2010, 08:28 PM
Im just curious. Is there any way to become more of a complete defense, if there is such a thing? You know as opposed to having a strong front 7 and ok DB's.

If you have a great front 7, you can dominate a game because you can stop the run, then force them to pass and if you can stop the pass, bam number 1 defense. Teams that have done this have been in the top 5 defenses. 2008 Steelers stopped the run, and when the other team was forced to pass, we blitz the crap out of them, and with all the dynamic blitzes, even if players don't get there, they disrupt the play in some way.

But that isn't a complete defense unless the defensive backs play outstandingly. Its very had to have complete defenses since 2000 because of all the rules to help teams score, since what fans want to see, 24+ points on the board. Not 3 to 0 defensive struggles.

lionslicer
01-13-2010, 08:37 PM
Tackling and coverage skills were horrible. I think pass rush and more games for Troy P bailed that secondary out last year. And yeah, I would think that the DC's job is to recognize who's under-performing and such.

It probably falls on the secondary coach and even coach Tomlin as well.

Seemed to me we gave up a ton of soft lob deep throws. Very bad coverage on the fade throws etc.. Makes a guy wonder what they worked on in practice every week because it sure was a recurring theme IMO.

Yet most Steelers fans can be quick to judge BA (I'm even among em') for his side of the ball's performance. I just don't get why it is taboo to not think LeBeau and his scheme is all that and a bag of chips.

When Tomlin came here in 2007, he said he was working with the DB's a lot, and we had the 3rd ranked pass defense that year opposed to out 20th ranked pass defense in 2006. I don't know if its something Lebeau did, or if our secondary coach took over or if Tomlin lost something, or if the players just weren't trying as hard. But it wasn't a well coached group at all.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
01-13-2010, 09:30 PM

agree, but i do not like how dick says the steelers will have to kick him out. I think he needs to leave while hes on top of his game (before he starts declining). Personally i think he started to look down over that hill this season and should retire after this next season. It should not come to the steelers kicking him out

zulater
01-14-2010, 02:43 AM
BINGO. This is what I've been saying all season. :banging: Dick Lebeau is a legend - no one can deny that or not appreciate him for his accomplishments with the Steelers. However - I feel he didn't make the necessary adjustments to compensate for the loss of Troy. It was like he expected to just insert Carter and would get the same results. I also agree with those who have previously stated that he got soft in the second halves of games where the Steelers O had the lead instead of remaining aggressive. I don't want to hear the :bs: that he "didn't have much to work with". Teams worthy of a playoff berth and ultimately the big prize overcome adversity and adjust to it. This season, Lebeau's unit failed to do so.

That's just it. Without Polamalu and Aaron smith this defense wasn't playoff worthy. The talent just wasn't there.

WH
01-14-2010, 04:26 AM
That's just it. Without Polamalu and Aaron smith this defense wasn't playoff worthy. The talent just wasn't there.

And Arizona's defense somehow is playoff worthy?

HometownGal
01-14-2010, 05:51 AM

Tell that to Mike Tomlin. He didn't buy that bag of goods either if you listened to his last Tuesday press conference.

Teams worthy of a playoff berth and ultimately the big prize overcome adversity and adjust to it.

zulater
01-14-2010, 06:49 AM

More than ours is, but not by much. But all the same I'm glad you jumped on that. Because while the Cardinals defense isn't neccesarily playoff worthy either, their offense mostly certainly is and was up to the task of carrying a disproportinate share of the load. Sometimes on some teams as circumstances dictate that's the way it has to be.

zulater
01-14-2010, 07:06 AM
Tell that to Mike Tomlin. He didn't buy that bag of goods either if you listened to his last Tuesday press conference.

Teams worthy of a playoff berth and ultimately the big prize overcome adversity and adjust to it.

Tomlin and all NFL coaches say a lot of things at weekly press conferences that i don't neccessarily buy. In fact I think coach speak that's directed towards the press and public purposely has little value.

In a private moment I think Tomlin knows that he had a bunch of guys in the secondary this year that didn't neccessarily belong on an NFL field. Injuries aren't an excuse, but they certainly can be a reason.

That's not saying this team couldn't of and shouldn't have made the playoffs with Troy and Aaron missing the amount of time that they did. It just means that the remaining personell on defense weren't up to the job and other areas of the team needed to compensate for the predicatable and understandable drop off in performance from that unit.

As I pointed out before, in 79 the Steelers defensive performance dropped off drastically due to age and key injuries. ( Jack Ham being the most significant) If the offense had performed to the same level they had in previous SB winning seasons they never would have never got a whiff of SB XIV let alone win it.

Good teams play to their strengths. IMO given where the talent was on this year's team they didn't do a good enough job of building leads that a depleted secondary could hold.

WH
01-14-2010, 08:12 AM
More than ours is, but not by much. But all the same I'm glad you jumped on that. Because while the Cardinals defense isn't neccesarily playoff worthy either, their offense mostly certainly is and was up to the task of carrying a disproportinate share of the load. Sometimes on some teams as circumstances dictate that's the way it has to be.

The Steelers Offensive players are playoff worthy. PRobably more this year than last year.

tony hipchest
01-14-2010, 10:08 AM

our high powered offense was only able to score 2 tds vs that defense in the sb.

The Steelers Offensive players are playoff worthy. PRobably more this year than last year.unfortunately style points dont show up on the score board.

point win games. infact, our offense has only scored just 2 or fewer td's in half its games this season.

Dino 6 Rings
01-14-2010, 11:17 AM
LeBeau is not "off limits" for being called out. In fact, I called him out for not adjusting with the loss of Troy and attempting to put Carter in his place and expect the same results. That failed big time. However he has consistantly put his players in a position to make plays and they failed on him. Burnett dropped an easy INT against the Raiders for example. Harrison has blown a few sacks and let the QB escape. Players called the wrong play in the muddle huddle and sent the wrong guys because of Communication Problems.

He's not off limit, I call him out for always allowing 2 big drives a game while he adjusts to the other teams game plan. Happens almost every game, we let up two long drives. Then Clamp Down. Usually one a half.

The question was whether or not the game has passed him buy, which, I say no, it has not. The focus of the defense is to 1st, Stop the Run, 2nd, Pressure the QB, 3rd Create Turnovers. That's what it is designed to do. Our Corners didn't make plays until the last game of the season, yet they were in position to make plays all season. Our one Linebacker was hot getting sacks early in the year, and as soon as teams started to double up on Harrison, Woodley came on strong in the 2nd half and got the pressure we needed. That's the design of the defense.

Now, the league has become more of a passing league, according to the talking heads, however the Jets and Ravens both won playoff games with Running the Ball first style offenses. the Stop the pass defenses that were used by the Bengals and Patriots failed to stop the running game of either team.

The Packers showed also that the 3-4 Defense is very suseptable to giving up huge days to the QB once the QB figures out the zone and if the Oline can give the QB time and the Receivers make almost every catch. The Cowboys did win by using a Stop the Pass defense against a team that Passes 90% of the time, so they advanced. The Cowboys will not be able to use the same type of cover 2 or cover 3 defense against the Vikings otherwise Peterson will have 200 yards rushing and Brett with go 15-18 for 180 and 1 TD. Which would be enough to win. The Saints better use a Cover 2 against the Cardinals, and likewise, the Cardinals better use a cover two against the Saints, however, don't be surprised at all if the Saints come out Running the ball against a soft zone defense and end up with over 200 yards rushing.

However, I do like the Philosophy of Stop the Run, Pressure the QB, Generate Turnovers, that we have on the defensive side of the ball.

I, as a true NBBFer (Not Big Bruce fan) do not Like the Philosphy of set up the run with the pass.

zulater
01-14-2010, 11:44 PM
The Steelers Offensive players are playoff worthy. PRobably more this year than last year.

Then why aren't we in the playoffs? The defense carried the load last year, the offense on the surface seemed to have the talent, but the end result was they didn't put in enough points on the scoreboard in too many games.

Steelboy84
01-15-2010, 01:50 PM
LeBeau is the father of many of today's exotic blitzes. Not even close.

lionslicer
01-15-2010, 02:03 PM
LeBeau is the father of many of today's exotic blitzes. Not even close.

Usually fathers get old and slow down as life passes them by.