PDA

View Full Version : Lane Kiffin to USC

RoethlisBURGHer
01-13-2010, 12:08 AM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news;_ylt=AuYA4HMEWvB1pdlwWcmuiOI5nYcB?slug=td-kiffin011210&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Wow.

I don't like how college coaches can just leave a program for another without an repercussions. They leave the program in "shambles" often because recruits pull their commitments and the school is left looking for a coach.

I don't have a problem with a college coach leaving for a position in the NFL. But I think contracts need to be honored to go from college to college.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-13-2010, 01:02 AM
Ah, Brian Kelly went to Notre Dame, so why cant Kiffin goto USC. I think it makes sense since he was an assistant there before going to the Raiders and did a good job bringing the Vols back to relevance in 1 year.

I'm just shocked it happened so quick.

supa_fly_steeler
01-13-2010, 01:24 AM
lane kiffin got owned by frank beamers awesome play calling.

this is a bad decision imo. not that i know much about USC but they are just gonna suck now lol

Aussie_steeler
01-13-2010, 02:39 AM
Already on the phone to UCLA to get Norm Chow back.

Apparently Matt Barkley is jumping out of his skin.

Also reports that some of the Vols top recruits who havent reported to campus have already jumped ship to other programs now that Kiffin has gone.

Galax Steeler
01-13-2010, 04:54 AM
I thought Kiffin did a nice job in Tennessee I don't see why he was so willing to go to USC with the season he had here.

SteelMember
01-13-2010, 08:06 AM
I thought Kiffin did a nice job in Tennessee I don't see why he was so willing to go to USC with the season he had here.

I'm sure the powers that be at Tennessee are really happy with their decision. :rolleyes: I think the guy waited all of a day before ruffling feathers, and talking shit about other SEC programs... He enjoys being controversial. I don't know that the program did.

Dino 6 Rings
01-13-2010, 09:44 AM
this could be one of the biggest scumbag moves I've ever seen.

1 year worth of smack talking to rile up the fans, get people believing in you and you bolt out the door at the first chance you get? Sounds to me like maybe Al Davis was right about what kind of a person and character Lane really was.

Total garbage move. If not for his Daddy being with him, he'd be coaching Pee Wee football and probably illegally recruiting kids to his team at that level as well.

Total Garbage Move. Biggest Scum Bag of the year award goes to Lane Kiffon.

Seriously...has he held a job for longer than a year?

SteelersinCA
01-13-2010, 10:31 AM
Kiffin used to be an OC for USC, it's his "home." There was bound to be a shocking hire. There are a few programs out there that are going to be once in a lifetime opportunities in CFB, this is one. I can't fault anyone for wanting to be the coach of a Texas, Florida, OSU, ND, USC.

klick81
01-13-2010, 11:09 AM
This is a shocker, and I am really at odds with this move. He's a punk, and I cannot believe that he will not pull the same move on SC.

Edman
01-13-2010, 12:07 PM
Well, folks. We've found our next Nick Saban.

SteelMember
01-13-2010, 12:21 PM
Well, folks. We've found our next Nick Saban.

With a wiff of Petrino.

memphissteelergirl
01-13-2010, 12:23 PM
As much as I like to watch So. Cal football, it's going to be very hard for me to cheer for them this fall after seeing what a low-brow move Kiffin made to become their HC.
And trust me, coming from a Memphis fan/alum who loves to revel in any misery that comes UT's way, that's sayin' a lot! :chuckle:

tony hipchest
01-13-2010, 01:02 PM
he's a weenie. tom cable shoulda punched him.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-13-2010, 01:36 PM
I dont see the big deal. If I got fired and took the best job available for a year .......and then possibly my dream job came up, you can be I would take the new job.

Kiffin goes from a place where he is probably #5 on the totem pole for recruits, to a place where he is probably the #1 option for a kid from California to goto school and Kiffin was a OC there before.

If he pulled a Petrino and left dear John letters, now that is sleazy. Or if he adamantly denied interest in the USC job and then took it a week later like Saban....I can see the uproar. Heck, he just took a better job that came up.

steelerdude15
01-13-2010, 02:50 PM
Lane Kiffin is a punk, I don't like how he acts, he's too ****y. I honestly believe that USC will not be as good as they once were... I also think that Pete Carrol will come back to the college football in a few years IMO. Does anyone know the contract Carrol got from the Seahawks?

SteelMember
01-14-2010, 09:02 AM
If he pulled a Petrino and left dear John letters, now that is sleazy. Or if he adamantly denied interest in the USC job and then took it a week later like Saban....I can see the uproar. Heck, he just took a better job that came up.

That's just it. There were local reports that he told some recruits not to go to class. UT will allegedly hold these recruits to their letters because they were ON campus.

Sure, there are still some guys that would have wanted to go to UT anyway, but others who thought they were going to have Kiffin as their coach could end up losing a year of playing time if they want to transfer now. THAT, to me is what stinks. Not just the fact that he stirred a shitstorm and then left town.

Tennessee could have protected themselves a little more, also. I think the buyout was only 800,000... that's nothing to USC.

Steeler in Carolina
01-14-2010, 08:53 PM
Perfect fit. Jerk coach thug program.

Steeler in Carolina
01-14-2010, 08:54 PM
Of course 800,00 is nothing to USC. Their payroll for players is way more than that.

taztroy43
01-15-2010, 04:14 AM
Kiffin used to be an OC for USC, it's his "home." There was bound to be a shocking hire. There are a few programs out there that are going to be once in a lifetime opportunities in CFB, this is one. I can't fault anyone for wanting to be the coach of a Texas, Florida, OSU, ND, USC.

Agree w/ you completely....I don't think he'll be as good as Pete...but I think he'll do a pretty good job...he's young and most importantly he has experience @ the College and NFL level.....Having his dad work for him only improves things....but he's still a bitch for ditching the Vols....Its messed up but he left that team for his fav. team....and a pretty good one @ that(USC)...so I wouldn't blame him...but hey Kelly did the same thing when he left for the Fighting Irish and nobody really said anything(I mean the guy left his team before their bowl game)!!!!

klick81
01-15-2010, 11:16 AM
I love the HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE.

SteelersinCA
01-15-2010, 11:28 AM

It's just jealousy.

CrimsonTideSteelersFan
01-15-2010, 11:42 AM
Kiffin is a pure clown. He'll have USC's program so low that the Trojan fans will soon be longing for the days when the team played in the Emerald Bowl.

Seriously, this dude is a loser - what is the attraction to him? Regardless of who Tennessee ends up getting to replace Lame, it will be an upgrade. As an Alabama fan, I hate to see him leave Knoxville though.

SteelMember
01-15-2010, 11:58 AM

It's just jealousy.

a career record of 12-21 as a head coach. Whoo Hoo! :rolleyes:

revefsreleets
01-15-2010, 12:04 PM
One problem I see with this is these guys all lying all the time about their ostensible lack of desire to coach in the NFL. I think Carroll had stated AGAIN just few days earlier that he had no interest at all about coaching on Sunday's, and then "BOOM", he's signed by Seattle. I don't understand that.

I don't think Carroll is a classless guy, but I group Kiffin in with the Rich Rodriguez' of the college ranks...You'd never see Joe Pa or Tressel pulling this kind of shit.

Dino 6 Rings
01-15-2010, 12:53 PM
if Al Davis, the 700 year old Vampire calls you out and hits the nail on the head, you are clearly not a good person.

Lowlife Punk that wouldn't have a coaching job if his Daddy didn't come along with him for the ride.

JPPT1974
01-15-2010, 02:00 PM
UT really now hates him. For what he did and is a traitor. He would had gotten the program in trouble had he stayed longer.

St33lersguy
01-15-2010, 05:48 PM
What else can you say about this loser. This pinhead doesn't have a spine

SteelersinCA
01-16-2010, 01:01 AM
a career record of 12-21 as a head coach. Whoo Hoo! :rolleyes:

It is jealousy of USC's program, not Lane Kiffin.

revefsreleets
01-18-2010, 10:01 AM
I'm not sure I follow....Kiffin sells out Tennessee, and we call that out, but it's due to......................jealousy of the Trojans football program?That's not applicable for at least me, as I have NO jealousy over USC's program. I just think Kiffin is trashy...

In general, it makes little sense anyway. First off, it's a BIG step down for USC. Secondly, the situation was handled poorly....here's what Jay Paterno had to say on the matter...along with a little opinion sprinkled in from the local sports writer...

http://www.ohio.com/sports/mcmanamon/81898892.html

Joe Paterno for years has been the conscience of college football.

It appears he has passed the mantle to his son Jay, who voiced some healthy perspective in the State College (Pa.) newspaper this past week.

Jay Paterno wrote about the state of coaching in college football, brought on by the departure of Pete Carroll from USC and the subsequent move of Lane Kiffin from Tennessee to USC.

Kiffin, a guy who has proven nothing but that he can talk big, was given the USC job after winning seven games at Tennessee.

Kiffin left recruits in the lurch, and then made the ethically questionable decision to have Ed Orgeron, his recruiting coordinator, call some of his recruits and try to convince them to cancel the commitment to Tennessee and come to USC.

There's no sense hiding any hypocrisy here.

Some players are mercenaries, attending a college to enhance their pro status.

Some (many) coaches are out for themselves, leaving on a moment's notice to go from place to place.

But universities are clearly just as much at fault when they fire a coach before his contract runs out.

Notre Dame once had integrity. In the days when the Rev. Theodore Hesburgh was the president, the Irish would hire a coach and tell him: You have a five-year deal. If you lose, you will coach five years. If you break the rules, you will be fired the next day.

It's the reason the school committed to Gerry Faust for five years and stuck with him.

Recently, though, the university has done the same as any other, hiring Charlie Weis, then doing back flips over him his first year before firing him after last season.

Paterno wrote that media attention and money have altered priorities.

''The word 'coach' has been a title of respect,'' Jay Paterno said. ''A college or high school coach has a great responsibility; he or she needs to remember that the sport is a part of a larger academic life for the student-athlete. The word 'coach' should encompass the roles of educator, mentor, guidance counselor and manager of on-field duties.''

He then points out that Tennessee spent $7 million on coaching salaries — to win seven games.

''We are starting to look as arrogant as the Wall Street bankers raking in seven-figure bonuses,'' Jay Paterno wrote.

He, like his father and men like Dean Smith before him, see coaching as an extension of teaching. Smith used to say sports is like the front porch of a university — it's visible, but what goes on inside is more important.

But turn on any college basketball game and watch the behavior of coaches and you realize quickly that coaching is not at all like teaching. No university professor could keep a job if he or she screamed at students the way coaches scream at players.

Nor would his or her credibility be enhanced by constant job moves that leave their students wondering who will help them next.

It's ludicrous to consider big-time athletics as any purer than it is, but Jay Paterno is trying to do the right thing when he writes: ''It is the mission of our profession: The use of sport to help young men transition from high school and prepare them for the world that awaits them after college.''

Will anyone listen?

Well, David Cutcliffe actually turned down Tennessee to stay at Duke.

Which sounds like a start.

Until you read that Tennessee told Cutcliffe it had to keep the rest of Kiffin's staff, because the university didn't want to pay them not to coach.

SteelersinCA
01-18-2010, 01:37 PM
The unadulterated hate is jealousy. Put the shoe on the other foot, if Tressel were gone and Kiffin took the OSU job, whether you agreed with Kiffin deserving the job or not, would you be calling him trashy? No, you'd be saying he made the right choice going from a 2nd tier program to a top tier program. To call someone trashy simply because they made a better career move is ignorant.

If your present employer offers you a great promotion today, then the top ad company in the world offers you a job in NYC tomorrow and a million more per year are you going to turn it down out of some loyalty to your present company? I didn't think so. Then do you consider yourself trashy?

It's pretty apparent what everyone of us would do. Kiffin did nothing different, yet he's trashy. USC bought his contract out, only one thing left, jealousy or fear, except for Rev.

If Jay Paterno wants to stick his head in the Quaker sand there in PA, so be it. Football at these top programs isn't about academics, it's about getting paid. It's about media contracts and getting money for the program to get more money. It's about putting players in the NFL. Maybe that's why PSU plays in the non BCS bowls and when it falls into the BCS bowls it gets smacked in the mouth.

Ethics, morality in college football, please, that's comical Jayjay. Have fun in the Outback bowl.

revefsreleets
01-18-2010, 02:49 PM
Touched a nerve....

I thought Kiffin was trash BEFORE he screwed Tennessee....and since when is Tennessee a second tier program?

Kiffin has a long history of controversy and questionable behavior. He actually handled the Raiders situation so poorly that crazy ole Al Davis accused HIM of bringing shame on the Raiders organization. You'd have to be 6 different kinds of a dipshit to shame that train wreck. He was also acting trashy when he got to Tennessee, calling Urban Meyer a cheater, especially since it was Kiffin's recruiting tactics that were questionable...

And how did PSU get knocked in the mouth in their BCS WIN over LSU?

You've obviously let your emotion cloud your judgment...

SteelersinCA
01-18-2010, 08:38 PM
PSU was in a BCS game, huh, news to me. Must be my "clouded" judgment. I cannot possibly talk sense to anyone who thinks the Capital One Bowl is a BCS bowl. Have a good one.

revefsreleets
01-19-2010, 05:37 AM
You got me on that one...it just FELT like a BCS bowl.

Yay for you.

Kiffin is still trash...

SteelersinCA
01-19-2010, 09:27 AM
You and I would have left UT for USC or OSU too though, are we trash as well? My point is he may have been trash previously, this however, does not make him trash. This makes him a smart, opportunistic person. There is a distinction between the two.

revefsreleets
01-19-2010, 10:09 AM
You and I would have left UT for USC or OSU too though, are we trash as well? My point is he may have been trash previously, this however, does not make him trash. This makes him a smart, opportunistic person. There is a distinction between the two.

Please don't speak for me....I consider UT one of the premier football programs in the Country. They have a HUGE stadium, one of the great gameday experiences in all of college football, a loyal fanbase, and the ability to recruit on a level playing field with any program in the Country.

I'd have honored my contract.

CrimsonTideSteelersFan
01-19-2010, 11:36 AM
Please don't speak for me....I consider UT one of the premier football programs in the Country. They have a HUGE stadium, one of the great gameday experiences in all of college football, a loyal fanbase, and the ability to recruit on a level playing field with any program in the Country.

I'd have honored my contract.

I agree. UT has a much larger fan base than USC and a larger football stadium. USC has a few more national titles throughout the years than UT, but I'd still say that as far as head coach prestige is concerned, the two programs are basically identical.

revefsreleets
01-25-2010, 09:46 AM
Starting to wonder if perhaps Carroll's departure has more to do with the mounting reports of multiple recruiting violations by the Trojans?