PDA

View Full Version : Who's Ben's back-up in 10?

zulater
01-13-2010, 11:10 AM
Assuming the Bucs release Byron Leftwich, I want the Steelers to resign him, and allow he and Dennis Dixon to compete for the back-up job through OTA's and camp. I would predict that Byron would come out the winner in that competition.

steelreserve
01-13-2010, 11:25 AM
I really don't understand why the Broncos never signed Leftwich in the first place, other than their head coach is a blithering idiot. But it should be painfully obvious that they need someone better than Kyle Orton back there. If they or one of about half a dozen other teams don't sign Leftwich and offer him a shot at the starting role, I'd be surprised.

Dixon seems like he'd do pretty well as a backup if we took the handcuffs off him. That Baltimore game was one of the most frustrating things to watch in years.

zulater
01-13-2010, 11:32 AM
I really don't understand why the Broncos never signed Leftwich in the first place, other than their head coach is a blithering idiot. But it should be painfully obvious that they need someone better than Kyle Orton back there. If they or one of about half a dozen other teams don't sign Leftwich and offer him a shot at the starting role, I'd be surprised.

Dixon seems like he'd do pretty well as a backup if we took the handcuffs off him. That Baltimore game was one of the most frustrating things to watch in years.

I really don't see any teams being interested in Leftwich as a potential starter after how poorly things went for him in Tampa. Don't get me wrong, I don't think that was Byron's fault, but perception tends to become reality in the NFL and as hard as it was for him to get a shot as a starter last year, I just can't see anyone trying to sell Byron to their season ticket holders as the answer. :noidea:

I think the Bucs will release him, the Steelers will sign him, and within a week Charlie will retire and become the Steelers qb coach.

Shoes
01-13-2010, 11:34 AM
Dixon will be the back-up. He did well under pressure in the ravens game, showing he can run and pass.

vrabinec
01-13-2010, 11:41 AM
I took Dixon. I think that with another off-season and camp he'll be more than ready to be the #2. I assume we'll draft a kid in the late rounds or pick up a cheap free agent to be the third QB. As for Lefty, if the price was right, I wouldn't mind making him the new Batch for the next five or six years, but only if he can beat out Dixon, which I'm not so sure any more he can do.

JEFF4i
01-13-2010, 11:47 AM
Dixon, I think he has great potential.

Oh, and frustrated in the Ravens game? Did you see the Pat White hit? Say that happens to Dixon...then what?

steelreserve
01-13-2010, 11:57 AM
I really don't see any teams being interested in Leftwich as a potential starter after how poorly things went for him in Tampa. Don't get me wrong, I don't think that was Byron's fault, but perception tends to become reality in the NFL and as hard as it was for him to get a shot as a starter last year, I just can't see anyone trying to sell Byron to their season ticket holders as the answer. :noidea:

I think the Bucs will release him, the Steelers will sign him, and within a week Charlie will retire and become the Steelers qb coach.

Thing is, they don't have to offer Leftwich a starting job, just a chance to compete for a starting job. He definitely won't get that here. I can think of several teams whose QB situation is complete crap. Broncos, Redskins, Raiders, Bills, Rams, Jaguars, Browns, 49ers .. they're all a mess. And you can throw in Seattle too, since who knows if Old Man Hasselbeck can play anymore, and they sure as hell don't have anyone behind him. I don't think ALL of those teams are going to be able to address their QB problems in the draft or FA.

I mean, let's face it. For teams like that, bringing in a guy like Leftwich to compete is not going to turn off the fans any more than trotting out JaMarcus Russell or Brady Quinn as the face of your franchise and trying to convince everyone that no, trust us, THIS really is the year he'll finally get his shit together.

I do think Batch is gone, whether he hangs it up or tries to play one more year somewhere else. So we'll be looking for a third QB, at least. But even though I liked Leftwich and would take him back if we could get him, I just think too many things would have to fall into place to make that likely.

stlrtruck
01-13-2010, 12:03 PM
I think that game against the ratbirds solidified Dixon's position next year. I think they'll bring in some competition, maybe even let Batch in to camp to compete. But I really believe that the backup QB is Dixon's to lose this season.

Nothing against Batch.

SteelerFanInStl
01-13-2010, 12:14 PM
Dixon

ricksteelers55
01-13-2010, 12:25 PM
I dont think Byron will comeback to the burgh.First we didnt draft Dixon to be a 3rd stringer(specially not after seeing what he's capable of) so I believe that unless we have injuries at QB(which I hope not) and that Byron is still a FA by time being,I dont see him being a Steeler ever again.

Curtain_of_Steel
01-13-2010, 12:39 PM
Offer leftwhich a chance to compete for the starting job?

Nothing like telling leftwhich your a bug dummy if you believe that, huh? Thats ridiculous to even offer up. He has less than a zero chance, barring BB getting hit by a 747 while skate boarding to compete for the starting job. NO ONE is competing for the starting QB job. Its BB's.

We have dixon who did just fine, depsite the stupid play calling of arians in that game.

HOFCitySteelers
01-13-2010, 12:45 PM

Watch it!!! I know their head coach lol. More so his dad and younger brother. I played for his dad in high school. Kyle Orton was never really the plan for them. There was some attempts to trade for Quinn. I wouldn't be the least bit shocked if there is another attempt around draft time. If there is no deal, they will prob draft a qb.

scsteeler
01-13-2010, 12:57 PM
Dixon, I think he has great potential.

Oh, and frustrated in the Ravens game? Did you see the Pat White hit? Say that happens to Dixon...then what?

If you watched Dixon play against the Ravens he only ran on a designed play for him. His was in the pocket for the most part. And yes when he did run he scored a TD. By the way any QB can get hurt at anytime Pat White got hurt it happens.

JEFF4i
01-13-2010, 01:04 PM
If you watched Dixon play against the Ravens he only ran on a designed play for him. His was in the pocket for the most part. And yes when he did run he scored a TD. By the way any QB can get hurt at anytime Pat White got hurt it happens.

That's like equating sitting at home to driving a car. Anyone can get hurt at home, after all.

Yes, any player can be injured, but the play callers had to be careful with him, since he was our only real QB at the time with Batch and BB out. Therefore, they had to put him in a position with the least likelyhood to be injured.

Sure, they called the one rollout that had us take the lead, and defense let us down again.

tony hipchest
01-13-2010, 01:04 PM
jake delhomme once he is released. :wink:

steelpride12
01-13-2010, 01:38 PM
Dixon is surely secured as the second string QB for Pittsburgh next season after his excellent start against the Ravens, QB's will be brought in to see what they got, but I don't see any passing up Dixon for now.

zulater
01-14-2010, 02:55 AM
You guys are a lot more secure with Dixon than I am. Yeah he played a good first half against the Ravens. The second half, not so much. If Ben were to go down for a 3-4 game stretch in a season where we were right in the mix I wouldn't feel comfortable at all turning the offense over to Dixon based on what I've seen to date. What is he a 50% passer through 2 pre seasons against mostly non NFL players. Sorry but that doesn't work for me. I'm not saying he can't do it, but at least bring in someone like Leftwich who would at least make him earn it. In other words I don't want Dixon to assume the back up role by default because Charlie retires, and then have Ben go down for 2 or 3 games and find out he's not even close to capable.

Galax Steeler
01-14-2010, 03:35 AM
You guys are a lot more secure with Dixon than I am. Yeah he played a good first half against the Ravens. The second half, not so much. If Ben were to go down for a 3-4 game stretch in a season where we were right in the mix I wouldn't feel comfortable at all turning the offense over to Dixon based on what I've seen to date. What is he a 50% passer through 2 pre seasons against mostly non NFL players. Sorry but that doesn't work for me. I'm not saying he can't do it, but at least bring in someone like Leftwich who would at least make him earn it. In other words I don't want Dixon to assume the back up role by default because Charlie retires, and then have Ben go down for 2 or 3 games and find out he's not even close to capable.

I see what you are a saying but the only way Dixon is going to get better is to go out there and play. His first start came against the Ravens he did a pretty good job against that defense. In order for him to be the no. 2 he has to start a few games.

lionslicer
01-14-2010, 04:16 AM
I like Dixon, Batch should retire and become our new quarterbacks coach.

steelerdave1969
01-14-2010, 08:26 AM
Assuming the Bucs release Byron Leftwich, I want the Steelers to resign him, and allow he and Dennis Dixon to compete for the back-up job through OTA's and camp. I would predict that Byron would come out the winner in that competition.

I really think that Dennis Dixon proved that he is the man of the future as far as the Steelers backup role goes. The guy went to Baltimore and did not lose that game, he actually took the Ravens the distance. I thought in my mind and heart that we won that game just for the fact that without our starting QB, actually our 3rd stringer we took a very good team to overtime at their own home stadium to the max. The guy deserves a chance and I think the Steelers are gonna give him that chance, and if they dont.. then I almost promise someone will.

steelerdave1969
01-14-2010, 08:27 AM
I like Dixon, Batch should retire and become our new quarterbacks coach.

Sorry, just dont agree that Batch would be a good fit..

mulldog24
01-14-2010, 08:48 AM
I would actually like to sign someone like Leftwich or Bruck Gradkowski(if he is cut) to come in and compete for the #2 job as I believe cometition is healthy.

zulater
01-14-2010, 09:08 AM
I would actually like to sign someone like Leftwich or Bruck Gradkowski(if he is cut) to come in and compete for the #2 job as I believe cometition is healthy.

You and I are of one mind on this! :thumbsup:

supa_fly_steeler
01-14-2010, 10:19 AM
Why would we want to challenge Dixon for the #2 spot, we know he's good, it will only put his training and confidence behind him if we sign a Leftwich.

devilsdancefloor
01-14-2010, 10:59 AM
D Dixon will be the backup

Nadroj 20
01-14-2010, 01:22 PM
I think no matter what Dixon is our back up......he proved hes capable during the ravens game and id feel the most comfortable with him being our back up.

vrabinec
01-14-2010, 01:52 PM
Funny that Batch has the fewest votes. I know I said that I voted for Dixon, but I should add that, if Batch is healthy, I think he's the best of those three QB's.

lionslicer
01-14-2010, 02:13 PM
Funny that Batch has the fewest votes. I know I said that I voted for Dixon, but I should add that, if Batch is healthy, I think he's the best of those three QB's.

Batch has a better understanding then all of those quarterbacks, but he just doesn't have the athleticism. We only keep him around because he's mentoring Ben, and he's lived in Pittsburgh his whole life and does a lot for the community.
People think Batch isn't quarterback coach material, but after each drive the first person Ben talks to is Batch, not Ken Anderson, the QB coach who just retired.

zulater
01-14-2010, 11:40 PM
Why would we want to challenge Dixon for the #2 spot, we know he's good, it will only put his training and confidence behind him if we sign a Leftwich.

We do? Based on one decent half we're to assume he's good enough to be the back- up qb next year? You do realize of course without Charlie Batch delivering a couple wins in 2005 when Ben was down we never even make the playoffs, let alone win SB XL? I want more of a safety net than that. If Dixon is too fragile mentally to withstand decent competition then I don't think he's going to do you any good anyway.

I'm not a hater, just a doubter, make him earn it by bringing in someone who has a bit of a track record, just in case.