PDA

View Full Version : Steelers lose one defensive assistant, possibly another

7willBheaven
01-13-2010, 02:07 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10013/1027940-100.stm

Steelers lose one defensive assistant, possibly another
Wednesday, January 13, 2010
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers have lost another assistant from their coaching staff and could be in danger of losing one more.

Lou Spanos, a defensive assistant for the past 15 seasons, has agreed to become the linebackers coach for the Washington Redskins under new Coach Mike Shanahan. The Redskins have hired former Steelers defensive coordinator Jim Haslett to install the 3-4 defense in Washington.

Also, Steelers linebacker coach Keith Butler is a candidate to become defensive coordinator with the Miami Dolphins. He has been granted permission by the Steelers to speak with Dolphins Coach Tony Sporano.

Coach Mike Tomlin has already had three changes on his coaching staff: Offensive line coach Larry Zierlein and special teams coordinator Bob Ligashesky were fired and quarterbacks coach Ken Anderson retired,

Meantime, Omar Khan, the team's football and business administration coordinator, interviewed yesterday with new Seattle Seahawks Coach Pete Carroll about becoming their general manager. He is one of four known candidates for the position.

----------------------------------

Thoughts? I want to keep Butler myself!

AllD
01-13-2010, 02:52 PM
Going to the skins' for the $, going to the fins for the weather (but not this week).

vrabinec
01-13-2010, 03:03 PM
I don't mind losing Spanos all that much, but Butler is a hell of a coach. I was hoping he would eventually replace LeBeau.

steeltheone
01-13-2010, 03:39 PM
Can't fault guys for leaving in the name of advancement. Plenty of assistant coaches to be had.

Shellshock
01-13-2010, 03:59 PM
Could this mean a change is coming for the D?

meelanova
01-13-2010, 04:03 PM
Could this mean a change is coming for the D?

The switch to the 4-3 or Tampa 2 was inevitable. I think it just sped up though.

meelanova
01-13-2010, 04:06 PM
Also, Butler IS a good coach and knows defense. With LeBeau reaching retirement soon I was hoping he took his spot. I hope he stays to ride this coming season to wait of LeBeau actually retires.

I cant blame for leaving though. Butler will teach the 3-4 D in Miami and out of LeBeau's shadow.

43Hitman
01-13-2010, 04:08 PM
The switch to the 4-3 or Tampa 2 was inevitable. I think it just sped up though.

We don't have the personnel to switch to a 4-3, and as long as Lebeau is here, we'll have a 3-4.

Indo
01-13-2010, 04:13 PM
I don't mind losing Spanos all that much, but Butler is a hell of a coach. I was hoping he would eventually replace LeBeau.

Yep.

Dino 6 Rings
01-13-2010, 04:29 PM
Surprised more guys weren't taken from our defenisive staff after last season actually...

and as long as we have Troy P, we will never run a true Tampa 2 Defense. He's way to dynamic a player to sit back in that type of defense (which everyone knows is very susceptible to passes down the center of the field to the tight end and also gives up a lot of slant patterns for big gains)

stillers4me
01-13-2010, 04:38 PM
Funny thing is, I don't see anybody knocking the door down to hire our offensive staff.

Psyychoward86
01-13-2010, 04:41 PM
Good lord, out of all of those, I worry about losing Keith Butler the most. Who's going to run our defense once Lebeau retires/leaves/passes away?

Prok
01-13-2010, 05:04 PM
Good lord, out of all of those, I worry about losing Keith Butler the most. Who's going to run our defense once Lebeau retires/leaves/passes away?

Coach T was a DC before we hired him.

Coach T did pretty well in that capacity.

I believe Coach T will find us a good DC.

:tt:

ricardisimo
01-13-2010, 05:59 PM
Spanos was defensive quality control, wasn't he? I find it curious that he's leaving us this year rather than last, when he produced arguably his best work. I would have thought he'd be the subject of some discussion given the 4th quarter collapses that (technically) were his responsibility.

Vincent
01-13-2010, 06:29 PM
Coach T was a DC before we hired him.

Coach T did pretty well in that capacity.

I believe Coach T will find us a good DC.

:tt:

Puh-leeze.

Coach T has done a fabulous job with STs and offense. Right? :rolleyes:

Note all the talent lined up to coach STs and OL. :chuckle:

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
01-13-2010, 10:10 PM

I kinda thought that was supposed to be the plan.

tony hipchest
01-13-2010, 10:33 PM
sparano still has to choose between butler and parcells old buddy, al groh. plus butler can always be hired away from the dolphins in the future if needed.

Steeldude
01-14-2010, 01:13 AM
Redskins have hired former Steelers defensive coordinator Jim Haslett to install the 3-4 defense in Washington

i hope the steelers play the redskins this coming season.

i see nobody is taking the steelers' DB coach.

tomlin will look for new candidates to fill the vacant positions next time he is online playing madden on his PS3. :smile:

MasterOfPuppets
01-14-2010, 03:18 AM
Funny thing is, I don't see anybody knocking the door down to hire our offensive staff.
hater ...:chuckle:

Galax Steeler
01-14-2010, 03:29 AM
Butler is not gone yet he is just going to talk to them. Hopefully we will get him back and he will stay with the team for a while.

atlsteelers
01-14-2010, 02:48 PM
the dolphins are also considering al groh for the DC job. Him and parcells go way back. my bet is the job goes to groh. wonder why butler did not take the cardinal job last winter if he was looking to become a DC?

X-Terminator
01-14-2010, 02:52 PM
i see nobody is taking the steelers' DB coach.

Look again...

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=46765