PDA

View Full Version : Cowher wants NY Giants job according to Bettis

tony hipchest
01-14-2010, 06:31 PM
granted, jerome is no used car salesman, but still-

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/2010/01/14/2010-01-14_jerome_bettis_says_bill_cowher_waiting_on_giant s_head_coaching_job.html

Bill Cowher wants to be the next head coach of the Giants.

At least, he does according to Jerome Bettis, Cowher's former running back with the Pittsburgh Steelers. Bettis said the reason Cowher hasn't returned to coach is because he's "holding out" for the Giants job to open up. In fact, he told Chris "Mad Dog" Russo Thursday on Sirius XM's Mad Dog Radio that Cowher would have gotten the Giants' job in 2008 if Tom Coughlin hadn't taken the Giants on that magical, Super Bowl XLII run.

"That's the team that he really coveted," Bettis said. "This is where he always wanted to be. The Mara family, he's been very close to them. He's known them very well and was on the inside track - before the Giants won the Super Bowl - for that job. And I think he's holding out for that opportunity if it presents itself."

Bettis added that he believes that Cowher "is going to be with the Giants" eventually - possibly as soon as next year.

"He would have definitely gotten the job (after the 2007 season, if the Giants hadn't gone on a run)," Bettis said. "And if Coughlin doesn't get that team back in the right direction next year I think they'll pull the plug."

It's all speculation of course, but it's interesting speculation considering how Giants co-owner John Mara has seemingly put Coughlin on notice after the Giants' miserable 8-8 season. During his angry postseason press conference, Mara said "I'm not pleased with anybody right now" and served notice by adding "I am anxious to hear from both (Coughlin) and Jerry (Reese) what we're going to do to fix this. "

Mara added that neither his coach nor his GM are currently in danger of being fired, but he offered no guarantees for their future, which could be in doubt if the Giants suffer through another down year.

Meanwhile, the 52-year-old Cowher hasn't coached since the end of the 2006 season, when he stepped down after 15 seasons running the Pittsburgh Steelers. He has been mentioned the last few years in connection with nearly every coaching vacancy. Most NFL observers have assumed he's waiting for John Fox to get fired from Carolina so Cowher could take the Panthers job, which would be close to his Raleigh, N.C., home.

But Bettis obviously sees things different. Asked if he thought Cowher was going to sit out until the Giants job open, he said "That's what he's doing. That's where he's got his eyes."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/2010/01/14/2010-01-14_jerome_bettis_says_bill_cowher_waiting_on_giant s_head_coaching_job.html#ixzz0cjbGxO7l

SMR
01-14-2010, 06:38 PM
Whaa....

:jawdrop:

SMR
01-14-2010, 06:43 PM
If Cowher is going to coach again, I'd prefer he go to the Panthers since they are my second favorite team. It would be sweet for me to have the former Steeler coach the Panthers.

By the way, my other two players, Kevin Greene and Greg Lloyd, played for both of my teams- whoo hoo!

:grin:

lionslicer
01-14-2010, 06:49 PM
He wont get the Giants job. Unless it was as Defensive Cooridator. They have too much trust in coughlin.
As soon as a more southern team head coaching job opens, thats where he's gonna go.

43Hitman
01-14-2010, 09:58 PM
granted, jerome is no used car salesman, but still-

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/2010/01/14/2010-01-14_jerome_bettis_says_bill_cowher_waiting_on_giant s_head_coaching_job.html

:toofunny::rofl:

Also, in before "The braintrust strikes again"

Glace
01-14-2010, 10:58 PM
Well, this one was kinda out there. Never expected the Giants to come into the mix.

Giants have the recipe for success though....young franchise QB....good stable of RB's. Good defensive philosophy. Didn't pan out for them this year, but they did beat my most hated team in the superbowl and ended "the perfect season"

Coughlin may have won them a superbowl, but there have been grumblings about him since he got there.

tony hipchest
01-14-2010, 11:09 PM
2 things are certain from his cbs job. he loves working in NYC on the weekends and he loves the big stage in the national spotlight.

i dont think cowher needs to go south. he seemed to show more interest in the buffalo job than any other since he retired. i would not be suprised at all if he is perfectly content where he is at until the perfect job arises.

anyone get the feeling he doesnt want to be a big fish in a small pond?

MACH1
01-14-2010, 11:43 PM
Bettis, A creditable source? Probably just making it up to get more face time.
:chuckle:

OneForTheToe
01-15-2010, 12:30 AM
But what does the Cowher that matters want?

Nobody seems to have asked Kaye yet.

HometownGal
01-15-2010, 07:50 AM
Most NFL observers have assumed hes waiting for John Fox to get fired from Carolina so Cowher could take the Panthers job, which would be close to his Raleigh, N.C. home.

And I still stand by my belief that when the Panthers HC'ing vacancy opens up, The Chin will be their next HC. It's a win-win. Besides, Kate would smash him over the head with a frying pan if he took the Giants HC'ing spot should it become available after next season. :pin:

revefsreleets
01-15-2010, 09:57 AM
Hmmmmmm.....have a question here.

So when I post up something that actually happened, cited, and referenced, that came STRAIGHT FROM COWHER'S OWN MOUTH, as in this:

http://blog.cleveland.com/sports/2008/02/bill_cowher_is_a_hit_in_clevel.html

Bill Cowher is a hit in Cleveland Browns' territory
By Mike Starkey
February 22, 2008, 12:10PM

Bill Cowher, the long-time coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers, visited enemy territory today as the keynote speaker for the Cleveland Auto Show dealer's breakfast.

Cowher, who played for the Browns and later was an assistant under Marty Schottenheimer, stepped down as Steelers coach a year ago to spend time with his family. He was rumored as a possible candidate for the Browns job at the start of last season when there was speculation that Romeo Crennel might be fired.

In a question-and-answer session following his speech, Cowher was asked if he'd ever want to come back and coach in Cleveland.

"I'd love to come back," Cowher said. "If there's a place I'd like to come back to, this is it."

He quickly added, "Don't get me wrong. I'm not coming back."

Cowher, who worked as a pre-game host on CBS this past season, praised Crennel.

"Romeo has done the hard work and now he's reaping the rewards," Cowher said. "He's a great head coach and you (Browns fans) should support him."

As he finished his speech, Cowher received a standing ovation from the crowd. He was asked if he ever expected that to happen in Cleveland.

"No one would ever believe me if I told them it did," he said.

I'm mocked and derided.

Yet when others post up wild speculation, and are continually found wrong (Because Cowher was DEFINITELY ONLY going to Carolina, Fox was DEFINITELY getting fired according to....um.....some), then he was going to Tampa, then the Bills (and he still hasn't gone ANYWHERE, which makes everyone EQUALLY wrong), they are somehow LESS wrong because their sources are worse? They are speculating MORE wildly based on LESS?

I'm just, you know, checking on the double standard.....Bill Cowher saying something HIMSELF is LESS credible than what others say on his behalf because the person posting the articles QUOTING COWHER HIMSELF doesn't enjoy a certain board popularity that others do?

T&B fan
01-15-2010, 10:29 AM
I have said in other post that Bill loves his TV gig and was going no place .... now haveing seen him talk on the pregame show he has me thinking he will be back on the side line soon... when ??? where ??? . only Bill knows .

lionslicer
01-15-2010, 02:12 PM
Cowher = The Brett Favre of coaches.

He said "Don't get me wrong, I'm not comming back" But he has said many times to people because of the Coaching troubles with the Panthers, Jags, Texans and Bucs, he would come back if they offered him the job because of the location of 3 of the teams, and something just draws him towards the Texans.

And maybe people forgot he did meet with the Bills owners to talk about coaching the team. Thats meet, not talk on the phone, actually flew to him to meet each other, twice after he scheduled the meeting.

SMR
01-15-2010, 03:08 PM
And I still stand by my belief that when the Panthers HC'ing vacancy opens up, The Chin will be their next HC. It's a win-win. Besides, Kate would smash him over the head with a frying pan if he took the Giants HC'ing spot should it become available after next season. :pin:

I sure hope you are right. I will go by that belief.

NJarhead
01-15-2010, 03:20 PM
Being in the New York market, I wouldn't mind at all seeing what he could do with Big Blue.

devilsdancefloor
01-15-2010, 08:13 PM
they are kinda set up like the steelers run run run & defense. i could see it happen

tony hipchest
01-15-2010, 08:33 PM
as far as the giants or carolina goes, the mara's and richardson have been 2 of the rooneys closest owner friends in the league for some time. i can definitely see where cowher would respect them and their franchises just as he did with dan and the steelers.

cowher has pretty high standards. if the steelers were eva longoria, you can expect his next gig to atleast be just as attractive (even if not as successful).

Hmmmmmm.....have a question here.

So when I post up something that actually happened, cited, and referenced, that came STRAIGHT FROM COWHER'S OWN MOUTH, as in this:

I'm mocked and derided.

well, if you really wanna know... its simple.

while the complete majority took cowher for his word that he was happy in the studio, spending time with his family, and not going anywhere, you said he was DEFINITELY going to cleveland, citing this lame article.

even though STRAIGH FROM COWHERS MOUTH he said- "Don't get me wrong. I'm not coming back."

he pandered to the crowd, anyone can see that. :noidea:

you might as well been one of the clevelandites who bought it hook, line, and sinker and stood up and cheered with their hearts full of hope and belief.

Shellshock
01-15-2010, 10:08 PM
Cower couldn't handle the NY press coverage.

NJarhead
01-16-2010, 10:50 AM
Cower couldn't handle the NY press coverage.

He's second to only Bill Parcells (IMO) in his ability to handle the NYC press.

zulater
01-17-2010, 06:07 PM
Bettis, A creditable source? Probably just making it up to get more face time.
:chuckle:

Bettis did have it right at the beggining of the 2006 season when he said Cowher was done as the Steelers HC at the end of that season.

GodfatherofSoul
01-17-2010, 09:04 PM
This might have been a preemptive strike by Cowher. Float a rumor to Bettis to get it out in the public. Get disillusioned fans and players thinking about it, let it stew for a few weeks, and see if the owners start to like the idea. Seems way too convenient that Bettis leaked this rumor at this time.