View Full Version : Starkey: Spygate and all, Pats NFL's Team of 2000s

mesaSteeler
01-15-2010, 07:02 AM
Starkey: Spygate and all, Pats NFL's Team of 2000s
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_662302.html#
By Joe Starkey
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, January 15, 2010

Among all those blown red-zone opportunities and fourth-quarter leads, the Steelers squandered something else of significance this season, something besides a playoff spot and the right to defend their Super Bowl title.

They blew a legitimate chance to live forever as the NFL's Team of the 2000s.

An insignificant byproduct of a season gone bad?

You tell me: Is it insignificant that the Green Bay Packers are immortalized as kings of the 1960's, or that the Steelers are known as Lords of the '70's, the 49ers the '80's and the Cowboys the '90's?

I'd say those distinctions are more than a little meaningful to each franchise and its fan base — and I'd say the latest Team of the Decade has to be the New England Patriots.

Has to, unless you believe Spygate ruins their legacy.

I don't, although I would have considered it the tie-breaker — in favor of the Steelers — if the Steelers had won it all this season and thereby equaled the Patriots' three Super Bowl wins since the turn of the millennium.

It's not that Spygate should be disregarded. It's just that we'll never know how much the illicit videotaping of opposing coaches' signals helped the Patriots, just as we'll never know how much steroids might have helped the 70's Steelers rocket past their competition.

Even in some years when the Patriots didn't win it all, they scored some notable achievements:

• In 2007, they posted the NFL's only 16-0 regular season.

• In 2006, they went to San Diego, where the top-seeded Chargers didn't lose in the regular season, and sprung a 24-21 playoff upset.

• Last year, they missed the playoffs but went 11-5 with a quarterback (Matt Cassel) who hadn't started a game since high school.

The Colts won more regular-season games than any team this decade, but even if they win the Super Bowl, two titles won't cut it. Neither, in my book, will the gutless act of punting on a perfect season, but that's a story for another day.

The Patriots certainly didn't win by beating bad competition. Whether it was stifling the Rams' "Greatest Show on Turf" in Super Bowl XXXVI, twice eliminating the great Peyton Manning or going to Heinz Field to win two AFC titles, they did it the hard way.

Of course, even as I write that, the word "Spygate" keeps popping into my cranium. The recurring question: Why would Bill Belichick have continued his illicit videotaping operation for seven-some years if it wasn't helping?

Two years ago at training camp, I asked Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau if he thought the Patriots had benefitted from the videotaping, which included illicitly taping Steelers coaches in four games from 2001-04.

"I don't see how it could hurt 'em." LeBeau said.

LeBeau, coordinator for the last two of those taped games, said the Steelers used "safeguards" against signals being stolen, including sending in calls with substitutes. But when teams ran a no-huddle offense, as the Patriots did, hand signals were the only means by which to get the calls in fast enough. This was before radio transmitters were permitted on the defensive side, beginning last season.

What's more, LeBeau said he didn't change the signals drastically from game to game because "you didn't want to confuse your defensive guys." That means the Patriots' tapes from, say, their game at Heinz Field midway through the '04 season might have been quite useful in the title-game rematch two months later.

I guess we'll never know.

I suppose you could put an asterisk next to New England's championships.

But make no mistake, the Patriots should and will go down as the NFL's Team of the 2000s — partly because the '09 Steelers blew it.

Joe Starkey can be reached at jstarkey@tribweb.com or 412-320-7810.

(There is no team I hate more than the stinking Cheatriots. They are not the team of the decade they are total frauds. They cheated their way to Super Bowls at our expense. - mesa)

supa_fly_steeler
01-15-2010, 07:11 AM
It should be the colts or the steelers.

i hope brady gets battered in a nightclub full of steeler fans when he retires for his fraudulent schemes bring alot bellicheat as well gotta teach him something as well

stlrtruck
01-15-2010, 09:02 AM
Has to, unless you believe Spygate ruins their legacy.

Hey Mr. Starkey, I think you'll find a lot of NFL Fans find that spygate taints a lot of things from chowdha head country.

Vincent
01-15-2010, 09:22 AM
They won 3 by 3 each by cheating. Evabuddy in the league knows that. They cheated in the regular season. They cheated in the post season. The league did @#$% about it. Once they couldn't cheat, they became an average team.

Asterisk. Period.

Next?

BigBen'sSwagger
01-15-2010, 09:26 AM
Funny he mentions only those things the cheats did but how bout what the '04 Steelers did with a rookie QB racking up a 15-1 season. Obliterating both the cheats and the eagles in back to back weeks in the regular season only to lose to the cheating bass turds. How bout the '05 Steelers who knocked off the 3 teams with the best records in the AFC to become the only 6th seed to win a Superbowl. Last year's team beat one of the toughest schedules finnishing 2nd before taking the Superbowl in grand fashion.

Sorry but this story only looks at one side of the story.

Gnutella
01-15-2010, 10:16 AM
Tom Landry and Mike Shanahan have been caught "cheating" too, but nobody discredits either of their accomplishments.

CanadianSteel
01-15-2010, 10:41 AM
Hmmm - dont recall seeing those quotes from dick Lebeau before .... very interesting..... and hleps prove why NE went hurry up offence against us.

I am thinking of getting tickets to the *PATS game next year right behind the New Englad bench as I cant hold onto this hatrred much longer and have to get it out of my system.... plus the stadium will be rokin that day for sure...

T&B fan
01-15-2010, 11:12 AM
Tom Landry and Mike Shanahan have been caught "cheating" too, but nobody discredits either of their accomplishments.

???? :link:

It's not that Spygate should be disregarded. It's just that we'll never know how much the illicit videotaping of opposing coaches' signals helped the Patriots, just as we'll never know how much steroids might have helped the 70's Steelers rocket past their competition

and why is that ?? could it be that they tossed out the tapes so we would not know all the help they had ...

as for the steroids and the 70s . it was not NOT agenst the rules then ...

SteelerEmpire
01-15-2010, 11:18 AM
Why didn't the NFL punish the Patriot organization more than it did ?? The Green Bay Packers sent a report to the NFL that they suspected the Patriots were cheating back in 2001 ?? Why didn't the NFL do anything then ??
If Goodell and Co. would have forfeited past games (and SB's) of the Pats it would have hurt the integrity of the NFL "even more" substantially than it did... just like the NBA swept the recent scandal that refs help to fix games under the rug... fans would lose interest and quit buying tickets and watching games if they felt games were fixed even before the whistle blew. This is what, in part, sent the game of boxing into the boon-docks... fight fixing became a norm in that game...
The Pats will, for sure, be named the team of the 00 decade. But the Pats, for sure, will be ALWAYS be known (thanks in part to the Steeler Nation) as the only them in history to "officially " be caught cheating while building their legacy !!! NOTE THAT STEROIDS WERE NOT ILLEGAL IN THE 70'S... The 70's Steeler's team was in parameters of the rules AND the law.

fansince'76
01-15-2010, 11:24 AM
They won 3 by 3 each by cheating. Evabuddy in the league knows that. They cheated in the regular season. They cheated in the post season. The league did @#$% about it. Once they couldn't cheat, they became an average team.

Asterisk. Period.

Next?

This.

revefsreleets
01-15-2010, 11:30 AM
This article is a giant reeking steaming heap of horse shit.

steeltheone
01-15-2010, 12:24 PM
Video this video that. You still have to play the game on the field. Tha Patriots won 3. Done deal. We had the better team in 01' We blew it. They were better in 05' Rookie QB's never make it for a reason. Ask Flacco last year, Lets get em' next decade!

steelreserve
01-15-2010, 12:31 PM
Whatever. I don't really think there was a "Team of the Decade." Congratulations, commish, the salary cap did its job.

What I wonder is: What if we win another Super Bowl or two in the coming years? Does nobody talk about it because it happened to overlap into the start of the next decade? All that "team of the '__s" stuff worked out pretty conveniently for 40 years, but it's pretty inevitable that at some point it won't all fall neatly into 10-year chunks.

4xSBChamps
01-15-2010, 12:46 PM
Video this video that. You still have to play the game on the field. Tha Patriots won 3. Done deal. We had the better team in 01' We blew it. They were better in 05' Rookie QB's never make it for a reason. Ask Flacco last year.

Lets get em' next decade!

:thumbsup:

Dino 6 Rings
01-15-2010, 12:50 PM
I think of all the possible things to write about, this was just a waste of time.

I like how he has to throw in the "steriods" usage of the 70s for the Steelers just to get that cheap shot in.

The Steelers lost much more than Team of the Decade with their Miserable performance this season, they lost a chance to Defend their Title, lost the chance to get to Seventh Heaven, I'd rather have a 7th Ring than any title of "team of the decade"

Oh...and for the Effing Record...The Steelers of the 70s aren't just the Team of the Decade, they are the Greatest Team in the History of the NFL. So set that straight Jackhole!!!!

WWP
01-15-2010, 01:49 PM
You knew they were going to get team of the decade. The media loves them. Just like the Coyboys being referred to as America's team. They are not...the media just loves them and pushes that line as well.

Regardless, I would like to nominate Tom Brady as the most overrated QB of the decade.

WH
01-15-2010, 02:15 PM
Starkey is a tool. He's the next Bob Smiczyck.