PDA

View Full Version : Duce Staley's Father Passes

Prosdo
02-01-2006, 07:55 AM
Steelers Super Bowl Notebook: Staley takes time off to attend father's funeral
Wednesday, February 01, 2006

DETROIT -- Cancer helped halfback Duce Staley recently get to know the father he rarely saw while growing up, and now it has claimed Lannie Staley's life one week before his son's first Super Bowl.

Staley will report to the Steelers today to begin preparations for the Super Bowl after taking time off to attend the funeral of his father in South Carolina.

Lannie Staley, 53, died Saturday in Columbia, S.C., where he had been ill with cancer the past year. Staley was given permission to stay home while the team flew to Detroit Monday morning.

"I feel so bad for him," Jerome Bettis said. "He knew this was coming, but you hate to see it happen during Super Bowl week. He's not even going to get to enjoy it."

Bettis and fellow Steelers running backs Willie Parker and Verron Haynes called to comfort Staley.

"We all got together and called him and tried to just show that we are here for him, and we feel for him," Haynes said. "He's supposed to be here [today] and we'll embrace him because he's a family member."

Staley and his estranged father were brought together by the illness last year. It took Lannie Staley's terminal cancer to bring father and son together after two decades of separation brought on by divorce.

"I'm just thankful to be in a situation where I can communicate with him," Staley said in May.

Staley had rarely seen his father before he was informed in the fall of 2004 that Lannie Staley had lung and stomach cancer. The younger Staley paid him visits and they would play poker and talk.

"It was special because I finally got a chance to sit down and talk to him face to face," said Staley last spring. "That's what made the relationship special."

Link: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06032/647543.stm

My thoughts and prayers go out to Duce and his family.

83-Steelers-43
02-01-2006, 07:58 AM
RIP Mr. Staley.

Thoughts and prayers go out to the whole Staley family and friends.

HburgXL06
02-01-2006, 08:37 AM
Even with the tragic end to the story it is comfortin to know that for even a short while it brought a father and son together. Rest In Peace Mr. Staley and give God a Steelers jersey for us. I will send out a prayer of comfort for the Staleys.

BuFu

drizze99
02-01-2006, 09:52 AM
RIP - Mr. Staley

My thoughts and prayers go out to the Staley family in this time grievance.

melroseplace
02-01-2006, 09:58 AM
poor Duce...I will keep him along with his family and friends in my prayers

Koopa
02-01-2006, 01:03 PM
damn that sucks, poor duce, now we got another reason to win the superbowl.......RIP mr. staley

Infamix
02-01-2006, 01:06 PM
damn....R.I.P

syde18T
02-01-2006, 01:23 PM
That is just terrible news. I miss Duce Staley and his days with us. I have so much respect for what he brought to our running game, and was a bit upset when he left us. But I'm happy that he has a chance to get his first SB ring. RIP and my prayers go out to him and his loved ones.

BenPFJ1958
02-01-2006, 01:26 PM
So glad that he got back with his father before he passed. That is way more important than football !

Our heartfelt prayers go out to the Staley family

blackngoldbaby
02-01-2006, 01:33 PM
I WILL SURELY KEEP DUCE AND HIS FAMILY IN MY PRAYERS :yep: HE MEANS SO MUCH 2 THIS TEAM SOOO LOTS OF LOVE 2 DUCE STALEY!!!!

klick81
02-01-2006, 01:43 PM
Oh wow...RIP.

clevestinks
02-01-2006, 02:15 PM
Sorry to hear the bad news! R.I.P. I wonder why the death was Saturday, and just found out?

seahawksfan
02-01-2006, 02:47 PM
This is a really tough break for Duce and his family. My prayers and thoughts are with Duce, his family and the Steeler family.