PDA

View Full Version : Steelers president wants coaches to get younger players ready more quickly

7willBheaven
01-17-2010, 02:07 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10017/1028890-66.stm

Sunday, January 17, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Peter Diana/Post-Gazette
Rooney: Speed up the development

Rebuilding is not in the Steelers' vocabulary for 2010. They prefer the word revitalize. As Mike Tomlin reshapes his coaching staff for the first time after three seasons as head coach, the team's president looks to younger players to help keep the Steelers in contention.

And he would like to see the coaching staff develop those players more quickly than they have been.

Art Rooney II said while he is happy with how the Steelers have acquired talent through the draft the past five-plus years, he'd prefer to see those players contribute more.

"I do think that one of the things we have to do is probably get better at developing our younger players," Rooney told the Post-Gazette. "That's something we have to think about and make sure we're doing what we need to do to have guys being able to step in maybe a little earlier. And over the next year or two, there's no question we have some age on the defense and there's going to be some turnover.

"We'll see in the next year or two how some of these draft choices play out, but we think we have some good young guys on this roster who can step up and make a difference."

No draft pick has become a regular starter as a rookie since tight end Heath Miller in 2005. It took 2007 first-round pick Lawrence Timmons into his third season before he started at linebacker. Rookie wide receiver Mike Wallace became a productive No. 3 receiver this season and undrafted rookie Ramon Foster started four games at guard.
Key dates

Feb. 24: NFL scouting combine, Indianapolis.

March 5: Free-agency period begins throughout the NFL.

April 22: Day 1 of three-day NFL draft, New York.

But the list of young players languishing on the bench are many, including two third-round picks this past season, guard Kraig Urbik and cornerback Keenan Lewis.

Of the four top draft choices in 2008, only halfback Rashard Mendenhall contributed over the past two seasons. Second-round pick Limas Sweed played little at wide receiver, third-rounder Bruce Davis was released after one season and fourth-rounder Tony Hills spent the past two seasons mostly inactive for games.

As the Steelers defense ages, it becomes more important to develop young players to take over.

"We have some things we have to address," Rooney said. "I think No. 1, we have to get some of our younger players ready to go, and I think we have some young players who can step in and be contributors. I think we're all comfortable that there are some guys on the team now who can step in and make a difference next year."

Count Rooney among those who thought the extended losses to injuries in 2009 of safety Troy Polamalu and defensive end Aaron Smith made a difference.

"Certainly keeping certain guys healthy for most of the season would go a long way. In terms of Troy, you never want to put it all on one guy, the absence of one guy, because you have to be able to overcome injuries. But losing one of your best players is a tough blow for any team, combined with Aaron Smith. Keeping guys healthy is certainly something you hope happens.

"Beyond that, we have to have a good draft. For us, that's a key piece to the puzzle. We'll be drafting a little higher than we have been this year and so we have to do a good job with the draft and have some guys come in who will help in the near future, not right away but in the near future."

Rooney addressed several other topics:

Kevin Colbert, the director of football operations, has one year left on his contract and often is rumored to be joining Bill Cowher if he takes another coaching job. Omar Khan, the team's lead negotiator and salary cap monitor, is one of two finalists for the general manager's job with the Seattle Seahawks.
PDF
NFL Draft Order

"No. 1, as far as I know, Bill's not pursuing a job. We'd love to keep our people. We have good people, we'd like to keep them. By the same token, when you have good people, they're going to have opportunities once in a while. We'll deal with it if changes come. You just have to be prepared to adjust if something like that happens."

Mike Tomlin has two years left on his contract. Traditionally, the Steelers negotiate an extension with their coach heading into that period.

"I don't like to speculate on what we're going to do with the coach, but let's just say we certainly hope and believe Mike's going to be here for the long term and we'll deal with contract situations as they come up. But we're very happy with Mike, and I think he's here for the long run."

On why he believed his Super Bowl champs, at 6-2, went into a tailspin in five consecutive losses that began at home to Cincinnati and included setbacks to heavy underdogs Kansas City, Oakland and Cleveland:

"Somewhere in the middle of that season I think we lost sight of the goal a little bit. We lost sight of the opportunity we had to do something special.

"You know, it's a long season, and I kind of look at the Cincinnati game and the Kansas City game as sort of two key games. I think our guys were really, let's say, disappointed coming off that Cincinnati game. Getting swept by Cincinnati is not something we're used to having happen. And I think there was a little carryover from that game to the next game and you can't afford to do that. You can't afford to go into a game against any opponent and take them lightly or worry about the last game. You have to be prepared every week in this league or somebody's going to jump up and get you.

"I think those two games started a little bit of a snowball that was hard to reverse. Thank God we did get it reversed because it would have been awful tough to lose the rest of them. But that was a tough stretch.

"I think we just have to be prepared to make adjustments and address things that we did not quite get right and I think we're doing that."

--------------------------------------------

Again another good point by Art...need to see these young guys come in and contribute more and sooner than in the past. Sometimes its a coaching thing the others its could be the players...but something needs to happen with some people.

Steelman16
01-17-2010, 03:55 AM
I don't seem to recall the upper echelon of the Pittsburgh organization being as vocal about changes than they've been somewhat recently. Both good and bad I guess. Hopefully it steers Tomlin in the right direction. Basically, "look, you won a super bowl, but we aint sittin on our laurels, get with it."

I think it's harder for rookies to crack starting time on a team such as ours, but Rooney does have a point. Tomlin majored on his whole "starters-in-waiting" philosophy, but where did that leave Sweed for example? Bruce Davis?

Tomlin is still a young coach and he can't let early success define him. I think we saw a little of that this past season. I think now this is completely Tomlin's team, and where it goes and doesn't go is on him.

Galax Steeler
01-17-2010, 07:33 AM
I agree with what alot of the article said but it is hard sometime for a rookie to come in and crack the starting lineup. Wallace earned the 3rd receiver slot and has done well with it .Sweed had a chance to take off but couldn't do it alot of this has to do with the player and the position he plays if he is going to start.

harts
01-17-2010, 07:48 AM
Rooney II needs to do what the other Rooney's did
and shut his pie hole....

Looks like he wants to be in the spotlight and feel important...We need his father back here

He talks too much.... he owns a football team... I know he can say what he wants....
he should have joined his other brothers and focused on the horses

How you even speak on Mike Tomlin like that publicly
I think Coach knows what he needs...

ART II starting to act like a baby Jerry Jones

WH
01-17-2010, 08:02 AM

That's pretty off base. What has Rooney II done other than talk? Nothing.

eavesjr
01-17-2010, 08:16 AM
I don't seem to recall the upper echelon of the Pittsburgh organization being as vocal about changes than they've been somewhat recently. Both good and bad I guess. Hopefully it steers Tomlin in the right direction. Basically, "look, you won a super bowl, but we aint sittin on our laurels, get with it."

I think it's harder for rookies to crack starting time on a team such as ours, but Rooney does have a point. Tomlin majored on his whole "starters-in-waiting" philosophy, but where did that leave Sweed for example? Bruce Davis?

Tomlin is still a young coach and he can't let early success define him. I think we saw a little of that this past season. I think now this is completely Tomlin's team, and where it goes and doesn't go is on him.

I was thinking the exact same thing. To say nothing of the fact that I agree with Rooney...

I live near DC and preach all the time about how the Rooney's wouldn't be caught in a million years making "suggestions" to the coaching staff - at least not in public. Not sure how I feel about it.

HometownGal
01-17-2010, 08:21 AM

Looks like he wants to be in the spotlight and feel important...We need his father back here

He talks too much.... he owns a football team... I know he can say what he wants....

I don't think there is anything wrong with Art II making suggestions on how to improve this football team - he is the team's President.

I also don't believe that anything he said with regard to Tomlin was off base - he said the Steelers are very happy with him and that he "is here for the long run", which hints at a contract extension coming.

It was Dan Rooney's brothers who were involved in the horse racing, not Art II's. :banging:

Texasteel
01-17-2010, 08:36 AM
That's pretty off base. What has Rooney II done other than talk? Nothing.

The guy does not know what he is talking about. Rooney does not appear on TV over and over again talking about that the team needs and what the needs to happen. He does not, try to overshodow his coach and if fact the team itself at time. I have never seen him run from his box to the sideline when ever something happens that he doesn't like. As far as I know Rooney has not told an incoming coach that this is your staff, like it or not.

WH
01-17-2010, 08:40 AM
The guy does not know what he is talking about. Rooney does not appear on TV over and over again talking about that the team needs and what the needs to happen. He does not, try to overshodow his coach and if fact the team itself at time. I have never seen him run from his box to the sideline when ever something happens that he doesn't like. As far as I know Rooney has not told an incoming coach that this is your staff, like it or not.

Exactly. When he takes Colberts job and starts talking to the media during the season more than the coach does...than we can start to worry.

stillers4me
01-17-2010, 08:49 AM
I would never question Art or Dan's opinion........they actually know a thing or two (or three) about football. The two of them have done nothing but run a successful football franchise their entire lives. Until Dan went off to Ireland, it has been their only job.

Now when JLo starts giving advice to the Dolphins, the league will have something to worry about.

zulater
01-17-2010, 08:57 AM
I would never question Art or Dan's opinion........they actually know a thing or two (or three) about football. The two of them have done nothing but run a successful football franchise their entire lives. Until Dan went off to Ireland, it has been their only job.

Now when JLo starts giving advice to the Dolphins, the league will have something to worry about.

Granted. But it does seem as though Art is casting a much larger shadow these days with Dan mostly out of the picture. Whether that's good or bad I can't tell you? I think it's yet to be determined exactly what sort of CEO Art is.

HometownGal
01-17-2010, 09:13 AM
Until Dan went off to Ireland, it has been their only job.

Art II practiced as an attorney for a lot of years with the law firm of Klett, Lieber, Rooney & Schorling and is still a partner with the firm of Buchanan, Ingersoll & Rooney here (the two above named firms merged) in the Burgh. During my career as a paralegal, I was on the other side of Art II's clients several times and though I found him to be a bit snotty sometimes, he was simply brilliant (and at times, ruthless. :chuckle:) He pulls NO punches.

xbroughneck
01-17-2010, 11:08 AM
As someone who wants to find out if Keenan Lewis is good enough to start, I'm glad Art feels he should have gotten more playing time.

I don't see how Keenan could have been worse than William Gay at corner..except for his lack of experience, which Gay got the year before.

If we knew what we had in Lewis, which we don't, we would go ahead and focus on replacing Ryan Clark and Tyrone Carter at the safety spot.

Because we DON'T know what we have in Lewis, we may pick a corner with our first pick, instead of a safety. That's fine if we plan on using Keenan at safety eventually, but if he's just a nickel corner I'd like for us to know it because he had a ton of playing time.

groundhogday
01-17-2010, 12:11 PM
I'm glad Art II is speaking up. It's been a frustrating year for the fans and it sounds like ownership too. The thing to remember is a lot of fans are always talking about how we need to open up the offense, jump into FA, etc. The reality is team has been owned by 1 family who have certain core fundementals they want to see with their team and that foundation will always need to apppear.
1. Defense, Defense, Defense!
2. Run the ball effectively
3. Build team through the draft
4. Don't over spend.
5. Try to build a team to compete for the SB every year.

This year, the first 2 foundation pieces went out the window. Art II (and I'm sure Dan) wants those back. It sounds like the injury bug hurt number 1 but the concern with the draft picks is also something he is vocal about for #3. #2 was another much talked about article. He's also said despite no cap, they will not over spend. Cleary number 5 is the reason he is out speaking as the season flopped by comparison of where ownership thought they would be.

Again, for those fans which believe the Steeler will evolve into a Colts/Saints style offense long term, it's not going to happen even if the league continues to move in that direction. Ownership doesn't believe that to be a foundation piece. The want to see what they call "Steeler Ball"...tough, hard nosed football on both sides of the ball. Frankly, so do I.

zulater
01-17-2010, 12:49 PM
I'm glad Art II is speaking up. It's been a frustrating year for the fans and it sounds like ownership too.

Personally I'm just a little nervous about it. He's certainly following a different script than his father, and his grandfather before that.
But then again trying to be something you're not is never a good thing either. I find it interesting that he's set himself slightly apart form the traditional Rooney way. And in the end I'm sure he wont ever stray that far off the old tried and true path. But all the same it is a slightly different direction and I'm curious and a bit nervous all the same? :noidea:

The thing to remember is a lot of fans are always talking about how we need to open up the offense, jump into FA, etc. The reality is team has been owned by 1 family who have certain core fundementals they want to see with their team and that foundation will always need to apppear.
1. Defense, Defense, Defense!
2. Run the ball effectively
3. Build team through the draft
4. Don't over spend.
5. Try to build a team to compete for the SB every year.

This year, the first 2 foundation pieces went out the window. Art II (and I'm sure Dan) wants those back. It sounds like the injury bug hurt number 1 but the concern with the draft picks is also something he is vocal about for #3. #2 was another much talked about article. He's also said despite no cap, they will not over spend. Cleary number 5 is the reason he is out speaking as the season flopped by comparison of where ownership thought they would be.

Again, for those fans which believe the Steeler will evolve into a Colts/Saints style offense long term, it's not going to happen even if the league continues to move in that direction. Ownership doesn't believe that to be a foundation piece. The want to see what they call "Steeler Ball"...tough, hard nosed football on both sides of the ball. Frankly, so do I.

I'm all for evolving, as long as the core values remains intact. So basically we're in agreeement. :thmbup:

Psyychoward86
01-17-2010, 01:08 PM
um, he isnt exactly being Hitler to our franchise. What he's doing is just fine.

harts
01-17-2010, 01:12 PM
why does he have to say it publicly
Is this something that needs to be said in public?
I am sure the past Rooney's had opinions about the team but did they make their comments public like he did?

If they did then excuse me..

Stuff like this just undermines the power of the coach....
I just think it is ridiculous that people question Tomlin after what he has done....even the owner

zulater
01-17-2010, 01:38 PM
um, he isnt exactly being Hitler to our franchise. What he's doing is just fine.

WTF dude!? Where does "Hitler" come from here? Jeez man (or woman) that's just not a name you should ever drop into a conversation lightly.:doh:

7willBheaven
01-17-2010, 02:15 PM
One thing everyone who is complaining/etc about Rooney saying things and all need to consider something. This may not be something new...it just maybe we havent heard anything or much about it in the past....there coulda been many times they wanted Cowher or Noll to change things or do things this way or that way. Be it the ownership never said things to the media...or the annoying media has been digging even further and such in hopes to start crap or whatever....usually its the Media digging for things to publish this time of year when the off season starts earlier than we all hoped.

Fire Haley
01-18-2010, 05:36 AM
I have a better plan than waiting around for the "young guys"

It's time to dig in those pockets and buy us a championship for next season then. Spend spend spend - like you've never done before.

The top 8 teams will be constrained by the new uncapped FA rules so get a jump on them and Do it!
I want the Steelers mentioned in every high-priced FA available - no matter what they cost.

A billion dollar franchise should be able to open up that crusty pocketbook and unroll that bankroll and spend an extra $100M in an uncapped year, this is the time to do it. I want at least 4 blue chip FA's brought in on the OL and secondary.

Since there won't be any football in 2011, I only care about next year.

Steelers>NFL
01-18-2010, 08:33 AM
I agree with Rooney 100%.
Seems the Steelers are one of the few teams that do not throw rookies
into the fire. I say throw them into the fire. Learn on the job while playing.
Game speed is better than practice speed.

supa_fly_steeler
01-18-2010, 08:41 AM

oh shut the pie up, who are u to question Mr Rooneys thoughts.

You should of been doing what your ancestors were doing and hunting animals in the jungles were nobody would know... or care about you. If you haven't got the intellgence for that im taking about the cavemen. But your anchestors got booed out of the caves because you thought the president of the pack was mouthy at how much rations each people should have.

Your already acting like Cry Baby Jerry Jones, maybe u wanna support the Washington Redskins where there owner never talks

X-Terminator
01-18-2010, 08:42 AM
I agree with Rooney 100%.
Seems the Steelers are one of the few teams that do not throw rookies
into the fire. I say throw them into the fire. Learn on the job while playing.
Game speed is better than practice speed.

Well if they decide to do that, then the fans had better be prepared for some growing pains while they learn on the job, because they are going to make mistakes, some of them very costly. And as we've seen over time, there isn't much patience within The Nation. Personally, I agree with Art II - if you really want to see what you have in these kids, then let them play in real game conditions.

markymarc
01-19-2010, 03:16 PM
I actually applaud Art Rooney II for making comments like this. I don't care if it's done in private or public they need to be said. He actually makes a very good point in what do you have outside of Mike Wallace in the younger players. We still aren't sure if Joe Burnett or Keenan Lewis can handle the starting CB spot if needed.

We don't know if Ryan Mundy can back up Ryan Clark or Troy Polamalu if needed. I would also like to see the Rooneys and FO do a little more in free agency this off season. I understand that it isn't normal policy for them to bring in a lot of FAs, but to me I don't think you can address all of the team needs in the 2010 draft.

Plus how about Art saying how crucial their draft is this off season. Hopefully Kevin Colbert and Mike Tomlin can hit on all of their draft picks. It's time to get this defense young again.

steeltheone
01-19-2010, 03:35 PM
I dont know so much about the later picks. But a number one like Hood should be starting this year no matter what.

WH
01-19-2010, 06:48 PM
I dont know so much about the later picks. But a number one like Hood should be starting this year no matter what.
1st round picks should be starting mid rookie season- beginning of second season at the latest.

tony hipchest
01-19-2010, 07:09 PM
1st round picks should be starting mid rookie season- beginning of second season at the latest.that would make sense if we drafted for need. but we draft for depth and tend to sign our own free agents, therefore we dont have a rotating door and spots for rookies to start in. it sounds as much as a FO philosophy as a coaching issue. he may need to tell colbert to start drafting for need.

however the boss has every right to question why hood isnt getting more playing time when smith is out. why foster is starting over urbick, what the hell went wrong with sweed, and lewis/burnett being about as effective as corey ivy.

:helmet:

MasterOfPuppets
01-19-2010, 07:17 PM
I dont know so much about the later picks. But a number one like Hood should be starting this year no matter what. really ? so had aaron smith not gone down with an injury you think hood should have started over smith or keisel ?

tony hipchest
01-19-2010, 10:45 PM
i think what art rooney II is saying is that he has the need for SWEEEEEEEEED!!!!! :tt02:

Psyychoward86
01-19-2010, 10:59 PM
1st round picks should be starting mid rookie season- beginning of second season at the latest.

These are both blatantly foolish statements

OneForTheToe
01-20-2010, 12:16 AM

I don't see how anything Art II did was anywhere near over the line. Maybe his style is different (more blunt) than his fathers, but I can remember Dan making similar comments at the end of disappointing seasons. When we went 8 -8 in Cowher's final season, I remember a Dan making a comment about the performance of the team being unacceptable.

As for The Chief, God rest his soul, he would not have made such a comment in all liklihood. Why? Because in all honestly he loved his Steelers whether they won or lost equally. The Chief obviously wanted to win, but given the Steelers history up until the 70's, The Chief wasn't obsessed with winning. An interview with a new perspective coach would likely have went something like this: So, you coached at ********** University? Then you coached under ********? Do you like horse racing?

WH
01-20-2010, 03:37 AM
These are both blatantly foolish statements and the reason you think this is................................................ ...............

RoethlisBURGHer
01-20-2010, 07:32 AM
While I agree with a lot of the article, the front office needs to get better players on the team.

This Steelers team lacks depth and has some age issues.

Our offensive line isn't that good. It doesn't help that there isn't much depth there when/if someone gets hurt.

Our defensive line is very good, but much of the depth is old.

Look at what happened to our secondary when we lost Polamalu. I know there isn't any replacing him because he does things no other safety in the NFL can do, but we didn't even have a fundamentally strong backup for him. Ike Taylor had a down year, but I think he will rebound in 2010. Gay looked horrible. He could play better this season but I hope the two CB's we drafted last year will be ready for an more expanded role of Gay doesn't improve.

If we lose Ben Roethlisberger, it's tough. It's always tough if you lose your starting QB at any time. But Charlie Batch is more fragile than the finest piece of China, therefore unreliable and shouldn't be on the team in 2010. Dixon showed a lot in his start against Baltimore, but he also lost the game with a costly mistake. While I think with Dixon in there we can win, we'd need to play like the 2004 Steelers: run, run, run, run the ball and limit the chances Dixon has to make mistakes.

With the wide receivers, once we get past Wallace as the #3 receiver, it's a crapshoot on if the guy is going to catch the ball. Sweed will likely make some type of bumbling Braylon Edwards type of drop. I am not even sure who's on the depth chart after Sweed.

As for our running backs, I like the depth there. Mendenhall is the starter, no question. I think Willie Parker will come back (if the Steelers offer him) because he knows he isn't getting another big money contract, and is a perfect change of pace back for Mendenhall. Moore is a good third down back, he's got great hands and isn't a bad blocker.

But overall, the only way to get younger players ready more quickly is to provide the coaches with talent. When you don't have major needs at a position, you should be taking the best player available no matter the round. That's how you build depth.

MACH1
01-20-2010, 10:45 AM
and the reason you think this is................................................ ...............

Which starter would you relegate to the bench over a rookie?

zulater
01-20-2010, 11:47 AM
Which starter would you relegate to the bench over a rookie?

After Aaron went down it wouldn't have bothered me if they gave Ziggy more of the snaps sooner in his place. :noidea:

steeltheone
01-20-2010, 03:14 PM
This is why we are in the position we are in. Signing and playing 30 something players. Hood should start no matter what. It's his 2nd year. It will pay off in spades later.

The Duke
01-20-2010, 04:07 PM
This is why we are in the position we are in. Signing and playing 30 something players. Hood should start no matter what. It's his 2nd year. It will pay off in spades later.

And what position is that? A year removed from a super bowl

No matter what? even if the two players ahead of him are better and have a better chance of helping win a super bowl?

ok dude....

steeltheone
01-20-2010, 06:15 PM
And what position is that? A year removed from a super bowl

No matter what? even if the two players ahead of him are better and have a better chance of helping win a super bowl?

ok dude....

The Defense is old and slow. Smith (33), Casey Hampton (32) and Keisel (31) -- are in their 30s, as are Farrior (34), Harrison (31) and safety Tyrone Carter (33). Safety Ryan Clark will be 30 on Oct. 12.

Hood was a first round pick. He is fast, strong and will be with us for years to come. Starting him now, it should be a given. We owe Smith 6 mill for this year and resigned keisel for 2 or 3 years. Hampton will leave or brake our bank because we have no replacement. We need to replace a slow middle linebaker past his best years and have woodley and timmons creeping up on contracts. We have alot of issues to address because of signing 30 somethings. This is something we never did in the past.

Psyychoward86
01-20-2010, 07:00 PM
and the reason you think this is................................................ ...............

are we seriously going to discuss this....

2 years in the NFL is NOT always enough time for a player to be starting. As a 1st round pick, well duh, your expecting plenty of productivity out of that player, but why would you throw him out to the lions when he isnt even ready and there's better players in front of him? Ziggy showed some flashes of brilliance his rookie season, but he's far from playing at the level that Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel do.

steeltheone
01-20-2010, 07:21 PM
I'm expecting a first round pick to be on the field his second year a reach? i think not. Smith and kiesel are on the downsides of their careers. We cannot afford to keep a bunch of guys like this around with inflated contracts and keep competitive. It's just part of todays game. One that we have been good at until now.

Psyychoward86
01-20-2010, 07:25 PM
I'm expecting a first round pick to be on the field his second year a reach? i think not. Smith and kiesel are on the downsides of their careers. We cannot afford to keep a bunch of guys like this around with inflated contracts and keep competitive. It's just part of todays game. One that we have been good at until now.

No, it's not a reach at all. Unless you have possibly the best 3-4 Defensive-end duo in football. Aaron was playing right about at his typical level (who is one of the best, if not the best at his position) until he got hurt. Wtf, Brett Keisel just had arguably his best year, are you serious? Yeah they're old, but they're darn good too. A hell of a lot better than Ziggy is right now.

tony hipchest
01-20-2010, 07:45 PM
are we seriously going to discuss this....

. im gonna have to side with the FO and art rooney II on this one. being that he saw this topic serious enough to be discussed with the media, im thinking its a worthy topic of discussion on this board.

or did i miss a memo where the boss' opinion and influence no longer matters?

MasterOfPuppets
01-20-2010, 07:54 PM
yeah i believe the steelers bought into your philosophy once before. they kept hines ward on the sidelines while a bum like troy edwards stunk it up on the field because he was a 1st rd pick...:doh: that sure paid off didn't it ?

tony hipchest
01-20-2010, 08:02 PM
yeah i believe the steelers bought into your philosophy once before. they kept hines ward on the sidelines while a bum like troy edwards stunk it up on the field because he was a 1st rd pick...:doh: that sure paid off didn't it ?excellent point. and that 30+ year old was recently given an extension to ensure he would retire a steeler, and was one of our two 1000 yd receivers to go along with our 4000+ yd qb.

so the boss may be thinking why did we even bother drafting sweed? he was taken because everything talentwise said he was the BPA at the time (just like with rashard mendenhall). which also begs the question, why wasnt rashard on details when he was benched for a game, but seemed to quickly get on them right after?

we may be re-evaluating our draft strategy going into april and draft for need (it seemed to work well when we took ben and miller, and traded up to get troy and holmes. sure as hell woulda worked if we traded up to get revis.

the BPA may not infact be the BPA for the steelers if they have to sit around for 2-3 years. :noidea:

MasterOfPuppets
01-20-2010, 08:15 PM
excellent point. and that 30+ year old was recently given an extension to ensure he would retire a steeler, and was one of our two 1000 yd receivers to go along with our 4000+ yd qb.

so the boss may be thinking why did we even bother drafting sweed? he was taken because everything talentwise said he was the BPA at the time (just like with rashard mendenhall). which also begs the question, why wasnt rashard on details when he was benched for a game, but seemed to quickly get on them right after?

we may be re-evaluating our draft strategy going into april and draft for need (it seemed to work well when we took ben and miller, and traded up to get troy and holmes. sure as hell woulda worked if we traded up to get revis.

the BPA may not infact be the BPA for the steelers if they have to sit around for 2-3 years. :noidea:
well if i remember correctly, burress wasn't exactly spectacular his rookie season, but he still got the start over a more polished ward.
the drafting the BPA available is fine as long as you don't have a bunch of immediate needs or very soon to be needs. if you can't fill a need at your drafting position, then the best bet is to either trade up a few spots or trade down instead of just drafting depth.

tony hipchest
01-20-2010, 08:28 PM
i forget if it was 01 (i think 04) but even then they were trying to force ward into the slot. he resisted and had one of his best seasons to that date. that chip on his shoulder has served (and will continue to serve0 him well.

MasterOfPuppets
01-20-2010, 08:34 PM
i forget if it was 01 (i think 04) but even then they were trying to force ward into the slot. he resisted and had one of his best seasons to that date. that chip on his shoulder has served (and will continue to serve0 him well. oh i remeber ward saying before how it pissed him off that they kept trying to overlook him and not give him a chance despite proving himself when he did get on the field.

Ward, though, apparently still harbors resentment over what he perceived were the team's attempts to push him aside in favor of Edwards and Burress. Sports Illustrated quotes him this week as saying he has never had a warm relationship with coach Bill Cowher.

"I don't have anything to say to him," he told the magazine. "After what he did to me, after how he treated me, no. The numbers I put up? The seasons I had, for them to keep on bringing in guys ...?"

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06131/689171-66.stm#ixzz0dCtKmMxu

steeltheone
01-20-2010, 09:42 PM
A team with an old defense that does not make playoffs needs to get younger period. Name a team in any sport that misses the playoffs and resigns all it's aging stars. Using Hines as an example is not fair. He still very productive and a hall off famer. We have let go of Joey Porter, Levon Kirkland, Clark Haggans, Earl Holmes, Carnell Lake, Greg Lloyd,Jason Gildon, Kimo Each was productive but on the verge of the 30's slide. Not every 30's player fits the bill. Harrison has very little mileage.

madtowndrunkard
01-20-2010, 10:42 PM
I was thinking the exact same thing. To say nothing of the fact that I agree with Rooney...

I live near DC and preach all the time about how the Rooney's wouldn't be caught in a million years making "suggestions" to the coaching staff - at least not in public. Not sure how I feel about it.

It's been a million years since the Rooneys had to remind a coach how to play steeler football. This season was clearly one of the worst coaching jobs in Pittsburgh in decades. Mr Rooney has clearly taken notice. I think its a message to the staff they should take notice.

SH-Rock
01-20-2010, 10:44 PM
I agree with Mr. Rooney. Get some young guys in there and get things done especially with the secondary. If the Steelers can get rookies like Wallace and Hood then they'll be good.

Psyychoward86
01-20-2010, 11:10 PM
Harrison has very little mileage.

not necessarily true. He probably has more mileage than almost any linebacker at his age. Harrison has been around for a while, but he's only been a starter for 3 years.

WH
01-21-2010, 04:23 AM
not necessarily true. He probably has more mileage than almost any linebacker at his age. Harrison has been around for a while, but he's only been a starter for 3 years.

You disagreed and then backed up the point you're disagreeing with.

Keith Bullock
http://www.nfl.com/players/keithbulluck/profile?id=BUL690063

is an example of a player with mileage normally associated with players Keith and James' age.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-21-2010, 06:54 AM
You disagreed and then backed up the point you're disagreeing with.

Keith Bullock
http://www.nfl.com/players/keithbulluck/profile?id=BUL690063

is an example of a player with mileage normally associated with players Keith and James' age.

You have to remember that Harrison made and stayed on this team not because he was a quality backup to Joey Porter and Clark Haggans, but because he was an excellent special teams player. And his special teams days came in the days of the wedge. Special teams players take a beating without always making the big play.

Also getting older is getting older, no matter how much or how little you've started. Your body starts to take longer to recover. You become more fragile. That's the way life works.

steeltheone
01-21-2010, 10:00 AM
You have to remember that Harrison made and stayed on this team not because he was a quality backup to Joey Porter and Clark Haggans, but because he was an excellent special teams player. And his special teams days came in the days of the wedge. Special teams players take a beating without always making the big play.

Also getting older is getting older, no matter how much or how little you've started. Your body starts to take longer to recover. You become more fragile. That's the way life works.

Very true. People on this board want to keep a bunch of 33 year old players. It's a gamble. you lose more than you win.

WH
01-21-2010, 12:52 PM
I'm not saying that Harrison's age isn't a factor. Saying ''He has more mileage than any linbacker at his age'' is a false statement.:coffee: