PDA

View Full Version : Did Steelers make mistake with Tomlin?

mesaSteeler
01-17-2010, 09:20 AM
Did Steelers make mistake with Tomlin?
http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/localsports/1-17-Steigerwald
This article has been read 218 times.

Did the Steelers let a good one get away? They obviously got a good coach when they decided on Mike Tomlin three years ago this week. Not too many 34-year-old head coaches win Super Bowls in their second year. In fact there's never been a younger NFL head coach with a Super Bowl ring.

But, was he a better choice than Ken Whisenhunt?

Whisenhunt took the job in Arizona when it became obvious that he wasn't going to be hired by the Steelers. That meant he was leaving an organization that has been synonymous with winning for most of the last 35 years and going to a team that had won one post season game in its history and had lost at least 10 games in each of its previous three seasons.

Tomlin inherited a team that was two years removed from winning a Super Bowl. He also inherited Dick Lebeau as his defensive coordinator. How many wins was that worth? Whisenhunt had to put together his own staff in Arizona and the team went from 5-11 in 2006, to 8-8 in 2007, 9-7 and a trip to the Super Bowl in 2008 and 10-6 in 2009 with one win in the playoffs going into this weekend's divisional round.

He came within one or two plays of beating Tomlin in the Super Bowl.

Tomlin put up a 9-7 record this season.

What if he puts up another 9-7 record next season and Whisenhunt has the Cardinals playing in mid-January again? That's a big if, but it would definitely raise legitimate questions about the Steelers decision three years ago.

(rest of the article is not about the Steelers - mesa)

As usual, most of the outrage over college football coaches blowing off their contracts and changing jobs is misplaced.

Lane Kiffin is obviously a snake for leaving Tennessee for USC after only one year, but he wouldn't have gone if someone at USC, including the president of the university, hadn't signed off on the idea of going after him. The NCAA has managed to come up with rules about how many phone calls a coach is allowed to make to a high school kid but it can't come up with a rule about one college going after another college's head coach?

The NCAA could pass a rule tomorrow that says any coach who leaves a school while he is under contract can not coach at any other NCAA school for one year. Coaches leaving their employers and players in the lurch is nothing new and it's not even close to being the biggest problem with college football.

If he media spent half as much time focusing on and worrying about the fact that one third of the teams that went to bowl games this season graduated less than half of their African-American players, as they spend on where coaches are going and how much money they're being paid, colleges everywhere would be much better served.

The fact that the NCAA doesn't allow players whose coach bails on them to transfer and maintain their eligibility, speaks volumes about its concern for the players' well being.

The top recruits agonize over what school to attend, and who their coach is going to be is almost always the decisive factor. If the NCAA really cared about the kids, it would have the decency to allow them to change programs when they've been betrayed by their coach.

But we've all seen enough over the years to know that some of America's finest universities sold their souls a long time ago.

Kiffin is way down on the list of the NCAA's biggest image problems. At least he should be.

n How stupid does Mark McGwire think that baseball fans are? He finally came clean last week and said that he took steroids during his playing days, but, in the same breath, said that he thinks he would have hit just as many homeruns without them.

Maybe steroids make you think that other people's heads are as think as yours, but is there a person in America who buys his line about only using the juice to help him recover from injuries?

McGwire talked about the grueling 162-game season and how he needed help to get through it.

Has this guy ever been to a hockey game?

The Penguins played a hundred games last season. From April to June, when baseball players were spending half their time sitting on a bench spitting sun flower seeds, they were being hit with sticks and smashed into walls.

They're finishing up a road trip right now that included games on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday. And unlike baseball, the games were played in different cities.

Here's what a baseball player's daily schedule is like if he is on the road:

Wake up at noon.

Call room service and see if they're still serving breakfast.

Maybe go to the gym and workout. Maybe take a walk.

At about 3 p.m., take a cab or a limo to the ball park.

Play cards.

Take batting practice.

Infield practice.

Play some more cards.

Play a game during which you spend at least half of your time sitting and 40 percent of your time standing around.

Take a cab or a limo to a nice restaurant or club and stay out until 2 a.m.

Yeah, it had nothing to do with hitting the ball farther. It was all about the grind.

John Steigerwald writes a Sunday column for the Observer-Reporter

stillers4me
01-17-2010, 10:36 AM
I think we would have done just fine with Whiz........and I think we will be fine with Tomlin. From what I gather, Ariens still would have promoted to OC, LeBeau would still be DC. And Troy and Aaron still would have gotten hurt and there ya go.

Really, 3 years is a drop in the bucket in evaluating the legacy of Mike Tomlin. Maybe, just maybe, Whiz may have taken a larger role in the direction the offense was taking, but we will never know that. Whiz took the HC job in 'Zona before the decision was made, and the real choice came down to Tomlin and Grimm. Grimm still doesn't have HC job, so obviously we made the right choice.

MaidenIndiana
01-17-2010, 10:42 AM
While I'm interested to see how Tomlin will react to the adversity the team faced this past season, I still believe he's the right coah. Nothing against Whisenhunt, but if the people running the organization had wanted him to be the Steelers head coach, then he Would have been selected. How good is Arizona going to be next year if as expected Warner retires? And yes Arizona did come within a couple of plays of beating the Steelers, BUT THEY DIDN'T! I belive Tomlin will make the moves that will allow the Steelers to return to the playoffs next year. In 3 regular seasons, Tomlin has a 31-17 record (65% winning percentage). Overall he's 34-18 ( again 65% winning percentage) Pretty impressive if you ask me

4xSBChamps
01-17-2010, 10:53 AM
What if he puts up another 9-7 record next season and Whisenhunt has the Cardinals playing in mid-January again?

Arizona plays in a division that is so-weak that almost any above-average team will win the division, and gain a playoff birth, while 'em Stillers will again play home-n-home with the '09 WC Purple-Browns, the '09 AFCN Champs Bungles, and what will be an improving Cleveland franchise, travel to 23'-below to play the Aints, and host the '09 AFCE Champion Patriots* & '09 WC Jets:
AFCN > NFCW

Tomlin is familiar with the defensive side of the game, a rarity in today's pass-n-tab League, kinda like boxing against a southpaw:
he offers 'something-different', and I think he'll be Ok in the long-run

groundhogday
01-17-2010, 10:57 AM
All I know is we have a SB with Tomlin. That's good enough in my opinion of who we should have chosen. Although I have occassionally watched AZ play, I don't recall many in-game gaffes called by Whiz...going for 2 from the 12, the onside kick, etc. However, if Whiz were coach, there is no guarantee we win the SB.

rich4eagle
01-17-2010, 11:00 AM
I have some concerns about Tomlin. We will see whether those are false concerns soon enough. I like Whiz but after yesterdays debacle, I would stick with Tomlin for now. I do believe he has done more to upgrade ARiz than Tomlin has done to upgrade the Steelers. Of course he started with garbage and Tomlin started with a roster full of solid players.

Next year will tell a lot........about both

xbroughneck
01-17-2010, 11:01 AM
No.

Well, unless it is also true that they made a mistake with Bill Cowher too (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/CowhBi0.htm).

Fluff piece this early in Tomlin's career.

Now, if he goes 6-10 next year, or 7-9, and he has a healthy Polamalu and Aaron Smith all season, yeah, we can start to question.

Let's be honest folks.

80% of winning in this league has to do with the players, and even moreso, the QB.

Look at the QBs still playing.

Rivers
Manning
Brees
Farve
Romo

,,,Sanchez???:noidea:

Give either of those QBs a decent defense and you've got a Super Bowl contending team.

Big Ben and Brady fit in with that group.

Big Ben and Brady aren't playing right now because the defenses played subpar. (in the case of the STeelers, it was also special teams playing subpar)

Belichick wouldn't do squat with Kordell Stewart or Kent Graham as his QB. Neither would Tony Dungy.

Cut Mike some slack.

solardave
01-17-2010, 11:02 AM
It's to soon to tell. Whiz has done a great job in Arizona but Tomlin has here too. Next year will tell us a little more. If we continue with wide open pass first defense and abort the run early when we are averaging 6-8 YPC then I would say we did make a mistake. If he continues to tell us he wants to run and lets BA do whatever he has no control over this team IMHO.

xbroughneck
01-17-2010, 11:06 AM
I have some concerns about Tomlin. We will see whether those are false concerns soon enough. I like Whiz but after yesterdays debacle, I would stick with Tomlin for now. I do believe he has done more to upgrade ARiz than Tomlin has done to upgrade the Steelers. Of course he started with garbage and Tomlin started with a roster full of solid players.

The only concerns with Tomlin right now, IMHO, is whether he can
*improve the special teams play ( we'll have a new coach),
*offensive line play (we have a new coach),
*add youth and speed to the defense (key part of the offseason) and
*improve situation play calling (put a foot in Arians ass...DON'T SCRIPT 20 pass plays OR allow Ben to throw the ball most of the time in zero degree, 30 mph wind situations).

Seems pretty basic to me.

So far this offseason has gone as it should for the STeelers. We need to see what they do in the draft and what free agents they bring in.

X-Terminator
01-17-2010, 11:30 AM

I wouldn't call Boldin, Fitz, James and Dansby "garbage." :noidea: It also helps that they play in the worst division in the NFL.

Anyway, let's see what he does without Warner and maybe Boldin.

zulater
01-17-2010, 11:37 AM
I think they're both very good coaches. Obviously due to the circumstances of the time of their respective hiring's they'll forever be linked, or at least as long as they both remains in their current jobs. I predict some years the pendulum will swing in Tomlin's favor, and others in Whiz's favor. Right now I'd declare them pretty darn even, but a Lombardi trophy sways it ever so slightly in Tomlin's favor.:noidea:

Fire Haley
01-17-2010, 12:01 PM
The Whiz sucks!

Cards fans are screaming for The Whiz's head today - perfect timing

Let Warner call the plays!
Whiz looks like a dope on the sidelines

ha ha!

MACH1
01-17-2010, 12:16 PM
It's a toss up. I think either one would of been a good deal.

I wouldn't call Boldin, Fitz, James and Dansby "garbage." :noidea: It also helps that they play in the worst division in the NFL.

Thats like saying lets see what tomlin can do without ben and maybe santo. :noidea:

Like I said either one would be a good choice.

7SteelGal43
01-17-2010, 12:32 PM
I have to laugh. The author answered his own question within the first two sentences. Mike Tomlin won the SuperBowl in his second year.

Would Whiz have been a good hire ? Most likely, but when the two met head to head in the big one, the one the Steelers went with won.

The Steelers have had only 3 coaches in how many years ? And those coaches came from outside the organization and with a defensive background. Seems the Steelers stuck with that formurla.

I have a feeling Tomlins tenture at Pittsburgh is gonna be as long as Nolls, Cowhers, and probably as successful as Nolls :thumbsup:

Luv Ya Mikey T !!!!!!!!!!!! :tt03:

zulater
01-17-2010, 12:33 PM
The Whiz sucks!

ha ha!

Some are, some aren't. That usually the way it works. There, here pretty much everywhere that fans care too much really. I doubt anyone's fondly recalling the days of Denny Green today. :chuckle:

zulater
01-17-2010, 01:19 PM

Boldin they can live without just fine. I think their record without Bolding the last 2 years is 7-4, which is pretty close to their winning percentage with him.

As for Warner it's still to be determined if he's really going to retire. If they come up with the right sum chances are he might find it in him to go another year.

HometownGal
01-17-2010, 01:26 PM
It also helps that they play in the worst division in the NFL.

Exactly. :thumbsup:

That big dumb oaf Siragusa could field a high school team in that division and probably make a run for the division title. *sarcasm*

In all seriousness, San Fran is coming along nicely under Singletary and I think they are going to give the Cards a run for their money in the NFCW in the coming years.

I respected Whis as an OC and like others who have preceded him in the NFL, some very good coordinators just don't make good HC's (a prime example being our own beloved Dick Lebeau).

MasterOfPuppets
01-17-2010, 01:28 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pRf_A07Elyw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pRf_A07Elyw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

zulater
01-17-2010, 01:32 PM
Exactly. :thumbsup:

That big dumb oaf Siragusa could field a high school team in that division and probably make a run for the division title. *sarcasm*

In all seriousness, San Fran is coming along nicely under Singletary and I think they are going to give the Cards a run for their money in the NFCW in the coming years.

I respected Whis as an OC and like others who have preceded him in the NFL, some very good coordinators just don't make good HC's (a prime example being our own beloved Dick Lebeau).

So are you saying Whiz isn't a very good head coach?

I honestly think both Tomlin and Whiz were excellent hires by their respective orginizations. I think it's readily evident that both are held in high esteem around the league.

I don't see why it's neccessary to diminish one to elevate the other? :noidea:

tony hipchest
01-17-2010, 01:34 PM
absolutely not. i prefer having a defensive head coach.

I think we would have done just fine with Whiz........and I think we will be fine with Tomlin. From what I gather, Ariens still would have promoted to OC, LeBeau would still be DC. And Troy and Aaron still would have gotten hurt and there ya go.

Really, 3 years is a drop in the bucket in evaluating the legacy of Mike Tomlin. Maybe, just maybe, Whiz may have taken a larger role in the direction the offense was taking, but we will never know that. .
agree 1000%

oh, and grimm could very well be the bills next HC.

HometownGal
01-17-2010, 01:36 PM

I honestly think both Tomlin and Whiz were excellent hires by their respective orginizations. I think it's readily evident that both are held in high esteem around the league.

Ughhhh. Nevermind. :rolleyes: I'm sick to death of you following me around here and nitpicking at my every word, so I'm not going to waste my font on you.

4xSBChamps
01-17-2010, 01:38 PM
... grimm could very well be the bills next HC.

a friend, originally from Buffalo, sent me this yesterday

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/924260.html

zulater
01-17-2010, 01:43 PM
Ughhhh. Nevermind. :rolleyes: I'm sick to death of you following me around here and nitpicking at my every word, so I'm not going to waste my font on you.

I've responded to a lot of people on here today. I'm not "nitpicking"

. I highlighted a specific sentence you made on a post where you seemed to imply that Whiz while a good coordinater was not a good head coach. Was I wrong in that assessment? Is that an illogical assumption on my part?

Honestly I'm not try to annoy you. I'm just trying to get a sense of what your feelings are on a topic that we're currently communicating on.

As I said before I think they're both very good coaches and I see no need to diminsih one to elevate the other. Is that inflammatory or ridiculous to say?

fansince'76
01-17-2010, 01:45 PM

And I don't see why it's necessary to follow someone around the board and call out every post they make as being "wrong." :coffee:

zulater
01-17-2010, 01:51 PM
And I don't see why it's necessary to follow someone around the board and call out every post they make as being "wrong." :coffee:

OK let me get this right. In a thread that more or less asks for a comparison of Tomlin and Whiz, where someone more or less says that Whiz is a poor head coach, you're not allowed to ask for clarification? Or does that just apply to me? :hunch:

tony hipchest
01-17-2010, 01:53 PM
a friend, originally from Buffalo, sent me this yesterday

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/924260.html

very interesting. thanks. i just figured the only reason he turned down the interview las week was because he was working on the playoffs. thats cool if he shows some loyalty to whiz and the cardinals and stays.

zulater
01-17-2010, 01:56 PM
very interesting. thanks. i just figured the only reason he turned down the interview las week was because he was working on the playoffs. thats cool if he shows some loyalty to whiz and the cardinals and stays.

No one seems to want the Buffalo job for some reason? :noidea:

sorry if responding to your post is offensive, I'm just trying to join in the conversation.

I'm thinking of making the above my new signature? :hunch:

Texasteel
01-17-2010, 01:58 PM
OK let me get this right. In a thread that more or less asks for a comparison of Tomlin and Whiz, where someone more or less says that Whiz is a poor head coach, you're not allowed to ask for clarification? Or does that just apply to me? :hunch:

I don't know. I've notice before that you alway seem to have something to say against everything she post. I myself am not all that taken with Whiz, but thats just my opinion.

zulater
01-17-2010, 02:03 PM
I don't know. I've notice before that you alway seem to have something to say against everything she post. I myself am not all that taken with Whiz, but thats just my opinion.

I do with you as well Tex, you just don't take it as personally. :chuckle:

Anyway the post in question on this thread, what exactly did I do or say wrong? :noidea:

MasterOfPuppets
01-17-2010, 02:21 PM
No one seems to want the Buffalo job for some reason? :noidea:

sorry if responding to your post is offensive, I'm just trying to join in the conversation.

I'm thinking of making the above my new signature? :hunch:

well its no wonder really.... buffalo needs rebuilt from the ground up and in todays nfl owners expect results now . remember when coaches used to always say they have a 5 year plan ? that 5 years has been cut to 3 max.

steelerdude15
01-17-2010, 02:23 PM
I'm getting sick of this topic of Tomlin being a mistake. This is getting beaten to death. How many coaches do you know, come in and win a super bowl in their second year. Tomlin has had three winning seasons with us and I feel he has proven he's good for Pittsburgh. Starting this year, this is his team now and we'll see what comes. You know Noll and Cowher both had losing years, but we're they let go no. Here's the thing, a football TEAM has more than just ONE person in it. You just can't blame him for everything going bad, there were MANY factors into why the Steelers had the season they did. What everyone FORGETS about is that we did have a five game and another three game winning streak, but everyone focuses on the bad instead of the good. There are things to fix this year, even a team that wins a superbowl has things to fix in the offseason, but Tomlin does not need to leave, he does not need to be fixed, and he certainly wasn't a mistake.:deadhorse:

zulater
01-17-2010, 02:28 PM
well its no wonder really.... buffalo needs rebuilt from the ground up and in todays nfl owners expect results now . remember when coaches used to always say they have a 5 year plan ? that 5 years has been cut to 3 max.

Marty Shottenheimer was made for that job imo. I don't know why they haven't called him?

Cinnjerm
01-17-2010, 03:03 PM
IDK, to me this seems like a patently stupid/erroneous question. Disregarding the fact that (as people have already indicated) three years of a HC's career can hardly prove adequate in assessing their effectiveness, in so doing his track record should illicit confidence in his future production. Consider first that of his first three years he has won the division in two out of the three in addition to a championship. Moreover, he has yet to record a losing season and even in his worst year every game was winnable (IE his team was a contender against every team they played and fully capable of dispatching them). As has been said," Time will reveal all," but from my assessment if for the rest of his tenure as a Steelers coach he delivers a division title two out of every three years and a championship every third year, I must say I would be more than satisfied. :tt02:

ytsan2q
01-17-2010, 03:30 PM
This guy probably thinks it was a mistake that we kept Cohwer for 13 years before he won a Super Bowl..........Hopefully Tomlin will win a few more if he's given that type of time.

Shoes
01-17-2010, 03:45 PM
The Whiz sucks!

ha ha!

Cards fans suck too.....most of them have only been fans for about 6 months in the past two years:chuckle:

HAWK
01-17-2010, 04:00 PM
The track record is clear. Tomlin has made the playoffs only to lose against Jax, the next year won a Super Bowl (which counts for a lot), and then missed the PO's all together.

I don't see the problem. Everyone would like the team to be playing this weekend, but they've done well for themselves despite everything.

If we don't make the PO's for the the next 5 years...then complain.

4xSBChamps
01-17-2010, 04:12 PM
... If we don't make the PO's for the the next 5 years...

the last time 'em Stillers didn't make the playoffs 5 consecutive seasons was 1967-1971, the last 2 seasons of the Bill Austin era, and the first 3 seasons that Chuck Noll was building the team that dominated the '70s:
Noll's longest period of not making the post-season after the initial appearence in 1972 was 4 years, 1985-1988, while Cowher's longest dry-spell was 3 years, 1998-2000

with today's salary-cap/free-agency, parity-based scheduling, and watered-down playoff format, it's almost a crime to go 5 seasons without making at-least a #6 seeding:
fortunately, 'em Stillers have a structured system that keeps them near the top quite-often.

WH
01-17-2010, 04:36 PM
I think they should send the worst team in the NFL down to the AFL and bring up the AFL champion into the NFL every year.

steelerchad
01-17-2010, 04:43 PM
Way too early to tell. 3 years doesn't make a coaching career. But if it did how could you argue with 3 winning seasons, 2 playoff appearances, and a Super Bowl.
Cowher made the playoffs his first 6 years, but his 2nd season got in at 9-7. He went to the Super Bowl in his 4th year, but didn't win one until his 14th year. He had a stretch of 3 straight years he didn't make the playoffs, but he made it 10 of 15 seasons or 2 out of every 3 years.
Tomlin's on a similar pace so far and already has the Super Bowl in his pocket. Most think Cowher will be in the HOF some day, so I'm willing to give Tomlin the benefit of the doubt and the Rooney's will too. I think when it's all said and done we will have only had 3 coaches in over 50 years and all 3 will be in the HOF.

X-Terminator
01-17-2010, 05:17 PM
Thats like saying lets see what tomlin can do without ben and maybe santo. :noidea:

Like I said either one would be a good choice.

The Cards didn't start winning more until he made Warner the full-time starter. They didn't do much with Leinart, and he hasn't shown anything that would tell anyone that he'll be a reliable QB once Warner does hang them up, either this year or next. Even if they lose Boldin, they will still have Fitz and Breaston, sure...but they may have to rely more on running the football, and they haven't shown much ability to do that in any of Whiz's 3 seasons. If he still finds a way to win with them and a swiss-cheese defense, especially if they lose Dansby, then he will definitely prove his mettle.

Don't get me wrong - I like Whiz and think he would have been a good choice as well, but I am very happy with Tomlin. He is a very good coach in his own right, has produced 3 winning seasons and a Super Bowl. I hope he's the coach for the next 15 years.

X-Terminator
01-17-2010, 05:21 PM
Boldin they can live without just fine. I think their record without Bolding the last 2 years is 7-4, which is pretty close to their winning percentage with him.

As for Warner it's still to be determined if he's really going to retire. If they come up with the right sum chances are he might find it in him to go another year.

Yeah, but Warner was still the QB those seasons. I'm not surprised at all that they still won with Boldin out. Matt Leinart, however, is no Kurt Warner, and thus I'm skeptical if they will have the same kind of success offensively with him as the starter.

zulater
01-17-2010, 05:30 PM
Yeah, but Warner was still the QB those seasons. I'm not surprised at all that they still won with Boldin out. Matt Leinart, however, is no Kurt Warner, and thus I'm skeptical if they will have the same kind of success offensively with him as the starter.

The rumor among Eagles fans is that the Cards will trade for Donavan McNabb if Warner retires. The thinking being the Eagles would trade McNabb because they want to see if they can get some return of investment on Kevin Kolb who's coming up on the last year of his contract. From McNabb's perspective that's his offseason home. From the Cards perspective Leinart sucks and they need somebody. Personally I think it's just wishfull thinking on Eagles fans part.

43Hitman
01-17-2010, 05:38 PM
Honestly, I think we were in a win/win situation with Whiz or Tomlin. Both are great coaches and would have/has done great things with their teams.

MACH1
01-17-2010, 05:50 PM
The Cards didn't start winning more until he made Warner the full-time starter. They didn't do much with Leinart, and he hasn't shown anything that would tell anyone that he'll be a reliable QB once Warner does hang them up, either this year or next. Even if they lose Boldin, they will still have Fitz and Breaston, sure...but they may have to rely more on running the football, and they haven't shown much ability to do that in any of Whiz's 3 seasons. If he still finds a way to win with them and a swiss-cheese defense, especially if they lose Dansby, then he will definitely prove his mettle.

Don't get me wrong - I like Whiz and think he would have been a good choice as well, but I am very happy with Tomlin. He is a very good coach in his own right, has produced 3 winning seasons and a Super Bowl. I hope he's the coach for the next 15 years.

We definitely didn't go wrong with hiring Tomlin and I don't think we would have gone wrong with Whiz either. Their both proving to be top notch coaches. Although I think Whiz has had a little more to overcome in AZ. Just by turning the attitude of the franchise around from perennial cellar dwellers to a competitive playoff team. That doesn't make Whiz any better of a better coach, he just had more work to do with changing the team atmosphere and making them winners. Where Tomlin already had that here.

steelerdude15
01-17-2010, 05:59 PM
The rumor among Eagles fans is that the Cards will trade for Donavan McNabb if Warner retires.
Andy Reid has stated that he wants all three QBs back and he wants Donavan to start for the 2010 season.

zulater
01-17-2010, 06:14 PM
Andy Reid has stated that he wants all three QBs back and he wants Donavan to start for the 2010 season.

Like I said,I think it's wishfull thinking by Eagles fans who are fed up with Chokey McNabb. :chuckle:

steelerdude15
01-17-2010, 06:26 PM
zulater, I know what you mean. A lot of Philly fans are fed up with him, but IMO he's the best QB the Eagles have ever had.

zulater
01-17-2010, 06:37 PM
zulater, I know what you mean. A lot of Philly fans are fed up with him, but IMO he's the best QB the Eagles have ever had.

Is that sort of like being the best right guard for the Steelers in the past couple decades? :wink02:

jk, I know what you mean.

steelerdude15
01-17-2010, 07:15 PM
Is that sort of like being the best right guard for the Steelers in the past couple decades?
haha, that was good, I liked that. Vick does want to be a starter though.... so we'll just have to see what is going to happen in training camp.

Fire Haley
01-17-2010, 08:15 PM
Cards fans suck too.....most of them have only been fans for about 6 months in the past two years:chuckle:

Well that's true, but I can't complain, all the teams I wanted out of the playoffs have lost

I'm happy the Bengals lost

I'm happy the Pats lost

I'm happy the Ravens lost

I'm happy the Cards lost

I'm happy the Cowgirls lost

I'm happy the Chargers lost

GodfatherofSoul
01-17-2010, 08:44 PM
The Cardinals got raped on defense 2x in a row so badly they set playoffs records. I'd rather stab my eyes out than have the Steelers managed the way the Whiz does.

JEFF4i
01-17-2010, 08:51 PM
Of course we did! Any coach that coaches a team to 34-18 is absolutely horrid.

SteelerFanInATL
01-17-2010, 09:01 PM
Why are we talking about this? Steeler Football is over for the year and obviously the writers have nothing else to talk about for the moment.:blah::blah::blah::coffee:

MACH1
01-17-2010, 09:45 PM
The Cardinals got raped on defense 2x in a row so badly they set playoffs records. I'd rather stab my eyes out than have the Steelers managed the way the Whiz does.

Really?

9-7 ring any bells.

VegasStlrFan
01-17-2010, 11:32 PM
Any Card's fan that wants Wiz gone should have their head examined.

As for the question Wiz or Tomlin, its to soon to tell. At the time, I would have taken Wiz and I think we would have been happy with the results, based on what he's done in AZ. (Kind of unfair to have this discussion after the game they played today.)

Tomlin tookover this team at an oppurtune time, considering the talent pool. Anything less than a run into January while he has the current talent level on the team will be considered under achieving (injuries or not). Last year was a great coaching job IMO, superbowl aside, what he did with that schedule was incredible. This year's 5 game slide against the leagues bottom feeders, questionable play calling scenarios, and head scratcher in game decisions has raised some questions in my mind.

Next year, I hope Wiz does well w/ or w/o Warner and I hope MT bounces back to what I thought we had in '08.

zulater
01-18-2010, 06:51 AM
Any Card's fan that wants Wiz gone should have their head examined.

As for the question Wiz or Tomlin, its to soon to tell. At the time, I would have taken Wiz and I think we would have been happy with the results, based on what he's done in AZ. (Kind of unfair to have this discussion after the game they played today.)

Tomlin tookover this team at an oppurtune time, considering the talent pool. Anything less than a run into January while he has the current talent level on the team will be considered under achieving (injuries or not). Last year was a great coaching job IMO, superbowl aside, what he did with that schedule was incredible. This year's 5 game slide against the leagues bottom feeders, questionable play calling scenarios, and head scratcher in game decisions has raised some questions in my mind.

Next year, I hope Wiz does well w/ or w/o Warner and I hope MT bounces back to what I thought we had in '08.

:applaudit: Well said.

HometownGal
01-18-2010, 06:57 AM
Really?

9-7 ring any bells.

Better than the 6-10 or 5-11 that we easily could have been.

9-7 isn't the end of the world.

steeltheone
01-18-2010, 08:49 AM
I think Whis should have been the choice but i believe Mike will be fine. I like them both.

Indo
01-18-2010, 10:09 AM
Ummm...(but I digress)

No. The Steelers did not make a mistake.

mikegrimey
01-18-2010, 10:27 AM
This is just a knee jerk question, like a lot of people have pointed out, niether coach has enough of a record to track and say what was right or wrong.

I found it funny that the writer emphasized Pittsburgh's 9-7 record as being such an atroscity, when the Cardinals only finished 10-6 themselves, and finished 9-7 before going to the Superbowl last year.
And not like our division is that tough but the Cards play in the weakest division in the NFL.

It's the offseason for us so some people are bored and will write anything to grab their reader's attention.

MACH1
01-18-2010, 10:30 AM

LOL No it's not.

I was just referring to the getting smacked on D comment.

scsteeler
01-18-2010, 10:43 AM
Many wanted Tomlin gone before the Steelers won the Supebowl and now people are starting to second guess him after a disappointing season of not making the playoffs. If the Steelers had made the playoffs and lost in the first round he would still be criticized for not going back to the SB.

This league has so many teams that are 1 or 2 plays each game from being a winner or loser that you are going to have some good seasons and then you are going to have some bad ones. Tomlin took us to SB and won and now we are wanting the 7th I say enjoy the great seasons and support the Head Coach during the tough years.

A SB run next year and Tomlin will be god to some again.

HAWK
01-18-2010, 10:45 AM
Well said.

steeltheone
01-18-2010, 11:30 AM
How can we judge Whis's success on Warner? That means Tomlin on Ben's. And before we blow our whistle on how tough our division is take a closer look. The Bengles were the winners. So lets say they were the best in our divison. They don't even rank in the top ten in the NFL...Just Sayin...

Dino 6 Rings
01-18-2010, 11:34 AM
so since Wiz was the coach of a team that got their arses SPANKED this weekend, does that mean we still made a mistake not taking Wiz?

Seriously...close the thread, dumb topic now. Wiz isn't a defensive guy and it showed in the Beat Down they got this past weekend.

Anyone else notice the Saints run a flea flicker on first down once they got near the 40 yard line of the Cards and get a touchdown and think..."hey, Wiz used to do that sort of thing"

Prok
01-18-2010, 01:22 PM
Many wanted Tomlin gone before the Steelers won the Supebowl and now people are starting to second guess him after a disappointing season of not making the playoffs. If the Steelers had made the playoffs and lost in the first round he would still be criticized for not going back to the SB.

This league has so many teams that are 1 or 2 plays each game from being a winner or loser that you are going to have some good seasons and then you are going to have some bad ones. Tomlin took us to SB and won and now we are wanting the 7th I say enjoy the great seasons and support the Head Coach during the tough years.

A SB run next year and Tomlin will be god to some again.

Great post. Well put. Tomlin's a keeper, thats all I know.

zulater
01-18-2010, 02:34 PM

They'd throw a parade for 9-7 in Detroit probably. :chuckle:

We're more than just a little bit spoiled as Steelers fans.:hatsoff:

revefsreleets
01-18-2010, 02:43 PM
If you hate Arians 5-wide, why would you like Whiz's goal line 4-wide triple reverses?

The grass is always greener in the past through rose colored revisionist glasses....

Dino 6 Rings
01-18-2010, 04:46 PM
If you hate Arians 5-wide, why would you like Whiz's goal line 4-wide triple reverses?

The grass is always greener in the past through rose colored revisionist glasses....

Totally agree, and you'd really hate Wiz's attitude toward his defense that got its face punched in two straight games in the playoffs.

How many points did they let up in 2 games? 90? Yeah, great job Kenny.

steelerdave1969
01-18-2010, 05:03 PM
Sorry but this story is just stupid... I think Tomlin has done a fine job, but he has won his only super bowl so far pretty much with Cowher's players. 5 years from now we will know if the Steelers made the right decision.

zulater
01-18-2010, 05:03 PM
Totally agree, and you'd really hate Wiz's attitude toward his defense that got its face punched in two straight games in the playoffs.

How many points did they let up in 2 games? 90? Yeah, great job Kenny.

You guys are aware that the Steelers gave up 36 points to the Packers too? Granted the Steelers were a much stronger defensive team in the regular season though. Which that one less point allowed over 16 games would clearly tell you.:wink02:

( Cards gave up 325 points this past season, the Steelers 324.) :toofunny:

HometownGal
01-18-2010, 05:47 PM
They'd throw a parade for 9-7 in Detroit probably. :chuckle:

We're more than just a little bit spoiled as Steelers fans.:hatsoff:

Yeppers - I've been saying that for years. I think that's a lot of the problem with the negative Neds and Nancys around here and Steeler Nation generally.

zulater
01-18-2010, 07:28 PM
Yeppers - I've been saying that for years. I think that's a lot of the problem with the negative Neds and Nancys around here and Steeler Nation generally.

And believe me, I never hesitate to remind my son that after a Steeler loss. :tt02:

steelerdude15
01-18-2010, 08:38 PM
They'd throw a parade for 9-7 in Detroit probably.
hahahahaha

GodfatherofSoul
01-18-2010, 10:22 PM
LOL No it's not.

I was just referring to the getting smacked on D comment.

Even with the Steelers losses, they were right there in almost all the losses and only gave up a lot of points a handful of times. The Cardinals defense got shredded so badly they're now a bullet in the record books. I never want to see the Steelers playing the "no D but we'll outscore you anyway" playbook.

markymarc
01-19-2010, 02:38 PM
I can't believe this topic is still being debated. The Rooneys made the right decision in hiring Mike Tomlin as the head coach. Ken Whisenhunt is doing a nice job in Arizona, but let's not forget that they play in the worse division in the entire NFL.

Last I checked Mike Tomlin brought home the Super Bowl trophy and Whiz didn't.