PDA

View Full Version : Forbes has Steelers Super Bowl teams in middle of pack

mesaSteeler
01-17-2010, 09:22 AM
Forbes has Steelers Super Bowl teams in middle of pack
January 16, 6:26 PMPittsburgh Sports Examiner
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2010m1d16-Forbes-has-Steelers-Super-Bowl-teams-in-middle-of-pack

Matt Pawlikowski

Forbes magazine just came out with its rankings of the top Super Bowl teams of the decade.

Interestingly, Mike Tomlin and the AFC North are on top. Ironically its not the Steelers who won two Lombardi's during that period, but the Buccaneers while Tomlin was an assistant coach and the Baltimore Ravens.

Here's what Forbes writer Monte Burke had to say.

"We used four metrics to rank the Super Bowl-winning teams of the past decade. The first two take into account each teamís regular-season record and its net points (points scored minus points scored against). The last two metrics consider the postseason: the teamís average margin of victory in its playoff games and the margin of victory in the Super Bowl itself. For each metric we ranked the teams from best to worst, then averaged their totals for a final ranking.

Looking at the teams in this manner reveals a few surprises. In a tie for the best Super Bowl team of the decade are the 2000 Baltimore Ravens and the 2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers."

The Steelers took the fourth and fifth slots with 2008 team nailing down the fourth position and the Bill Cowher's 2005 team coming in fifth.

Forbes notes the Steelers defensive unit last season as being a prime reason the 2008 team was better. Last year, Dick LeBeau's boys finished tops in the league.

So who took last? Surprisingly the 2007 New York Giants.

* The List:
* 1t. 2000 Baltimore Ravens
* 1t. 2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
* 3. 2004 New England Patriots
* 4. 2008 Pittsburgh Steelers
* 5. 2005 Pittsburgh Steelers
* 6t. 2006 Indianapolis Colts
* 6t. 2003 New England Patriots
* 8. 2001 New England Patriots
* 9. 2007 New York Giants

pepsyman1
01-17-2010, 11:16 AM
FORBES??? Wouldn't that be like Sports Illustrated printing their ratings of mutual funds? LOL

:chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

SMR
01-17-2010, 12:23 PM
What a fecking joke!
:rofl:

Bubbabanjo
01-17-2010, 02:19 PM
This has to be taken seriously.....look at their dead call on the economy saving us all from unemployment and saving us all trillions of dollars.................oh wait they screwed that up too.

They stink!

supa_fly_steeler
01-17-2010, 02:40 PM
the guy that wrote this stupid shit obviously likes anal.

what a idiot we had a better defense than the 2000 ravens and the 2004 cheatriots cheated their way.

T&B fan
01-17-2010, 06:29 PM
ok let me see if I can get this right .... you add 3 + 14 then use a% of 12 or what ever is = and use that # to wipe you ass with ... I got it now ..

HughC
01-17-2010, 10:21 PM
Dumb list. I don't mind that they're trying to be objective by using stats rather than personal opinions for their rankings, but there are two huge flaws here. First of all, there's way too much emphasis on margin of victory. Secondly, if they're going to use stats then they need to use more then four - and they need to use more varied stats. Point differential in the regular season, point differential in the playoffs, and point differential in the super bowl - isn't that overly simplistic?

Also, I don't know why they say they are surprised that the 2007 Giants ranked last. That was a team that barely made the playoffs, but got hot at the last moment. They'll be forever famous for that win, but they were certainly not a start to finish powerhouse; they were in the right place at the right time.

markymarc
01-19-2010, 02:04 PM
Let me know once Forbes starts covering the NFL. Until then this list is crap!

Indo
01-19-2010, 02:20 PM
**FLUSH**

steve314
01-19-2010, 06:40 PM
Not really interested in the Forbes rankings, but it would be nice for the Steelers to have a blowout win (by 20+ points) in the Super Bowl, just once.

tony hipchest
01-19-2010, 07:51 PM

what a idiot we had a better defense than the 2000 ravens and the 2004 cheatriots cheated their way.
your posts are getting more and more retarded by the hour.

:coffee:

anyways, i dont see no real problem with this "article" (its more of a "who had the most dominant sb game" piece).

the ravens and bucs absolutely destroyed their opposition (much like any team who played the broncos in the 80's).

at first i wondered what set the 04 patriots team above any of their other 3 point victory squeakers and then i remembered they shut down the leagues #1 offense, and abused the leagues #1 defense on the road to get there.

with that being said, the steelers playoff run in 05 was more impressive, but the game itself was mistake filled, and considered to be rather boring.

oh well, we will get em next year.

43Hitman
01-19-2010, 08:00 PM

What the hell is wrong with you man, errr kid? It's either F-bombs or some juvenile homosexual innuendo from you. Grow up and expand your vocabulary before posting mmmmkay. :coffee:

markymarc
01-22-2010, 12:07 PM
Not really interested in the Forbes rankings, but it would be nice for the Steelers to have a blowout win (by 20+ points) in the Super Bowl, just once.

Blowing opponents out is not the Steelers style :chuckle: