PDA

View Full Version : Mardy Gilyard

blitzburgh56
01-17-2010, 12:35 PM
What do you guys think the chances are of us picking up Mardy Gilyard in the second or third round? I think he would be a great slot receiver plus hes an excellent return man. Hines isn't getting any younger and Santonio is probably going to want a fat contract when his current deal is up. I'm anxious to hear your opinions.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-17-2010, 02:00 PM
Chances are slim and none.........and Slim just left the building. Ward, Holmes, Wallace, Miller are enough targets and it sounds like they are still going forward with the thought that Sweed can contribute.

If we use a pick in the top 3 rounds on a WR, I'll eat my hat.

supa_fly_steeler
01-17-2010, 02:13 PM
no waste. Cincinnati are gonna take him in first round.

Texasteel
01-17-2010, 02:55 PM
Chances are slim and none.........and Slim just left the building. Ward, Holmes, Wallace, Miller are enough targets and it sounds like they are still going forward with the thought that Sweed can contribute.

You know what happened the last time someone said that.

groundhogday
01-17-2010, 03:46 PM
If we take a WR in this draft our puke.

taztroy43
01-17-2010, 08:30 PM
NO way we take a WR in the 1st/2nd/or 3rd....maybe in the fourth.....but we got good recievers already w/ the exception of LameASS Sweed...lol....hope he steps up his game next year.....but I do acknowledge the fact that Ward is getting older and injured more than he used to but he still has a couple of more years left in him!!!!...Man it will be a sad day when Hines Ward retires!!!!!

Nadroj 20
01-17-2010, 09:54 PM

I wouldnt hate seeing them take a WR, unfortunately ward is gettting older and that leaves wallace and holmes with a very questionable sweed, taking a solid WR 2nd or 3rd round wouldnt be the worse thing in the world

Im not sure about Gilyard but a WR nonetheless.

I would like to see other positions filled dont get me wrong like corner saftey d line and even oline im just saying a WR isnt horrible.

supa_fly_steeler
01-17-2010, 10:52 PM
we could take dyrell roberts in the 2010 draft.

SteelerNation12
01-17-2010, 11:39 PM
Steelers have a thing for picking a position no one excepts them to on draft day. But I highly doubt we neglect the OL in round 2.

Galax Steeler
01-18-2010, 04:18 AM
I don't see us taking a receiver in the top part of the draft. If there is a decent one later in the draft and we pick him up it would not make me mad.

Steely McSmash
01-18-2010, 11:46 AM
I think Gilyard is a great talent and he'll be an exceptional playmaker. If he drops to round 3 I could see taking him. second round is full of good values this year I think.

We didn't really need Sweed when we drafted him but the team had him graded as a first round guy so they took the perceived value.

Galax Steeler
01-18-2010, 02:48 PM
We didn't really need Sweed when we drafted him but the team had him graded as a first round guy so they took the perceived value.

They sure have missed that one so far.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-19-2010, 12:28 AM
I'd pass. Take a look at Freddie Barnes in the 5th maybe to be the Hines replacement down the road.

Steeldude
01-19-2010, 06:36 AM
nothing surprises me the way the steelers keep drafting WRs. i wouldn't be surprised of they spent their first pick on a WR.

msafford
01-20-2010, 03:28 PM
I'd pass. Take a look at Freddie Barnes in the 5th maybe to be the Hines replacement down the road.

That's exactly who I was thinking of. Watched him play quite a bit. Good kid, reliable hands, and should hopefully be around later on in the draft.

jonslow
01-20-2010, 03:35 PM
That's exactly who I was thinking of. Watched him play quite a bit. Good kid, reliable hands, and should hopefully be around later on in the draft.

I'm from Bowling Green so I had the pleasure of seeing Barnes play almost every game this year. He'd be a great fit to replace Ward in the future provided we don't reach to take him. Barnes had the benefit of a lot of targets this year, but he also made the most of them. Really good hands, excellent route-running ability and he's a play-maker. He knows how to find the holes in zones. I think he really fits the mold of a productive slot receiver in the NFL, and a guy I'd love to watch in Pittsburgh.

MasterOfPuppets
01-20-2010, 07:04 PM
nothing surprises me the way the steelers keep drafting WRs. i wouldn't be surprised of they spent their first pick on a WR.

well you can't have to many receivers when you go 5 wide half the game...:tt03: ....i say cut all those running backs that hardly get used and add 5 more receivers to the roster !!! :thumbsup:

tony hipchest
01-20-2010, 07:17 PM
well you can't have to many receivers when you go 5 wide half the game...:tt03: ....i say cut all those running backs that hardly get used and add 5 more receivers to the roster !!! :thumbsup:shoot, while we're at it we can cut sweed, mcdonald, and galloway, 3 of our 6 tight ends and the four impostors we have pretending to be fullbacks (also get rid of the mirage of redman and tank being "goaline backs"- everyone knows BA passes in those situations anyways).

i say the only thing we give the offense on draft day is an OLman or 2 and arians a hoagie sandwich to eat while he goes sit in a closet.

MasterOfPuppets
01-20-2010, 07:56 PM
shoot, while we're at it we can cut sweed, mcdonald, and galloway, 3 of our 6 tight ends and the four impostors we have pretending to be fullbacks (also get rid of the mirage of redman and tank being "goaline backs"- everyone knows BA passes in those situations anyways).

i say the only thing we give the offense on draft day is an OLman or 2 and arians a hoagie sandwich to eat while he goes sit in a closet.
how about 3 more Hbacks.....5 wide Hbacks !!!:yikes:

taztroy43
01-27-2010, 12:33 AM
Man I don't want this guy in B&G....He's seriously struggling in the Senior Bowl practices....He's not getting any separation against other college players...just imagine what would happen to him in the NFL!!!! I would say if we were to draft him it should be like in the 5 or 6th round....Preferably 6th......I wish him the best though.....:hatsoff:

blitzburgh56
01-30-2010, 06:09 PM
Man I don't want this guy in B&G....He's seriously struggling in the Senior Bowl practices....He's not getting any separation against other college players...just imagine what would happen to him in the NFL!!!!

Mardy Gilyard Senior Bowl Stats......5 rec, 102 yards, 1 TD

taztroy43
01-30-2010, 06:21 PM
Mardy Gilyard Senior Bowl Stats......5 rec, 102 yards, 1 TD

He did good....but again his team had a really good line and the QB did have more time than the other....but I'm not taking anything away from this guy....he was impressive....he was the best WR out there.....its crazy how during the week he was having some trouble...but come gameday he seemed to get everything together.....that just shows u what kind of guy he is......:thumbsup:......man I want to see Taylor Mays with the Steelers now....lol....I know a lot of people won't agree w/ me.....:chuckle:

supa_fly_steeler
01-31-2010, 10:35 AM
how about we draft goal-line recievers?????

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-31-2010, 11:14 AM
man I want to see Taylor Mays with the Steelers now....lol....I know a lot of people won't agree w/ me.....:chuckle:

Like this person::

Most Disappointing Player in Mobile
Taylor Mays/S/USC: For Mays the week turned into a potpourri of skills he's likely to struggle with in the NFL; he'll struggle handling man-to-man coverage assignments and struggle making plays sideline-to-sideline as a true NFL centerfielder. Mays is still a legitimate prospect for the next level but the limitations he displayed this week will reduce the number of teams wanting to acquire him in April.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/01/29/senior.bowl/index.html#ixzz0eD9L5MKo

taztroy43
02-01-2010, 11:40 AM
Like this person::

Most Disappointing Player in Mobile
Taylor Mays/S/USC: For Mays the week turned into a potpourri of skills he's likely to struggle with in the NFL; he'll struggle handling man-to-man coverage assignments and struggle making plays sideline-to-sideline as a true NFL centerfielder. Mays is still a legitimate prospect for the next level but the limitations he displayed this week will reduce the number of teams wanting to acquire him in April.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/01/29/senior.bowl/index.html#ixzz0eD9L5MKo

Yeah I know but he had a week to learn how to cover and that's not a very long time...and besides I don't think the guys coaching him in MOBILE are better than our Coaches or even come close to ours!!!!!!!...I just find it amazing that @ USC they didn't teach him how to cover for SQUAT!!!!! He's a very RAW prospect....just like polamalu was when he was coming out of USC....but I hope he slips because for some reason I believe if he has really good coaching and a mentor(we have both) that he would probably be successful in the NFL....but I agree w/ a lot of you....he's kind of too much of a project to warrant a 1st round pick....or atleast in the upper half of the 1st round....