PDA

View Full Version : What's Ziggy's role in 2010?

zulater
01-17-2010, 02:40 PM
I think Ziggy Hood made tremendous strides toward the latter part of the season and gave us flashes that he could be a real impact player sooner rather than later. So assuming that Aaron Smith comes back relatively close to his former self where exactly does that leave Ziggy? Keisel is coming off the best year of his career, (imo) so you can't move him there full time either. So is it a 3 man DE rotation next year? Is either he or Aaron big or strong enough to play some nose tackle? Do we mix in more 4-3, if so do Keisel and A. Smith still excell in that formation?

I suppose it's a good problem to have though?

supa_fly_steeler
01-17-2010, 02:42 PM
he will be washing the gatorade tubs in summer camp ;)

MasterOfPuppets
01-17-2010, 02:47 PM
i'm assuming he'll just continue in his relief / rotation role , :noidea:

zulater
01-17-2010, 02:49 PM
i'm assuming he'll just continue in his relief / rotation role , :noidea:

Figuring that there's about 55-65 defensive snaps a game to distribute how many do you think Ziggy's on the field for?

supa_fly_steeler
01-17-2010, 02:54 PM
Figuring that there's about 55-65 defensive snaps a game to distribute how many do you think Ziggy's on the field for?

7-13 snaps

theplatypus
01-17-2010, 03:01 PM
That's probably up to Ziggy.

7willBheaven
01-17-2010, 03:05 PM
I think he will be in the rotation more...with Smith I would say more so than Keisel...as I think with Smith having more wear and tear than Keisel and wanting to keep Smith healthy and such I think Ziggy rotates with him, he could see a third of the snaps or so...depending on the situation of the game. Plus i see Eason being mixed in some too...or even Harris if they bring him back....though I'd see Harris inactive of the 5.

zulater
01-17-2010, 03:09 PM
7-13 snaps

So you don't think much of Ziggy, or this is some sort of inside joke that I'm not getting? :noidea:

Godfather
01-17-2010, 03:27 PM
Ziggy should get into the rotation a lot next year. We'll have three top-quality DEs and we'll be able to mantain fresh legs.

MasterOfPuppets
01-17-2010, 03:54 PM

1/3 ... depending on how much passing downs there is.

zulater
01-17-2010, 04:45 PM
1/3 ... depending on how much passing downs there is.

That sounds about right to me too.

lionslicer
01-17-2010, 07:19 PM
He'll fight for the position Kiesel and has. And if he doesn't get it, he'll sub in a lot for Smith and Kiesel, and maybe play some nose tackle. He wont start at nose tackle though, he isn't big enough.

Vincent
01-17-2010, 07:21 PM
He'll be a defensive end in Pittsburgh.

#1 Big Ben Fan
01-17-2010, 07:26 PM
I really hope Ziggy steps up next year and makes the coaches play him more. He started to make some stride at the end of year and I'm excited to see how much he improves next year. I would like to see him play some snaps at NT to. I understand Ziggy isn't the ideal fit for a 3-4 NT but Jay Ratliff isn't the ideal fit for 3-4 NT either and Ratliff does a solid job for the Cowgirls. I also know the Cowboys 3-4 is different then our 3-4 but I also think Ziggy could be an effective NT on a limited basis. Basically I want him to rotate all over the DL next year.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-18-2010, 12:27 AM
HE will hit the weight room and get stronger, then he basically will fill the role of Kirschke until either Keisel or Smith get injured again and find himself in the starting rotation. I am ready to say bye to Kirschke and say hello to Hood and RaShon Harris.

Galax Steeler
01-18-2010, 03:37 AM
Hood will get his share of snaps this year according on how he does in training camp. If he shows the hot hand then the will be on the field alot more of just waiting on an injury to Keisel or Smith.

steeltheone
01-18-2010, 04:40 AM
He better start. That is the only way he will get better. He is a number one pick, he needs on the field.

Prok
01-18-2010, 07:25 AM
He better start. That is the only way he will get better. He is a number one pick, he needs on the field.

Agreed. That kid showed me enough to warrant him earning himself a starting job this year. A 3 man line of Hood, Smith and Hampton would be the ideal thing for my likings. Well that's a lie I'd rather a 4 man line but I won't get that any time soon. lol

vrabinec
01-18-2010, 07:33 AM
He'll fight for the position Kiesel and has. And if he doesn't get it, he'll sub in a lot for Smith and Kiesel, and maybe play some nose tackle. He wont start at nose tackle though, he isn't big enough.

I like Keisel, but he doesn't have near the physical ability that Ziggy has. Ziggy's gonna beat him out and be the starter. Keisel will be rotated in to give him a rest now and then. As for playing Ziggy over the nose, forget it, he doesn't have the leverage and he's not strong enough against the double team IMO. We'll be very happy with a starting line of Smith, Hampton, and Hood. With Ziggy on that side to provide a pass rush, teams will have to deal with him, Harrison and Timmons all on the same side, that's a problem for any line.

X-Terminator
01-18-2010, 07:37 AM
Agreed. That kid showed me enough to warrant him earning himself a starting job this year. A 3 man line of Hood, Smith and Hampton would be the ideal thing for my likings. Well that's a lie I'd rather a 4 man line but I won't get that any time soon. lol

The thing is, they signed Keisel to a pretty lucrative contract extension, so he has to play somewhere. With Smith coming back and Hampton possibly coming back, Hood is going to be the odd-man out of the starting lineup but would be the first off the bench in the rotation. He would have to clearly beat out Keisel in TC to win the starting job...anything close and the Diesel keeps his job. They have the ability to run some 4-3 with the personnel they have, and hopefully Dick Lebeau will consider incorporating some of that in the defensive scheme.

steeltheone
01-18-2010, 08:44 AM
Well Smith is to make 6 mill this year compared to ziggys 1.5. That money needs used elsewhere if possible.

wootawnee
01-18-2010, 09:03 AM
We need a version of the 4-3........Look how much havoc the Vikings do..........I think we should have it too........

vrabinec
01-18-2010, 09:41 AM
We need a version of the 4-3........Look how much havoc the Vikings do..........I think we should have it too........

Four out of the top 5 defenses this year ran the 3-4. I think that, once we get Smith back, we will work some 4-3 into the system and use it when the opponent dictates. But there's nothing wrong with running a base 3-4, as long as your linemen and All Pro safety are healthy.

lionslicer
01-18-2010, 10:04 AM
Four out of the top 5 defenses this year ran the 3-4. I think that, once we get Smith back, we will work some 4-3 into the system and use it when the opponent dictates. But there's nothing wrong with running a base 3-4, as long as your linemen and All Pro safety are healthy.

Every 3-4 teams has 4-3 calls and formations. Either its 3 linemen and 1 linebacker down on a 3 point stance or 2 line men and 2 linebackers.

Look at those top four 3-4 teams, only the jets and greenbay have top 5 pass defenses. Two 4-3 teams have top pass defenses.

Ziggy is a good player, I see he'll be in there on any 4-3 like formation and most passing downs.

vrabinec
01-18-2010, 11:03 AM
Every 3-4 teams has 4-3 calls and formations. Either its 3 linemen and 1 linebacker down on a 3 point stance or 2 line men and 2 linebackers. .

IMO, the Steelers intended to use a version of the 4-3 this year on passing downs, but the injury to Smith screwed that up. With Smith, Hood, and Kiesel as the down linemen, you have three pretty good pass rushers, then you send either Woodley, Harrison or Timmons or a couple of them as needed for the pass rush. Having to send Eason or Kischke in there messed things up and forced us to use Farrior as a fourth LB and go to two linemen. The front seven should be much better next year, and we should see much less of Farrior back there on passing downs.

steeltheone
01-18-2010, 11:20 AM
Smith was hurt the 6th game i believe. If not for that Ziggy would have seen the field very little. Now we have 3 33 -34 year olds starting and one is a FA. Its a must that hood starts. Might lose a little now ( very little) but it will pay off the end of next year and years to come. This board wants to keep everybody. In years past getting rid of these old guys kept us at the top. Now we have 4 guys on the downside of their careers and only one replacement.

WH
01-18-2010, 01:29 PM
Hopefully he's something more than an 80% bench warmer.

nikstar
01-19-2010, 01:45 AM
I think he will be in the rotation more...with Smith I would say more so than Keisel...as I think with Smith having more wear and tear than Keisel and wanting to keep Smith healthy and such I think Ziggy rotates with him, he could see a third of the snaps or so...depending on the situation of the game. Plus i see Eason being mixed in some too...or even Harris if they bring him back....though I'd see Harris inactive of the 5.

He's unsigned... and possibly going... I hope he stays but could see him leaving especially if there is no cap.

markymarc
01-19-2010, 03:08 PM
I would not be surprised to see Ziggy be the first DL off the bench when Keisel or Smith needs a breather in 2010. Hopefully Ziggy works hard in the off season and can become the #4 DL this season.

I would also like to see RaShon Harris do some things next season.

pancake
01-19-2010, 09:20 PM
I would like to see Ziggy push Brett for playing time.

The Duke
01-20-2010, 05:35 AM
I would not be surprised to see Ziggy be the first DL off the bench when Keisel or Smith needs a breather in 2010. Hopefully Ziggy works hard in the off season and can become the #4 DL this season.

I would also like to see RaShon Harris do some things next season.

I have high hopes for that kid

Either Kirshke or eason is likely gone this year. I'd say travis due to his age and back woes

Harris will surely take that place

RoethlisBURGHer
01-20-2010, 06:18 AM
I think he's likely to see about 1/3 of the defensive snaps subbing for both Smith and Keisel.

I also think we will see him in for smith a lot on passing situations. In two of the last three seasons we have lost Smith to injury during the season. We need to keep him healthy, he's a beast against the run. Hood seems to collapse the pocket better on passing downs which is his job as a defensive end in the Steelers 3-4, collapse the pocket and force blockers to you, allowing the linebackers to get in and make plays.

steeltheone
01-20-2010, 11:15 AM
Maybe by his 4th year he can get 3\4 of the snaps.

markymarc
01-22-2010, 12:26 PM
I have high hopes for that kid

Either Kirshke or eason is likely gone this year. I'd say travis due to his age and back woes

Harris will surely take that place

I had high hopes for Harris last season and was very happy when we got him back. I do agree that either Kirschke or Eason is gone this off season. I see them getting rid of Travis due to his back issues and like you mentioned age. I think Nick Eason did well when starting this season.

I will be very surprised if Harris is not in the DE rotation for the 2010 season. Maybe even Steve McLendon can open some eyes in the off season after spending the 2009 season on our PS.