PDA

View Full Version : The Wade Phillips Firing Watch

Glace
01-17-2010, 08:45 PM
Comeon, JJ....don't let us down. We know you want to pull the trigger.

Jones was interviewed, and wouldn't answer any questions about the coaching staff. (Obviously doesn't mean he's fired, but doesn't mean he's safe either)

He did, however, confirm that he will meet with Phillips tomorrow.

What are your wagers?!?

I say if it were a close game....Phillips is safe.....Blowout = pink slip.

fansince'76
01-17-2010, 08:46 PM

Tomorrow it is, then!

lionslicer
01-17-2010, 08:59 PM
Jerry Jones = One of the Dumbest NFL team owners (redskins and raiders owners are worse)

His team makes the playoffs and gets first win and 13 years and he will more than likely Fire Phillips.

Dumbest thing he did was firing Bill Parcells, who was in process of rebuilding a broken team. He built most of the defense through free agency and the draft. And it was because Romo screwed up a Hold on a field goal.

zulater
01-17-2010, 09:01 PM
http://www.bolttalk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21328

In the same vein.

How's this for irony, a guy who posts under "Norv4life is the first one to rush to his keyboard demanding Norv's ouster.:toofunny:

BigBen'sSwagger
01-17-2010, 09:23 PM
Being down here in San Antonio it will be interesting to see. Lots of talk of Cowher down here earlier but he was asking for to much control for jj's liking. The fans down here hated him until he won in December and then won last week now they are all in love again. One of the sports announcers here was calling them the cowboy girlfriend (very funny stuff). He is pretty realistic about them and is very reluctant to fall in love because they have broken his heart time and again. I can't wait to hear him tomorrow on Ticket 760 he comes on at 3 central named Mike Taylor. He was begining to get a little giddy last week will be interesting to hear him now.

I told many of their fans down here the worst thing that could happen is if Wade wins a playoff game then loses the next one for this very reason. What will they do??? How can they fire him???

As for Parcels he didn't fire him Bill left but jerry drove him to it by bringing in T.O. who Parcells would refer to as that guy. It was funny. Let the jj circus begin.

lionslicer
01-17-2010, 09:33 PM
Being down here in San Antonio it will be interesting to see. Lots of talk of Cowher down here earlier but he was asking for to much control for jj's liking. The fans down here hated him until he won in December and then won last week now they are all in love again. One of the sports announcers here was calling them the cowboy girlfriend (very funny stuff). He is pretty realistic about them and is very reluctant to fall in love because they have broken his heart time and again. I can't wait to hear him tomorrow on Ticket 760 he comes on at 3 central named Mike Taylor. He was begining to get a little giddy last week will be interesting to hear him now.

I told many of their fans down here the worst thing that could happen is if Wade wins a playoff game then loses the next one for this very reason. What will they do??? How can they fire him???

As for Parcels he didn't fire him Bill left but jerry drove him to it by bringing in T.O. who Parcells would refer to as that guy. It was funny. Let the jj circus begin.

Cowher wouldn't go to the Cowboys for the world. He wants to be the coach, not be a puppet like Jones wants him to be. Jones seems to think he knows more about football than coaches.

And I thought Parcels was fired, my bad.

GodfatherofSoul
01-17-2010, 09:50 PM
I can't stand the way Jerry Jones always thinks he needs to walk down to the field whenever they're losing, like his mere presence will scare the team into shape.

BTW, Dan Snyder is the worst owner by far. A fast-talking con man who's failed upwards and greased over his incompetence with used car salesmanship.

GodfatherofSoul
01-17-2010, 09:54 PM
Comeon, JJ....don't let us down. We know you want to pull the trigger.

Jones was interviewed, and wouldn't answer any questions about the coaching staff. (Obviously doesn't mean he's fired, but doesn't mean he's safe either)

What are your wagers?!?

I say if it were a close game....Phillips is safe.....Blowout = pink slip.

I'd agree with you. The blowout will probably cost him his job IF JJ has another coach on the hook. Otherwise, WP might survive based on the lack of options.

BigBen'sSwagger
01-17-2010, 09:56 PM
Cowher wouldn't go to the Cowboys for the world. He wants to be the coach, not be a puppet like Jones wants him to be. Jones seems to think he knows more about football than coaches.

And I thought Parcels was fired, my bad.

Cowher was a super hot topic down here since last year. From what I understand he asked for to much and they said no. He probably stated that jerry had to stay in the box and I think he wanted to be the general manager so he could dictate to jerry who comes and plays so he won't have to deal with that guy (T.O).

Yeah Parcels didn't get fired but you could say jerry forced him out by bringing in his guys T.O., Pacman, and Tank Johnson.

BigBen'sSwagger
01-17-2010, 10:00 PM
B.T.W. Mike Taylor the local sports announcer on Ticket 760 calls wade yuk yuk, because he thinks wade is a joke. He's resorted to calling him wade this past week wonder if it goes back to yuk yuk tomorrow.

steeltheone
01-18-2010, 05:47 AM
The only reason i hated to see the Cowboys lose was Wade.

BigBen'sSwagger
01-18-2010, 07:06 AM
The local news makes it sound like he is coming back as of last night.

zulater
01-18-2010, 03:47 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/columns/story?id=4836422

At some point Monday or early this week Jerry Jones will confirm that he is bringing Wade Phillips back as head coach of the Cowboys next season and pro football as we have known and loved it here in Dallas-Fort Worth will change forever.

It will signal a sea change in the way we look at the Cowboys and, more importantly, the way Jerry Jones looks at his franchise.

Once upon a time, in a faraway kingdom, the Cowboys were all about championships. Not division championships. Not regular-season "championships." Not even NFC championships. They were about Super Bowls and world championships. Nothing less would do.

When Jones officially exercises the option in Phillips' contract for another season, or even extends him with a new one, it will signal that the owner is lowering the bar on his expectations and on ours. He will be telling us that occasionally winning a playoff game, maybe even just getting to the playoffs, is enough now.

If we try hard enough, maybe we can convince ourselves that that's not a big thing, that this is simply not the franchise it was in the mid-'90s, that we need to quit frolicking in the past and understand how much things have changed.

At the same time, I can't help but feel sadness for the passing of something unique and precious, something that set the Dallas Cowboys apart from almost every other team in the NFL. This was a franchise with only one goal, and nothing else was good enough. This was a Super Bowl-or-bust organization. Anything less was a failure and not to be tolerated.

With Wade Phillips, Jerry has decided to settle. He knows, probably better than any of us, that Wade is not a championship coach. You see, around here, we know championship coaches. We know what they look like, what they sound like, what they coach like.

Wade is no Tom Landry. Or Jimmy Johnson. Or Vince Lombardi. Or Bill Walsh. Or Bill Parcells. Or Bill Cowher, for that matter. Jones knows that.

Head coaches like those possess an inimitable charisma, a commanding presence, that lets everyone in the room know who they are and what they are about: excellence.

Wade has all the charisma of a wrinkled plaid shirt, the presence of a timid shoe salesman.

Wade is the head coach, standing on the sideline after Sunday's 34-3 mugging at the Metrodome, yapping, "We'll remember this next year," at the backs of triumphant Vikings players.

Unfortunately, so will we.

Embarrassing.

Cowher would have punched somebody in the mouth, but my guess is that that somebody would have been wearing Cowboys' silver, not Vikings' purple. That's who deserved Phillips' venom, not the Vikings.

Wade is the guy who didn't have the guts to go for it on fourth-and-less-than-a-yard at the Minnesota 30 in the first quarter, when the Cowboys had the momentum, then stands there shaking his head in disgust when his claimed-in-December kicker misses from 48 yards. After the game, Wade had the audacity to try to argue with reporters that it wasn't fourth-and-1. Either he didn't know the actual distance or he didn't want to admit he'd blown it. Either way, it's unacceptable.

Not to mention that Jones rendered his own indictment of the decision when he admitted that Shaun Suisham's pregame warm-up kicks from more than 45 yards were "dicey" at best.

Phillips is a good football coach, and if that sounds contradictory, it's not. He knows defense. What he doesn't know is how to lead. That's why he was so desperate to bring in someone like linebacker Keith Brooking, because that leadership has to come from somewhere. At least we should give Phillips credit for knowing his own vulnerability, even if he will never admit it publicly.

Phillips is not a championship-caliber head coach. That used to matter around here.

For Jerry, though, what seems most important now is having a coach he can manipulate, someone who will never tell him no. Jerry wants a yes man and Wade fits that role perfectly. He will win regular-season games because the Cowboys have a talented team. When the matchup is right, as it was against a Philadelphia team that had no running game this year, he might even win a playoff game now and then.

I've heard the argument that starting over with another new head coach and a new staff would be a bad thing, that the progress that has been made here would be lost. I look at it from a different angle, I guess. Since I'm convinced that the Cowboys can't win a Super Bowl with this head coach, or even get close to one, then I don't see starting over as a setback. I see it as the first step to getting things right.

But that premise is based on the old way of thinking, the way the Cowboys used to be, when the only goal was winning it all and nothing else mattered.

The bar is about to be lowered, and Dallas Cowboys football as we've known and loved it will change, maybe forever.

A moment of silence, please, for the passing of something great and wonderful.

Jim Reeves is a former columnist with the Fort Worth Star-Telegram and will be a frequent contributor to ESPNDallas.com.

BigBen'sSwagger
01-18-2010, 06:21 PM
LOL Mike Taylor of Ticket 760 here in San Antonio is back to calling him yuk yuk and calling him the reason they lost so miserably. Funny show to listen to as long as you aint a cryboy fan.

fansince'76
01-18-2010, 06:25 PM
LOL Mike Taylor of Ticket 760 here in San Antonio is back to calling him yuk yuk and calling him the reason they lost so miserably. Funny show to listen to as long as you aint a cryboy fan.

"Yuk Yuk." :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

HometownGal
01-18-2010, 06:29 PM
Wade has all the charisma of a wrinkled plaid shirt, the presence of a timid shoe salesman.

That about sums it up. :rofl: :toofunny:

I thought Wade's dad was an awesome coach, but the apple fell about 10 miles from the tree with the son.

I dunno - Wade Phillips always reminded me of . . . .

http://www.bryanreesman.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/stay_puft.jpg

BigBen'sSwagger
01-19-2010, 08:43 PM
Latest rumor is that they are going to extend wade 3 years nothing solid on it yet, their fans are bemoaning this.

AllD
01-19-2010, 09:42 PM
Wade Philips is a lot like Norv Turner, but more of a "redneck Charlie Brown". Neither will ever win a championship as a head coach.

Stlrs4Life
01-20-2010, 10:57 AM
Wade isn't going anywhere.

steelerdave1969
01-20-2010, 11:03 AM
I personally think that Wade did a fine job this year. The Vikings played the best game of their season last sunday and not many teams could have went in there and won that game the way that Vikings defense was playing. I am personally hoping the Saints bring one home for their owner... he seems like a classy gentleman.

memphissteelergirl
01-20-2010, 11:22 AM
That about sums it up. :rofl: :toofunny:

I thought Wade's dad was an awesome coach, but the apple fell about 10 miles from the tree with the son. I agree...."Bum" was one of those coaches I loved to hate when the Old Oilers team was one of the Steelers's biggest division rivals, but there's no denying he was a d*** good coach. Wade....eh...not so much.

I dunno - Wade Phillips always reminded me of . . . .

http://www.bryanreesman.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/stay_puft.jpg

:rofl::rofl: I don't care who ya are....that's funny!

BigBen'sSwagger
01-20-2010, 09:12 PM
I personally think that Wade did a fine job this year. The Vikings played the best game of their season last sunday and not many teams could have went in there and won that game the way that Vikings defense was playing. I am personally hoping the Saints bring one home for their owner... he seems like a classy gentleman.

The knock on Wade is that he's to nice not a leader. They are also knocking him for going for a field goal rather than try for it on 4th and less than one early in the game with momentum on their side.

I personally think the biggest difference in this game is they don't have all the distractors this season. Last year T.O. tore that team apart right at the most critical time during the stretch run.

I don't blame cowboy fans for not wanting Wade but he probably is the best coach for Jerry because he isn't going to question his decisions.

Angus Burgher
01-21-2010, 04:04 PM
Whenever I look at Wade, I seriously wonder if he has some sort of learning disability. He just looks like he's a bit too slow to be doing anything other than mopping floors somewhere. I guess he's a decent enough coach when it gets down to it though... the Clownboys performed pretty well this season, managing to last one playoff game before their typical late-season meltdown.

supa_fly_steeler
01-21-2010, 04:24 PM
Whenever I look at Wade, I seriously wonder if he has some sort of learning disability. He just looks like he's a bit too slow to be doing anything other than mopping floors somewhere.

lol

BigBen'sSwagger
01-23-2010, 09:17 AM
Yuk Yuk got 2 year extension.