PDA

View Full Version : Best Steeler First Round Pick In Last Decade: Polamalu Or Roethlisberger

Galax Steeler
01-18-2010, 04:05 AM
As draft season approaches, there is much speculation and anticipation over what the Steelers will do with their first round pick. Will they trade up, trade down, pick the best available player, or fill a high priority need? With so many key players facing free agency, trying to answer this question sparks great debate.

I began thinking about the Steelers’ first round picks in the last 10 years. Roethlisberger, Polamalu, Hampton, Holmes, Miller, Mendenhall. It’s a who’s who of current Steeler greatness.

Considering this list, who would you choose as the biggest impact player? Who is the best first rounder the Steelers have chosen in the last decade? Is there a clear answer? Bring on the debate!

If I had to narrow down the list, I would focus on Roethlisberger, Polamalu, and Holmes. As big a fan as I am of Santonio, I think Ben and Troy would be considered the two finalists. Santonio is a great receiver, but his accomplishments thus far in his young career do not hold up against the likes of Roethlisberger and Polamalu.

So with the final two choices selected, who is the best first round draft pick in the last 10 years?

Let’s start with Big Ben. Drafted in 2004 (11th overall) out of Miami (OH), he has become a premier quarterback in the league. His list of accomplishments is growing year by year. Ben led the Steelers to two Super Bowl victories in four years (Super Bowls XL and XLIII)—with the most recent win achieved through a superior fourth quarter drive and a beautiful spiral to the corner of the end zone to Santonio Holmes. In the 2009 season, he became the first Steeler quarterback to throw for more than 4,000 yards. He also set the franchise record for most yards thrown in a single game (503) against Green Bay. He has more wins (51) in his first five years than any other quarterback in NFL history. The list doesn’t stop there.

Let’s a take a look at Polamalu. Drafted 16th overall in 2003 out of USC, Troy is easily one of the top safeties in the NFL. He is a five-time Pro Bowler, and considered by many to be the “face” of the Steelers. He epitomizes the Steelers’ brand of in-your-face football, and there is nothing more exciting than seeing him streak across the field in hot pursuit. Sadly, there are few record categories on the defensive side of the ball, but Polamalu is clearly an impact player whose presence on the field can never be minimized.

So how does one go about making such a decision between the two? They play on different sides of the ball and have responsibilities that cannot be compared.

In making my decision, I chose to focus on impact. Ben and Troy would both rank high on this scale. In narrowing the choice, for me Troy is the bigger impact player.

Roethlisberger makes a big impact for the Steelers, no doubt. But in reality, he is helped in his efforts by great receivers in Holmes and Hines Ward. Many of his receptions have come off of great catches by both of these men. Lesser receivers would not have made many of these plays. In Ben’s first few years in the league, he was fortunate enough to have Jerome Bettis in the backfield as an impact player himself.

Let’s be honest. As much as we love Roethlisberger, he makes many of us incredibly nervous with some of his decision making. As he has matured, we have seen his play-making ability get stronger, but many of Ben’s fourth quarter heroics become possible because of earlier misjudgments or miscues on his part.

With Troy, we are not nervous. It is when he doesn’t play that we hang our heads. The 2009 season is proof of that. The defense wasn’t the same. When Troy played, the team was 4-1. Without him they were 5-6. The defense went on a seven game stretch with no interceptions—only to be broken by James Farrior against the Ravens on December 27. Teams were not afraid to throw the ball against the Steeler defense. In fact, it almost seemed that they were excited by the prospect. In 2008, the Steelers were first in the league in passing defense. In 2009, sans Troy, we fell to 16th.

Polamalu’s impact may not be as measurable in the form of individual records, but his impact can be clearly seen in the increased performance of his defensive teammates, in the emotion that he brings to the field, and the fear that he brings to opposing teams. When he is not in uniform, the Steelers seem lost. They play as though they are a mediocre team at best. In 2009, they were without Polamalu. In 2009, they did not resemble a defending world champion.

With that said, my vote for the Steelers’ best first round draft pick in the last decade is Troy Polamalu. I know there will be some that disagree. Let’s hear the debate...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/327774-best-steeler-first-round-pick-in-last-decade-polamalu-or-roethlisberger

Boomerang
01-18-2010, 04:12 AM
I would say Ben,his ability to still make a play when most QB,s succumb to a sack has won us countless games.

steeltheone
01-18-2010, 04:42 AM
Probably would have 3 other SB wins in the 90's with a real QB....Ben with out a doubt

stillers4me
01-18-2010, 05:07 AM
Ben doesn't make me nervous anymore. What makes me nervous is watching Troy get hit.

Prok
01-18-2010, 07:30 AM
Probably would have 3 other SB wins in the 90's with a real QB....Ben with out a doubt

Gotta agree there. The franchise QB trumps all. But damn is Troy P a close second. If he had less injury issues it'd be even closer.

fansince'76
01-18-2010, 10:26 AM
Ben, for reasons already mentioned. With only Troy, we'd be in the same boat as we were in the '90s and early this past decade - an excellent defensive team that would continue to consistently fall short in the postseason due to opposing defenses stacking the box against the run and a journeyman QB (at best) effing things up by throwing picks at the absolute worst times when we would be forced to pass.

Stlrs4Life
01-18-2010, 10:49 AM
Ben, without him, we probably don't win those 2 SBs.

steelreserve
01-18-2010, 11:01 AM
Definitely Ben. After seeing what we got out of 20 years with great defenses and mediocre revolving-door QBs, that's a pretty easy call.

scsteeler
01-18-2010, 11:11 AM
If I had to pick I would say Ben but I think Troy is equally as good in what he provides on the defense as Ben does on the offense. Steelers have a long tradition of have some great draft picks.

Milkman
01-18-2010, 11:15 AM
D. Revis "should have been" part of this discussion (if only the FO would have made sure to get him...).

scsteeler
01-18-2010, 11:17 AM
D. Revis "should have been" part of this discussion (if only the FO would have made sure to get him...).

I have been telling some folks this all year long in my hometown. I really wanted the Steelers to draft him we needed an Elite Corner and that he is.

Indo
Good thread

Personally, I have to go with Troy. I think he is THE BEST player in the Game.

That's not to say that Ben isn't a Huge part of the Steelers Identity.

but without Troy, we Don't even get to the playoffs last year. And we certainly don't beat the Ratbirds in the AFCCG.

It's a tough call---but I'll go with Troy.

CanadianSteel
I will cop out and say best pick was Big Ben...... but the best move was trading up to grab Troy no doubt.
Major props to the Steelers FO in targeting him and pulling the trigger..... same with Santonio to a lesser extent as we traded up slightly as I recall.

Prok
01-18-2010, 01:27 PM

Man would our D be sick if the Jets didn't grab him right b4 we picked.

supa_fly_steeler
01-18-2010, 03:21 PM
Troy Polamalu, best he will go down as the best safety ever.

Sure Ben's great but he's never going to go down as the best in the biz... thats left with marino bradshaw ect ect.

Psyychoward86
01-18-2010, 03:58 PM
Troy is by far the better football player regardless of position. He is THE best at safety in the league. Ben isnt, but id say Ben is actually more important to this team. I know that sounds a little contradictory...

MasterOfPuppets
01-18-2010, 04:19 PM
not all great teams had a quality safety, but they all had a quality qb.

ricardisimo
01-18-2010, 05:07 PM
Hampton. At least he should be a part of this discussion.

Psyychoward86
01-18-2010, 06:09 PM
Hampton. At least he should be a part of this discussion.

yeah, he was the cog in 3 of our #1 rushing defenses

6steelerfans
01-18-2010, 09:29 PM
Gotta agree there. The franchise QB trumps all. But damn is Troy P a close second. If he had less injury issues it'd be even closer.

I love Troy, but I have always felt that if the Steelers had taken Marino we'd have double digit championships so with that in mind, I have to give it to Ben....grudgingly

Prok
01-18-2010, 09:53 PM
Troy is by far the better football player regardless of position. He is THE best at safety in the league. Ben isnt, but id say Ben is actually more important to this team. I know that sounds a little contradictory...

Here's how I seez it.

Ben - Peyton Manning

Troy - Ed Reed.

Am I missing something here ??

JEFF4i
01-19-2010, 01:41 AM
Ben>Peyton IMO, but that's just because I love how Ben plays his position.
Troy>Ed Reed. Yeah, that's a no brainer.

I have to say, Ben. I mean, could we have gotten a different quarterback and been successful? Sure. Troy is more of an irreplaceable player, however, Ben has shown the tenacity that he needs in adversity. Last year our offense was abysmal, but Ben still put together 4th quarter drives to win.

Actually, I change it, I gotta call a tie. Simple as that.

Tone's Toes
01-19-2010, 03:28 AM
Big Ben is the more important pick since he is a franchise QB.

QB is the most important position in the game. It was a position of weakness for so long after Bradshaw left and not having a franchise QB cost us a chance at winning Super Bowls throughout the 90's and early 2000's etc.

Polamalu was actually the more impressive pick by management since he wasn't an obvious pick like Ben was. The Steelers got lucky when Ben fell to them. To be honest, they would have picked any of the 3 QB's (Ben, Eli, Rivers) that fell to them that year. The Polamalu pick was more impressive because management saw something in Troy and traded way up in the draft to get him.

Galax Steeler
01-19-2010, 03:40 AM
I have to go with Ben as well but our defense need Troy like our offense needs Ben.

SteelGhost
01-19-2010, 09:53 AM
Big Ben IMHO. If we'd had him in the "KS experiment" era, maybe we'd had 8 Lombardi trophys instead of 6 :noidea:

Of course Troy is a very close second, glad the FO traded up to draft him :thumbsup:

IMHO, Peyton and Marsha could be better passers, but Big Ben is a better QB overall without a doubt :tt02:

steel9guy
01-19-2010, 10:42 AM
Wow that is one great question. I'd have to say Ben because the 4th quarter comebacks but man Troy has won his fair share of games too. The AFC Championship last year and the Cowboys game. That's one heck of a question.

markymarc
01-19-2010, 03:20 PM
That is a great and very tough question to answer. Troy proved this season how he is our defensive MVP. Our defense was bad without him playing. To me though, getting Ben was the best pick we made this past decade. We now have our franchise QB and have 2 Super Bowl trophies because of him.

Edman
01-20-2010, 08:50 AM
Ben. Nothing trumps a franchise playmaker QB that can win.

The Steelers have fielded years of great defenses and even the HOF'er Rod Woodson in the defensive backfield, but they only sniffed the Super Bowl once, because we didn't have the QB who could make plays when it mattered in the playoffs when our main offensive threat (the run game and Bettis), was shut down.

In last year's AFC Title game (a constant bottleneck for the Steelers in the 90's and 00's), when the Ravens shut our run game down (as usual), how many of you would be confident with Kordell back there? Would he be able to will the Steelers and convert all of those third and longs like Ben did? The answer is no.

Psyychoward86
01-20-2010, 04:07 PM
Here's how I seez it.

Ben - Peyton Manning

Troy - Ed Reed.

Am I missing something here ??

yeah, this is how i pretty much see it

pancake
01-20-2010, 04:21 PM
For the team, Ben wins hands down, just because of the position he plays.

But the best pick for is, Troy. He is the best at his position (IMO) and Ben is not.

Dodt
01-20-2010, 04:52 PM
i'll wait for them to retire to decide.

rich4eagle
01-20-2010, 05:18 PM
As draft season approaches, there is much speculation and anticipation over what the Steelers will do with their first round pick. Will they trade up, trade down, pick the best available player, or fill a high priority need? With so many key players facing free agency, trying to answer this question sparks great debate.

I began thinking about the Steelers’ first round picks in the last 10 years. Roethlisberger, Polamalu, Hampton, Holmes, Miller, Mendenhall. It’s a who’s who of current Steeler greatness.

Considering this list, who would you choose as the biggest impact player? Who is the best first rounder the Steelers have chosen in the last decade? Is there a clear answer? Bring on the debate!

If I had to narrow down the list, I would focus on Roethlisberger, Polamalu, and Holmes. As big a fan as I am of Santonio, I think Ben and Troy would be considered the two finalists. Santonio is a great receiver, but his accomplishments thus far in his young career do not hold up against the likes of Roethlisberger and Polamalu.

So with the final two choices selected, who is the best first round draft pick in the last 10 years?

Let’s start with Big Ben. Drafted in 2004 (11th overall) out of Miami (OH), he has become a premier quarterback in the league. His list of accomplishments is growing year by year. Ben led the Steelers to two Super Bowl victories in four years (Super Bowls XL and XLIII)—with the most recent win achieved through a superior fourth quarter drive and a beautiful spiral to the corner of the end zone to Santonio Holmes. In the 2009 season, he became the first Steeler quarterback to throw for more than 4,000 yards. He also set the franchise record for most yards thrown in a single game (503) against Green Bay. He has more wins (51) in his first five years than any other quarterback in NFL history. The list doesn’t stop there.

Let’s a take a look at Polamalu. Drafted 16th overall in 2003 out of USC, Troy is easily one of the top safeties in the NFL. He is a five-time Pro Bowler, and considered by many to be the “face” of the Steelers. He epitomizes the Steelers’ brand of in-your-face football, and there is nothing more exciting than seeing him streak across the field in hot pursuit. Sadly, there are few record categories on the defensive side of the ball, but Polamalu is clearly an impact player whose presence on the field can never be minimized.

So how does one go about making such a decision between the two? They play on different sides of the ball and have responsibilities that cannot be compared.

In making my decision, I chose to focus on impact. Ben and Troy would both rank high on this scale. In narrowing the choice, for me Troy is the bigger impact player.

Roethlisberger makes a big impact for the Steelers, no doubt. But in reality, he is helped in his efforts by great receivers in Holmes and Hines Ward. Many of his receptions have come off of great catches by both of these men. Lesser receivers would not have made many of these plays. In Ben’s first few years in the league, he was fortunate enough to have Jerome Bettis in the backfield as an impact player himself.

Let’s be honest. As much as we love Roethlisberger, he makes many of us incredibly nervous with some of his decision making. As he has matured, we have seen his play-making ability get stronger, but many of Ben’s fourth quarter heroics become possible because of earlier misjudgments or miscues on his part.

With Troy, we are not nervous. It is when he doesn’t play that we hang our heads. The 2009 season is proof of that. The defense wasn’t the same. When Troy played, the team was 4-1. Without him they were 5-6. The defense went on a seven game stretch with no interceptions—only to be broken by James Farrior against the Ravens on December 27. Teams were not afraid to throw the ball against the Steeler defense. In fact, it almost seemed that they were excited by the prospect. In 2008, the Steelers were first in the league in passing defense. In 2009, sans Troy, we fell to 16th.

Polamalu’s impact may not be as measurable in the form of individual records, but his impact can be clearly seen in the increased performance of his defensive teammates, in the emotion that he brings to the field, and the fear that he brings to opposing teams. When he is not in uniform, the Steelers seem lost. They play as though they are a mediocre team at best. In 2009, they were without Polamalu. In 2009, they did not resemble a defending world champion.

With that said, my vote for the Steelers’ best first round draft pick in the last decade is Troy Polamalu. I know there will be some that disagree. Let’s hear the debate...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/327774-best-steeler-first-round-pick-in-last-decade-polamalu-or-roethlisberger

Duh was is this even a question.............Ben is the answer.............SIMPLE AS THAT:tt::tt:

markymarc
01-22-2010, 12:36 PM
Troy>Ed Reed. Yeah, that's a no brainer.

No question about that!

MDSteel15
01-22-2010, 01:07 PM
Troy Polamalu, best he will go down as the best safety ever.

Sure Ben's great but he's never going to go down as the best in the biz... thats left with marino bradshaw ect ect.

He will not be considered the best as long as Ronnie Lott is still in the discussion!

markymarc
01-23-2010, 02:34 PM
He will not be considered the best as long as Ronnie Lott is still in the discussion!

You are correct, but IMO Troy is closing the gap.