PDA

View Full Version : Can someone please tell the Jets...

Bobby_Walden
01-18-2010, 07:23 AM
...that this is a passing league now !!! H-E-L-L-0 !!!

Everyone knows you cannot win by running the ball, playing tough D - for 60 min.

What are they trying to do ? Ruin everything or something.

You have to pass the ball to win now a days.

I'd appreciate it if someone could let them know.

Thank you.

Prok
01-18-2010, 07:28 AM
Ya know what gets me? All those years under Cowher we did not look as good as the Jets are looking right now. Maybe it's because their D is more attack style and less conservative or something ??

I still can't see them getting by the Colts.... Who happen to kinda like the passing game just a bit....

fansince'76
01-18-2010, 07:29 AM
Moving to NFL section.

X-Terminator
01-18-2010, 07:32 AM
Of course you can win by running the ball and especially playing tough defense. But you still need to be able to pass the ball, plain and simple. The Jets have gone up against 2 teams who were not great run-stopping defenses and will be facing a 3rd this Sunday. However, when they have gone up against good run defenses, they have struggled, and "The Sanchise" threw picks like it was nobody's business. The thing is, the Steelers have the ability to do both effectively - they did both effectively this past season. It was when they NEEDED to run is where they failed more often than not, and I am confident that BA and Tomlin will fix that next season.

MasterOfPuppets
01-18-2010, 07:55 AM
Of course you can win by running the ball and especially playing tough defense. But you still need to be able to pass the ball, plain and simple. The Jets have gone up against 2 teams who were not great run-stopping defenses and will be facing a 3rd this Sunday. However, when they have gone up against good run defenses, they have struggled, and "The Sanchise" threw picks like it was nobody's business. The thing is, the Steelers have the ability to do both effectively - they did both effectively this past season. It was when they NEEDED to run is where they failed more often than not, and I am confident that BA and Tomlin will fix that next season. the bengals were 7th in the league...so i guess you could say they were better than average....:noidea:

Texasteel
01-18-2010, 08:22 AM
Maybe we should tell the Colts you can't win throwing the ball either.

MasterOfPuppets
01-18-2010, 08:27 AM
Maybe we should tell the Colts you can't win throwing the ball either.
manning has his playoff record to reference for that....:chuckle:

Curtain_of_Steel
01-18-2010, 08:51 AM
Well the Jets, Ravens, Eagles and now Rivers have learned their Quarterbacks lack a wide food pipe and tend to choke when it comes time to man up in the big games. They have no alternative but to run the ball.
Was something wrong with Rivers arm, it looked like he was shot putting the ball all game.

Last week the ratbirds took the ball out of flaccos hands and he still managed to toss the balls 4 times into the Pats hands, fortunately or unfortunately the ball wasnt caught n any of them.
Sanchez was no different, the Chargers dropped a couple they should've had, Sanchez wanted to give it to them, lol. Ryan was smart enough to not let his choker boy have the ball.

The jets game came down to 2 qb's, who would choke the hardest? Chargers had to pass, which moved rivers up to the top of the choking chain.
Its a shame these dumbass players can't control themselves and get personal fouls on going. the team should have a 2nd PF foul penalty in their contracts. Its unreal how many the Steelers had, now the chargers, ravens etc late in the games.

I got to root for manning one game here to destroy the jets, than have the Saints come in beat the Vikes, and run it up on the colts. Perfect storm, no one I know can have bragging rights in that situation, lol
If the jets make it, I might as well kill myself, lol

steeltheone
01-18-2010, 09:09 AM
The jets will find out this week. A rookie QB will not go to the SB...

revefsreleets
01-18-2010, 09:29 AM
I knew it was only a matter of time until somebody overstated the exception to the rule....the Jets are the only team in the playoffs that ran more than passed. They are, I think, the only running team in the NFL with a winning record...and the REAL reason they win is defense....and Sanchez NOT throwing a bunch of INT's.

But their run ends next week anyway, and it will be two passing teams in the Super Bowl.

lionslicer
01-18-2010, 09:38 AM
The jets will find out this week. A rookie QB will not go to the SB...

Colts will shut down the run, like they did the ravens, and Wacco couldn't get it done... and when Sanchez is forced to pass.... oh no. You might see 8 interceptions.

Dino 6 Rings
01-18-2010, 09:52 AM
This is very similiar to the 2004 season when the Steelers were 15-1 going into the playoffs, only we had home field advantage. So its almost a combo of the 04/05 Steelers.

in 04 and 05 we were a Run First, protect the young QB team, with a great aggressive Defense. However, in 04 when Ben Had to step up in the AFC Title game because the Pats shut down our running attack, he couldn't get the job done. Now in 05, instead of Running first against the Bengals (who had a lead on us and forced us to pass) and the Colts, who were ready for the run but didn't see the opening pass play to Miller coming at all and we ended up passing on them early and ran late, and the Broncos, who also had a 10 point lead I think, and we had to pass, and Ben did a great job, we did in fact PASS in the playoffs in the 05 year and went on to win the superbowl with Running, Trick Plays, (which we also used in the playoffs) and a great defense.

Now if the Jets go into Indy thinking the same Run only philosophy will work, well they better pray that Manning is not accurate at all early on, because if the Colts get up by 2 scores early, the Jets do not have the type of offense to over come that type of situation, much like the Rookie Ben couldn't over come the early lead by the Pats in 04.

The Jets need the game to stay close at halftime, and win it late, just like they have done in almost all their wins this year. If the game comes down to the Rookie QB having to make plays, which was the case last year with Flacco and the case in 04 with Ben, you are doomed.

Dino 6 Rings
01-18-2010, 10:05 AM
So for this post and its Sarcastic Tone, I say, someone tell the Steelers of 04 that they can't win with just running the ball and that their Rookie QB is going to need to make plays and not throw Pick 6 passes to Rodney Harrison. Also tell the Steelers of 05 that coming out throwing against the Colts was a "bad idea"

Oh and tell Flacco and the Ravens that they should have kept trying to run the ball on the Steelers last season in the AFC title game even though they were losing and time was running out.

Seriously...its all Balance people, the Jets are not balanced. The Colts set up the Run with the pass and will get some rushing yards with inside handoffs and draws against the over agressive Jets defense. At least by design they should. That's why you play the games.

ricardisimo
01-18-2010, 01:19 PM
Balance or not, and regardless of whether the Jets make the Big Show or not, it is pretty amazing to see what a team can do with a rookie QB having a pretty crappy season. Imagine what would happen on a team with a good QB with the same game plan. Of course, having Darelle Revis certainly helps.

For the record, I object to having this thread moved to General NFL. The purpose of the post was clearly Steelers-related. It might be an annoying topic to many by now, but it was indeed about the Steelers.

X-Terminator
01-18-2010, 01:34 PM
the bengals were 7th in the league...so i guess you could say they were better than average....:noidea:

Oops, should maybe look at the rankings. I believe the Bungles were also missing 2 starters. Still though, their undersized front 7 was manhandled all day by the Jets' OL and they were able to run on them at will.

pepsyman1
01-18-2010, 01:49 PM
Balance or not, and regardless of whether the Jets make the Big Show or not, it is pretty amazing to see what a team can do with a rookie QB having a pretty crappy season. Imagine what would happen on a team with a good QB with the same game plan. Of course, having Darelle Revis certainly helps.

For the record, I object to having this thread moved to General NFL. The purpose of the post was clearly Steelers-related. It might be an annoying topic to many by now, but it was indeed about the Steelers.

I agree....if you have a strong defense you see the merits of the conservative approach..it keeps you in games regardless of the competition and gives you a shot in the 4th quarter (which Cowher used to say all the time)...BUT...it's all about balance. WE came up short far too many times riding that strategy to the bitter end. Now that we have a strong passing game we NEED to take advantage of both...and use whichever approach will work in each separate circumstance.

SMR
01-18-2010, 04:06 PM
...that this is a passing league now !!! H-E-L-L-0 !!!

Everyone knows you cannot win by running the ball, playing tough D - for 60 min.

What are they trying to do ? Ruin everything or something.

You have to pass the ball to win now a days.

I'd appreciate it if someone could let them know.

Thank you.

Um....the Jets are currently on a WINNING streak.
:coffee:

Psyychoward86
01-18-2010, 04:10 PM
no matter what happens, Sanchise isnt winning a superbowl regardless

SMR
01-18-2010, 04:13 PM
Personally, I want the Vikings to win it all! :applaudit:

HometownGal
01-19-2010, 09:05 AM
I knew it was only a matter of time until somebody overstated the exception to the rule....the Jets are the only team in the playoffs that ran more than passed. They are, I think, the only running team in the NFL with a winning record...and the REAL reason they win is defense....and Sanchez NOT throwing a bunch of INT's.

But their run ends next week anyway, and it will be two passing teams in the Super Bowl.

Stop it revs. You're making too much sense. :chuckle:

HometownGal
01-19-2010, 10:20 AM
revs and MACH . . .

Gentlemen - please take a few secs and read the thread below. Thanks. :drink:

http://forums.steelersfever.com/announcement.php?f=9

Angus Burgher
01-19-2010, 02:38 PM
People can complain about the Steelers not running the ball enough if they want to. But you know what? That Jets/Chargers game was the most BOOORRRRRINNNNGGG game I've watched all year. It was so dull I quit watching for the entire third quarter and most of the fourth. Now let's be clear about something... if the Steelers played like that and won every game, of course I'd be happy. But my God, it would be agonizing sitting through that season.

revefsreleets
01-19-2010, 03:27 PM
:banging: :banging: :banging:

Gentlemen - please take a few secs and read the thread below. Thanks. :drink:

http://forums.steelersfever.com/announcement.php?f=9

To be fair, I posted a general barb, and his response was to pretty much directly call me an arrogant prick....which is pretty typical of all these dudes....

I'm going to try and take the high road, but when there's a direct affront like that....well.....

fansince'76
01-19-2010, 03:28 PM
People can complain about the Steelers not running the ball enough if they want to. But you know what? That Jets/Chargers game was the most BOOORRRRRINNNNGGG game I've watched all year. It was so dull I quit watching for the entire third quarter and most of the fourth. Now let's be clear about something... if the Steelers played like that and won every game, of course I'd be happy. But my God, it would be agonizing sitting through that season.

That game, and more specifically, the Jets' gameplan was pretty much a microcosm of the Cowher Era. And when the Colts stack 8-9 in the box and force Sanchez to beat them and the Jets duly bow out this Sunday as a result, that will be pretty much another microcosm of the Cowher Era.

HometownGal
01-19-2010, 04:06 PM
I'm going to try and take the high road, but when there's a direct affront like that....well.....

That's what we want to hear around here. :drink:

When there is another "direct affront" like that, it will be dealt with. If you continue the "affront" after it has been handled, that will be dealt with as well.

SMR
01-19-2010, 05:33 PM
I like boxes of chocolates- yummmmmmmmmy!!

:wave:

(Just trying to ease the tension!)

:chuckle:

St33lersguy
01-19-2010, 06:05 PM
If it takes throwing the ball to win in this league how come throwing the ball cost the steelers a playoff spot

MasterOfPuppets
01-19-2010, 10:35 PM
If it takes throwing the ball to win in this league how come throwing the ball cost the steelers a playoff spot
well, you actually gotta score tds in addition....:popcorn:

tony hipchest
01-19-2010, 11:08 PM
That game, and more specifically, the Jets' gameplan was pretty much a microcosm of the Cowher Era. And when the Colts stack 8-9 in the box and force Sanchez to beat them and the Jets duly bow out this Sunday as a result, that will be pretty much another microcosm of the Cowher Era.the jets will lose this weekend because their rookie qb will be forced to throw the ball. doing that against p. manning is like bringing a knife to a gunfight.

they have to play cowherball out of necessity. i sure woulda loved to see how cowherball woulda looked with about 6 years of chad pennington and a year of favre though (instead of kordell).

it is fair to note that cowher also lost with 'air o'donnell" and "air maddox".

it was always the qb's who failed cowher, not his offensive philosophy. as soon as he finally got a good qb, he won it all with the sophmore.

MattsMe
01-20-2010, 01:43 AM
it was always the qb's who failed cowher, not his offensive philosophy. as soon as he finally got a good qb, he won it all with the sophmore.

GREAT point.

That, and that alone, in my opinion, makes Cowher the greatest coach of the last 20 years, and in my opinion, quite possibly one of the top 5 coaches of all time.

But then again, what do I know?

ricardisimo
01-20-2010, 01:53 AM

And of course he won it with running and stout D, despite a truly hideous performance by that sophomore. But that was ancient history. We're in a passing league now.

We're also in the NFL Football Forum now, so stop talking about the Steelers already. :wink02:

fansince'76
01-20-2010, 02:04 AM
the jets will lose this weekend because their rookie qb will be forced to throw the ball. doing that against p. manning is like bringing a knife to a gunfight.

they have to play cowherball out of necessity. i sure woulda loved to see how cowherball woulda looked with about 6 years of chad pennington and a year of favre though (instead of kordell).

it is fair to note that cowher also lost with 'air o'donnell" and "air maddox".

You're preaching to the choir here.

No, they lost all those AFCCGs and SB XXX primarily because of subpar QB play.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=240182&highlight=subpar#post240182

I didn't mention it as an indictment of Cowher's coaching or philosophy, I mentioned it because the other poster said it was "boring." Must've been bored to tears for about 15 years, then. That's all.