PDA

View Full Version : Better Enjoy the 2010 season while you can.

Edman
01-18-2010, 02:05 PM
According to Peter King, the labor talks aren't looking too hot.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/01/17/mmqb/1.html

The negotiations for a new labor agreement couldn't be going any worse.

If the past few days, I've spoken to sources on both sides of the labor talks, and I've come to the conclusion that it'll be an upset if there isn't a work stoppage that either delays or cancels the 2011 season. Many of us in the media have speculated about the chances for a lockout and predicted one is coming, but the total lack of progress over the nut issue in 11 bargaining sessions tells me unless there's a sea-change by one side or the other, you'd better savor the 2010 season because it could be the last football we see for a while.

At the core of the problem is ownership's demand for players to bear an equal part of the cost for stadium construction, debt service and upkeep -- and the players saying it's not their problem. In NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith's recent e-mail to player representatives, he startled player leaders by saying ownership wanted to cut player compensation by 18 percent per year in the new CBA.

An incompetant commish putting flash over substance, obsession with a market that could care less about our football, dumb owners paying a boatload for unproven rookies, Greed, plenty of blame to go around if this falls out and we're without a 2011 season.

revefsreleets
01-18-2010, 02:13 PM
DeMaurice Smith isn't helping helping things. He's a DC beltway insider, friendly with Obama and Eric Holder, and was (yick!) a trial lawyer prior to this. The NFLPA hired a pit bull with this guy, and he'll make this process long and difficult.

fansince'76
01-18-2010, 02:30 PM
Considering the blithering idiot that is currently running the NFL and who is ostensibly spearheading negotiations on behalf of "Management" (owners), I pretty much kissed the 2011 season goodbye to a lockout when the owners opted out of the CBA almost two years ago.

steelreserve
01-18-2010, 03:21 PM
Wow, they're all feeding at the fattest trough in the history of organized sports, and they STILL find a reason to turn on each other and ruin it all in the process? They must be dumber than I thought.

Of course, given the, uh ... "developmentally disabled" state of the league's current leadership, I guess this should come as a surprise to no one.

WeegiesWarriors
01-18-2010, 03:22 PM
According to Peter King, the labor talks aren't looking too hot.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/01/17/mmqb/1.html

At the core of the problem is ownership's demand for players to bear an equal part of the cost for stadium construction, debt service and upkeep -- and the players saying it's not their problem. In NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith's recent e-mail to player representatives, he startled player leaders by saying ownership wanted to cut player compensation by 18 percent per year in the new CBA.

The owner of the company I work for now is building a new company building. I'd laugh in his face if he told me I was to help pay for construction. I have to side with the union on this one. A football stadium doesn't have to be like the monstrosity that Jerry Jones built. There is no need for a 7-story high video monitor above the playing field.

supa_fly_steeler
01-18-2010, 03:29 PM
If Rodger Goodell is the cause of this when he come to england in october he dead :D

Edman
01-20-2010, 08:21 AM
The owner of the company I work for now is building a new company building. I'd laugh in his face if he told me I was to help pay for construction. I have to side with the union on this one. A football stadium doesn't have to be like the monstrosity that Jerry Jones built. There is no need for a 7-story high video monitor above the playing field.

Wether who's side you're on or not...

It's a major clusterf*ck in the head of the NFL. Like I said, there will be plenty of blame to go around if the NFL goes to the tank much like the NHL and MLB. And the story is all the same.

steelpride12
01-20-2010, 08:28 AM
Ya the NFL is due sadly. There are always idiots in the group and with this dumb a$$ running the league we are in no shape to get for a new labor agreement. Get ready its coming.

steelerdave1969
01-20-2010, 08:55 AM
I really think that the owners have let this get out of hand. I think the players, Especially the Rookies are making way too much money. But I do think that the owners should get a little more of the money that what they have been getting, but Not the 18% that they are demanding... thats crazy. A rookie salary cap has got to be established for alot of reasons. Alot of the Rookies and they are very UnProven are making alot more money than the 5 year veterans that are superstars.. and thats Not Right.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-20-2010, 09:52 AM
1. The new head of the union seems like a guy that doesn't want to make concessions for the sake of getting a deal done. He wants all or nothing for the players, and the owners aren't having that, nor should they. I think if he were willing to concede somewhat, the owners would be willing to also.

2. In no way should the players have to help pay for the construction of new stadiums. The players will play in whatever is provided for them. The owners want new stadiums to generate new income. That's not the problem of the players, that's the problem of owners and cities/states.

3. Jerry Jones and Daniel Snyder are bad for the NFL. They don't have the NFL in mind, just themselves. They want the NFL to turn into MLB where only a select few teams have the ability to sign the big-name free agents (Dallas=Yankees, Washington=Red Sox) and then the rest of the league is left with mid-range to bad players to pick from. They want the revenue sharing system gone and they want the salary cap gone.

4. The union says once the salary cap is gone, it won't come back. They also don't want a salary cap/slotting system for rookies. Both of these are stupid ideas. The salary cap is part of what makes the NFL exciting because it levels the playing field. In the NBA you can go above the salary cap, you just have to pay the luxury tax. MLB doesn't have a salary cap, just a luxury tax threshold.

The union doesn't represent college players. So why are they so against a rookie salary cap/slotting system. The top 10 rookies take up so much of the team's salary cap it makes it so hard for the teams to really build. Matthew Stafford should not be making more than Brett Favre, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning. A rookie cap system would make sure that the veterans get the piece of the pie they deserve, not rookies who have never taken even a preseason game snap.

5. A lockout would really hurt the NFL's image. The NBA has just now just started to really recover from their last work stoppage. In the current economy, the look of billionaire owners bickering with millionaire athletes looks even worse. People today are out of jobs, losing their homes, losing their vehicles, and losing their families. Do I put food on the table this week or do I pay the rent/house payment/electric/gas/car payment/auto insurance? If the NFL stops play because the rich athletes and owners can't come to an agreement in how much of the huge NFL pie they get, a lot of people won't come back.

I may end up being one of those people myself, and I love my Steelers and my football. But I don't have medical insurance because I can't afford it. But the owners and players are fighting over money, and it honestly makes me sick.

Bng_Hevn
01-20-2010, 11:29 AM

Does the building cost $800million to $1.2billion? Does he "need" the new building to sell admission to your customers in order to pay for your salary?

Apples and Oranges.

I say let the lockout begin and for the teams to rebuild with players who appreciate the game first, the money second.

Some would argue the level of talent in a lockout season but I say there is plenty of talent out there to be had. Just because a player is in the NFL does *not* mean he is the best available. There are many people on the street today who, if given the chance, could easily play at the NFL level.

You want to be spoiled greedy little brats, hold out. If I were the owners I'd plan to re-buld the teams and show that the players are not above the NFL.

fansince'76
01-20-2010, 12:59 PM
You want to be spoiled greedy little brats, hold out. If I were the owners I'd plan to re-buld the teams and show that the players are not above the NFL.

I'm inclined to agree with this. I'm also gonna laugh if this shakes out like the NBA lockout about ten years ago did - the owners make an offer, the players refuse, a protracted lockout ensues and the players are finally forced to come crawling back and accept an even worse offer than the one they originally turned down. And it'll serve them right if it happens.

OneForTheToe
01-20-2010, 11:58 PM
Bring on the CFL, eh.

I have been saying for a while that there would be a lockout. I remember a quote from "The Godfather," wherein Micheal is talking to one of his lieutenants on the verge of a big mafia war. The lieutenant relates that these sort of wars are necessary every ten years or so to release the pressure and sort things out.

I think the same about labor relations. Tension builds over time, even when the labor agreement is being extended. After a while the two side have to go to war to relese tensions and sort things out. Sad for fans but true.

I think adding to the problem is the fact that we have a new Comish and a new Union Head, neither of which want to be seen as weak during their first labor negotiation.

I believe there will be a lockout for most or all of the 2011 season. Then, a compromise will be reached that calls any salary control mechanism called something other than a salary cap, so the Union cans save face. The salary cap, or whatever it is called, will be less stringent than the one in place now for most players. However, I believe there will be a hard cap on rookie salaries. I don't care what the Union claims. There is no way the majority of veteran players are in favor of Jamarcus Russel getting 50 million (or whatever it was) in guaranteed money before he proves he can play in this league.

Oh well

Go Saskatchewan Roughriders.:thumbsup:

MasterOfPuppets
01-21-2010, 12:11 AM
bring on the scabs....:tt03:

stillers4me
01-21-2010, 05:12 AM
Wher are you, Dan Rooney, when we need you?

steelerdude15
01-23-2010, 11:21 PM
At the core of the problem is ownership's demand for players to bear an equal part of the cost for stadium construction, debt service and upkeep -- and the players saying it's not their problem.
I completely agree that players should pay some of the money for the stadium. They use the damn stadium and should help keep it up. It's any football team's home and when we live in our home, we put money into it to make it look nice and they have millions. And another thing, some of the players or "punks" don't even deserve to make millions or even play in the NFL for that matter. I'm sorry, but you don't need to make million dollars to catch a ball, anybody can catch a ball. I also agree that Goodell just sucks... GO STEELERS! :tt02:

SH-Rock
01-23-2010, 11:30 PM
Things aren't looking good

Kanata-Steeler
01-24-2010, 12:11 PM
If this truly happens... ?
then well..., anyone remeber the NHL Hockey labour-dispute lockout of 2004/5 !?,
'Cause that pretty-well "KILLED" the NHL -it's slowly coming back, but the NHL will "never" reach the sports status that it once enjoyed in the past. It poisoned itself to the fans permanently.
So, I hope all these NFL money-hungry-eeediots, and I mean all of them, be it Management, Union, players REALLY give this some real serious thought, before they utterly screw it up FOREVER.
....the NFL would never be the same again. if they allow that kind of thing to happen, as it did in the now (might-as-well-be), DEFUNCT NHL
:{

hopefully this never happens.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is why Roger Goddell should be replaced with the last "REAL" Father of the NFL, postumously named "DAN ROONEY". Dan would fix everything up.
"... Come home oh Danny boy, come home ..."
:)

:tt: