PDA

View Full Version : Steelers must re-sign Reed

mesaSteeler
01-19-2010, 05:49 AM
Steelers must re-sign Reed
Tuesday, January 19, 2010
By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10019/1029240-87.stm

As the CBS television cameras showed San Diego Chargers kicker Nate Kaeding making the long, slow, agonizing walk toward the team's locker room Sunday night and the premature start of another difficult offseason, one thought kept coming to mind:

Somewhere, Jeff Reed must be smiling.

Like a butcher's dog, actually.

It's not as if Reed takes pleasure from Kaeding's pain. NFL kickers make up a small, close-knit fraternity. When one has a rotten day -- as Kaeding did in the Chargers' shocking 17-14 playoff loss to the touchdown-underdog New York Jets -- they all share in the hurt. Each man knows if he kicks long enough, there's a good chance he's going to be in those cleats one day.

But Reed's value as a kicker never seemed greater than when the All-Pro Kaeding missed a 40-yard field-goal attempt with 4:38 left and the Chargers trailing, 17-7. It was Kaeding's third miss of the day. The man who is the most accurate kicker in NFL history, had missed just three kicks all season and had made 69 in a row from 40 yards-and-in also missed from 36 and 57 yards earlier in the game. It might have been the biggest postseason collapse by a kicker since former Steeler Gary Anderson missed for the Minnesota Vikings from 38 yards in the Metrodome in the 1998 NFC championship game, denying the Vikings a trip to Super Bowl XXXIII. Anderson had been 39 for 39 to that point.

"I'm not gonna feel sorry for myself," Kaeding said. "I feel sorry for my teammates, coaches and support staff here. I feel like I let everybody down."

It wasn't just Kaeding, who had a rough time in these playoffs. Arizona's Neil Rackers missed from 34 yards at the end of regulation against the Green Bay Packers Jan. 10 in a game the Cardinals were fortunate to win in overtime. Cincinnati's Shayne Graham missed from 42 and 28 yards in the second half of the Bengals' 24-14 loss to the Jets a day earlier, prompting Bengals coach Marvin Lewis to say, "It is a shame, and it killed us."

I'm thinking Reed would have made all of those kicks. He's that good. He's that dependable.

I'm also thinking the Steelers need to do whatever it takes to keep Reed before he can become an unrestricted free agent March 1. Putting the franchise or transition tag on him are options. Doing a long-term contract with him is a better choice.

Yes, Reed comes with baggage. He has had two highly publicized, alcohol-related incidents in the past year. He faces a preliminary hearing Feb. 11 in Allegheny County Municipal Court for misdemeanor charges of simple assault and resisting arrest and summary charges of public drunkenness and disorderly conduct after an incident Oct. 18 outside McFadden's Bar on the North Side after the Steelers' game with the Cleveland Browns. Last February, he pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct and criminal mischief charges after police said he beat up a towel dispenser and harassed employees at the Sheetz store in New Alexandria.

Reed and his agent have disputed the charges in the more recent incident, agent Don Henderson saying that Reed "basically got attacked by the police." No matter what happened that night, it's nice to think it sobered up Reed and made him realize he has to do a better job watching his behavior under the bright public spotlight. It's nice to think he won't be an embarrassment to himself, his family and his team again.

As despicable as the two incidents might have been, they shouldn't stop the Steelers from doing a new deal with Reed if they are convinced he has matured. Certainly, the incidents won't stop other NFL teams from approaching him. A great kicker isn't easy to find, especially one who has proved he can kick in poor weather conditions and on less-than-perfect turf at Heinz Field. Ten of the 32 NFL clubs used at least two kickers this season.

Reed had his Kaeding moment -- on a much lesser scale -- when he missed from 38 and 43 yards in the Steelers' 17-14 loss Sept. 20 to the Chicago Bears. There's no reason to think he'll have another any time soon. After that game in Chicago, he finished the season by making 25 of 27 field-goal tries, the misses from 52 and 53 yards. He also has made 16 consecutive postseason kicks, going back to his rookie season in 2002.

What the Chargers and Bengals would have given to have Reed in these playoffs.

The Steelers must find a way to keep him.
Ron Cook can be reached at rcook@post-gazette.com. More articles by this author
First published on January 19, 2010 at 12:00 am

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10019/1029240-87.stm#ixzz0d3fBCZoR

HometownGal
01-19-2010, 07:17 AM
Can I hear an AMEN? :applaudit:

CanadianSteel
01-19-2010, 09:03 AM
I would also like to keep Skippy, he is money at heinz field and is a very good field goal kicker.... would like top see deeper kick-offs but oh well....Depending on what happens with other players I would place the transision tag or francise tag on him if a new deal cannot be reached to keep him around for another year.

SteelGhost
01-19-2010, 09:19 AM

AMEN Sista' :chuckle:

Skippy is money in FG's ....but.... we need him to improve his kick-offs, DSep to KO, or get another kicker for that purpose, IMHO.

Merchant
01-19-2010, 11:02 AM
It sucks that Kaeding, Rackers, and Graham probably made Reed's market price a lot higher than it would have been if they had made those kicks. In general it has just been a bad year for Kickers... (add Nick Folk, Sean Suisham, etc.) to that list. Other than then Chicago game, Reed has had a standout year. But hopefully we can re-sign him at a reasonable price.

JEFF4i
01-19-2010, 11:10 AM
Have to keep him, it's amazing how poor the kicking was in 09-10, but look at Reed's 4 missed.

2 in the Bears. Irritating, but forgiveable. Cross-conference game.
2 Outside of 50. He may not have the best leg, but outside of 50 is never easy.

*shrug*

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-19-2010, 11:37 AM
I respect the opinion of those who want to keep Reed, but I lean to the other side.

I am appreciative of everything that he has done for us but I just cant see locking Skippy in for a 3-4 year contract.

There are two kickers in this draft that have very good accuracy and both have a stronger leg than Reed. Does Reed know how to play the Heinz Field winds? Sure. But by using that logic we can NEVER get another kicker.

I think its time to move past Reed, who even though has proved his worth on the field in the past, now overestimates his own value. I will take the expected one years growing pains with a new kicker before I wrap up Reed and his off field antics for 4 years.

Just my opinion.

X-Terminator
01-19-2010, 11:53 AM
I respect the opinion of those who want to keep Reed, but I lean to the other side.

I am appreciative of everything that he has done for us but I just cant see locking Skippy in for a 3-4 year contract.

There are two kickers in this draft that have very good accuracy and both have a stronger leg than Reed. Does Reed know how to play the Heinz Field winds? Sure. But by using that logic we can NEVER get another kicker.

I think its time to move past Reed, who even though has proved his worth on the field in the past, now overestimates his own value. I will take the expected one years growing pains with a new kicker before I wrap up Reed and his off field antics for 4 years.

Just my opinion.

That's all well and good, but when that young kicker misses a FG and the Steelers lose, you'll be one of the very few who will give him a pass on it. Sorry, I'd rather keep the proven guy around rather than take a chance on a rookie who, while he was good in college, may not be as good once they make it to the show.

And Reed's off the field stuff is being way overblown. If we're going to start judging the worth of players based on that, then we may as well get rid of half the league.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-19-2010, 12:23 PM
That's all well and good, but when that young kicker misses a FG and the Steelers lose, you'll be one of the very few who will give him a pass on it.

I have lived through "growing pains" before. I can handle them again.

And Reed's off the field stuff is being way overblown. If we're going to start judging the worth of players based on that, then we may as well get rid of half the league

To be honest, one of the reasons that I love the Steelers is that they traditionally havent been like the rest of the league. Skippy just doesnt fit into my own personal image of what I want our players to be like. (And to be honest...since I work in Law Enforcement...Skippy's little posturing act to the cops makes me want to stick a tazer up his ass.....so it could very well be a personal thing).

01-19-2010, 12:54 PM
I am all for keeping Reed, but at what price. Last I read somewhere he wanted an avg. salary of $2.5M, for a kicker. Is he really worth it? Nothing against Reed, but kickers in general are an eratic bunch. The wheels could fall off for him, just as easily as any other kicker. I, also do not like the fact that his kickoffs are NEVER touchbacks, NEVER. If I'm the Steelers FO, I make him a fair offer, and if he walks, he walks. No way do I overpay for a kicker. As for FAs, Reed is not at the very top of my list. I am more worried about Hampton, Colon, maybe Clark , and then Reed.

steelreserve
01-19-2010, 01:04 PM

That's pretty much the heart of the matter. People are still so scared of Kris Brown that they think any kicker other than Reed is going to be like that. Well, no. Reed's better than Brown or any of the other fill-ins we had after Gary Anderson, but THERE ARE OTHER KICKERS WHO ARE JUST AS GOOD.

After the last couple weeks, it's also suddenly become fashionable to say that since OMG, Nate Keading and Shawn Graham missed some field goals, it proves that OMG, all the elite kickers in the league are unreliable -- except Reed, of course. They even take great pains to point out JUST HOW GOOD Keading or Graham are ... it's like "OK, we'll go to great lengths to prove that ANY kicker is vulnerable -- and now turn around and say that doesn't apply to our guy, because Reed somehow magically gets an exemption."

Whatever. We can keep Reed or we can lose him as far as I'm concerned, but people just need to get the hell over it and realize that one day we're going to have a new kicker and it probably isn't going to make a drastic difference.

X-Terminator
01-19-2010, 01:22 PM
I have lived through "growing pains" before. I can handle them again.

You can. And I can too. But many in the rest of our fanbase has shown that they can't, especially recently. Many of them can't understand or accept that sometimes rookies screw up, and some of those screw-ups may end up hurting the team. That's why I said in another thread that if the team wants more young players to get into the lineup sooner, then the majority of the fans need to understand that mistakes are going to happen and that it's part of the learning process.

To be honest, one of the reasons that I love the Steelers is that they traditionally havent been like the rest of the league. Skippy just doesnt fit into my own personal image of what I want our players to be like. (And to be honest...since I work in Law Enforcement...Skippy's little posturing act to the cops makes me want to stick a tazer up his ass.....so it could very well be a personal thing).

Well, he is fighting that charge, so take that for what it's worth. Anyway, you are correct that the Steelers do have an image to uphold and I am glad that, for the most part, they maintain that image. But they are not squeaky clean by any stretch of the imagination and I don't pretend that they aren't (not saying you do).

markymarc
01-19-2010, 03:28 PM
I agree and really hope they can bring back Jeff Reed.

illmatic
01-19-2010, 04:06 PM
I definitely agree, bring him back. I don't understand all the criticism against him. People like to blame a couple of losses this season on him, but no kicker is perfect, and Jeff Reed is on the higher end of good kickers in the league

Psyychoward86
01-19-2010, 04:11 PM
There's someone on these forums that insists that there is no such thing as "playoff pressure." When will they learn. If we keep him, i just hope he gets better at kicking the ball off

SuzyPeppercorn
01-19-2010, 04:14 PM
I hope they resign Reed for a reasonable price but don't overpay for him. I sure would hate to see a rookie kicker in there next year when the game is on the line.

If does come down to getting a rookie kicker, hopefully we can find a hidden gem.

truesteelerfan
01-19-2010, 04:16 PM
We should make him a fair offer....certainly not paying him higher than the other 31 kickers in the league....but we should be fair....If he doesn't like that offer, we can let him go....and yes, find a replacement elsewhere....how good was Pitr (sorry if spelling is wrong) this is our practice squad...last preseason.

However if we do resign him...does anybody know if our punter can kick off? He has some down time now, how bout seeing if he can give it a shot...can't do much worse, and he has a strong enough leg.

Angus Burgher
01-19-2010, 04:53 PM
I don't know what to do about Reed, really. He's such an amazing field goal kicker (I'm just going to forget that Chicago game ever happened) but he's gotten pretty bad on kickoffs. Ordinarily, I'd say show the guy the door; it's not too hard to find a good kicker who can do both.

But after watching SO many kickers blow field goals (and ultimately, games) this season, I'm starting to realize how blessed we are to have Jeff.

stillers4me
01-19-2010, 04:56 PM
I understand about growing pains, and all teams will go through them. I just don't want someone like a rookie kicker to going through his growing pains while we have the likes of Ben, Troy, Holmes, Miller, Wallace, Harrison, etc. The window of opportunity is is growing smaller with each year. After Ben is gone, who knows how long we will be looking for the next great Steelers QB. ( and that time may come sooner than we think if he continues to get a concussion every season)

rich4eagle
01-19-2010, 04:56 PM

As the CBS television cameras showed San Diego Chargers kicker Nate Kaeding making the long, slow, agonizing walk toward the team's locker room Sunday night and the premature start of another difficult offseason, one thought kept coming to mind:

It's not as if Reed takes pleasure from Kaeding's pain. NFL kickers make up a small, close-knit fraternity. When one has a rotten day -- as Kaeding did in the Chargers' shocking 17-14 playoff loss to the touchdown-underdog New York Jets -- they all share in the hurt. Each man knows if he kicks long enough, there's a good chance he's going to be in those cleats one day.

But Reed's value as a kicker never seemed greater than when the All-Pro Kaeding missed a 40-yard field-goal attempt with 4:38 left and the Chargers trailing, 17-7. It was Kaeding's third miss of the day. The man who is the most accurate kicker in NFL history, had missed just three kicks all season and had made 69 in a row from 40 yards-and-in also missed from 36 and 57 yards earlier in the game. It might have been the biggest postseason collapse by a kicker since former Steeler Gary Anderson missed for the Minnesota Vikings from 38 yards in the Metrodome in the 1998 NFC championship game, denying the Vikings a trip to Super Bowl XXXIII. Anderson had been 39 for 39 to that point.

"I'm not gonna feel sorry for myself," Kaeding said. "I feel sorry for my teammates, coaches and support staff here. I feel like I let everybody down."

It wasn't just Kaeding, who had a rough time in these playoffs. Arizona's Neil Rackers missed from 34 yards at the end of regulation against the Green Bay Packers Jan. 10 in a game the Cardinals were fortunate to win in overtime. Cincinnati's Shayne Graham missed from 42 and 28 yards in the second half of the Bengals' 24-14 loss to the Jets a day earlier, prompting Bengals coach Marvin Lewis to say, "It is a shame, and it killed us."

I'm thinking Reed would have made all of those kicks. He's that good. He's that dependable.

I'm also thinking the Steelers need to do whatever it takes to keep Reed before he can become an unrestricted free agent March 1. Putting the franchise or transition tag on him are options. Doing a long-term contract with him is a better choice.

Yes, Reed comes with baggage. He has had two highly publicized, alcohol-related incidents in the past year. He faces a preliminary hearing Feb. 11 in Allegheny County Municipal Court for misdemeanor charges of simple assault and resisting arrest and summary charges of public drunkenness and disorderly conduct after an incident Oct. 18 outside McFadden's Bar on the North Side after the Steelers' game with the Cleveland Browns. Last February, he pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct and criminal mischief charges after police said he beat up a towel dispenser and harassed employees at the Sheetz store in New Alexandria.

Reed and his agent have disputed the charges in the more recent incident, agent Don Henderson saying that Reed "basically got attacked by the police." No matter what happened that night, it's nice to think it sobered up Reed and made him realize he has to do a better job watching his behavior under the bright public spotlight. It's nice to think he won't be an embarrassment to himself, his family and his team again.

As despicable as the two incidents might have been, they shouldn't stop the Steelers from doing a new deal with Reed if they are convinced he has matured. Certainly, the incidents won't stop other NFL teams from approaching him. A great kicker isn't easy to find, especially one who has proved he can kick in poor weather conditions and on less-than-perfect turf at Heinz Field. Ten of the 32 NFL clubs used at least two kickers this season.

Reed had his Kaeding moment -- on a much lesser scale -- when he missed from 38 and 43 yards in the Steelers' 17-14 loss Sept. 20 to the Chicago Bears. There's no reason to think he'll have another any time soon. After that game in Chicago, he finished the season by making 25 of 27 field-goal tries, the misses from 52 and 53 yards. He also has made 16 consecutive postseason kicks, going back to his rookie season in 2002.

why he lost two games by himself and never won a single,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,game,,,,,,,,,,,,

he is useless on kickoffs

Psyychoward86
01-19-2010, 05:21 PM
why he lost two games by himself and never won a single,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,game,,,,,,,,,,,,

http://skepticalteacher.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/facepalm1.jpg

Galax Steeler
01-20-2010, 04:52 AM
Sooner or later we are going to have to replace Reed. Like LLT said they are a couple of good ones in the draft why not try and get one and start grooming him to replace Reed when we decide to let him go.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-20-2010, 05:24 AM
Just to put things into perspective.

I WOULD sign Reed, but not at the price he is asking. He has seriously overvalued his worth and as I said before, his off-field crap takes AWAY from his value as far as I am concerned.

As far as any fear that those in the forum may have in regards to the possibility of us having to start next season with a rookie...here is some food for thought.

Comparing (rookie) kicker Ryan Succop to (veteran) Jeff Reed.

1-19 yards
Succop 100%
Reed 100%

20-29 yards
Succop 100%
Reed 100%

30-39 yards
Succop 100%
Reed 94%

40-49 yards
Succop 86%
Reed 80%

50+ yards
Succop 40%
Reed 0%

I'm just asking that we all be honest with ourselves about Skippy. The truth of the matter is that when having to kick a FG past 40 yards...Reed is the #23 ranked kicker in the NFL.

In regards to TB's on Kickoffs he is ranked #29. (He had 3...David Buehler from Dallas had 29)

In regards to Kickoff average (59.8) he is ranked #33 ...not a typo...#33, which means that someones backups or replacement kickers did better than he did

Sure, sign him. But only for what he is worth. Not what he thinks he is worth. Otherwise we all need to take a long hard look at the draft.

zulater
01-20-2010, 06:17 AM

I WOULD sign Reed, but not at the price he is asking. He has seriously overvalued his worth and as I said before, his off-field crap takes AWAY from his value as far as I am concerned.

As far as any fear that those in the forum may have in regards to the possibility of us having to start next season with a rookie...here is some food for thought.

1-19 yards
Succop 100%
Reed 100%

20-29 yards
Succop 100%
Reed 100%

30-39 yards
Succop 100%
Reed 94%

40-49 yards
Succop 86%
Reed 80%

50+ yards
Succop 40%
Reed 0%

I'm just asking that we all be honest with ourselves about Skippy. The truth of the matter is that when having to kick a FG past 40 yards...Reed is the #23 ranked kicker in the NFL.

In regards to TB's on Kickoffs he is ranked #29. (He had 3...David Buehler from Dallas had 29)

In regards to Kickoff average (59.8) he is ranked #33 ...not a typo...#33, which means that someones backups or replacement kickers did better than he did

Sure, sign him. But only for what he is worth. Not what he thinks he is worth. Otherwise we all need to take a long hard look at the draft.

The kid had a nice rookie season. But he only had the game riding on his foot once all season. That being when he kicked the game winning 22 yard fg in OT
vs. the Steelers. Not to diminish what he did, but kicking a 22 yarder isn't exactly earth shattering, and doesn't go much towards proving him to be reliable in the clutch.

Besides I don't think the Chiefs plan on releasing the kid to accomadate us if Reed flies the coop.

Now if your point is that you can get a kicker with the last pick of the draft you're right. Hell I'll even go you one further than that, the Steelers found Reed in the middle of the season at a free-agent tryout camp.

But just as you can't bank the future of your franchise on getting your qb ( if you need one) after the 5th round because the Patriots got Brady in the 6th round, you can't expect to go the the scrap heap again and find a reliable field goal kicker.

Bottom line is that there probably isn't a team in the NFL that plays more close games than the Steelers. The Steelers are a team with expectations, therefore there's very few throwaway fg's when you're their kicker. In other words you can take a Kris Brown kicking for a Texan team for years with no expectations of being in the playoffs, and he'll knock everything inside of 55 yards in nine out of ten times. But put him on that same team, andt they actually have a real chance to make the playoffs, and he starts gagging every other kick after half time.

You just can't assume how real pressure will affect someone who's never been there. You've got a proven quanity in Reed, do you really gamble your next season on someone with no track record?

Oh and by all means get a kickoff specialist to do those duties. No doubt Reed is sub par in that area.

SteelerFanInStl
01-20-2010, 08:00 AM

1-19 yards
Succop 100%
Reed 100%

20-29 yards
Succop 100%
Reed 100%

30-39 yards
Succop 100%
Reed 94%

40-49 yards
Succop 86%
Reed 80%

50+ yards
Succop 40%
Reed 0%

:iagree: 100% IMO there's nothing more that needs to be said on this.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-20-2010, 08:00 AM
The kid had a nice rookie season. But he only had the game riding on his foot once all season. That being when he kicked the game winning 22 yard fg in OT
vs. the Steelers. Not to diminish what he did, but kicking a 22 yarder isn't exactly earth shattering....

No it isnt . But Succop kicked a 53 yarder this year and the longest that Reed kicked was 46 yards (which means 30 kickers connected on longer field goals then Reed)

Besides I don't think the Chiefs plan on releasing the kid to accomadate us if Reed flies the coop.

Not sure where you are going with this...I never mentioned a trade. I am just showing that we can survive a season with rookie kicker.

Now if your point is that you can get a kicker with the last pick of the draft you're right. Hell I'll even go you one further than that, the Steelers found Reed in the middle of the season at a free-agent tryout camp.

But just as you can't bank the future of your franchise on getting your qb ( if you need one) after the 5th round because the Patriots got Brady in the 6th round, you can't expect to go the the scrap heap again and find a reliable field goal kicker.

If Reed keeps up his demands, I think the correct course is to draft Leigh Tiffin from Alabama with a late 5th round pick. IF we wait until the 7th I would take a gamble on Aaron Pettrey of Ohio State...who was my first choice before his surgery.

Bottom line is that there probably isn't a team in the NFL that plays more close games than the Steelers.

Actually that is not true... The Panthers,Broncos, Dolphins, and Giants all have the distinction of beating us in that category this year.

You just can't assume how real pressure will affect someone who's never been there. You've got a proven quanity in Reed, do you really gamble your next season on someone with no track record?

Oh and by all means get a kickoff specialist to do those duties. No doubt Reed is sub par in that area

As I have said...Reed should go ONLY if he continues to overvalue his worth. If he demands more than a FO would think to be prudent...then yes, the answer is you gamble on a rookie or bring in a FA.

steelpride12
01-20-2010, 08:04 AM
Reed is def. a must sign and this team wants him to stay there is no doubt about that, but the money he is asking for is just too much.
Reed's skills are just not as they were. He can't get the ball in the endzone in kickoffs, and any field goal over 45 yards in pretty much out of his range anymore.

There is just too much potential in the league for him and as well in the NFL draft this season.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-20-2010, 10:19 AM

1-19 yards
Succop 100%
Reed 100%

20-29 yards
Succop 100%
Reed 100%

30-39 yards
Succop 100%
Reed 94%

40-49 yards
Succop 86%
Reed 80%

50+ yards
Succop 40%
Reed 0%

Skippy Hater!!!! :chair: I bet you like Jif instead.

zulater
01-20-2010, 10:24 AM
Reed is def. a must sign and this team wants him to stay there is no doubt about that, but the money he is asking for is just too much.

Really? Got a link? Because as far as I know they haven't even opened up discussions on his next contract? :noidea:

Reed's skills are just not as they were. He can't get the ball in the endzone in kickoffs.

Granted.

, and any field goal over 45 yards in pretty much out of his range anymore.

and we know this because...? The truth is the situation just didn't arise this year where Reed was asked to kick one between 47-50 yards. The year before he was pretty good between 45-50, so I really don't think his leg is capped at 46.

There is just too much potential in the league for him and as well in the NFL draft this season.

I've seen many a hot shot college kicker who aren't worth squat in the NFL. They might look good in august, but you really don't find out what they're about until you're in a wind blown nip and tuck divisional game in Novemember. You lose that game because your kicker can't find the uprights from 38 yards don't come crying to me afterwards.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-20-2010, 10:49 AM
Skippy Hater!!!! :chair: I bet you like Jif instead.

:rofl:

No...I just try and look at our team from the viewpoint of value/talent...understanding that there is an actual budget that has to be accounted for.

SteelMember
01-20-2010, 11:07 AM
Really? Got a link? Because as far as I know they haven't even opened up discussions on his next contract?

September 9, 2009

Jeff Reed Turns Down Steelers' Offer (http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/sports/20816168/detail.html)

The "speculation" is that he wants close to 3 million per...

zulater
01-20-2010, 11:18 AM
September 9, 2009

Jeff Reed Turns Down Steelers' Offer (http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/sports/20816168/detail.html)

The "speculation" is that he wants close to 3 million per...

Well that's just it, that's speculation isn't it? Nowhere in that link provided does it say what the Steelers offered and what Jeff asked for.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3911555

Granted though, close to 3 million is just about what Jeff would get if the Steelers tagged him. This up from 1.3 million this past season. I really don't see that as an outrageous sum of money in this day and age. Charlie Batch gets close to that probably? :noidea:

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-20-2010, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by zulater
Really? Got a link? Because as far as I know they haven't even opened up discussions on his next contract?

Jeff Reed Turns Down Steelers' Offer
http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/sports/20816168/detail.html

They made him a fair offer before the season and, as I said, he thought that his value was higher than the it really is.

and we know this because...? The truth is the situation just didn't arise this year where Reed was asked to kick one between 47-50 yards.

Actually..... Reed only made 4 field Goals out of 7 attempts from 40+ yards and two of those misses were from 50+ yards.

The year before he was pretty good between 45-50, so I really don't think his leg is capped at 46.

Actually...in 2008 Reeds Field Goal percentage was virtually the same as 2009. He is amazingly consistant in his limitations. Since he has been with the Steelers he has only made 57% of his field goals from 40+ .... with 69% in the 40-49 range and 46% when he kicks from 50+

I've seen many a hot shot college kicker who aren't worth squat in the NFL. They might look good in august, but you really don't find out what they're about until you're in a wind blown nip and tuck divisional game in Novemember.

You might not want to talk about Reed as if he is clutch....The truth is that EVERY field goal that Jeff missed this year was in the second half of the game.
Two against the Bears in which we lost by 3 points.
One against the Bengals in which we lost by 3 points
One against the Raiders in which we loss by 3 points

You lose that game because your kicker can't find the uprights from 38 yards don't come crying to me afterwards.

...and why would anyone do that? Its just two different opinions...thats all.

SteelMember
01-20-2010, 11:39 AM
Well that's just it, that's speculation isn't it? Nowhere in that link provided does it say what the Steelers offered and what Jeff asked for.

Granted though, close to 3 million is just about what Jeff would get if the Steelers tagged him. This up from 1.3 million this past season. I really don't see that as an outrageous sum of money in this day and age. Charlie Batch gets close to that probably? :noidea:

Your Welcome. :wave:

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-20-2010, 11:45 AM

But we cant compare him to a QB..even if it is a backup QB. You have to compare apples to apples and at 3 Mil a year, Reed believes himself to be the 2nd best Kicker in the NFL. Thats outrageous.

zulater
01-20-2010, 11:52 AM
You might not want to talk about Reed as if he is clutch....The truth is that EVERY field goal that Jeff missed this year was in the second half of the game.

Talk about spin.:downspin:

The guy missed 4 field goal attempts all year.

Two in week two.

Two afterwards, both over 50 yards.

That's perfect inside of 50 yards after the second freaking week of the season!

He hasn't missed a field goal attempt in the playoffs since 2002. 16 straight postseason attempts!

But the guy's not clutch enough for you to pay him with the best in the game? :banging:

Yeah anyone can come into Heinz Field and excell. Let's just throw in a rookie to do the job next year.It's not as if Reed ever did enough to compensate for that Bears game and those poor kick-offs . :doh:

zulater
01-20-2010, 11:53 AM
But we cant compare him to a QB..even if it is a backup QB. You have to compare apples to apples and at 3 Mil a year, Reed believes himself to be the 2nd best Kicker in the NFL. Thats outrageous.

Tag him and he probably gets about 2.6 right?

SteelMember
01-20-2010, 11:57 AM

He did say "as far as he knew", so the fact that he didn't hear about a Sept '09 article means if he considers himself to be a "hardcore" fan, he must accept his 40 lashes so we can then move on. :chuckle:

... And I don't think it would be all that wise for an "offer" to be public information. :noidea:

but I think the deal he wants is close to what Robbie Gould signed in '08.

http://www.bearsgab.com/2008/05/12/as-good-as-gould-bears-secure-kicker-through-2013/

zulater
01-20-2010, 12:08 PM
He did say "as far as he knew", so the fact that he didn't hear about a Sept '09 article means if he considers himself to be a "hardcore" fan, he must accept his 40 lashes so we can then move on. :chuckle:

... And I don't think it would be all that wise for an "offer" to be public information. :noidea:

but I think the deal he wants is close to what Robbie Gould signed in '08.

http://www.bearsgab.com/2008/05/12/as-good-as-gould-bears-secure-kicker-through-2013/

Hell no, I don't want them to give him that sort of contract. Just tag him and sign him to the top 5 average for the year.

I don't know how many games a kicker will win for you in a season. But I sure know the wrong one can lose you your season in a hurry. Just ask the Texans.

I was elated the day that (Merry) Kris-(miss) Brown left town,. He revealed himslef to be a choke artist in 2001.

But with Reed I see a kicker who gets better the more pressure that there is. I think he's too valuable an assett to dismiss lightly.

SteelMember
01-20-2010, 12:23 PM
Yes. Reed is valuable, but I think the FO would like to get him locked-up to a multi year contract closer to 2mil per with an amortized signing bonus adding no more that .5 per instead of depending on a tag, which is a short term solution. (These numbers are mine, and therefore complete speculation.)

Besides on kickoffs, I don't think there is anyone who would not want Reed back. It's just what your willing to pay for his services.

Just for a comparative tool, here is a list of cap hits.

3 million becomes pretty substantial considering the entire team.

TIER 1 SALARY BRACKET

List of Steelers contributors with cap hits under $1 million median in 2009:

Patrick Bailey ($392,280)
Charlie Batch ($510,000)
Joe Burnett ($348,875)
Jason Capizzi ($317,280)
Tyrone Carter ($843,014)
Carey Davis ($378,824)
Dennis Dixon ($435,613)
Nick Eason ($474,188)
Trai Essex ($876,240)
Ramon Foster ($312,666)
Keyaron Fox ($810,000)
Andre Frazier ($688,740)
William Gay ($501,708)
Tyler Grisham ($310,500
Ra'shon Harris ($218,823)
Tony Hills ($493,780)
David Johson ($321,066)
Doug Legursky ($317,280)
Keenan Lewis ($470,000)
Stefan Logan ($314,680)
Shaun McDonald ($460,000)
Sean McHugh ($756,240)
Ryan Mundy ($317,280)
Scott Paxson ($392,280)
Keiwan Ratliff ($460,000)
Daniel Sepulveda ($582,280)
Matt Spaeth ($654,304)
Darnell Stapleton ($468,908)
Frank Summers ($348,416)
Limas Sweed ($775,613)
Kraig Urbik ($507,666)
Mike Wallace ($495,166)
Greg Warren ($788,946)
LaMarr Woodley ($816,240)

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-20-2010, 12:48 PM
Tag him and he probably gets about 2.6 right?

Top 5 puts it at 2.23 Million

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-20-2010, 12:57 PM

Two in week two.

Two afterwards, both over 50 yards.

That's perfect inside of 50 yards after the second freaking week of the season!

He hasn't missed a field goal attempt in the playoffs since 2002. 16 straight postseason attempts!

But the guy's not clutch enough for you to pay him with the best in the game? :banging:

Yeah anyone can come into Heinz Field and excell. Let's just throw in a rookie to do the job next year.It's not as if Reed ever did enough to compensate for that Bears game and those poor kick-offs . :doh:

Simmer down....its just opinions. People are going to disagree...it happens.

Read what I have wrote from the beginning, I would sign Reed but I dont want Reed back at the price that he has over valued. He wants to be paid as a one of the top two kickers in the league yet his stats and production show him to be outside the top 10.

Reed needs to see himself for what he is. He is a talented kicker that has been blessed to play with a team that often puts him in a position to make field goals. When he is NOT put in that position he struggles at distances that many others could handle.

In a nutshell...Reed needs the Steelers more than the Steelers need Reed. I would be very pleased for the Steelers to pay him 2 Mil a year.....and Reed would be a fool to not take it. But for him to think that he is worth more than his production dictates, is a quick ride out of town and he can see how he likes to kick from 40+ yards out on a regular basis with a second tier team.

steelreserve
01-20-2010, 01:03 PM

Yeah, and Keading and Graham hardly miss all year -- in fact, the pro-Reed people go out of their way to point out how LITTLE they usually miss -- and then one bad game makes them choke artists?

Talk about spin. Reed had basically the exact same season, but now he's Mr. Clutch because his choke job came in a different week. Never mind that it cost us the game. And never mind that we happened to miss the playoffs by one game, which is why players and coaches always walk around playing up the fact that "every game is hugely important in the NFL" -- they must all not know what they're talking about, and the Chicago game doesn't count. Reed magically gets a pass on that one, and he's clutch and the other kickers aren't, right?

What-smiley-headbanging-ever.

zulater
01-20-2010, 01:14 PM
Simmer down....its just opinions. People are going to disagree...it happens.

Read what I have wrote from the beginning, I would sign Reed but I dont want Reed back at the price that he has over valued. He wants to be paid as a one of the top two kickers in the league yet his stats and production show him to be outside the top 10.

If you tagged him it wouldn't matter what he'd want, he'd get the average of the top 5 period.

Reed needs to see himself for what he is.

Logically Jeff has every right to see himself as whatever the market will bear.

He is a talented kicker that has been blessed to play with a team that often puts him in a position to make field goals.

In possibly the worst venue in the league from a kickers standpoint.

When he is NOT put in that position he struggles at distances that many others could handle.

How many others? Give some names, then let's compare their overall record for their careers, and decide which would be better for the Steelers. :coffee:.

In a nutshell...Reed needs the Steelers more than the Steelers need Reed.

Highly debatable, I'd suggest many would see it exactly the opposite, including many in a position of influence inside other orginizations. .

I would be very pleased for the Steelers to pay him 2 Mil a year.....and Reed would be a fool to not take it.

Not if he could get 3 million plus to kick in a dome somewhere.Then he would be a fool to take it.

But for him to think that he is worth more than his production dictates, is a quick ride out of town and he can see how he likes to kick from 40+ yards out on a regular basis with a second tier team.

He's worth what the market's willing to give him. And if he's an unrestricted free agent there's no reason to beleive he'll end up on a second tier team.

zulater
01-20-2010, 01:24 PM
Yeah, and Keading and Graham hardly miss all year -- in fact, the pro-Reed people go out of their way to point out how LITTLE they usually miss -- and then one bad game makes them choke artists?

Kaeding has a prior history of choking in the playoffs, look it up. .

Talk about spin. Reed had basically the exact same season, but now he's Mr. Clutch because his choke job came in a different week.

Generally speaking week two of a season isn't considered "crunch time" in the NFL.

Often the playoffs are though, for some odd reason? :coffee:

Never mind that it cost us the game.

Santonio Holmes 4 drops played a part too.Maybe he needs to go as well?

And never mind that we happened to miss the playoffs by one game, which is why players and coaches always walk around playing up the fact that "every game is hugely important in the NFL" -- they must all not know what they're talking about, and the Chicago game doesn't count. Reed magically gets a pass on that one, and he's clutch and the other kickers aren't, right?

One game in 8 years, that you can hang around the guy's neck and he's sub par, and needs to be run out of town if he asks for anything close to market value, right?

I guess we better clear out most of the damn locker room then after this last season? Wonder what qb's will drop to us at 18? You do know that Ben played no small part in several of those losses right? :coffee:

Yeah whatever. Getting rid of Reed should really help us out next season. Just go ahead and add on 3 or 4 wins minimum right?

zulater
01-20-2010, 01:28 PM
Top 5 puts it at 2.23 Million

About an 800 k raise over this past year, with no deffered money or prorated signing bonus to account for, nor any guaranteed money for an unguaranteed 2011 season. . Sounds fair to me.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-20-2010, 02:33 PM
He's worth what the market's willing to give him. And if he's an unrestricted free agent there's no reason to beleive he'll end up on a second tier team.

But you are comparing what HE thinks he is worth to what the market is willing to give....hardley ever the same thing.

How many others? Give some names, then let's compare their overall record for their careers, and decide which would be better for the Steelers.

You realize...that by trying to equate a player with a team record...you have just said we were wrong in letting players like Foote and Porter go. I mean what was the TEAM'S overall record while they were here??

As far as Kickers that are better than Reed?

Neil Rackers
Ryan Longwell
Nate Kaeding
Sebastian Janikowski
David Akers
Ryan Succop
Robbie Gould
Rian Lindell
Rob Bironas.....

I would not be upset if I woke up tomorrow and found out that we had to let Reed go but that we signed any of these guys. In fact I think that there would be a pretty positive spin among the Steeler Nation.

But Again...My point from the very beginning is that I hopw we sign Reed at a fair price and not at the price that he thinks he is worth. I have no problem with a 2 mil per year contract

X-Terminator
01-20-2010, 02:48 PM
As far as Kickers that are better than Reed?

Neil Rackers - has a strong leg but has struggled a bit the last 2 seasons
Ryan Longwell - kicks in a dome 9 times a year, missed some clutch kicks in GB
Nate Kaeding - kicks 8 times a year in a warm and dry-weather city, history of big playoff misses
Sebastian Janikowski - biggest leg in the league, not always accurate, Heinz conditions would really affect him
David Akers - I would take him over Reed
Ryan Succop - Had a nice rookie season, but I would worry about kicking in high-pressure situations like Heinz in January
Robbie Gould - made 7 of 10 from 40+ and until this year had never made a 50 yard FG...money in the bank when the game's on the line, though. Would take him.
Rian Lindell - Hmmm...that's a tough one there...probably not
Rob Bironas - would take him over Reed in a heartbeat

So only 3 of those guys I would take ahead of Reed, and none of them are available. So let's just keep Jeff and be done with it.

steelreserve
01-20-2010, 02:50 PM
Yeah whatever. Getting rid of Reed should really help us out next season. Just go ahead and add on 3 or 4 wins minimum right?

Again -- as I've said OVER AND OVER, I'm not saying "get rid of Reed." I'm saying stop treating it like losing Reed would be the end of the world. It wouldn't. Can you comprehend the difference, or is your skull too full of rocks to understand such a fine distinction?

And I'm saying that all this hoopla about every other kicker being a potential choke artist EXCEPT Reed is nonsense. You want to say Reed is more clutch than Keading, fine. But you turn it into "Keading has a problem with choking in the playoffs, and he's an excellent kicker. Therefore, any excellent kicker is likely to choke in the playoffs. But I'll go ahead and exempt Reed from that for some reason." Well, bullshit. Completely self-serving logical fallacy.

As for the rest, where you get into how I want to cut Holmes and find a new QB ... well, that leaves me no choice but to assume you're either an idiot or some kind of irrational hothead, neither of which are very much fun to argue with.

what :banging: ever. This is officially at the point where I cease to give a rat's ass about anything you could possibly have to say about the subject of Jeff Reed.

Psyychoward86
01-20-2010, 03:51 PM

Talk about spin. Reed had basically the exact same season, but now he's Mr. Clutch because his choke job came in a different week. Never mind that it cost us the game. And never mind that we happened to miss the playoffs by one game, which is why players and coaches always walk around playing up the fact that "every game is hugely important in the NFL" -- they must all not know what they're talking about, and the Chicago game doesn't count. Reed magically gets a pass on that one, and he's clutch and the other kickers aren't, right?

who said were basing these one one game? Everyone who thinks "choking" is an imaginary ghost needs to take a good look at Tony Romo

steelreserve
01-20-2010, 04:41 PM
who said were basing these one one game? Everyone who thinks "choking" is an imaginary ghost needs to take a good look at Tony Romo

Yeah, but when Tony Romo chokes, everybody doesn't panic and start thinking that every other quarterback in the league is a choke artist except for Roethlisberger.

People are still hung up on Kris Brown to the point where they're absolutely paranoid about any kicker other than Reed. And honestly, the whole thing strikes me as more than a little delusional.

Psyychoward86
01-20-2010, 06:03 PM
Yeah, but when Tony Romo chokes, everybody doesn't panic and start thinking that every other quarterback in the league is a choke artist except for Roethlisberger.

People are still hung up on Kris Brown to the point where they're absolutely paranoid about any kicker other than Reed. And honestly, the whole thing strikes me as more than a little delusional.

Kickers get less opportunities to see the field, or heck, even win a game. So when they ARE playing, all eyes are on them.

I guess that's why a lot of people (including me) really dont want the risk of an unclutch kicker on the team

zulater
01-20-2010, 10:50 PM
Again -- as I've said OVER AND OVER, I'm not saying "get rid of Reed." I'm saying stop treating it like losing Reed would be the end of the world. It wouldn't. Can you comprehend the difference, or is your skull too full of rocks to understand such a fine distinction?

And I'm saying that all this hoopla about every other kicker being a potential choke artist EXCEPT Reed is nonsense. You want to say Reed is more clutch than Keading, fine. But you turn it into "Keading has a problem with choking in the playoffs, and he's an excellent kicker. Therefore, any excellent kicker is likely to choke in the playoffs. But I'll go ahead and exempt Reed from that for some reason." Well, bullshit. Completely self-serving logical fallacy.

As for the rest, where you get into how I want to cut Holmes and find a new QB ... well, that leaves me no choice but to assume you're either an idiot or some kind of irrational hothead, neither of which are very much fun to argue with.

what :banging: ever. This is officially at the point where I cease to give a rat's ass about anything you could possibly have to say about the subject of Jeff Reed.

It's pretty simple really. You think I overvalue Reed, and I think you undervalue him. But it really doesn't matter what either of us thinks, it's all about what the Steelers do about it.

MasterOfPuppets
01-20-2010, 11:06 PM
reed is only one miss in a big game from losing his " clutch " status .... could very well be the next big game...:noidea:

tony hipchest
01-20-2010, 11:31 PM
he should only be re-signed if he gets back on the 'roids.

MasterOfPuppets
01-20-2010, 11:56 PM
he should only be re-signed if he gets back on the 'roids. i thought it was kinda odd the way a few years ago in preseason he was booting them consistently into the endzone, then once the season started ....nope...same thing with sepulvada this year...in preseason he was nailing 50+ yard punts all preseason, but we weren't seeing many of those during the season....whats up with that ? weather ? fatigue ?

SteelMember
01-21-2010, 07:18 AM

:chuckle:

Quad-zilla!

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-21-2010, 04:05 PM

There wouldnt be a towel dispenser on the wall within 5 miles of Heinz field. :doh:

Psyychoward86
01-21-2010, 04:12 PM
reed is only one miss in a big game from losing his " clutch " status .... could very well be the next big game...:noidea:

7 years....

.........still waiting

MasterOfPuppets
01-21-2010, 05:03 PM
7 years....

.........still waiting
in hindsight i guess one could say the chicago game was a big game considering only one win was the difference between playoffs and no playoffs.

steelreserve
01-21-2010, 05:05 PM
It's pretty simple really. You think I overvalue Reed, and I think you undervalue him. But it really doesn't matter what either of us thinks, it's all about what the Steelers do about it.

Well, that pretty much sums it up.

I'm not against keeping him or anything, as long as we don't screw ourselves over and he isn't too greedy. Regardless of how he does on the field, one thing I can't stand is paying people way too much (see: Max Starks franchise tag).

MasterOfPuppets
01-21-2010, 05:10 PM
hmmmm one must wonder why peter czech is still very much on the steelers rader....:scratchchin:

The Steelers signed nine players to future contracts, including seven from their practice squad: K Piotr Czech, DT Scott Paxson, TE Eugene Bright, WR Jason Chery, S Tuff Harris, DT Steve McClendon, RB Isaac Redman, RB Justin Vincent and CB Trae Williams. C A.Q. Shipley, their seventh-round pick last year who spent the season on the practice squad, signed this week with the Philadelphia Eagles.

zulater
01-21-2010, 05:44 PM
hmmmm one must wonder why peter czech is still very much on the steelers rader....:scratchchin:

Because they need a leg for the first OTA's. As an unsigned free agent Jeff Reed isn't eligible to be there.

zulater
01-21-2010, 09:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGKjjgkubqs&feature=PlayList&p=04D2D9579E2AF0EB&index=68

Scroll to 52 seconds, 1.50, and 5.27, this with the tempature in the 20's , that's why I want to keep Jeff Reed.:tt02:

stlrtruck
01-22-2010, 08:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGKjjgkubqs&feature=PlayList&p=04D2D9579E2AF0EB&index=68

Scroll to 52 seconds, 1.50, and 5.27, this with the tempature in the 20's , that's why I want to keep Jeff Reed.:tt02:

If you don't mind, I'd rather watch the whole video and pay attention to those specific times referenced. :chuckle:

But I still think bringing someone in to camp to challenge him would probably help.

markymarc
01-23-2010, 02:21 PM
Because they need a leg for the first OTA's. As an unsigned free agent Jeff Reed isn't eligible to be there.

That was a fun video to watch again! Thanks for posting it. I am all for getting Jeff Reed signed again.

zulater
01-24-2010, 02:30 PM
Feely missed a 44 yarder indoors in todays AFC title game. Reed nailed it from 42, and 46 ( would have been good from 55) in last years title game in inclimate weather on a grass field. I'm glad we had him, and hope we keep him.

Northside Jonny
01-24-2010, 04:35 PM
The more I think about it, the more i think it so important to resign Jeffro . Yeah he may have made some mistakes off the field . But does anyone ever think about Tone and the hippie lettuce? Besides I think we are all forgetting the Ketchup Bottle is the hardest place in the league to kick , and since we brought Mr. Reed on he has done better than a damn good job he has been one of the best in the league.

stillers4me
01-24-2010, 05:38 PM
Besides I think we are all forgetting the Ketchup Bottle is the hardest place in the league to kick , and since we brought Mr. Reed on he has done better than a damn good job he has been one of the best in the league.

No, I 've repeatedly stated that the last thing we need is a rookie kicker losing home games for us.

Northside Jonny
01-24-2010, 06:49 PM
No, I 've repeatedly stated that the last thing we need is a rookie kicker losing home games for us.

Agreed! The only rookie kicker I like is Hunter Lawrence of Texas that boy can boot it.:applaudit:

zulater
01-29-2010, 01:59 PM
There aren't many certainties for the Steelers when it comes to deciding what to do with some of their top unrestricted free agents. It remains unclear if they will use a franchise tag on five-time Pro Bowl nose tackle Casey Hampton, and they will be in no hurry to re-sign running back Willie Parker or cornerback Deshea Townsend, even though they would take both players back at a reduced rate if they don't sign with another team.

But one thing is certain: Their top priority before free agency begins March 5 is to sign kicker Jeff Reed to a new contract. They intend to accomplish that before doing anything else, and that is fine by Reed, who has maintained all along his desire to remain with the Steelers.

Reed said that he has met with "the most important people in the organization" -- president Art Rooney II, director of football operations Kevin Colbert and coach Mike Tomlin -- "and they all said they definitely want me back. They want me to retire a Steeler. Sounds like a good plan to me."

He has been one of the National Football League's most accurate and dependable kickers since his rookie season in 2002, despite kicking outdoors in the Northeast. His career field goal percentage of 83.26 percent (189 of 227) -- seventh among all active kickers -- ranks ninth in NFL history among kickers with 100 or more field goals.

In a season in which the NFL's field-goal percentage dropped from 84.5 in 2008 to 81.3, Reed's conversion percent of 87.1 (27 of 31) was second only to San Diego's Nate Kaeding (91.4) among kickers with 30 or more attempts. And that after a rare bad performance in Week 2 in Chicago in which Reed missed attempts of 38 and 43 yards in the fourth quarter.

After that game, he never missed again from inside 50 yards, converting all 24 attempts. In fact, his only misses after the Chicago loss were from 52 and 53 yards, the latter on a cold December day at Heinz Field.

Since 2007, Reed has converted 88.2 percent of his attempts (75 of 85) -- the same success rate as Kaeding (83 of 94), the percentage leader in league history, in that time.

But Reed's greatest attribute might be his ability to deliver when it matters most -- a quality that was underscored in the past couple weeks when kickers such as Kaeding, Cincinnati's Shayne Graham and Arizona's Neil Rackers missed field-goal attempts at critical junctures of playoff games. Reed has made 14 consecutive post-season field goals since missing two his rookie season and is 22 of 25 in the final two minutes or in overtime of a regular-season game.

"The last three years, if you look at what I've done, I'm very proud of that," Reed said Thursday from Charlotte, N.C., where he is visiting his family. "I've never been to the Pro Bowl. I don't necessarily like it when I'm not mentioned among the best kickers in the league."

Conceivably, the Steelers could place a franchise or transition tag on Reed and keep him for one more season. But a franchise tag for kickers/punters before the 2009 season (average of top five salaries) was $2,483,000. A transition tag for kickers/punters (average of top 10 salaries) was $2,264,000.

Reed's 2009 salary was $1,375,000, though he counted $1,973,334 against the salary cap. A year earlier, his cap value of $1,958,333 ranked ninth among NFL kickers.

"I'm very loyal to the Steelers," Reed said. "No matter what has happened in the past, the organization has treated me very respectfully and made me feel like it's home."

Gerry Dulac: gdulac@post-gazette.com.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10029/1031889-66.stm#ixzz0e27YW3IA

LVSteelersfan
01-29-2010, 02:40 PM
Sorry, I can't give him a pass on those missed field goals in Chicago. That is one game we would have won that would have put us in the playoffs. How many years can we get from him before we have to sign a new kicker? We have to get a new kicker sooner or later. So, if he wants more than he is worth, don't let the door hit you on the way out. If he will be reasonable, then I think a 2-3 year contract is in order. But WORK ON THOSE STUPID KICKOFFS in the offseason. I cringe every single time he kicks off. I am pretty ambivalent about the subject and don't care if he goes or stays.

stlrtruck
01-29-2010, 03:31 PM
I cringe every single time he kicks off. I am pretty ambivalent about the subject and don't care if he goes or stays.

You and me both! Maybe we can bring in a younger kicker to do kickoffs for a year or two until they get capable of being "Skippy 2"

Prok
01-29-2010, 06:59 PM

It shouldn't be all on the kicker to win or lose home games for you if you're a SB contending team. I'd take a stronger kickoff leg than Reed's any day. Surely it can't be that hard to learn how to kick in Heinz field ??

HometownGal
01-29-2010, 07:20 PM
Sorry, I can't give him a pass on those missed field goals in Chicago. That is one game we would have won that would have put us in the playoffs.

After all of the games that have been won on Skippy's toe over the last 8 seasons, I'm not going to run him out of town on a rail because he missed 2 FG's in that game.

Considering all of the W's the Steelers D blew this past season, which had we won just one of them we would have been playoff bound, I think Reed is more than entitled to one not so perfect game.

I'd take a stronger kickoff leg than Reed's any day.

Personally - I'd take better ST's coverage which won the sucktitude award this season.

Surely it can't be that hard to learn how to kick in Heinz field ??

Really? Then why have so many opposing PK's had major problems converting FG's in HF? Ever go to a home game there when it is windy, raining or snowing? If you have, I don't think you would even ask that question.

Texasteel
01-29-2010, 07:37 PM
In every game I've see, the announcer has talked about how tough it is to kick in Heinz Field when the wind is blowing. I also agree that short kicks can and should be covered by the ST.

Northside Jonny
01-29-2010, 08:28 PM
He has been one of the National Football League's most accurate and dependable kickers since his rookie season in 2002, despite kicking outdoors in the Northeast. His career field goal percentage of 83.26 percent (189 of 227) -- seventh among all active kickers -- ranks ninth in NFL history among kickers with 100 or more field goals.

Since 2007, Reed has converted 88.2 percent of his attempts (75 of 85) -- the same success rate as Kaeding (83 of 94), the percentage leader in league history, in that time.
]

I guess that we would be better off with Kris Brown still here right ? Sounds like all you guys value is being able to kickoff deep and get touchbacks . What the hell good does that do if your kicker misses a game winning chip shot? :banging: If our special teams could have stopped anyone this year we would not even be questioning how deep Jeffro can kickoff.

Prok
01-29-2010, 09:46 PM
After all of the games that have been won on Skippy's toe over the last 8 seasons, I'm not going to run him out of town on a rail because he missed 2 FG's in that game.

Considering all of the W's the Steelers D blew this past season, which had we won just one of them we would have been playoff bound, I think Reed is more than entitled to one not so perfect game.

Personally - I'd take better ST's coverage which won the sucktitude award this season.

Really? Then why have so many opposing PK's had major problems converting FG's in HF? Ever go to a home game there when it is windy, raining or snowing? If you have, I don't think you would even ask that question.

I've been to a few home games. Sorry, I just don't buy into the idea that it's damn near impossible for a new kicker to adjust to that stadium. I'd also prefer if our kicker could get the thing to the EZ once in a while to help coverage out.

Now if Reed would take a contract that wouldn't restrict us from spending on other need areas of the team? I might buy into that.

While he is a reliable FG kicker for us I don't think we can automatically assume the worst will happen should we choose to go another direction.

rich4eagle
01-30-2010, 07:22 PM

reed lost two games and won none................he needs to be replaced on KO teams if he is to stay..............he is huge liability there:tt::tt::tt:

Psyychoward86
01-30-2010, 09:12 PM
Sorry, I can't give him a pass on those missed field goals in Chicago. That is one game we would have won that would have put us in the playoffs. How many years can we get from him before we have to sign a new kicker? We have to get a new kicker sooner or later. So, if he wants more than he is worth, don't let the door hit you on the way out. If he will be reasonable, then I think a 2-3 year contract is in order. But WORK ON THOSE STUPID KICKOFFS in the offseason. I cringe every single time he kicks off. I am pretty ambivalent about the subject and don't care if he goes or stays.

lol

MasterOfPuppets
11-15-2010, 05:12 PM
i wonder how many of these "pro skippy" people have hopped off his bandwagon ? :chuckle:

SH-Rock
11-15-2010, 07:24 PM
i wonder how many of these "pro skippy" people have hopped off his bandwagon ? :chuckle:

SKIPPY, SKIPPY, SKIPPY :rofl:

fer522
11-15-2010, 07:56 PM
fire his ass:mad:

tony hipchest
11-15-2010, 08:25 PM
i wonder how many of these "pro skippy" people have hopped off his bandwagon ? :chuckle:well some ugly board demons are certainly resurrected in this thread. i see the previous admin and 2 of the 3 amigos spoke Gods truth and am actually suprised this thread wasnt locked down for anyone disagreeing.

IueDj96fhqI

im sure all the "pro skippy" people will chalk up any justified critisizm to him being a "scapegoat", just like with BA and sean mayhan (ignoring the fact that they suck)...

so they will ride the bandwagon until the wheels fall off, and then still sit in it and cheer until dan rooney comes along to tell them what to think.

mesaSteeler
11-15-2010, 09:57 PM
NFL from the sidelines

After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop.
Monday, November 15, 2010
http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/
Steelers tiring of Reed

Jeff Reed, who got into a verbal confrontation with a fan while leaving the field Sunday night, may have finally worn out his welcome in Pittsburgh.

The Steelers will try out kickers on Tuesday in an attempt to find someone better, or, at the very least, light a fire under the struggling kicker.

There's no word on who the Steelers might bring in yet, but the best available guys would include Steven Hauschka, Piotr Czech, Shaun Suisham and Matt Stover.

CargoJon
11-15-2010, 10:03 PM
+1 for bumping this thread.

Article quoted by the OP was a complete swing and a miss.........

steelerohio
11-15-2010, 10:24 PM
I hope the fire gets lit up under him by the audition of another kicker...

Is is possible that he's feeling pressure because he got his contract negotiations coming up and and he's feeling the pressure of living up to how much he feels he's worth?

tony hipchest
11-15-2010, 10:26 PM
absolutely.

he gambled on himself and came up short.

kirklandrules
11-16-2010, 04:58 AM
The guy has been an absolute d-bag the past two years. Here's an article from the PG where he says a hole in the field moved the ball and he almost missed it totally ... o.k. Charlie Brown! Maybe he should consider the idea that if he didn't act like a d-bag he would get support and sympathy from some of these fans.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10319/1103534-100.stm

steelerchad
11-16-2010, 08:37 AM
I hate to say this, but I think we may need to part ways with Reed. Once a kicker loses it, I think it's gone for good. He probably needs a new home to regain it. I liken making field goals in the NFL to putting for a golfer. A lot of it is mental, having a positive view of making the kick or putt. When your putting or kicking scared, your not going to make them. Bringing in another kicker only adds to the pressure on Reed and I think he cracks and actually continues missing makeable kicks for the rest of the season. Hope I'm wrong, but I don't think this ends well for Reed or the Steelers.

BlackAndGold4Ever
11-16-2010, 10:13 AM
Im pretty fed up with Reed on and off the field but I think we need to wait it out the rest of this season and start fresh with a different kicker next season.

CargoJon
11-16-2010, 11:37 AM
Welp, pretty much sews up that discussion....

LVSteelersfan
11-16-2010, 01:00 PM
Yeah, there I was in that thread saying Reed needed to go. I just can't see someone with his attitude turning it around and I am glad he is gone.

BengalDestroyer
11-16-2010, 03:43 PM
I would also like to keep Skippy, he is money at heinz field and is a very good field goal kicker.... would like top see deeper kick-offs but oh well....Depending on what happens with other players I would place the transision tag or francise tag on him if a new deal cannot be reached to keep him around for another year.

4 of 9 at home is not money (11 of 13 on the road) this season....

MasterOfPuppets
11-16-2010, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets http://forums.steelersfever.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=761131#post761131)
reed is only one miss in a big game from losing his " clutch " status .... could very well be the next big game.

7 years....

.........still waiting

the waits over ....:coffee:

MasterOfPuppets
11-16-2010, 04:21 PM
can i hear an ADIOS ? :sofunny:

SKIPPY IS CLUTCH....SKIPPY IS CLUTCH ....:blah:

skippy ------>:buttkick: <------rooney

it's good !!!!:danceshout: