PDA

View Full Version : Harris column. Rooney ruling the roost.

zulater
01-19-2010, 07:16 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_662851.html

Who has the juice, the real power, on the Steelers?

If you thought it was coach Mike Tomlin, think again.

A year after winning Super Bowl XLIII, Tomlin is back where he started when he was hired three years ago: proving himself to team president Art Rooney II.

I naively believed Tomlin's Super Bowl ring in his second season would buy him time if he experienced a campaign such as this one, when the Steelers missed the playoffs -- courtesy of a five-game losing streak during which Tomlin threatened to bench starters and questioned the mental toughness of his players.

Rooney disproved that theory in a revealing interview with the Tribune-Review's Scott Brown. While pleased the Steelers rallied to win their final three games, Rooney II all but ordered Tomlin to change his offensive philosophy and get back to the ground game next season.

"We need to run the ball to be successful," Rooney II said. "Some of our troubles in the red zone can be traced to that, and some of our troubles holding leads can be traced to that."

Is a public reprimand any way to treat the coach who won the franchise's sixth Super Bowl?

It is as if Rooney II believes Tomlin's coaching performance was as ineffective in 2009 as it was outstanding in 2008.

Still, it seems that Tomlin should have built up some coaching equity based on winning the Super Bowl. It isn't like the Steelers decision to switch to a passing game was a failure. After all, the NFL has become a passing league.

However, being able to dial up a dependable running game on demand -- which the Steelers failed to do on a consistent basis -- is a key trait in three of the four remaining playoff teams.

A big reason for the San Diego Chargers' meltdown against the New York Jets in Sunday's AFC divisional playoff game was San Diego's inability to run out the clock while holding a lead. By the same token, the Jets beat San Diego with a strong ground attack despite rookie quarterback Mark Sanchez passing for only 100 yards.

Rooney II said he never asked Tomlin to fire offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, whose pass-first mentality led to Ben Roethlisberger becoming the first 4,000-yard quarterback in franchise history.

Encouraged him, maybe. Suggested it, perhaps.

The Steelers' boss put the spotlight on Tomlin and his franchise quarterback for his team's struggles.

Rooney II was so impressed with Roethlisberger's big season that he promptly called for more running plays in 2010. In fact, Rooney II had some candid comments about Roethlisberger, his $102-million man.

"He's someone I know wants to continue to improve and wants to get better and be considered one of the top quarterbacks in the league," Rooney II said.

I'm sure that quote went over real big in the Roethlisberger household.

If Rooney II is desirous of the offense becoming more run-oriented next season -- he also told the Tribune-Review he wants Roethlisberger to help reduce the Steelers' sack total by getting rid of the ball faster -- why stick with an assistant coach whose teams averaged more passing attempts than carries in five of his six seasons as an NFL coordinator?

Instead of bringing in a new offensive coordinator, Tomlin settled for a new offensive line coach.

Who specializes in running the football.

Agreeing to run the ball more in 2010 adds to Tomlin's legacy as a coach who's reluctant to take charge.

A familiar pattern has emerged with Tomlin, who still hasn't established his own coaching identity with the Steelers.

He arrived as a coach immersed in the 4-3, but the Steelers remain a 3-4 team under defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau.

Tomlin spoke this season about beefing up the passing game, only to have his boss instruct him to run the ball more.

I'm still waiting for the Steelers to announce they've signed Tomlin to a contract extension.

The Steelers traditionally re-sign their coach with two years remaining on his contract. Tomlin has a year left on his original four-year deal and the Steelers hold an option for an additional year.

Surprised the Steelers didn't re-sign Tomlin last offseason following the Super Bowl win?

Me too.

Rooney said the Steelers have every intention of re-signing Tomlin. Let's see if they sign him before the 2010 opener.

Based on how this season ended, I wouldn't be surprised if the Steelers took a wait-and-see approach with Tomlin.

They didn't lock him up this time a year ago when he was the hottest thing going, so why rush now?

:popcorn:

supa_fly_steeler
01-19-2010, 07:56 AM
Of course they will resign him, it's just when they want to.

Vincent
01-19-2010, 07:59 AM
"Agreeing to run the ball more in 2010 adds to Tomlin's legacy as a coach who's reluctant to take charge.

A familiar pattern has emerged with Tomlin, who still hasn't established his own coaching identity with the Steelers."

Some have said it was wrong of Art to speak out. After all, his dad and grandfather never did. What we're seeing is an owner that is in a position where he needs to put his coach on notice. He had to do it and it was the right thing to do.

I'm glad Art is putting the screws to him. What I see in MT is a deer in the headlights.

LamarrWoodleysFade
01-19-2010, 08:14 AM
Balance, that's all I ask for. We can both run and throw the ball effectively.

With all due respect, Art II need to keep his mouth shut and let the coaches do their damn jobs. Has this team severely under achieved? Absolutely, but (even with Arians) the offense has looked flat out great at times.

Get the D back on track and improve the offensive play calling and this team is right back to where they were last year. Why switch everything up because of ONE (by Pittsburgh standards) mediocre season? It doesn't make sense to me at all.

If I'm Tomlin, I'm not switching a damn thing, and I'm gonna prove I can win in the process. You have a $100 million dollar QB, and all you want to do is see him hand the ball off?? You got a receiving unit that can be nothing but great WITH that $100 million dollar QB, and all you want to do is see them block??

Again with all due respect, but Mr. Rooney can go screw himself IF he's telling Tomlin that's the case. We can't afford to waist the potential on this team...

X-Terminator
01-19-2010, 08:31 AM
Balance, that's all I ask for. We can both run and throw the ball effectively.

With all due respect, Art II need to keep his mouth shut and let the coaches do their damn jobs. Has this team severely under achieved? Absolutely, but (even with Arians) the offense has looked flat out great at times.

Get the D back on track and improve the offensive play calling and this team is right back to where they were last year. Why switch everything up because of ONE (by Pittsburgh standards) mediocre season? It doesn't make sense to me at all.

If I'm Tomlin, I'm not switching a damn thing, and I'm gonna prove I can win in the process. You have a $100 million dollar QB, and all you want to do is see him hand the ball off?? You got a receiving unit that can be nothing but great WITH that $100 million dollar QB, and all you want to do is see them block??

Again with all due respect, but Mr. Rooney can go screw himself IF he's telling Tomlin that's the case. We can't afford to waist the potential on this team...

Well, the majority of Steelers fans are demanding a return to "smashmouth football," so Mr. Rooney is just giving the people what they want. :noidea:

Hey, I agree with you, man. It's not like the team is devoid of talent and needs an overhaul - there isn't a whole lot that needs to be done to get the team back in the playoffs next season. And of course, I and others here have said exactly what you've said about our $100 million QB and excellent receiving corps and we were excoriated for it.

LamarrWoodleysFade
01-19-2010, 09:42 AM
Well, the majority of Steelers fans are demanding a return to "smashmouth football," so Mr. Rooney is just giving the people what they want. :noidea:

Hey, I agree with you, man. It's not like the team is devoid of talent and needs an overhaul - there isn't a whole lot that needs to be done to get the team back in the playoffs next season. And of course, I and others here have said exactly what you've said about our $100 million QB and excellent receiving corps and we were excoriated for it.

I mean, I can understand giving the people what they want, but that doesn't mean it's always the right thing. I'm not attacking you, I'm just saying.

The same people who want Smashmouth football back are the same people complaining about how Ben gets no respect for being a great quarterback. Well, he can't be great if he's not allowed to throw the football. So people are gonna have to get over the fact that this isn't the 1970's anymore. Teams have to evolve at some point with the players the acquire over the years.

As much as I rag on Arians, the guy has done a half-way decent job overall. He gets greedy and can be a flat out idiot at times, but all that can be fixed once Tomlin gets in his ear a lil' bit.

I love this city and I love this team, but the amount of panic and dismay that takes place when this team has a down season (after 3 or 4 good/great ones) is ridiculous. I know we're the All Mighty Pittsburgh Steelers, but even we aren't immune to a down season every once in a while. It's actually good that we have this season to remind us that we aren't perfect and we DO have flaws. Let's correct them, move on and hope for a successful 2010 season...

SteelGhost
01-19-2010, 10:42 AM

I totally agree :thumbsup: Maybe Art RII is telling us "don't worry fans, next season will be an offensive improvement, we will try to run the ball when we need to and get better at playcalling, no more empty backfield on 3rd. & short" :chuckle:

Prok
01-19-2010, 10:45 AM
I totally agree :thumbsup: Maybe Art RII is telling us "don't worry fans, next season will be an offensive improvement, we will try to run the ball when we need to and get better at playcalling, no more empty backfield on 3rd. & short" :chuckle:

As I stated in an earlier thread.... We're making a huge mistake if we think just running the ball more will fix all our woes.... :banging:

Atranox
01-19-2010, 10:48 AM

The majority of Steelers fans also don't seem tor recall that smashmouth football has won us 0 (zero) Super Bowls. It's absolutely no coincidence that the majority of conference and Super Bowl winners over the past 10-15 years have been pass-oriented offences. An occasional exception may sneak in, such as the Ravens, but make no doubt about it - teams with dominant passing attacks are more successful in the playoffs rather than teams with dominant run games. Smashmouth football is consistent, but it can't keep up in scoring in today's NFL.

We had perhaps the best smashmouth RB in NFL history in Jerome Bettis, and we never even made it to a single Super Bowl with him as the starter.

SteelGhost
01-19-2010, 10:59 AM
As I stated in an earlier thread.... We're making a huge mistake if we think just running the ball more will fix all our woes.... :banging:

Hey Prok, easy with the wall or you'll have a headache later :chuckle:

we will try to run the ball when we need to

I never said just running more will fix everything :wink02:

fansince'76
01-19-2010, 11:30 AM
I love this city and I love this team, but the amount of panic and dismay that takes place when this team has a down season (after 3 or 4 good/great ones) is ridiculous. I know we're the All Mighty Pittsburgh Steelers, but even we aren't immune to a down season every once in a while. It's actually good that we have this season to remind us that we aren't perfect and we DO have flaws. Let's correct them, move on and hope for a successful 2010 season...

:applaudit: My sentiments exactly. :drink:

X-Terminator
01-19-2010, 11:39 AM
The majority of Steelers fans also don't seem tor recall that smashmouth football has won us 0 (zero) Super Bowls. It's absolutely no coincidence that the majority of conference and Super Bowl winners over the past 10-15 years have been pass-oriented offences. An occasional exception may sneak in, such as the Ravens, but make no doubt about it - teams with dominant passing attacks are more successful in the playoffs rather than teams with dominant run games. Smashmouth football is consistent, but it can't keep up in scoring in today's NFL.

We had perhaps the best smashmouth RB in NFL history in Jerome Bettis, and we never even made it to a single Super Bowl with him as the starter.

Exactly. Make no mistake - even if you aren't a run-first team, you need to be able to run and do it effectively when needed. But when you have the guns we have in the passing game, why wouldn't you want to put more emphasis on it? Now before anyone says so, I'm not talking about a 90-10 ratio or even a 60-40 ratio. We'd be just fine with a 55-45 pass-to-run ratio. Run enough to score more TDs in the red zone, have more success in short-yardage situations and to close out games, while taking full advantage of our passing attack and their ability to score from anywhere on the field. Basically, what we want is the Saints' offense, because that is exactly what they do.

JEFF4i
01-19-2010, 12:22 PM
I think a lot of people are misunderstanding the concept here. It's not that some of us want smashmouth football and to be 60% run, it's that we cringe on seeing a 3rd and 1 with an empty backfield away from home on a cold and windy night.

And everyone assumes that we have to keep the same philosophy throughout the season. Why? Just because we run the ball to try and control the clock in the regular season doesn't mean we do in the post-season. Running the ball wouldn't have worked against the Packers, it was a slug match, and Tomlin made the right call. On the flipside, running the ball more and trusting Willie and Rashard against say...the Chiefs, Browns, and others, we might have 1 more win.

It's not that the defense is devoid of blame either. But when you consume the clock and keep your defense off, they are as a general rule better when they come on.

T&B fan
01-19-2010, 12:53 PM
I think a lot of people are misunderstanding the concept here. It's not that some of us want smashmouth football and to be 60% run, it's that we cringe on seeing a 3rd and 1 with an empty backfield away from home on a cold and windy night.

And everyone assumes that we have to keep the same philosophy throughout the season. Why? Just because we run the ball to try and control the clock in the regular season doesn't mean we do in the post-season. Running the ball wouldn't have worked against the Packers, it was a slug match, and Tomlin made the right call. On the flipside, running the ball more and trusting Willie and Rashard against say...the Chiefs, Browns, and others, we might have 1 more win.

It's not that the defense is devoid of blame either. But when you consume the clock and keep your defense off, they are as a general rule better when they come on.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Prok
01-19-2010, 01:08 PM
Hey Prok, easy with the wall or you'll have a headache later :chuckle:

I never said just running more will fix everything :wink02:

lol

Not putting it on you, or any fans for that matter.

If the powers that be think our probs are gonna disappear by simply running the ball more they are mistaken imo.

Situational play-calling HAS to improve. And thats alot of the passing plays as well. And we can't have the franchise dropping back with a free rusher much of the time and all deep routes called. then either Ben miraculously avoids the rush and gets it off orrrrrrrr the down side is Ben gets creamed....

There has to be a mentality change with passing the ball... And oh don't even get me started on our defensive problems.... lol

SteelGhost
01-19-2010, 02:34 PM
We're cool Prok :drink:

So, we can agree that situational playcalling AND running the ball when we need to can fix some of the problems for the 2010 season :thumbsup:

don't even get me started on our defensive problems

I feel your pain bro :chuckle:

Prok
01-19-2010, 02:41 PM
We're cool Prok :drink:

So, we can agree that situational playcalling AND running the ball when we need to can fix some of the problems for the 2010 season :thumbsup:

I feel your pain bro :chuckle:

I can drink to that. :drink:

I do think that getting Troy back and KEEPING him healthy would cover alot of secondary weaknesses too. Man would I LOVE to see us get a shutdown corner too !!

:tt:

SteelGhost
01-19-2010, 02:51 PM
Yes, we miss Troy BADLY, I hope he and Aaron will be at 100% next season. A decent corner is a must in my book too, the depth is really really weak, buy I'll trust the FO and coaching staff to solve that problem in the offseason, maybe they have to search Potsie's eventual replacement as well :tt02:

pepsyman1
01-19-2010, 03:48 PM

Also keep in mind, that in the last 15 years there have also been only 2 Superbowl winners that didn't have a running game ranked in the top 1/3 of the league. Those two exceptions were last years Steelers and the Colts. "Smashmouth" football itself won't get it done, but neither will "pass-happy". There needs to be balance and the ABILITY to be smashmouth when the situation demands it, just like the ability to run a two minute offense in a comeback. We have the personnel to do both, and that's what we need to do.

tony hipchest
01-19-2010, 05:47 PM

.he doesnt acquiese to the masses or he woulda simply fired arians (although thats not his job).

Rooney II said he never asked Tomlin to fire offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, whose pass-first mentality led to Ben Roethlisberger becoming the first 4,000-yard quarterback in franchise history.

Encouraged him, maybe. Suggested it, perhaps.

:iagree:

but it does appear el hefe, who knows more football than all of us, and who should be trusted with any decision made, knows what many fans (who were labeled "haters") have been saying all along.

he also agrees that the loss of polamalu and smith were dramatic to our defense and younger players need to be brought along quicker and not rot away on the bench.

:thumbsup: i think he is doing a fantastic job as the new president since dan stepped down.

tony hipchest
01-19-2010, 06:02 PM
steelersdepot has an insightful statistical breakdown of what rooney has finally said and many fans have been saying all along. the whole fallacious argument that these fans are living in the past, want a return to jerome bettis football, want a 60:40 run/pass ratio, is an empty strawman argument made up by those who have become enamoured with the thought of a pro-bowl qb and wr's and fantasy football stats.

most fans simply want smart, logical, winning football. as the head coach says (who i definitely agree with) "style points dont matter".

http://www.steelersdepot.com/blog/2010/01/stats-break-down-on-rooney-ii-comments-on-running-game/

The word came down last weekend that Art Rooney II wants to run more effectively in the redzone and in games in which the Steelers have the lead. Here is what Rooney II told Scott Brown in a recent interview. “We need to be better at running the football. We were not consistently good at running the football this year, and I think that was a problem, and it’s certainly something that traditionally has been one of the foundations of the team and we need to get back to that. We need to be able to run the ball to be successful. Some of or troubles in the red zone this year, I think, can be traced to that and some of our troubles holding leads this year can be traced to that. It’s an area of our offense our game that we need to be better at and more consistent at than we were this year.”

Below are the stats for the Steelers running the ball in the redzone and in the 4th quarter in situations were they had the lead. The rushing stats are running back stats only. The total amount of total plays in these situations does not include sacks or penalties. I can guarantee these stats are not 100% correct, but very close based on my stats mining methods. The stats also include plays run on 1st through 4th down with 10 or less yards to go.

As you can see in the first chart dedicated to the redzone, the Steelers averaged only 2.02 yards per carry on runs by a running back in the redzone. This ranked 29th in the league using the stats. The Steelers also ran only 45% of the time in these situations as well. Both of these stats go hand in hand as the faith in the running game in the redzone probably led to wanting to pass more in these situations as the year wore on.

The second chart shows were perhaps the Steelers did not run enough in 4th quarters of games in situations where they held any type of lead. The Steelers averaged 4.23 yards per carry by running backs in these situations which was good for 12th in the league. On the flip side, they only ran 64% of the time in these situations.

One interesting thing to point out in both of these charts is that the 2009 Buffalo Bills had a better yards per carry by running backs in both of these situations. The Bills offensive line was coached by new Steelers offensive line coach Sean Kugler. Kugler got this accomplished with a patch worked offensive line that saw 9 different starting combinations in 2009 that saw only the center starting all 16 games at his regular spot.

In conclusion, you can see the beef that Rooney has. I suspect that offensive coordinator Bruce Arians will be instructed to run more in these situations and Kugler will be charged with getting the most out of the linemen in these two situations. You could also see the Steelers bring a true fullback into the plan with less 3 wide receiver sets.

*see link for yardage breakdowns and charts*

T&B fan
01-19-2010, 06:07 PM
Tony you have it .. fantasy football has too many fans looking at players and #s ... been said by many before no I in team

SH-Rock
01-19-2010, 06:17 PM
I wouldn't blame Tomlin for everything, but rest assured the Steelers are coming back stronger and angrier especially Troy. Watch him play his heart out and young Wallace, he is a future star of the NFL maybe even better then Holmes's and Ward's legacy

Edman
01-19-2010, 09:10 PM
Smashmouth won't take you far in the playoffs. Neither will Pass-happy.

To win in this league you need a clutch defense and balance on offense that can adjust to the opponent's schemes and perform well in any situation. The Steelers had neither in 2009, hence the inconsistent offense that could move the ball but not score and craptacular 4th collapses on D.

The Defense was awful last year, but they get a mulligan because they and Ben carried the Steelers to XLIII when the offense was screwing up. In 2009, when the Defense was struggling, the Offense couldn't get it done themselves. I forgot the exact stat, but the Steelers have been outscored by a wide margin in the 4th quarter. So not only could the D not stop anyone, but the O couldn't do much of anything either.

Rooney II speaking out is only giving the Tomlin critics more ammo that he's not a coach, but rather a mouthpiece. Never before have I seen the Steelers owner have to speak out like this. This has me worried about the team's future.

43Hitman
01-19-2010, 09:28 PM
Personally I don't really give a damn who runs the offense or the defense. All I want is some damn smart football. If BA would use some balance in situations around the goal line or in 3rd and short situations we would be better off. If our ST's could make a freaking tackle or stay in their lanes we would be better off. If our defense could tackle, cover, play smart, create a turnover we would be better off. We need balance, not 70% pass or 70% run, what we need is 52/48 or 53/47 pass/run or run/pass with solid defense.

Edt: And I am getting damn tired of being labeled a hater or fair weather fan for having a different opinion. It's getting really old. Stop with all damn rhetoric and name calling. For God's sake we are STEELER fans not some freaking bungle or clowns fans. All this crap is doing is driving a wedge between us and making us all look like freaking morons. That goes for both sides. I am about done with these boards, it just isn't worth it anymore.

zulater
01-19-2010, 10:52 PM
Personally I don't really give a damn who runs the offense or the defense. All I want is some damn smart football. If BA would use some balance in situations around the goal line or in 3rd and short situations we would be better off. If our ST's could make a freaking tackle or stay in their lanes we would be better off. If our defense could tackle, cover, play smart, create a turnover we would be better off. We need balance, not 70% pass or 70% run, what we need is 52/48 or 53/47 pass/run or run/pass with solid defense.

Edt: And I am getting damn tired of being labeled a hater or fair weather fan for having a different opinion. It's getting really old. Stop with all damn rhetoric and name calling. For God's sake we are STEELER fans not some freaking bungle or clowns fans. All this crap is doing is driving a wedge between us and making us all look like freaking morons. That goes for both sides. I am about done with these boards, it just isn't worth it anymore.

Hater. :coffee:

:chuckle::wink02:

MasterOfPuppets
01-20-2010, 12:08 AM
he doesnt acquiese to the masses or he woulda simply fired arians (although thats not his job).

but it does appear el hefe, who knows more football than all of us, and who should be trusted with any decision made, knows what many fans (who were labeled "haters") have been saying all along.

he also agrees that the loss of polamalu and smith were dramatic to our defense and younger players need to be brought along quicker and not rot away on the bench.

:thumbsup: i think he is doing a fantastic job as the new president since dan stepped down. i agree ....but its somewhat odd that the head honcho has to step in and " make suggestion" ... tomlin has talked several times about the running game, and situational football ...yet he allowed that disaster in clevland to happen, instead of pulling the staff together , at least by halftime, and making adjustments to the scheme.

tony hipchest
01-20-2010, 12:36 AM
i agree ....but its somewhat odd that the head honcho has to step in and " make suggestion" ... tomlin has talked several times about the running game, and situational football ...yet he allowed that disaster in clevland to happen, instead of pulling the staff together , at least by halftime, and making adjustments to the scheme.i think tomlin is a great coach. he is definitely my favorite in the entire league. (for reference jon gruden and tony dungy were also one of my favorites).

but he is by no means a finished product, and definitely not perfect. he is still young. he has great people to give advice and help his development. i think he has all the potential to win 3 more rings before his young career is through.

i praised him for tightening the reigns on arians last season after willie complained about the lack of running, and am somewhat disappointed those reigns were loosened so much this season.

i hope he gets back to the words he stated on the day he was hired. those same words were said by the owners as the reason he was hired.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=44491

perhaps its good the owner sent him a reminder of his own words and the job description he signed up for. and its also good that it seems that arians using the steelers a stepping stone will no longer be tolerated (although i guess crazy al and the raiders could still come calling).

Steeldude
01-20-2010, 01:42 AM
IMO, at times it seems tomlin says what he thinks you want to hear.

X-Terminator
01-20-2010, 08:54 AM
he doesnt acquiese to the masses or he woulda simply fired arians (although thats not his job).

And thank God for that. They'd never win a damn thing if he continually acquiesced to the masses.

:thumbsup: i think he is doing a fantastic job as the new president since dan stepped down.

Some people don't like that he's been outspoken...I personally don't have a problem with it. It's not like he's Jerruh Jones, walking along the sidelines when the team is losing and constantly sticking his nose into the coaches' business. He's the President - he's allowed to make suggestions on what his team needs to do on the field to be successful, but still lets the coaches coach. And you are right - he knows more about football than anyone on this message board.

That said, the author of the article was just speculating that Art II thought about firing Arians. That's all it's EVER been in that regard - no one really knows for sure if he was going to suggest that he be fired. So I'm going to take him at his word when he said firing Arians was never discussed with Tomlin, while clearly defining what changes he wants to see made to the offensive scheme.

steeldawg
01-20-2010, 09:03 AM
I agree!!!!!!! its our situational play calling that needs fixed.. Our offense moved the ball in chunks untill we hit the redzone and then we were dreadful.

Bobby_Walden
01-20-2010, 11:26 AM
So refreshing to hear soundness of mind coming from the best ownership in pro sports.

Clearly the boss sees what most qualified football minds already know.

So glad we have the Rooney's running the show. Sanity restored. So glad he stepped in and stated what needed to be said. love that family. The best.

You look around pro sports and see so much wavering and impulsive decisions. Not here in Pittsburgh...this ownership is like a rock. Steady. They do not make quick knee jerk reactions to the business of running a pro sports powerhouse.

For almost 40 years this team has been at the top of the NFL. In 85-88 we were down and rebuilding...in 98-00 we had a similar drop-off. But clearly this organization has overwhelmingly been at the pinnacle of the NFL. Steady and unwavering.

It's times like this when you hear Mr. Rooney and KC speak about the team...you really have to marvel. They get it. They let the fans know they get it. We all saw it. This team showed traits of other teams. NOT Steeler traits.

Not running the ball tough.
Chucking it up 40+ times a game.
Caving in and losing leads.

NOT Steeler ball. Something needed to be done. And was done. The team was reminded that this was not going to continue. Steeler ball will return...OR...some will continue their life's work elsewhere. You can be sure of it.

Some have left already. More will go, if we try to be the 02 Browns.

That won't happen here. Mr. Rooney will not allow it. A great sigh of relief from Steeler Nation.

Mike T. may be a fine coach, he is learning...right now...from Mr. Rooney.

I have faith this ownership knows what kind of product it wants to put on the field.
A tough defense. Power running mixed with downfield passing. Balanced. Tough.
The kind of offense that wears another team down in the fourth qtr.

Read an interesting take the other day on the so called pass happy offenses of the last 10-12 yrs. Colts, Rams, Pats all could run it anytime they wanted. See the early 90's Oilers, Falcons for what happens when you only can pass it. It was a good read. Sorry can't find the link.

Looking forward to Tough Power Steeler Football again...now that Mr. Rooney has restored sanity.

Ben R. = employee
MT = employee
BA = employee

Never forget it.

Love the Rooney's.

Atranox
01-20-2010, 12:25 PM
"Steelers football" is winning. It has nothing to do with how to achieve that, whether it be via the passing attack or the ground attack.
"Tough Steelers football" is a mentality that has nothing to do with the philisophy of the offense.

Honestly, I cringe every time I see anyone mention those terms or anything similar. If you fail to adapt to the evolving NFL, you get left behind. I know that you aren't advocating running the ball 90% of the time, but I really fail to see why so some people criticize a pass-first offense. If the offense puts up points and has a high time of possession, then it's doing its job. Yes, our offense needs to score more - but tha really was due to a few bad playcalls and not necessarily the underlining philosophy.

We had perhaps the best power RB in NFL history in Jerome Bettis, and we never even made it to a single Super Bowl with him as the starter. Changing philosophy just because you prefer running the ball is ridiculous, as we have six Lombardis, and ZERO of them were won with a "3 yards and a cloud of dust" philosophy. It's absolutely no coincidence that the majority of conference and Super Bowl winners over the past 10-15 years have been pass-oriented offences. An occasional exception may sneak in, such as the Ravens, but make no doubt about it - teams with dominant passing attacks are more successful in the playoffs rather than teams with dominant run games. Smashmouth football is consistent, but it can't keep up in scoring in today's NFL.

There's nothing wrong with chcuking ball 40+ times. As long as we run the ball on necessary downs, sucha s 3rd and 1's, goallines situations, etc - who cares? Our offense did fine this year. The offense didn't lose any leads nor did it cave in. Remember that this offense, despite being passing oriented, was in the top 5 in terms of time of possession. The DEFENSE lost games, not the offense. Us missing the playoffs had virtually nothing to do with our offensive philospohy. BA may make some dumbassed decisions, but he certainly didn't cost us games.

SteelGhost
01-20-2010, 12:33 PM
"Steelers football" is winning. It has nothing to do with how to achieve that, whether it be via the passing attack or the ground attack.
"Tough Steelers football" is a mentality that has nothing to do with the philisophy of the offense.

We had perhaps the best power RB in NFL history in Jerome Bettis, and we never even made it to a single Super Bowl with him as the starter. Changing philosophy just because you prefer running the ball is ridiculous, as we have six Lombardis, and ZERO of them were won with a "3 yards and a cloud of dust" philosophy.

It's absolutely no coincidence that the majority of conference and Super Bowl winners over the past 10-15 years have been pass-oriented offences. An occasional exception may sneak in, such as the Ravens, but make no doubt about it - teams with dominant passing attacks are more successful in the playoffs rather than teams with dominant run games. Smashmouth football is consistent, but it can't keep up in scoring in today's NFL.

There's nothing wrong with chcuking ball 40+ times. As long as we run the ball on necessary downs, sucha s 3rd and 1's, goallines situations, etc - who cares? Our offense did fine this year. The offense didn't lose any leads nor did it cave in. Remember that this offense, despite being passing oriented, was in the top 5 in terms of time of possession. The DEFENSE lost games, not the offense. Us missing the playoffs had virtually nothing to do with our offensive philospohy. BA may make some dumbassed decisions, but he certainly didn't cost us games.

And they had Trent Dilfer as their QB :chuckle:

Bobby_Walden
01-20-2010, 12:40 PM

We had perhaps the best power RB in NFL history in Jerome Bettis, and we never even made it to a single Super Bowl with him as the starter. Changing philosophy just because you prefer running the ball is ridiculous, as we have six Lombardis, and ZERO of them were won with a "3 yards and a cloud of dust" philosophy.

It's absolutely no coincidence that the majority of conference and Super Bowl winners over the past 10-15 years have been pass-oriented offences. An occasional exception may sneak in, such as the Ravens, but make no doubt about it - teams with dominant passing attacks are more successful in the playoffs rather than teams with dominant run games. Smashmouth football is consistent, but it can't keep up in scoring in today's NFL.

Steeler teams have strived to run the ball well. Not this one. If you cannot see that, tough. Mr. Rooney saw it.

Running the ball tough sure as hell does define your attitude as a team. Who do you think the team plays in practice ?

Superbowl 9. Look at the stats.

Steeler football, returning courtesy of Mr. Rooney.

Love the Rooney's. Smart people.

JEFF4i
01-20-2010, 02:37 PM
Grrr, many of you are missing the point. The Colts are pass-happy. Why? Look at their QB and Addai's numbers. I can give other examples, but you get the point.

This is not about smashmouth running any more than it is about pass-happy. This is about winning, passing when necessary, running when necessary. Our defense is incredibly solid, but not young. So when we're up by 17 in the 4th, let Rashard get his touches, call a fleaflicker, be random, but make sure it is with plays that expend the clock. Then your defense spends the least amount of time on the field. And if they still give up 14, and you're only up by 3, you go back into scoring mode.

Atranox
01-20-2010, 06:55 PM
Superbowl 9. Look at the stats.

Are you really using stats from 35 years ago to justify your claim?

revefsreleets
01-21-2010, 11:48 AM
Are you really using stats from 35 years ago to justify your claim?

LOL...If you go back far enough, there WAS no forward pass. And nothing would surprise me from these posters anymore, nothing....