PDA

View Full Version : Steelers close to hiring special teams coach

7willBheaven
01-19-2010, 01:42 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10019/1029370-100.stm

Steelers close to hiring special teams coach
Tuesday, January 19, 2010
Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers are close to hiring a new special teams coordinator -- Al Everest, who spent the past three seasons in a similar role with the San Francisco 49ers.

Everest, 59, has visited with Coach Mike Tomlin and is expected to reach agreement with the team to replace Bob Ligashesky, who was fired after the season.

Everest's contract was not renewed by the 49ers, who hired Kurt Schottenheimer as his replacement.

Steelers>NFL
01-19-2010, 02:55 PM
Steelers hires thus far keeps getting better and better! :noidea:

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
01-19-2010, 03:08 PM
Steelers expected to hire Everest
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 19, 2010 1:37 PM ET
Al Everest is set to climb back into the NFL.

The Steelers are close to hiring the former 49ers special teams coordinator, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Pittsburgh fired Bob Ligashesky after an ugly special teams campaign for the Steelers in 2008.

Everest reportedly went rogue on Mike Singletary in San Francisco, calling for a reverse on a punt return without telling his boss.

The ensuing fumbled exchange didn't help Everest's chances for having his contract renewed, although San Francisco's return units struggled across the board. The 49ers had the worst punt return average of any team in the league last season.

profootballtalk.com

MACH1
01-19-2010, 03:18 PM
although San Francisco's return units struggled across the board. The 49ers had the worst punt return average of any team in the league last season.

That doesn't sound to promising.

Angus Burgher
01-19-2010, 03:24 PM
Great! Someone else who sucks! He should fit right in with our ingenious coaching staff!

steeltheone
01-19-2010, 03:31 PM
Your telling me there was no promising young guy who is successfull at his current job that would not come to Pittsburgh?

VolatileMan
01-19-2010, 03:35 PM
I live in No. California and this hire blows.
His replacement for the niners hasnt coached special teams specifically since 1994 but the niner organization still believe he will do better than this smuck we are about to hire.

Really, its a big WTF hire if you ask me

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-19-2010, 03:39 PM
I cant wait until he is hired so that I can be the FIRST to start a "Fire Everest" thread.

(We reaaaaaallllllyyyy need a sarcasm smiley)

fansince'76
01-19-2010, 03:50 PM
Can we see how the guy actually does before we crucify him? :coffee:

7willBheaven
01-19-2010, 03:59 PM

Exactly...you cant really use what he did with OTHER players on ANOTHER team to tell what he's going to do with OUR players on OUR team. Logan is a better returner right now than Rossum and all, so thats a plus to begin with. No matter how good or bad a coach is the players still have to perform, theres only so much a coach can do, and if the players dont perform or execute the strategy right nobody wins...and people say oh the coach sucks or whatever...which isnt always true (sometimes it is but still).

fansince'76
01-19-2010, 04:02 PM
Everest reportedly went rogue on Mike Singletary in San Francisco, calling for a reverse on a punt return without telling his boss.

The ensuing fumbled exchange didn't help Everest's chances for having his contract renewed, although San Francisco's return units struggled across the board. The 49ers had the worst punt return average of any team in the league last season.

profootballtalk.com

And the other side of the coin:

In 2004, five of Everest's players won NFC Special Teams Player of the Week awards. In 2002, his unit had three touchdown returns and five blocked kicks.

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=433371

solardave
01-19-2010, 04:22 PM
Steelers expected to hire Everest
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 19, 2010 1:37 PM ET
Al Everest is set to climb back into the NFL.

The Steelers are close to hiring the former 49ers special teams coordinator, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Pittsburgh fired Bob Ligashesky after an ugly special teams campaign for the Steelers in 2008.

profootballtalk.com

What are we shopping in the bargain basement or something?:banging:

memphissteelergirl
01-19-2010, 04:38 PM
What are we shopping in the bargain basement or something?:banging:

Please see Post #11 from fs76...

Honestly...the man hasn't set one foot in Pittsburgh and already y'all are jumping on him like fleas on a dog.

Let's just see how things work out, shall we? :noidea:

Psyychoward86
01-19-2010, 04:55 PM
um, have u even seen this guys resume?

Al Everest....

couldnt find much about him, but here's a couple of good words that ive found:

1) 36 years of coaching experience

2) When he was special teams coach of the 49ers, he made KR Allen Rossum, P Andy Lee, and ST Michael Robinson pro-bowl alternates. Allen Rossum had his best year as a KR by far under Al Everest, and Andy Lee has NOW become a pro-bowl punter this year. In 2004, five of Everest's players won NFC Special Teams Player of the Week awards. In 2002, his unit had three touchdown returns and five blocked kicks..

3) From 2000-2005 as the ST coordinator for the Saints, he coached 3 more pro-bowlers. in 2002, he was named Special Teams Coach of the Year. His special teams unit with the Saints ranked near the top of the league in all categories.

4) If my sources are correct, he was also a head coach in Italy and won the Italian Championship

I bolded the more intriguing things about him...

Sources: http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=433371
http://www.49erswebzone.com/content/...iew.php?id=754

Psyychoward86
01-19-2010, 04:57 PM
obviously there's no way he's any good :coffee:

get all the facts, AND give people a chance before u stone them

ricardisimo
01-19-2010, 05:10 PM
Exactly...you cant really use what he did with OTHER players on ANOTHER team to tell what he's going to do with OUR players on OUR team. Logan is a better returner right now than Rossum and all, so thats a plus to begin with. No matter how good or bad a coach is the players still have to perform, theres only so much a coach can do, and if the players dont perform or execute the strategy right nobody wins...and people say oh the coach sucks or whatever...which isnt always true (sometimes it is but still).

Are you saying that you can't predict future performance based on past performance? You can't predict anything, of course, but past performance is obviously the closest thing you will ever get to a crystal ball.

In hindsight, Ligashesky's suck-wad performance with the Jags and Rams should have been a clear indicator of his future performance. Instead, we hired him... and then fired him, still with suck-wad written all over him.

I'd love for the guy to succeed. I'll say that much. I just can't believe that there isn't some promising young man in the college ranks who might prove to be better than this retread.

Psyychoward86
01-19-2010, 05:13 PM
Are you saying that you can't predict future performance based on past performance? You can't predict anything, of course, but past performance is obviously the closest thing you will ever get to a crystal ball.

In hindsight, Ligashesky's suck-wad performance with the Jags and Rams should have been a clear indicator of his future performance. Instead, we hired him... and then fired him, still with suck-wad written all over him.

I'd love for the guy to succeed. I'll say that much. I just can't believe that there isn't some promising young man in the college ranks who might prove to be better than this retread.

wow.

u did not read my post about al everest at all

ricardisimo
01-19-2010, 05:16 PM
wow.

u did not read my post about al everest at all

Yeah, he won the Italian Championship. That blew my socks right off.

SteelGhost
01-19-2010, 05:19 PM
Whoever the FO and CS decide to hire deserves the benefit of the doubt IMHO :noidea:

MACH1
01-19-2010, 05:25 PM
In 2004, five of Everest's players won NFC Special Teams Player of the Week awards. In 2002, his unit had three touchdown returns and five blocked kicks.

Lets hope he can get that kind of production out of our unit.

Indo
01-19-2010, 05:35 PM
Yeah, he won the Italian Championship. That blew my socks right off.

Is it selective attention, selective comprehension, or the fact that you just enjoy being contrary?

Try reading it again. S-l-o-w-e-r this time.

ricardisimo
01-19-2010, 05:40 PM
Wow. You're right... I read it slower, and now I'm not impressed at all by that business in Italy. What was I thinking?

This is from a sister thread, and I think much more informative:
Steelers kick returns: 23.1 y/return 1 TD
SF's kick returns: 22.9 y/return 1 TD

Steelers punt returns: 6.7 y/return 0 TD's
SF's punt returns: 7.4 y/return 0 TD's

Steelers kick coverage: 22.0 y/return 5 TD's
SF's kick coverage: 22.4 y/return 2 TD's

Steelers punt coverage: 8.1 y/return 2 TD's
SF's punt coverage: 8.5 y/return 1 TD
As vrabinec points out in that other thread, this looks very much like a lateral move.

Psyychoward86
01-19-2010, 06:19 PM
Al Everest....

couldnt find much about him, but here's a couple of good words that ive found:

1) 36 years of coaching experience

2) When he was special teams coach of the 49ers, he made KR Allen Rossum, P Andy Lee, and ST Michael Robinson pro-bowl alternates. Allen Rossum had his best year as a KR by far under Al Everest, and Andy Lee has NOW become a pro-bowl punter this year. In 2004, five of Everest's players won NFC Special Teams Player of the Week awards. In 2002, his unit had three touchdown returns and five blocked kicks..

3) From 2000-2005 as the ST coordinator for the Saints, he coached 3 more pro-bowlers. in 2002, he was named Special Teams Coach of the Year. His special teams unit with the Saints ranked near the top of the league in all categories.

4) If my sources are correct, he was also a head coach in Italy and won the Italian Championship :chuckle:

I bolded the more intriguing things about him...

Sources: http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=433371
http://www.49erswebzone.com/content/commentary/view.php?id=754

Here's the best info u will ever have on Al Everest. For all of you pessimists

ricardisimo
01-19-2010, 06:29 PM
That's like saying this (http://news.steelers.com/team/coach/49266/) is the best info we will ever have on Ligashesky:
Bob Ligashesky enters his third season with the Steelers after he was hired on Jan. 29, 2007, as the team’s special teams coordinator.

Ligashesky, 46, is a native of Pittsburgh and has 25 years of coaching experience, including six in the NFL and 19 in the collegiate ranks.

Along with assistant special teams coach Amos Jones, Ligashesky’s unit became the top coverage unit in the NFL in 2008. Pittsburgh ranked first in kick coverage (19.1 avg.) and fourth in punt coverage (6.2 avg.). Additionally, Santonio Holmes set a franchise postseason record by returning a punt 67 yards for a score during the Steelers’ 35-24 AFC Divisional Game victory over the San Diego Chargers.

Ligashesky (lig-a-SHES-kee) spent two seasons as the special teams coach for the St. Louis Rams, prior to joining Pittsburgh (2005, 2006). The Rams’ special teams unit in 2005 scored its first touchdown on a kickoff return since 2000 as Chris Johnson returned the opening kickoff 99 yards for the score in Week 5 againstSeattle. Last season also marked the third time since the Rams moved to St. Louis in 1995 that the club had at least two blocked kicks in a season. Ligashesky’s unit also forced and recovered fumbles on special teams for the first time since 2000.
Great stuff... and yet we fired him, and for good reason.

Let's be clear about one thing: we all hope Everest is a winner and a keeper.

Psyychoward86
01-19-2010, 06:32 PM
That's like saying this (http://news.steelers.com/team/coach/49266/) is the best info we will ever have on Ligashesky:

Great stuff... and yet we fired him, and for good reason.

Let's be clear about one thing: we all hope Everest is a winner and a keeper.

Nope. Not at all actually. Al Everest has a much, much longer track record as an effective special teams coach.

what ligasheky's ST did was for one year. And only our coverage was good last year

Vincent
01-19-2010, 07:43 PM
I live in No. California and this hire blows.
His replacement for the niners hasnt coached special teams specifically since 1994 but the niner organization still believe he will do better than this smuck we are about to hire.

Really, its a big WTF hire if you ask me

"...reluctant to take charge." "A familiar pattern has emerged with Tomlin, who still hasn't established his own coaching identity with the Steelers."

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showpost.php?p=760221&postcount=3

MT assembled a weak offensive staff to start with and did nothing to improve it. Now when faced with the ultimatum to improve, he ignores the obvious weakest link, cans a few obvious scapegoats and replaces them with more weakness. I am less impressed with this young man with each passing day.

I'll ask the ugly question. This is a very weak coach. Who, of significance, could he attract to work for him?

Northside Jonny
01-19-2010, 08:45 PM
A change of scenery and a better organization can't hurt this guy give a chance steelernation.

43Hitman
01-19-2010, 09:11 PM

This is how I feel as well. We did have the worst unit in the league or damn close anyways, so anything will probably be an improvement. Have the Fire Tomlin threads started yet, because it's only a matter of time now.

SteelerFanInStl
01-19-2010, 09:28 PM
Nope. Not at all actually. Al Everest has a much, much longer track record as an effective special teams coach.

what ligasheky's ST did was for one year. And only our coverage was good last year

But what has he done recently? I haven't seen anything great that he's done since 2004. As the other thread showed, he hasn't been any better than Ligashesky the last 3 years.

I sure hope that he works out but I'd also hate to have to go through another 3 years of lousy STs play.

Psyychoward86
01-19-2010, 10:00 PM
But what has he done recently? I haven't seen anything great that he's done since 2004. As the other thread showed, he hasn't been any better than Ligashesky the last 3 years.

I sure hope that he works out but I'd also hate to have to go through another 3 years of lousy STs play.

to be fair, it's fairly recent. And in latter years, he hasn't had much of the personnel to much of anything at all. I understand that the coach is supposed to make the players, not the other way around, but at some point, the coach is going to look bad if u get my drift.

i know that sounds contradictory, but i think if he gets hired, we'll definitely be better off than last year. Based on what he has typically done.

memphissteelergirl
01-20-2010, 09:29 AM
This is how I feel as well. We did have the worst unit in the league or damn close anyways, so anything will probably be an improvement. Have the Fire Tomlin threads started yet, because it's only a matter of time now.

Please don't give Vincent "King of the Embittered Rants" any ideas. :shake01:

markymarc
01-22-2010, 01:19 PM
I still don't think it was fair that Bob Ligashesky was fired. I understand that our special teams coverage was horrible, but Bob could only work with what players were given to him.

Isn't it funny how Amos Jones was not even considered to interview for this opening :chuckle:

Welcome to the best franchise in all of sports Al Everest :tt02: Good luck in getting our entire special teams turned around and please get some blockers for Stefan Logan!