PDA

View Full Version : Stats comparison of San Fran's special teams to ours over the last 3 years

vrabinec
01-19-2010, 02:03 PM
Since it looks like we're gonna hire the former SF special teams coach...(yes, I realize personnel makes a difference, but it's fair to compare to see if we're seriously upgrading)

Last 3 years:

Steelers kick returns: 23.1 y/return 1 TD
SF's kick returns: 22.9 y/return 1 TD

Steelers punt returns: 6.7 y/return 0 TD's
SF's punt returns: 7.4 y/return 0 TD's

Steelers kick coverage: 22.0 y/return 5 TD's
SF's kick coverage: 22.4 y/return 2 TD's

Steelers punt coverage: 8.1 y/return 2 TD's
SF's punt coverage: 8.5 y/return 1 TD

Well, I dunno, just on the surface, it looks like a lateral move we made after realising we weren't gonna get Bobby April.

Angus Burgher
01-19-2010, 03:27 PM
Did we even make a play for April? Or is this another case of Mike Tomlin's "I'll hire any asshole off the street and turn him into a brilliant coach" mentality?

vrabinec
01-19-2010, 03:40 PM
Did we even make a play for April? Or is this another case of Mike Tomlin's "I'll hire any asshole off the street and turn him into a brilliant coach" mentality?

It might be something like "Damn, I can't believe I cut Madison to keep both Burnette and Lewis because I couldn't make up my mind between them, and neither of them could play special teams, then I had to go get Madison back. Better find a scapegoat, how about the ST coach?"

I dunno. I would rather have had some fiery kid than a retreat. Hope I'm wrong and this guy is solid.

supa_fly_steeler
01-19-2010, 03:42 PM
eh who cares were not known for special teams, let the big dawgs play and let the little men be on the special teams grinding out extra yardage.

it may also note, san francisco has been severley shit the past few years.

Galax Steeler
01-19-2010, 03:47 PM
There is not alot of difference between the two I guess we will have basicly the same as last year.

nikstar
01-19-2010, 05:29 PM
Me thinks Zierlin prolly chose to keep the 2 corners and that's why he's not here anymore?
Me thinks Tomlin addressed the decision when he needed to and when madison was available
Me thinks this is a good hire and that special teams will be better next year

Angus Burgher
01-19-2010, 05:41 PM
I don't know... I'm getting really sick of the "let's wait and give this guy a chance" approach. Why? Well, when was the last time you were actually fired up about a coach that the Steelers hire? If we would have picked up Bobby April, wouldn't that have been exciting? Or if we had acquired someone else with a great track record, would that have got you revved up for next season?

But instead we traded the worst kickoff return coverage for, apparently, the worst punt return average.

Add that to an O-Line coach who complained that the reason his line sucked last year was that he was coaching a bunch of new guys. Um, think about that for a second. While our O-Line guys aren't new, they are new to him. Add on the fact that they already give up a shitload of sacks and have a lot of problems run-blocking despite being "built for it."

These new hires suck. I want to be proven wrong, but I'm worried that I won't be.

SteelGhost
01-19-2010, 05:43 PM
Me thinks Zierlin prolly chose to keep the 2 corners and that's why he's not here anymore?
Me thinks Tomlin addressed the decision when he needed to and when madison was available
Me thinks this is a good hire and that special teams will be better next year

Do you mean LeBeau and/or Horton chose to keep two corners ? Zierlin was the OL coach, he and Ligashesky were the ones fired.

SteelGhost
01-19-2010, 05:46 PM
I don't know... I'm getting really sick of the "let's wait and give this guy a chance" approach. Why? Well, when was the last time you were actually fired up about a coach that the Steelers hire? If we would have picked up Bobby April, wouldn't that have been exciting? Or if we had acquired someone else with a great track record, would that have got you revved up for next season?

But instead we traded the worst kickoff return coverage for, apparently, the worst punt return average.

Add that to an O-Line coach who complained that the reason his line sucked last year was that he was coaching a bunch of new guys. Um, think about that for a second. While our O-Line guys aren't new, they are new to him. Add on the fact that they already give up a shitload of sacks and have a lot of problems run-blocking despite being "built for it."

These new hires suck. I want to be proven wrong, but I'm worried that I won't be.

Hell yeah ! ... but Bobby chose the Eagles :noidea:

Angus Burgher
01-19-2010, 05:49 PM
I know. God I hate Philadephia. But at least I can rest easy knowing that the Eagles, no matter how many big name players or coaches they pick up, will never, ever win a Super Bowl. Choking is part of the culture in Philly.

Psyychoward86
01-19-2010, 06:17 PM
Al Everest....

couldnt find much about him, but here's a couple of good words that ive found:

1) 36 years of coaching experience

2) When he was special teams coach of the 49ers, he made KR Allen Rossum, P Andy Lee, and ST Michael Robinson pro-bowl alternates. Allen Rossum had his best year as a KR by far under Al Everest, and Andy Lee has NOW become a pro-bowl punter this year. In 2004, five of Everest's players won NFC Special Teams Player of the Week awards. In 2002, his unit had three touchdown returns and five blocked kicks..

3) From 2000-2005 as the ST coordinator for the Saints, he coached 3 more pro-bowlers. in 2002, he was named Special Teams Coach of the Year. His special teams unit with the Saints ranked near the top of the league in all categories.

4) If my sources are correct, he was also a head coach in Italy and won the Italian Championship :chuckle:

I bolded the more intriguing things about him...

Sources: http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=433371
http://www.49erswebzone.com/content/commentary/view.php?id=754

i guess i bought to post this for all the pessimists

steelreserve
01-19-2010, 06:19 PM
Part of the 49ers' problem on special teams might be that most of their players weren't very good to begin with.

On the other hand, hiring coaches that weren't even good enough for the 49ers generally does not strike me as the way toward building a successful team.

Psyychoward86
01-19-2010, 06:20 PM
Part of the 49ers' problem on special teams might be that most of their players weren't very good to begin with.

On the other hand, hiring coaches that weren't even good enough for the 49ers generally does not strike me as the way toward building a successful team.

see the above post

SH-Rock
01-19-2010, 06:24 PM
So what are the options left for special team coaches?

Psyychoward86
01-19-2010, 06:25 PM
So what are the options left for special team coaches?

This is probably the guy, and see my above post if u honestly believe he's no good

ricardisimo
01-19-2010, 06:56 PM
This is probably the guy, and see my above post if u honestly believe he's no good

Wow... you really love that post of yours, don't you?

Like I said in the other thread, I hope he's a winner and a keeper.

Psyychoward86
01-19-2010, 09:54 PM
Wow... you really love that post of yours, don't you?

Like I said in the other thread, I hope he's a winner and a keeper.

u talk as if he has no upside

do some research

ricardisimo
01-20-2010, 02:21 AM
u talk as if he has no upside

do some research

And "u" talk as if this post "u" keep copying and pasting over and over again has next week's winning SuperLotto numbers hidden somewhere in it.

Like I've said repeatedly now, I want the guy to be a winner and a keeper for us. That would be fantastic. I'd like to think we can all rally around the guy.

Now, if you press me on the issue, I'll tell you that a guy who's been in the biz for 36 years, had a handful of good ones, by most statistical analyses peaked in 2002, and is now being fired by a fairly crappy 49ers team after posting very similar numbers to Ligashesky... well, I'll tell you that he doesn't exactly seem like the sort of steal that Bobby April would have been.

I'll also tell you that the Steelers have a long history - predating Tomlin, to be sure - of talking about Special Teams being important, and then behaving in a completely different manner. This seems to fit that pattern. If losing three or four games during this title defense year specifically because of poor STs play actually meant anything to the Steelers, they would have ponied up the bucks for April. They didn't do that, because they really don't care all that much about STs, as they've shown pretty much every year since April was last here.

Rick5895
01-20-2010, 07:50 AM
Hiring positional coaches, at any level, often times comes down to how they may fit with the team they are going to. Obviously coach Everest is a decent coach. Perhaps he will fit with the players here much better. He has done some good things with the teams he has been with in the past. OUr coverage units were better down the stretch, Logan was much better down the stretch, maybe Coach Everst will be the right guy for the job right now. I am hoping so. In the NFL the best coaches have the pick of the jobs. Just because a guy is let go from one team doesn't mean he isn't a good coach. My bet is that Everest will do a good job here.

steelpride12
01-20-2010, 09:13 AM
Well we can all take sides and say we are down grading or staying even with our ST woes from last season, and some can say you never know what he can do with the Steelers, a different team means different outcome, but come on give him a chance.

Its the same as our Arians situations for the past two seasons. He is not the one who returns punts/kickoffs or makes the ST tackle. Its the way his team plays around him and I feel the Steelers have more fight and will on their ST's than any 49er team. Im giving him a chance, and until the season is over no judgments yet.

vrabinec
01-20-2010, 09:45 AM

I think the problem Kugler had in Buffalo was that they traded his All-Pro tackle before the season, then he had 4 of his 5 starters get injured, and in some cases the backups got injured too, so he basically had the equivalent of Hills, Urbik, Hartwig, Parquet, and Legursky as his starters, so I'm willing to grant him a little kvetching about who he had to work with.

As far as this special teams coach, I posted the stats because I was disappointed like you were. I know the guy won NFL Special Teams coach of the year in 2002, but that doesn't cut it with me. The stats speak louder than old awards. Let's hope you and I are both wrong on that one.

Psyychoward86
01-20-2010, 04:41 PM
And "u" talk as if this post "u" keep copying and pasting over and over again has next week's winning SuperLotto numbers hidden somewhere in it.

Like I've said repeatedly now, I want the guy to be a winner and a keeper for us. That would be fantastic. I'd like to think we can all rally around the guy.

Now, if you press me on the issue, I'll tell you that a guy who's been in the biz for 36 years, had a handful of good ones, by most statistical analyses peaked in 2002, and is now being fired by a fairly crappy 49ers team after posting very similar numbers to Ligashesky... well, I'll tell you that he doesn't exactly seem like the sort of steal that Bobby April would have been.

I'll also tell you that the Steelers have a long history - predating Tomlin, to be sure - of talking about Special Teams being important, and then behaving in a completely different manner. This seems to fit that pattern. If losing three or four games during this title defense year specifically because of poor STs play actually meant anything to the Steelers, they would have ponied up the bucks for April. They didn't do that, because they really don't care all that much about STs, as they've shown pretty much every year since April was last here.

What. Lol, our special teams have sucked in general since the Cowher Era. This isnt new or anything. You havent seen a large enough sample of Mike Tomlin's special teams to call it bad/unimportant to him. He's been here for 3 years, 2 bad ST years, 1 good one. And if continue to suck in this department, uh it's always been that way anyways.

markymarc
01-22-2010, 01:34 PM
While it's unfortunate we didn't get Bobby April, Al Everest is our new special teams coach. Obviously Bobby didn't like something in Pittsburgh whether it be not enough money or possibly more power and he is now in Philadelphia. The best special teams coach got scooped up by the Eagles and it's not like there were any other superior coaches remaining.

I welcome Al to the Steelers and can't wait to see what he can do for our special teams. Let's see if Kevin Colbert and Mike Tomlin can get some more special teams "demon" players for Al to work with. Just like when Bob was here he can only work with the players given to him.