PDA

View Full Version : Steelers tap Fichtner as quarterbacks coach

MACH1
01-19-2010, 02:28 PM
Steelers tap Fichtner as quarterbacks coach
Tuesday, January 19, 2010
By Chuck Finder, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers today reshuffled one coaching assignment to provide Ben Roethlisberger with a new quarterbacks coach and added a potential special-team tackler.

As expected, team officials formally announced that third-year receivers coach Randy Fichtner will move to quarterbacks coach, replacing Ken Anderson, who retired at season's end.

Fichtner coached quarterbacks at Memphis from 1990-93 and 2001-06, when he was also offensive coordinator, plus from 1997-2000 at Arkansas State, where he worked with Steelers coach Mike Tomlin.

The Steelers also signed another Canadian Football League player to bolster their special teams. The club announced today it signed linebacker Derrick Doggett, a 6-foot, 210-pound undrafted free agent from Oregon State who made 27 tackles on special teams with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers in 2009. He played the season earlier with the Edmonton Eskimos. He collected nine tackles and one interception as a linebacker.

ricardisimo
01-19-2010, 04:13 PM
This is an upward move for him, right?

Psyychoward86
01-19-2010, 04:16 PM
i feel good about this move. Better to promote Fichtner who's a proven commodity and find someone else to coach a less important position

ricardisimo
01-19-2010, 04:18 PM
I think his unit was arguably the strongest on the entire team, offense and defense. I actually thought he would get the nod at OC had Arians been fired.

stillers4me
01-19-2010, 04:37 PM
So now we need a WR coach.

steelerdave1969
01-19-2010, 05:24 PM
So now we need a WR coach.

Kind of what I was thinking Stillers... But if the guy is gonna do the job that Ken Anderson has started with Ben then I hope they have a nice relationship. I think that it was very important that they got someone that Ben was aquanted with for sure. I just hope he can con Ben into getting rid of the ball a little quicker. Ben could save about 30 % of the sacks if he would just do that.

mesaSteeler
01-19-2010, 11:04 PM
Fichtner new QB coach
http://www.observer-reporter.com/www/sidelines/index.html

The Steelers have moved wide receivers coach Randy to quarterbacks quarterbacks coach.

Fichtner replaces Ken Anderson, who retired at the end of the season.

Fichtner coached the quarterbacks at Memphis from 1990-93 and from 2001-06, when he also was the offensive coordinator. He was the quarterbacks coach at Arkansas State from 1997-2000, when he first worked with Tomlin.

Fichtner also coached at Purdue, where he was in charge of recruiting besides coaching the wide receivers. He joined Tomlin’s staff in 2007.

Fichtner would appear to be the offensive coordinator in waiting should the team decide at some point to part ways with offensive coordinator Bruce Arians in the future.

© The Steelers bolstered their depth at linebacker - and on special teams - by signing free agent linebacker Derrick Doggett.

Doggett (6-0, 210), who will enter his first year in the NFL, has played in the CFL for two years with the Edmonton Eskimos and most recently the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. In his two seasons, he amassed nine tackles on defense and one interception. Doggett has excelled on special teams, where he recorded 27 tackles last year with the Blue Bombers

As an undrafted rookie free agent out of Oregon State in 2008, Doggett was signed by the Eskimos and recorded six tackles on special teams. In 2008, he was signed by the Blue Bombers where he recorded nine tackles on defense, 27 special teams tackles and one interception.

© The Seattle Seahawks hired Green Bay Packers executive John Schneider as their new general manager.
The Seahawks confirmed the hiring of the 38-year-old Schneider, a 17-year veteran of NFL personnel work, Tuesday afternoon. ESPN first reported the deal.
The move means that Omar Khan, who was a finalist for the job, will remain with the Steelers.

posted by Dale Lolley at 5:11 PM 7 Comments Links to this post

mesaSteeler
01-21-2010, 06:13 AM
Steelers move Fitchner to quarterbacks coach could spell demise of Arians at OC
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2010m1d19-Steelers-move-Fitchner-to-quarterbacks-coach-could-spell-demise-of-Arians-at-OC
January 19, 3:51 PM
Pittsburgh Sports Examiner
Matt Pawlikowski

The Steelers found their replacement for Ken Anderson at quarterback’s coach, as they promoted wide receivers coach Randy Fitchner to quarterbacks coach.

While some may question this, it may pan out to be a very smart decision on the part of coach Mike Tomlin and the reason may be surprising.

First off, while he coached the wideouts with the Steelers, he is no stranger to mentoring quarterbacks.

Fichtner spent four years (1997-2000) at Arkansas State University. He arrived in Jonesboro as the quarterback coach in the spring of 1997 and was promoted to offensive coordinator in August of 1997.

During his tenure with the Indians, Fichtner worked with quarterback Cleo Lemon, who set virtually every Arkansas State passing and total offense record. Lemon became Arkansas State's all-time leading passer as a junior and added to his totals during the 2000 season before being drafted by San Diego ad now is a backup for Joe Flacco in Baltimore.

He then went to Memphis where he was both the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach.

In 2005, Memphis lost their two starting quarterbacks by the third game of the season. Fichtner had to make adjustments and instructed true freshman Billy Barefield, who led Memphis to an upset win over UTEP and then shifted to leading receiver Maurice Avery who led the Tigers to a 5-2 record and a Motor City Bowl victory as the starting quarterback.

So again he knows how to work with quarterbacks.

Fitchner also loves the spread offense. He instituted the spread offense at Memphis.

But here is why it could pan out to be a very smart decision on Mike Tomlin's part.

While at Memphis, not only did he recruit, but he also coached DeAngelo Williams, now with the Carolina Panthers. All Williams did during his NCAA career was finish as the NCAA record holder in all-purpose yards and 100-yard games (34). He also ended his career ranked fourth all-time in NCAA history in rushing yards with 6,026.

It is highly speculated that Keith Butler is the defensive coordinator in waiting. Considering Fitchner’s college stats, which are much better than Bruce Arians resume, it could possibly pave the way for him to him to replace Arians if the embattled OC doesn't balance the offense better in 2010.

HometownGal
01-21-2010, 06:44 AM
Conspiracy theory #109. Next. :yawn:

Texasteel
01-21-2010, 06:51 AM
To call that a reach would be a gross understatement.

fansince'76
01-21-2010, 09:04 AM
He instituted the spread offense at Memphis.

Which means exactly jack and shit at the NFL level.

And it's "Fichtner," not "Fitchner." I know I've mentioned this before, but Matt Pawlikowski = RETARD.

steelerdave1969
01-21-2010, 09:24 AM
I myself enjoyed the article. I hope that the guy does a great job with Ben and can convince him to just trhow the ball away sometimes. Ben has did a good job of improving every year since he came into the league and I give thanks to Ken Anderson for that. Now someone just needs to teach Ben how to throw the long ball.

Steeldude
01-21-2010, 09:32 AM
sounds like another pass-happy OC. gee joy :doh:

HometownGal
01-21-2010, 09:58 AM
Now someone just needs to teach Ben how to throw the long ball.

In 2009, Ben threw 61 passes of 20+ and 14 passes of 40+ :banging:

Nadroj 20
01-21-2010, 10:10 AM

I dont think ben has a weak arm by any means but there was some passes i saw this year when the WR had to slow up or even wait on the ball.

Its not a big problem IMO but i have noticed it some.

zulater
01-21-2010, 10:11 AM
To call that a reach would be a gross understatement.

IMHO I really don't think it's that much of a reach.

Arians is working on the last year of his contract, I see nothing to suggest the steelers have any intention of extending him. While I realize and respect that many of you don't read into Art II's comments about Bruce that he isn't exactly enamored with him, many , myself included feel that Art is very underwhelmed by BA. Anyway if the orginization has reached the conclusion that Fitchner is an up and comer and just needs another year of seasoning to be a top notch OC don't think for a minute that they wont push Arains out the door, even if next season is somewhat more successfull.

Want precedent. I realize it was a long time ago, but Rod Earhardt was pushed out the door after the Steelers advanced to the Super bowl because the Steelers felt that Chan gailey was a guy with too big of a future to hold back any longer.

In my opinion, for what it's worth ( admittedly next to nothing :chuckle:) I think there's a lot greater chance that Arians wont be on the 2011 staff than that he will be.

I'll gladly make a friendly avater wager to that effect with anyone who's interested. :wink02:

Shoes
01-21-2010, 10:41 AM
[steelerdave1969, would you happen to be an optometrist? :chuckle: :chuckle:

revefsreleets
01-21-2010, 10:53 AM
OMG....really? I just have to shake my head...this is BEYOND a reach.

If Arians is fired, they certainly aren't going to hand over the reigns of the offense to this guy, and LOL at the line "more impressive resume". Memphis? Arkansas State? Cleo Lemon?

Ridiculous. This article is litter box liner.

steelax04
01-21-2010, 11:11 AM
[steelerdave1969, would you happen to be an optometrist? :chuckle: :chuckle:

I always accidentally scroll past his posts and have to come back b/c they look like someone's signature to me.

ricardisimo
01-21-2010, 11:42 AM

+1.

ricardisimo
01-21-2010, 11:45 AM

I read his post as sarcasm... please tell me he was being sarcastic.

HometownGal
01-21-2010, 12:18 PM
I read his post as sarcasm... please tell me he was being sarcastic.

I don't believe it was, but only he'd know the answer to that. :chuckle:

Texasteel
01-21-2010, 12:24 PM
IMHO I really don't think it's that much of a reach.

Arians is working on the last year of his contract, I see nothing to suggest the steelers have any intention of extending him. While I realize and respect that many of you don't read into Art II's comments about Bruce that he isn't exactly enamored with him, many , myself included feel that Art is very underwhelmed by BA. Anyway if the orginization has reached the conclusion that Fitchner is an up and comer and just needs another year of seasoning to be a top notch OC don't think for a minute that they wont push Arains out the door, even if next season is somewhat more successfull.

Want precedent. I realize it was a long time ago, but Rod Earhardt was pushed out the door after the Steelers advanced to the Super bowl because the Steelers felt that Chan gailey was a guy with too big of a future to hold back any longer.

In my opinion, for what it's worth ( admittedly next to nothing :chuckle:) I think there's a lot greater chance that Arians wont be on the 2011 staff than that he will be.

I'll gladly make a friendly avater wager to that effect with anyone who's interested. :wink02:

Again we will have to disagree. I see nothing in the story that support the idea that this is any more than what it shows. A coach that they obviously think a lot of moving to a position that he is acquainted with. In fact I would almost bet that this same story could, and probably would, have been written no matter who had been hired. I see the story as an attempt to capitalize on the uneasiness of the a large part of the fan base, but that is just MY opinion.

Could it happen? Nothing would surprise me. However I still see this a a huge reach, and probably an intentional one.

Also I am very interested your oppinion as well. If I just wanted to hear my own, I would just sit here and talk to myself, and believe me I'm a very boring person. By the way, don't bet your avatar, I kinda like it.

zulater
01-21-2010, 01:17 PM
Again we will have to disagree. I see nothing in the story that support the idea that this is any more than what it shows. A coach that they obviously think a lot of moving to a position that he is acquainted with. In fact I would almost bet that this same story could, and probably would, have been written no matter who had been hired. I see the story as an attempt to capitalize on the uneasiness of the a large part of the fan base, but that is just MY opinion.

Could it happen? Nothing would surprise me. However I still see this a a huge reach, and probably an intentional one.

Also I am very interested your oppinion as well. If I just wanted to hear my own, I would just sit here and talk to myself, and believe me I'm a very boring person. By the way, don't bet your avatar, I kinda like it.

Thanks for the feedback Tex. :thumbsup:

The part about Fitchner may or may not be a reach? :noidea:

But the one thing I hold firm to in my beliefs is that I think Arians is at best a 50/50 proposistion to continue coaching with the Steelers past next season.

Honestly that's not my wish, because the only way the perception of Arians goes up to the point that he'll continue on in his present capacity with the Steelers ( IMO) is if the Steelers offense has as exceptional year and is sound in all phases of the game. And is particuarly situationally strong in the areas that were problematic this year. ( or at least vastly improved)

As much as I want that to be the case, ( I'll gladly eat all the Arians crow anyone wishes to serve up if the above indeeed happens) I really don't see it happening. I just think Arains is too ensconsed in his own views of offensive football than to acquiescence to what Rooney wants, even if his self preservation is reliant upon such.

Psyychoward86
01-21-2010, 04:08 PM

He did mention Randy coaching Deangelo Williams...

revefsreleets
01-22-2010, 11:17 AM
He did mention Randy coaching Deangelo Williams...

But he also completely IGNORED the fact that Arians mentored Peyton Manning his first few years in the league, but made a big deal out of this guy mentoring......................................... ..............Cleo Lemon. The back-up to overrated Joe Flacco.

Fail.

zulater
01-22-2010, 12:06 PM
But he also completely IGNORED the fact that Arians mentored Peyton Manning his first few years in the league, but made a big deal out of this guy mentoring......................................... ..............Cleo Lemon. The back-up to overrated Joe Flacco.

Fail.

Could it be that someone might be impressed with the fact that you could even get people to believe Cleo Lemon was an NFL quarterback to begin with? It took quite a bit of polishing to get that turd through the process if you know what I mean. :chuckle:

Peyton was mentored by his dad. You know, the guy that actually played the position in the NFL for about a dozen years.

I think I could have been Peyton's first qb coach and the results would pretty much be the same as they are now.

markymarc
01-22-2010, 12:12 PM
I think this is a great move on the Steelers part. IMO Randy can do good things for Ben and this is just 1 move closer to him eventually becoming our future OC.

Plus I think it will be good for Randy to have more say in the offensive game plan each week. Congrats to Randy!

Bobby_Walden
01-22-2010, 12:28 PM
Hmmmm...maybe...

But realistically Mr. Rooney has secured the helm now and is steering us on a path of glory. Seems like his decision to focus on a productive running game again means it could be "Koogs" in line for the OC post.

A tough, no nonsense guy he called him, I think.

I like the sound of that guy.

revefsreleets
01-22-2010, 09:20 PM
Mr. Rooney has secured the helm? Like when he fired Arians whom he wanted replaced for the same reason?

This is just more wheel spinning from the disgruntled crowd....

MACH1
01-22-2010, 09:39 PM
And still biting my tongue.

revefsreleets
01-22-2010, 10:06 PM
And still biting my tongue.

Thanks for that....

Godfather
01-23-2010, 08:48 AM
Hmmm...so what's Batch going to do?

markymarc
01-23-2010, 03:08 PM
Hopefully Randy can do a lot of good things for Dennis Dixon.

Psyychoward86
01-23-2010, 03:14 PM
Hopefully Randy can do a lot of good things for Dennis Dixon.

really guys, really. are we gonna talk about the wildcat again

markymarc
01-23-2010, 03:22 PM
really guys, really. are we gonna talk about the wildcat again

Please let me know where I said anything about wildcat. I was simply stating about Randy helping Dennis continue to progress and grow as an NFL QB.

Chidi29
01-23-2010, 06:05 PM
I don't see why people would think Fichtner would be the OC whenever Arians is gone. If we fire Arians at some point, it'd likely be due to his style of play. Fichtner seems like a similar type.

HometownGal
01-23-2010, 06:12 PM
I don't see why people would think Fichtner would be the OC whenever Arians is gone. If we fire Arians at some point, it'd likely be due to his style of play. Fichtner seems like a similar type.

I think it's more of the never ending "wishful thinking" on the part of the OP. This thread really isn't about BA - it's about our new OL coach, Randy Fichtner. Let's really try hard like good little Doobies to stay on topic. :chuckle:

Psyychoward86
01-23-2010, 07:36 PM
Please let me know where I said anything about wildcat. I was simply stating about Randy helping Dennis continue to progress and grow as an NFL QB.

lol my bad. I thought u were talking about Randy as our WR coach.