PDA

View Full Version : Number 12

Indo
01-19-2010, 06:06 PM
Somebody mentioned this video about a week ago(in the Bradshaw vs BigBen thread), so I thought I would take a look at it

I don't know about the rest of you, but it gives me goosebumps to watch it
(especially around 3:01 where he runs the guy over! Don't know who it is, but Brad just lowers his shoulder and crushes him!)

And the pass in the SB with Swann doing the ballet---that baby is 50+ yards in the air...

HERE WE GO STEELERS :tt03:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2U1Xtci4PBw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2U1Xtci4PBw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

SH-Rock
01-19-2010, 06:18 PM
It still amazing Terry can throw 40+ yards with ease

pepsyman1
01-19-2010, 06:44 PM
The TD he threw to Swann in that same superbowl went almost 70 in the air. The one that really impressed me was the one shown against the Oilers...he scrambles around to the left and then throws a frozen rope almost 45 yards for a TD while his body weight is shifting backwards onto his right foot. He was amazing...lol

fansince'76
01-19-2010, 06:59 PM
The TD he threw to Swann in that same superbowl went almost 70 in the air. The one that really impressed me was the one shown against the Oilers...he scrambles around to the left and then throws a frozen rope almost 45 yards for a TD while his body weight is shifting backwards onto his right foot. He was amazing...lol

This one is my personal favorite:

http://www.pghsports.com/2009-Issues/psr0903/SuperBowl_John-Stallworth.jpg

Texasteel
01-19-2010, 07:09 PM
This one is my personal favorite:

http://www.pghsports.com/2009-Issues/psr0903/SuperBowl_John-Stallworth.jpg

I remember that catch like it was last week. IMO Stallworth was the best WR the Steelers ever had.

fansince'76
01-19-2010, 07:12 PM
I remember that catch like it was last week. IMO Stallworth was the best WR the Steelers ever had.

Same here and agreed. I still remember Brookshier commenting on Bradshaw's gripping of the ball: "he puts his index finger on the point of the ball and throws it like a dart." :chuckle:

Galax Steeler
01-20-2010, 05:27 AM
Terry had an awesome arm and could throw it down the field with ease and with little effort.

Men of Steel
01-20-2010, 11:24 AM
i wish big ben had an arm like his....

but i cant complain! two superbowls for Big Ben, and counting.:thumbsup:

Spidey
01-20-2010, 11:33 AM
Blimey, . . . I thought Ben was difficult to bring down, TB is sick!! :tt02:

zulater
01-20-2010, 11:41 AM

I've got in a lot of arguments over the years about the opinion I'm about to express from non-Steeler fans, and Steeler fans alike. But imo after Jerry Rice, there's not a receiver who ever played the game that I would take over Stallworth in his prime. I know the stats don't bear that out, but that's not my argument. What I'm saying sheer physical skill, Stallworth was as good as there ever was. Size, speed, strength, agility, hands, intelligence for the game, you name it, he had it in abundance. Hell the guy could even block. Put him in a pass happy offense and his numbers could have good as anyone ever. :helmet:

MDSteel15
01-20-2010, 11:42 AM
Is it just me or have we had the same O-line for the past 35 years??? :noidea:

zulater
01-20-2010, 11:44 AM

The Steelers had one of the games better o-lines from 92-97. It was pretty good 2000-2002 as well.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-20-2010, 11:45 AM
TB was a tough SOB. Most people would have retired after the Turkey Jones spike.

fansince'76
01-20-2010, 11:48 AM

I wish - I'd take Webster in a heartbeat over Hartwig, just for starters.

Indo
01-20-2010, 11:52 AM

And Jon Kolb was no slouch...

MDSteel15
01-20-2010, 11:53 AM
I think you guys are taking it wrong... I am just thinking that our line can run block but it sure seems like Terry was running around as much as Ben does today! :thumbsup:

zulater
01-20-2010, 11:56 AM
One of the real ironies about Terry's career is that he was as good or better in his last 3 healthy seasons (80-82) as he was in any of the Super Bowl winning years. And the Steelers didn't win so much as a playoff game in that span. I often cite that fact when I argue with those that wish to diminish the career's of qb's like Dan Marino and Dan Fouts.

Indo
01-20-2010, 11:57 AM
As for Brad's ability to throw....

I am most amazed at how effortless he made it seem. It looks like he's just flicking his wrist and the thing goes 50 yards on a rope. Nothing against Ben, but he looks like he's struggling to heave a ball 50 yds.

He called all of his own plays; he ran with passion and vengeance; he threw like nobody else

There's a reason he has 4 rings

Milkman
01-20-2010, 11:58 AM
Awesome vid! :tt:

zulater
01-20-2010, 12:02 PM
I think you guys are taking it wrong... I am just thinking that our line can run block but it sure seems like Terry was running around as much as Ben does today! :thumbsup:

In Terry's last 2 Super bowl years he was sacked a combined total of 45 times, this with 840 passing attempts for those two years combined.

Texasteel
01-20-2010, 12:02 PM
I've got in a lot of arguments over the years about the opinion I'm about to express from non-Steeler fans, and Steeler fans alike. But imo after Jerry Rice, there's not a receiver who ever played the game that I would take over Stallworth in his prime. I know the stats don't bear that out, but that's not my argument. What I'm saying sheer physical skill, Stallworth was as good as there ever was. Size, speed, strength, agility, hands, intelligence for the game, you name it, he had it in abundance. Hell the guy could even block. Put him in a pass happy offense and his numbers could have good as anyone ever. :helmet:

You won't get any arguments out of me. I don't think I have ever seen a more clutch WR play. The best part is Noll showed a devious side of himself in order to get both him and Swann.

Texasteel
01-20-2010, 12:10 PM

Larry Brown, Steve Courson, Mike Webster, Sam Davis, Ted Peterson, throw in Bennie Cunningham at TE.

Anyone that thinks O-line is boring need to watch film of that bunch working.

Texasteel
01-20-2010, 12:16 PM
As for Brad's ability to throw....

I am most amazed at how effortless he made it seem. It looks like he's just flicking his wrist and the thing goes 50 yards on a rope. Nothing against Ben, but he looks like he's struggling to heave a ball 50 yds.

He called all of his own plays; he ran with passion and vengeance; he threw like nobody else

There's a reason he has 4 rings

I saw Terry at the Texas Motor Speedway about 3 or 4 years ago. I remember he said his philosophy was. It the receiver was open, throw him the ball, if he was covered throw it harder.

Indo
01-20-2010, 12:24 PM
Larry Brown, Steve Courson, Mike Webster, Sam Davis, Ted Peterson, throw in Bennie Cunningham at TE.

I keep thinking of that image of Webbie----he snaps the ball and back-pedals (in pass protection); head on a swivel looking for someone to block---but there is no one to block because everybody on the D is being man-handled by the O-line!

And Steve Courson was, IMO, one of the best ---if not THE BEST---pulling guard I have ever seen

solardave
01-20-2010, 12:30 PM

As much as I loved Swanny I have to agree. As far as Ben vs Terry I think Ben still has a way to go.

d2609j
01-20-2010, 03:12 PM

This catch helped me win a bet with my 4th grade school teacher, Sister Mary. Still can't believe she thought the rams would win.

wootawnee
01-20-2010, 05:31 PM

Totally.....Stalls had a huge heart and a small ego.......Was the greatest team player of all time........He was far from a hot dog like Swann........Swann was all me......Like Micheal Irving............Stalls was very humble and came from great people.........
Love that dude...........And I also think that 74 yarder against the Rams was the best throw and catch I have ever seen.......The anouncer called it a space ship.........Then said Unreal and cut to a comercial.........I remember that picture on a McDoanaulds glass.......

steelerdude15
01-22-2010, 01:31 AM
That's a great video, I love how Bradshaw scrambled and never gave up. I honestly believe that Bradshaw is one of the most underrated QB's of all time. He doesn't have stats compared to Montana or Marino, but he still is an amazing QB who deserved to be elected into the HOF.

markymarc
01-23-2010, 03:09 PM

Now that was an offensive line! I could watch them all day long :tt02:

stb_steeler
01-23-2010, 07:17 PM
They say Bens hard to take down, freakin TB was a mule!!!. He had the best spiral i ever seen in football (continuously). Man that brings back the good ole days. Damn it now im gonna have to get out the old DVD's an watch em again. (wife comments) do we have to watch these again......:rofl: Oh Yeah!

Prok
01-23-2010, 09:21 PM
As much as I loved Swanny I have to agree. As far as Ben vs Terry I think Ben still has a way to go.

Agreed but Ben and terry are 2 different animals imo. Terry believed his strong arm could fit the ball anywhere ala Favre while Ben reads the field better and will try and buy time and use his poise and moxy to make plays.

I'm thankful for BOTH QB's. :tt:

Chidi29
01-23-2010, 09:48 PM
Some of those runs Bradshaw had in that video made me take a second and third look. Crazy. And all this for a guy who was "too dumb" to play in this league.

Would have loved to watch him play.

SuzyPeppercorn
01-24-2010, 01:21 AM
Some of those runs Bradshaw had in that video made me take a second and third look. Crazy. And all this for a guy who was "too dumb" to play in this league.

I never knew Bradshaw could run like that!! The one run against the Vikings was so amazing :tt02:

I wish i would have been alive to see the Steelers play back in the 70s

SteelerEmpire
01-24-2010, 01:33 AM
Bradshaw is given props (even til this day) for a reason.... U notice that Roger Staubach gets no where near the publicity the Bradshaw does... for a reason.....:tt03::tt03::tt03:
I was fortunate to be alive to witness all of the Steel Curtain's domination of the NFL in the 70's....
THE LEAGUE CHANGED THE RULES OF NFL FOOTBALL TO DELIBERATELY END THE DOMINATION OF THE STEELERS OF THE NFL...."no seriously, that's the truth"..... That has been documented more than once.... THERE WAS A SYSTEMATIC EFFORT BY THE NFL TO END THE 70'S STEELERS DOMINATION.... NO JOKE.... I will find one of the videos and post it.... that team could have racked up 5 or 6 SB's....!!!! They were "TRUELY " Incredible......

pepsyman1
01-24-2010, 01:51 AM

The too dumb label was never correct. Terry called all his own plays and finished his career with an incredible understanding of the game. When Terry started as a broadcaster on Fox he started in the booth as an analyst a la Madden. He was incredibly knowledgeable and was uncanny in his ability to predict the type of plays the offenses were gonna call.

Indo
01-25-2010, 09:30 AM
The too dumb label was never correct. Terry called all his own plays and finished his career with an incredible understanding of the game. When Terry started as a broadcaster on Fox he started in the booth as an analyst a la Madden. He was incredibly knowledgeable and was uncanny in his ability to predict the type of plays the offenses were gonna call.

Yep

Bradshaw to this day plays the "Stupid Country Boy" from Shreveport---but he is anything but stupid. It takes a very sophisticated understanding of the game to be able to do what he did----FOUR times!

SteelStang
01-25-2010, 06:38 PM
Just a couple of points on TB...

1. The notion that he was too dumb to play came from his accent, and 'aw shucks' mentality. Obviously this stemmed from his being from Louisiana.

2. It also gains traction with Hollywood Henderson's line about him being so dumb he couldn't spell cat if you spotted him the 'c' and the 'a'. The media ate the whole thing up during Super Bowl week and it just gets perpuated every year around Super Bowl time when all the stories from past super bowls come out.

3. Let's not forgot that TB was battling some demons too that many didn't realize he had, perhaps even himself. Only in the last few years has he come out publicly about his battles with depression and anxiety.

4. Lastly, remember this guy was a state champion javelin thrower which is way he made throwing the football seem almost effortless. I recall a story from one of the old workers at TRS. He said that TB used to be able to throw the ball from goalline to goalline and could throw it like 50 or 60 yards from on his knees....

TB was as unique a guy as there could be and I'm glad he was ours.:tt03: