PDA

View Full Version : Pro Bowl before Superbowl ?

Kanata-Steeler
01-20-2010, 12:06 PM
how idiotic are these ?

1st:/ If the pro bowl is a week before the Super Bowl, then I take it that none of the Super Bowl teams will have their pro Bowl players in the game. ? it might pee-off some fans but who cares.
why don't they just play Pro-bowl 2-weeks AFTER the Superbowl, who freekin' cares anyway -like duh!

2nd thing is, I've always felt that playing the SuperBowl 2 weeks after the final afc/nfc conference championship is idiotc, except for the media clowns coming out of the woodwork.
Personally, 2 weeks is too long, players get too relaxed and end up too nervous with all the media-built hype.

my 2c's :)

:tt:

Edman
01-20-2010, 12:18 PM
Even with the move I still wouldn't waste five minutes with the Pro Bowl.

It's a popularity contest. Until they dump the fan voting and players get in on sheer body of season work, it's a waste.

43Hitman
01-20-2010, 12:27 PM
They moved it to the week before the SB to try and get more viewers for it. The NFL is tired of losing money on that game.

Nadroj 20
01-20-2010, 12:39 PM
They moved it to the week before the SB to try and get more viewers for it. The NFL is tired of losing money on that game.

Yea thats also why it is no longer in Hawaii....they are trying to get more people to go from the mainland.

lionslicer
01-20-2010, 02:30 PM
Even with the move I still wouldn't waste five minutes with the Pro Bowl.

It's a popularity contest. Until they dump the fan voting and players get in on sheer body of season work, it's a waste.

You do know fan voting is only one 3rd of the final vote? so all the votes for one person is compounded down into a 33.33% of votes for one player. So if the Players and Coaches don't vote for so player, its impossible to get that player in.
Troy Polamalu was still leading the league in Fan votes at the end of the season, but the coaches and players obviously didn't vote for him because he was injured, causing him not to make it :P

lionslicer
01-20-2010, 02:31 PM

To get more viewers because the sunday between the conference championship and the superbowl has no football game, just interviews and talk of the superbowl, and fans get restless that they can't see a real football game :P

jonslow
01-20-2010, 02:53 PM
That's one of the big drawbacks to a sport in which an all-star type game can't be played halfway through the season due to injury concerns. I don't know what it's going to take to get more people to watch and bring in more money, but this particular situation may or may not be the answer. Guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens with ratings and revenue this year.

steelerdude15
01-20-2010, 03:51 PM
I don't agree with them moving it a week before the Super Bowl and moving it away from Hawaii. I mean, I can understand why they did it, but still, it's not really about the fans, it's about the players. It's an honor for them. If I was a player, I'd rather play in Hawaii for a game and relax there instead of doing it in Miami. You can play in Miami whenever, but how often does someone get to play in Hawaii?

Mamaduck43
01-20-2010, 06:45 PM
And, surprise, surprise - - I just read that Brady isn't going to play because of his sore finger and sore rib!!!! So the Texans QB - (can't think of his name and too lazy to look it up) is taking his place.... Sheesh!!!!

SH-Rock
01-20-2010, 08:00 PM
the pro bowl is meaning less...I want someone to make it more meaningful like something to watch for. Players are only playing 50% and now before superbowl how many players will actually play. The vikings have 10 players in the pro bowl and if they go to the superbowl, how many of those players will be giving there all.

steeltheone
01-20-2010, 10:16 PM
I liked the idea..Don't care for the game, but like the idea of it on the off week.

SH-Rock
01-21-2010, 02:26 PM
Guess what, Vince Young is going to pro bowl for Philip Rivers

Dino 6 Rings
01-21-2010, 04:37 PM
I think I heard they sold more tickets for this year's pro bowl then they have for the last 10 in Hawaii. and that was as of last week.

For me, it makes sense, if you are a fan of a team that made it, you show up a week early, catch the pro-bowl and party your face off til the SB that following Sunday. If you happen to be in town, you have that event to go to and have some fun. If you already live in that town that is hosting the SB, you know you aren't going to pay 6G or whatever for a SB ticket, but hey, you're favorite team has a few guys in the game, and why not go throw a couple bucks down for a ticket to watch the best in the game have some fun.

That's what it is. To me, it makes sense. These players get paid Millions of bucks and can go to Hawaii anytime they darn want, this game is for the fans, that's why its a smart business move and has already made the NFL Some money.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-21-2010, 09:46 PM
the pro bowl is meaning less...I want someone to make it more meaningful like something to watch for. Players are only playing 50% and now before superbowl how many players will actually play. The vikings have 10 players in the pro bowl and if they go to the superbowl, how many of those players will be giving there all.

They won't even be there. The NFL announced that the Pro Bowlers in the Super Bowl can drop out and will get their full Pro Bowl pay.

Shea
01-21-2010, 10:18 PM
I know that the PB has become a ratings nightmare and a joke to alot of NFL fans, and the new format might put off more people, but it's still seen as an honor for the players selected, whether they acknowledge it or not.

I'm hoping that if the Colts make it to the SB then that will open up a spot for Heath, since I'm assuming that Dallas Clark was selected to represent one of the two spots for TE's in each conference.

It would be long overdue and justice to finally see Miller acknowledged for the player that he is.