PDA

View Full Version : Ben invited, but not going to Pro Bowl

SteelC7
01-20-2010, 02:10 PM
brady dropped outta the pro bowl, as usual, and ben was the first alternate, but doctors advised him not to play because of his shoulder, so hes not going. im wondering if that still counts as being a pro bowler, i mean, will ben now be considered a 2-time pro bowler?

vrabinec
01-20-2010, 02:16 PM
Irrelevant. I'd rather he didn't play so he doesn't get hurt.

lionslicer
01-20-2010, 02:20 PM
brady dropped outta the pro bowl, as usual, and ben was the first alternate, but doctors advised him not to play because of his shoulder, so hes not going. im wondering if that still counts as being a pro bowler, i mean, will ben now be considered a 2-time pro bowler?

He'll count, they usually count the first alternate, even if they can't play.

Shoes
01-20-2010, 02:40 PM
No way I'd play second fiddle to tommy cakes.

Fire Haley
01-20-2010, 02:44 PM
Good - give Ben an extra month to rest

Galax Steeler
01-20-2010, 03:00 PM
I don't blame him I wouldn't play even if I could.

LamarrWoodleysFade
01-20-2010, 03:03 PM
The Pro Bowl is trash anyway. I don't know why people actually want to watch it...

The Duke
01-20-2010, 03:04 PM
No way I'd play second fiddle to tommy cakes.

Just what I was thinking

happy for Schaub though. The man deserves that

Psyychoward86
01-20-2010, 03:34 PM
when did Ben hurt his shoulder?

fansince'76
01-20-2010, 03:38 PM
when did Ben hurt his shoulder?

4th quarter of the Miami game.

Psyychoward86
01-20-2010, 03:43 PM
4th quarter of the Miami game.

omg lol that?

Im not scoffing because Ben isnt going to the Lolprobowl because of that, i just roll my eyes sometimes when Ben is going over the top (Broken ribs, Superbowl, etc.)

steelpride12
01-20-2010, 04:21 PM
Ben stay away and heal and be 100% for Training Camp. Smart choice.

wootawnee
01-20-2010, 04:34 PM
Ben stay away and heal and be 100% for Training Camp. Smart choice.

Ben's a wus.

tony hipchest
01-20-2010, 04:41 PM
Irrelevant. I'd rather he didn't play so he doesn't get hurt.arians or him wouldnt be calling the plays in the pro-bowl, so im thinking he woulda been fairly safe.

his arm was jacked up in miami. i dont think he's skipping because he dont want to be in it, is faking an injury, or is a wus.

curtains4u
01-20-2010, 05:17 PM
Hi, new person here! Ben is definitely not a wuss, I'm glad he's not playing in the pro bowl, it's pretty much a waste of time anyway, and it's better that he heal

Fire Haley
01-20-2010, 05:33 PM
Ben's game has always been booze and broads anyway - he can relax in Reno instead

tony hipchest
01-20-2010, 05:43 PM
Ben's game has always been booze and broads anyway - he can relax in Reno instead:chuckle: after seeing that trout he pulled outta the pond in reno, i think i'd like to try my hand at some deep sea fishing in miami, if you know what i mean...

zulater
01-20-2010, 09:34 PM
Hines will be disappointed in him. :chuckle:

SH-Rock
01-20-2010, 09:36 PM
Hines will be disappointed in him. :chuckle:

Hines will probably drag him to Miami if he has to.

Angus Burgher
01-21-2010, 01:56 AM
LOL, I'm glad he got invited, but also glad he's playing it smart and letting his shoulder heal. I don't think there is any other QB in the league that would have hung in through the end of that Miami game with that injury... his toughness should never be questioned again after that.

MasterOfPuppets
01-21-2010, 02:31 AM
my god...now vince young got the invite... palmer even turned the gig down after ben...:doh:

X-Terminator
01-21-2010, 07:43 AM
my god...now vince young got the invite... palmer even turned the gig down after ben...:doh:

Pretty sure Palmer was playing with a thumb injury all season, so that's probably his reason for not going. But this goes to show how little the Pro Bowl means to the players - it's just a chance at a nice, paid vacation for them.

HometownGal
01-21-2010, 08:01 AM
Good for Ben! :thumbsup: Just goes to show that healing up his shoulder so that it doesn't affect him next season means more to him than the NFL's Homecoming Dance.

zulater
01-21-2010, 09:38 AM

Figure if the Colts go to the SB and they lose Peyton Manning it wont be too long before Jamarcus Rusell's phone is ringing.

:toofunny:

TackleMeBen
01-21-2010, 11:57 AM
i think he is laying low and trying to be a good boy:wink02:if you know what i mean..lol

steel striker
01-21-2010, 10:31 PM
I don't blame Ben rest up for next season and, pro bowl means nothing as far as I'm concerned.

Psyychoward86
01-21-2010, 10:33 PM
Wow, i hate this "probowl before the superbowl" thing. So many shitty players are getting in because of it

devilsdancefloor
01-21-2010, 11:18 PM
he needs to heal up and he isnt a wuss. did you even watch the game in miami?

NV STEELERS 723
01-21-2010, 11:34 PM
who cares about the Pro Bowl !

DoubleYoi
01-22-2010, 10:39 AM
I think a lot of players are turning down the invite to protest the Pro Bowl being held in Miami. I guarantee half these guys don't turn it down if they get a free trip to Hawaii. The Pro Bowl has always been the least attractive All-Star game of the major sports but the NFL is doing all they can to make it even uglier.

markymarc
01-23-2010, 02:23 PM
I can't wait to see how many players turn down the Pro Bowl invite once it goes back to Hawaii next season. Oh and Roger Goodell you still SUCK!

stb_steeler
01-23-2010, 05:31 PM
The Pro Bowl is trash anyway. I don't know why people actually want to watch it...

Pro Bowl is over rated...... Who in da hell scheduled it before the SB anyway?.... Those who are goin to the SB wont be able to play in anyway!

HughC
01-23-2010, 08:38 PM
I think a lot of players are turning down the invite to protest the Pro Bowl being held in Miami. I guarantee half these guys don't turn it down if they get a free trip to Hawaii. The Pro Bowl has always been the least attractive All-Star game of the major sports but the NFL is doing all they can to make it even uglier.
Yep, this is an expected result of having the Pro Bowl mainland rather than in Hawaii. Add to that the number of players playing in the Super Bowl that won't be in the Pro Bowl, and probably most of the players on the losing conference game teams too, and you've made an already so-so at best event much worse.

Pro Bowl is over rated...... Who in da hell scheduled it before the SB anyway?.... Those who are goin to the SB wont be able to play in anyway!
Host cities to the Super Bowl bend over backwards in order to get that game. They make a lot of concessions that cost them a good deal of money in order to hold the event; this was the NFL's way of sweetening the pot for them. The week before is one media event after another; the Pro Bowl was going to be a way to kick off Super Bowl week a day or two earlier. For the host city, the concept was that it would get people into the city spending money a few days earlier.

I can see where they were going with the idea, but I just don't see it working in reality for many reasons. In fact, since the players are voicing their displeasure by refusing to play, I wouldn't doubt that the NFL uses returning to Hawaii for the Pro Bowl as part of the CBA negotiations once the players see Miami in early February is not remotely close to being as warm as Hawaii. Remember the weather there a couple years ago when the Colts played the Bears?

stillers4me
01-23-2010, 09:56 PM
ummmmmmm...Ben wasn't cleared by the doctors to play in the probowl He isn't a wus, nor is he protesting anything. Why risk his shoulder (which happens to be the same shoulder that Mario Williams injured and bothered him all last season) for an exhibition game?

HughC
01-24-2010, 11:20 AM
It's kind of ridiculous that at this point Vince Young is a Pro Bowler; he only started ten games, threw for less than 2000 yards, and his 82.8 quarterback rating ranks just 18th in the NFL.

If that's not bad enough, consider this: if the Colts beat the Jets today as expected, then Peyton Manning won't play either, joining Brady, Rivers, Ben and Palmer as AFC quarterbacks invited but not playing. I guess that would mean then that Kyle Orton or Chad Henne would make it to the Pro Bowl too.

So in a conference with 16 teams, the 7th and 8th best quarterbacks would be Pro Bowlers. Since that's the case, maybe it should be renamed the Mediocre Bowl.

On a side note, I did find this in regards to who is considered to be a Pro Bowler: "A player is considered a pro bowler if he was named to the pro bowl as a starter, a reserve, or an injury replacement. If named to the team, a player is considered a pro bowler even if he does not attend the pro bowl due to injury."

So does that mean, for example, that Carson Palmer would be considered a Pro Bowler? Technically he was named to the team as an injury replacement. If half the conference's quarterbacks can be called pro bowlers, then the title is practically meaningless.

SteelerFanInStl
01-24-2010, 11:31 AM
Vince Young going to the Pro Bowl is a joke. Why is Flacco not there instead? He had better numbers and he played all year.

The Pro Bowl is a complete joke though, especially this year with it being the week before the Super Bowl. Nothing like excluding all of the players from the two 'best' teams in the NFL.

SMR
01-24-2010, 12:13 PM
It's funny. Some people don't think Vince Young deserves to go to the Pro Bowl and yet he was one of the candidates for the NFL comeback player of the year. Marcia Brady "wins" that award and declines to go to the Pro Bowl whereas Young missed out on the award and accepts the Pro Bowl invitation. A bit ironic if ya ask me. Just my two cents.

:chuckle:

Psyychoward86
01-24-2010, 12:26 PM
Does it still count as a Pro-bowl on ben Roetlisberger's part?

HughC
01-24-2010, 10:15 PM
It's funny. Some people don't think Vince Young deserves to go to the Pro Bowl and yet he was one of the candidates for the NFL comeback player of the year. Marcia Brady "wins" that award and declines to go to the Pro Bowl whereas Young missed out on the award and accepts the Pro Bowl invitation. A bit ironic if ya ask me. Just my two cents.

:chuckle:

Just like Ben, Brady declined due to injuries. I don't see how we can bash Brady for not going but not Ben; both had legitimate injuries. Seems like a double standard to me.

As for Young, the problem I have with a player like him being awarded the title of "pro bowler" is that he's in the middle of the pack of AFC quarterbacks. Being a candidate for comeback player of the year and being a candidate for the pro bowl are two separate topics.

Yeah, it is ironic that Brady declines the pro bowl but gets the comeback - while Young gets the pro bowl but loses the comeback to Brady. But it's still really two different conversations.

HughC
01-24-2010, 10:20 PM
Does it still count as a Pro-bowl on ben Roetlisberger's part?

"A player is considered a pro bowler if he was named to the pro bowl as a starter, a reserve, or an injury replacement. If named to the team, a player is considered a pro bowler even if he does not attend the pro bowl due to injury."

I don't know for a fact, but I believe it does count for Ben as being a Pro Bowler.

TampaSteelerFan
01-25-2010, 01:48 PM
At this rate, next weekend we are going to end up hearing something like "Ladies and gentlemen, your AFC Pro Bowl Starting Quarterback....Bradyyyyyyyyy Quinnnnnnnn!!!"