PDA

View Full Version : Another Look: Super Bowl XIV

mesaSteeler
01-20-2010, 10:31 PM
Another Look: Super Bowl XIV
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1501/2010/january/19/another-look-super-bowl-xiv.html
By: Bob Barrickman
Beaver County Times

Tuesday January 19, 2010 05:35 PM

Today marks the 30th anniversary of Super Bowl XIV when the Pittsburgh Steelers opposed the surprising 9-7 Los Angeles Rams.

“Everyone thought it was going to be a rematch of Super Bowl XIII (with Dallas),” said former Steelers defensive lineman John Banaszak.

But the Rams upset the Cowboys in Dallas, 21-19, before winning the NFC championship at Tampa Bay, 9-0.

“The Rams were sort of like the Steelers in 2005 when they won all their (conference) playoff games on the road,” said Banaszak, who started for the Steelers in Super Bowls XIII and XIV and is now the defensive line and special teams coach at Robert Morris University.

Though the Steelers were double-digit favorites to win their fourth Super Bowl in six years, Banaszak was weary of the Rams.

“They had three coaches, Bud Carson, Dan Radakovich and Lionel Taylor who coached for the Steelers and knew our system well,” he pointed out.

What could have been another Rams advantage was that they traveled less than an hour to the game, which was played at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, Calif.

“With all those Terrible Towels, we didn’t feel like we were on the road,” Banaszak said. “That’s why there isn’t an NFL team in Los Angeles today. There’s so much to do out there.”

The game was close throughout as the Rams took a 13-10 halftime lead.

But, Rams quarterback Vince Ferragamo threw a 50-yard pass to receiver Billy Waddy to set up a touchdown to put the Rams back on top, 19-17, in the third quarter. The extra point attempt was no good.

John Stallworth made a tremendous over-the-shoulder catch for a 73-yard touchdown early in the fourth period to give Pittsburgh a 24-19 lead. ("60 prevent, slot, hook and go; I'll never forget watching that catch. John Stallworth; "like Kentucky sippin whiskey, smooth but with a strong finishing kick". - mesa)

Once again, Ferragamo came back to lead the Rams for a potential winning score. But, linebacker Jack Lambert intercepted a Ferragamo pass in Steelers territory with less that six minutes left. Another brilliant Stallworth grab set up a 1-yard touchdown run by Franco Harris.

Though the 31-19 decision over Los Angeles turned out to be the largest margin of victory in the Steelers’ six Super Bowl wins, it was anything but a rout. Bradshaw was named the game’s MVP for the second straight year and set career Super Bowl marks with nine touchdown passes and 932 passing yards.

Steelers kick returner Larry Anderson was an unsung hero in that game by returning five kicks for a Super Bowl record 162 yards.

“Franco (Harris) said that I really made a great contribution to the team,” Anderson said in a 2005 Times interview. “It meant a lot to me.”

As was the case in the seasons following the past two Pittsburgh Super Bowl triumphs, the 1980 Steelers didn’t make the playoffs either. Banaszak said that Father Time settled in on an aging Steelers team.

“I played on the greatest football team of all-time,” said Banaszak. “Nine players from that team are in the Hall of Fame. There should be 11. It’s an injustice that L.C. Greenwood and Donnie Shell aren’t in.”

(Another brilliant Stallworth grab set up a 1-yard touchdown run by Franco Harris. Ah those were the days. Score from the red zone with a run. What a concept. Damn I miss our power running game. What a shame we went pass happy. - mesa)

illmatic
01-20-2010, 10:50 PM
Nice article.

I found Super Bowl XIV in its entirety on YouTube, while trying to search for the Stallworth TD catch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2zs7Hjqi6Y&feature=PlayList&p=04D2D9579E2AF0EB&index=15

Steelman16
01-21-2010, 01:25 AM
Greenwood and Shell aren't in the Hall of Fame? Wow.

Galax Steeler
01-21-2010, 03:41 AM

There is alot of worthy Steelers not in the Hall of Fame.:doh:

mesaSteeler
01-21-2010, 06:34 AM

To many reporters (excuse me partisan hacks) are jealous that so many Steelers are all ready in the hall that they won't vote for any more.

Psyychoward86
01-21-2010, 04:18 PM
Nice article.

I found Super Bowl XIV in its entirety on YouTube, while trying to search for the Stallworth TD catch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2zs7Hjqi6Y&feature=PlayList&p=04D2D9579E2AF0EB&index=15

wow, thank you so much

fansince'76
01-21-2010, 04:54 PM
Nice article.

Actually, that guy has all 4 of the '70s Super Bowls as well as the '78 AFCCG uploaded on his YouTube channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/WIICTVFAN#p/u).

WeegiesWarriors
01-22-2010, 07:42 AM
John Stallworth; "like Kentucky sippin whiskey, smooth but with a strong finishing kick".

Ahhh... what a line. I can close my eyes and hear John Facenda.

I like the NFL Film's yearbook for the Steelers that year: "A Cut Above."

vrabinec
01-22-2010, 07:50 AM
Ahhh... what a line. I can close my eyes and hear John Facenda.

I like the NFL Film's yearbook for the Steelers that year: "A Cut Above."

Facenda is a God. I remember the first time I saw the film of SBIV "If Swann's first catch was a work of art, his next one was a masterpiece" I still get goosebumps.

markymarc
01-23-2010, 02:11 PM
There is alot of worthy Steelers not in the Hall of Fame.:doh:

No doubt about that!

stb_steeler
01-23-2010, 05:44 PM
wow, thank you so much

You can get those on DVD, 5 Greatest Games. A guy on ebay user name thinkingdvd has them.