PDA

View Full Version : As playoffs move on without the Steelers, young reader shares his heartache

mesaSteeler
01-21-2010, 06:22 AM
As playoffs move on without the Steelers, young reader shares his heartache
http://www.yournorwin.com/norwinstar/article/playoffs-move-without-steelers-young-reader-shares-his-heartache
by Seth Austin
Columnist
January 21, 2010

'Twas the weeks before playoffs and all through the Burgh
From the fans of the Steelers, the same thing was heard

"The skill level's lacking, the games are a bore
My heart can't put up with these Steelers no more."

Just a year removed as the Super Bowl kings
It's sure to say after this year there won't be seven rings.

Both the coaches and players can take blame to a point
But week after week, the team still disappoints.

Any more the offense can't seem to get going
Behind the lackluster Roethlisberger throwing.

They have so much talent they could put to use
But are wasting it through the play calling of Bruce.

The backs can't find holes and cannot be freed.
And please give up on passing the ball to Sweed.

No first downs, no field goals, no touchdowns, no scores
My heart can't put up with these Steelers no more.

The opponent's offenses have appeared to be scary,
But really, we're just lacking a secondary.

Who else can we blame for giving up the big play
But our good friends Ike Taylor and William Gay

The referees also deserve scolding
When James Harrison never gets rewarded with holding

Woodley and Timmon's coverage is poor
My heart can't put up with these Steelers no more

Without Troy, there's a high chance of losing
And with each new loss their pride is bruising

The only real hope is for next season to come
So they can once again play like they did for the thumb

With losses to the Raiders, the Chiefs and the Browns,
All around Pittsburgh there's nothing but frowns.

The season is over, tightly shut the door

Seth Austin played for the football team at Norwin High School. He is a senior and will attend Ohio University in the fall majoring in broadcast/print journalism.

(Norwin, well there is a name I've not thought of in a long time. I once was a student there a long time ago when it was new. - mesa)

HometownGal
01-21-2010, 06:54 AM

Did this kid eat too much sugar when writing this? :jawdrop:

4,328 PY, 26 TDS, 100.5 QB rating.

supa_fly_steeler
01-21-2010, 07:17 AM
this kid is a idiot, his stupid pathetic poem wrongly about roethlisberger as hometowngal points above, im not going to shed a tear for this kid who's depressed about his team not doing well. I bet EMO is his answer to that poem.

coverage poor, why dont we let the little tyke be placed at a linebacker and let peterson run over him and trample on him on the way to the endzone. I would actually like that, might get his depression over.

January 21, 2010

aye no shit this was at the end of the 2009 season.

how many time was he passed the ball

go write songs or poems about the bengals

HometownGal
01-21-2010, 08:05 AM

Don't trip and bang your chinny chin chin on your descent from the wagon. :rolleyes:

fansince'76
01-21-2010, 08:18 AM

Don't trip and bang your chinny chin chin on your descent from the wagon. :rolleyes:

...or break an ankle jumping off of it. Good riddance, kid. :coffee:

SH-Rock
01-21-2010, 03:07 PM
I think Sweed was thrown to once and he got 9 yards

Angus Burgher
01-21-2010, 03:19 PM
Seth Austin played for the football team at Norwin High School. He is a senior and will attend Ohio University in the fall majoring in broadcast/print journalism.

Wow, well it's good to see the true experts weigh in on this season.

supa_fly_steeler
01-21-2010, 03:26 PM

I heard this annoying kids depressing poem lets hope i dont have to hear by then his drugged voice when the steeler play.

msafford
01-21-2010, 03:31 PM
Wait a minute....I know a poem too!

Jean Jean made a machine
Joe Joe made it go
Art Art blew a fart
Blew the whole darn thing apart

Maybe the Norwin Star can publish MY poem too!!! It required about the same amount of thought this kid's poem did.

steelreserve
01-21-2010, 03:49 PM
Hmm. Maybe they'll publish the poem I wrote after the Browns game.

Probably not.

HometownGal
01-21-2010, 04:49 PM
Wait a minute....I know a poem too!

Jean Jean made a machine
Joe Joe made it go
Art Art blew a fart
Blew the whole darn thing apart

Maybe the Norwin Star can publish MY poem too!!! It required about the same amount of thought this kid's poem did.

:toofunny::rofl::toofunny:

WOOT! I have a poem too!

Roses are red,
Violets are blue
And Seth Austin's poem blows chunks.

How's dat? :chuckle:

steelerdude15
01-21-2010, 04:57 PM
WOOT! I have a poem too!

Roses are red,
Violets are blue

How's dat?
Love it.

MACH1
01-21-2010, 07:43 PM
Classy, beating up on a high school kid. :thumbsup:

Galax Steeler
01-22-2010, 04:14 AM
:toofunny::rofl::toofunny:

WOOT! I have a poem too!

Roses are red,
Violets are blue

How's dat? :chuckle:

Do you mean like this:puke: :rofl:

HometownGal
01-22-2010, 06:45 AM
Classy, beating up on a high school kid. :thumbsup:

http://www.apostropher.com/blog/img/pot-kettle.jpg

BleedBlacknGold0
01-22-2010, 09:23 AM
To the people ripping this on this kid....

I've said it before and I'll say it again, some people handle a bad season differently or take it harder. This guy seems to take his frustration out by writing a poem.

Yes the poem isnt 100% accurate but maybe, JUST MAYBE he was stretching the truth to make it ryhme.

It doesn't make you a "better fan" than him.
Quit acting like it.

DoubleYoi
01-22-2010, 09:52 AM

I've said it before and I'll say it again, some people handle a bad season differently or take it harder. This guy seems to take his frustration out by writing a poem.

Yes the poem isnt 100% accurate but maybe, JUST MAYBE he was stretching the truth to make it ryhme.

Quit acting like it.

If you're going to embellish to the point your poem makes no sense, what's the point in writing a poem? Why not just write a piece taking your frustrations out on your team? Plus, the dude is a few months away from attending college. Had this been written by an elementary school student or maybe a junior high student, I'd be impressed. Fact is, this kid is a few months removed from being an expected productive member of society and this is the best he can come up with? Looks like the brodcast/print journalism professor at Ohio U has his work cut out for him.

HometownGal
01-22-2010, 11:06 AM

Quit acting like it.

So - utilizing this statement not once, not twice, not thrice, but four times in this poem doesn't make one highly suspicious that this kid reeks of bandwagonitis? :banging:

Had this been written by an elementary school student or maybe a junior high student, I'd be impressed.

Bingo. :thumbsup:

MACH1
01-22-2010, 11:25 AM
So - utilizing this statement not once, not twice, not thrice, but four times in this poem doesn't make one highly suspicious that this kid reeks of bandwagonitis? :banging:

Not necessarily, kid probly had too high of aspirations of repeating and when they failed to do so crushed his dreams(wet or dry):chuckle: Bet ya dollars to doughnuts he'll still be a Steeler fan when the new season starts.

fansince'76
01-22-2010, 11:50 AM

BettisFan? :noidea: :chuckle:

MACH1
01-22-2010, 11:53 AM
BettisFan? :noidea: :chuckle:

TexansFan. :sofunny:

markymarc
01-23-2010, 02:29 PM
I applaud the kid for making an effort, but he doesn't come close to SteelersGirlTN7's ability! I wonder if this kid has blogging in his future :chuckle:

stb_steeler
01-23-2010, 06:01 PM

As George Thorogood once said (Out the Door i Went).... Dam bandwagoneers pennant picker you!

BleedBlacknGold0
01-23-2010, 10:51 PM
HTG, Ive noticed youre such an expert on Steelers fans. Just from a silly poem he wrote youre able to determine hes a bandwagon fan.

Keep up the good work.

I'd much rather hang out with a Steelers fan that is upset we arent in the playoffs than one who calls everyone that is upset a bandwagon (non) fan.

Havik
01-23-2010, 11:53 PM
Other than what he said about Ben (who had a fine season), I agree with this kid. The Steelers were complacent. Even though they were given one of the easiest schedules, their lack of effort, passion, and 4th quarter choke jobs set them up for failure. Losing to the one win Browns was very embarrassing and I still don't understand how Arians didn't get fired because of that game. There is no excuse for the Steelers to not be in the playoffs, and that being said I think they can turn it around in 2010. It's time to stop playing down to the level of all the bottom feeders and start kicking their asses.

stb_steeler
01-24-2010, 01:30 AM
HTG, Ive noticed youre such an expert on Steelers fans. Just from a silly poem he wrote youre able to determine hes a bandwagon fan.

Keep up the good work.

I'd much rather hang out with a Steelers fan that is upset we arent in the playoffs than one who calls everyone that is upset a bandwagon (non) fan.

So your saying we would rather have whiny fans dissing the team when we lose?.....Suck it up we dont win all the time, so people shouldnt cry and make up stupid crap to show their opinions only when we lose. Where are they at when we win? Thats a bandwagon fan.

WH
01-24-2010, 03:01 AM
I thought a seven year old wrote this.

fansince'76
01-24-2010, 08:26 AM

Keep up the good work.

And from a brief perusal of your "history" here, I noticed you are one of those who feel that they're "entitled" to a Lombardi every single year as an expected return on the investment of their "precious" fandom of the team. Not surpising. Her comments hit a little too close to home?

X-Terminator
01-24-2010, 10:20 AM

Keep up the good work.

She called him that because that's exactly what he is. That, and he obviously sucks at poetry writing.

If you're still upset about the team not getting into the playoffs, might I suggest getting over it? The Steelers aren't going to win every year and win you your "owed" Super Bowl every year either. Deal.

Texasteel
01-24-2010, 12:27 PM

Keep up the good work.

when you say your heart can put up with these Steelers no more, that pretty much says "I'm bailing" I would call that a bandwagon jumper. One that will be jumping right back on after we win the 1st 4 games of the season.

Personally I would much rather hang out with someone that will not quit on her team, like HTG, rather than one that will that walks off whining about the team abusing his fandom.

tony hipchest
01-24-2010, 01:18 PM
fan bashing has almost a sport around here. even moreso than bashing chris collinsworth, joe theisman, john madden, or anyone else who has ever broadcasted a steelers game without heaping undying love and praise unto the team.

fan bashing, and the fans post police has gotten so bad to the point where ANYONE who voices concern, displeasure, or is even slightly critical is pigeonholed as a whiny, spoiled, bandwaggoner who thinks they know more than the front office.

personally i think if people would quit whining so much about the fans, or caring what average joe schmoe thinks, and open a critical eye to whats going on with the team, they would find their time here on the messageboard much more enjoyable.

fact is the head coach and front office had stated over and over that the lombardi is the standard and competing for the world championship is the goal every year. i gotta shake my head in disbelief at fans who look down thier noses at others for wanting and expecting that same thing.

its like poking steeler tradition in the eye with a stick. theres no doubt the steelers fell short of those expectations in grotesque fashion. i guess the elite fans need to write a manual instructing all others how they need to react.

btw- i didnt even read the poem. it sounded dumb after the 1st 3 lines and i dont care anyways.

zulater
01-24-2010, 01:28 PM
http://www.yournorwin.com/norwinstar/article/playoffs-move-without-steelers-young-reader-shares-his-heartache
by Seth Austin
Columnist
January 21, 2010

'Twas the weeks before playoffs and all through the Burgh
From the fans of the Steelers, the same thing was heard

"The skill level's lacking, the games are a bore

Wrong and wrong, the Steelers had any number of problems, but the skill level wasn't one of them.

And "boring", give me a freaking break kid. I could have used a little more boring in the season, win or lose, the Steelers seemed to play every game down to the last possesion this year. If you find that a bore, go find another game to watch.

Good for you. Go join the chess team or something. :coffee:

That's the breaks kid.

Both the coaches and players can take blame to a point
But week after week, the team still disappoints.

Do you actually watch the games? Ben, "lackluster". :doh: If you were my kid you'd lose your computer privelages for a month just for that stupid statement.

They have so much talent they could put to use
But are wasting it through the play calling of Bruce.

I guess it's true, even a blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally. :chuckle:

Hard to pass to a guy who emotionally checks out for the season.

No first downs, no field goals, no touchdowns, no scores

I'll bet your English teacher feels similiarly about your prose. :flap:

The opponent's offenses have appeared to be scary,
But really, we're just lacking a secondary.

Got two right so far.

Who else can we blame for giving up the big play
But our good friends Ike Taylor and William Gay

Score a couple points there. :thumbsup:

The referees also deserve scolding
When James Harrison never gets rewarded with holding

And a couple more there.

Woodley and Timmon's coverage is poor
My heart can't put up with these Steelers no more

OK, now you've pissed me off again kid. I don't care if it helps makes your feeble poem rhyme, you just don't put LaMarr in a negative context like that. :mad:

Without Troy, there's a high chance of losing
And with each new loss their pride is bruising

Yawn. Wake me when this is finally over someone.

The only real hope is for next season to come
So they can once again play like they did for the thumb

OK that one works.

With losses to the Raiders, the Chiefs and the Browns,

Not too sucky there.

Drama queen. :blah:

Ohio's a good place for this kid. :chuckle:

(Norwin, well there is a name I've not thought of in a long time. I once was a student there a long time ago when it was new. - mesa)

OK aboves my critique on the poem. Glad it's not my kid. :chuckle:

Texasteel
01-24-2010, 02:12 PM
fan bashing has almost a sport around here. even moreso than bashing chris collinsworth, joe theisman, john madden, or anyone else who has ever broadcasted a steelers game without heaping undying love and praise unto the team.

fan bashing, and the fans post police has gotten so bad to the point where ANYONE who voices concern, displeasure, or is even slightly critical is pigeonholed as a whiny, spoiled, bandwaggoner who thinks they know more than the front office.

personally i think if people would quit whining so much about the fans, or caring what average joe schmoe thinks, and open a critical eye to whats going on with the team, they would find their time here on the messageboard much more enjoyable.

fact is the head coach and front office had stated over and over that the lombardi is the standard and competing for the world championship is the goal every year. i gotta shake my head in disbelief at fans who look down their noses at others for wanting and expecting that same thing.

its like poking steeler tradition in the eye with a stick. theres no doubt the steelers fell short of those expectations in grotesque fashion. i guess the elite fans need to write a manual instructing all others how they need to react.

btw- i didn't even read the poem. it sounded dumb after the 1st 3 lines and i dont care anyways.

You are labeling the fans that are tired of such whining as whiners, and labeling those that see the tone and content of this poem as being an indicator of being a FWF, as elitist. That would make you as guilty as the people you are whining about.

We all hope for and cheer for a SB win every years, but as people that have stated they are just being realistic, can that be expected every year.

X-Terminator
01-24-2010, 05:15 PM

fact is the head coach and front office had stated over and over that the lombardi is the standard and competing for the world championship is the goal every year. i gotta shake my head in disbelief at fans who look down thier noses at others for wanting and expecting that same thing.

btw- i didnt even read the poem. it sounded dumb after the 1st 3 lines and i dont care anyways.

When fans come here and say "everyone sucks" and "fire everyone," or try to find a scapegoat for everything that goes wrong with the team, then they deserve to be called out on it. Plain and simple. Why should people be silent and just not say anything to counter it?

The bottom line is that too many of our fans have an unrealistic view of the team and their own expectations for the team. They demand, expect and feel they are owed a championship every season, and I'm sorry, but that simply does not happen. And yes, they are spoiled - why else would a 9-7 season be called "grotesque?" Am I disappointed in how things turned out? Of course. But I'm also a realist, and understand that sometimes the team has a down year, and that it's not the end of the world. How many teams would LOVE to be in our position and root for a team that has been successful FAR more often than not? Think Texans fans are crying about a 9-7 season? The Lions and Browns would probably throw a ticker-tape parade over a 9-7 season. To Steelers fans, though, it's time to throw everyone under the bus and then run them over 10 times.

There is nothing wrong with WANTING a championship team every year - hell, who doesn't want that? It simply is not realistic to expect it. It's certainly no reason to start writing poems saying "I can't take this team no more," or my personal favorite from the 2008 season, "I'm done with this team"...right before they ended up winning the Super Bowl. (BTW, has that guy been back since then?) There were plenty of "fans" here who were saying the latter THIS season, during the 5-game losing streak. Why shouldn't they be called out for being fair-weather fans (which is what many Steelers fans really are, more so than bandwagon)? And this kid, through his poem, is a textbook example of a fair-weather fan.

There is also nothing wrong with being critical of the team - there is plenty to be critical about from this season. But again, it can be done without going overboard and bringing so much emotion into it that your comments end up being over the top. Or we end up having 10 million redundant threads bashing one guy. You don't think THAT takes away from people's enjoyment of the board? They should also expect plenty of people to disagree when such statements are made, which is their right as members of this board as well.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll come back with a rather lengthy disagreement, but it's not going to sway my opinion. So in lieu of your response, I'll just agree to disagree.

tony hipchest
01-24-2010, 05:37 PM
You are labeling the fans that are tired of such whining as whiners, and labeling those that see the tone and content of this poem as being an indicator of being a FWF, as elitist. That would make you as guilty as the people you are whining about.

We all hope for and cheer for a SB win every years, but as people that have stated they are just being realistic, can that be expected every year.heres the thing-

i am not whining or pretending to be the fan police... :hunch: ...just pointing out the obvious irony.

frankly i could care less about the knee-jerk, fly off the handle, sky-is-falling fans or if they ride a bandwagon or drive a station wagon. they are so easilly ignored and forgotten. :noidea:

tony hipchest
01-24-2010, 05:42 PM
When fans come here and say "everyone sucks" and "fire everyone," or try to find a scapegoat for everything that goes wrong with the team, then they deserve to be called out on it. Plain and simple. Why should people be silent and just not say anything to counter it?

.do what makes you feel best, but if you get overly worked up about it, perhaps you shouldnt complain about the actions you have decided to take, out of your own free will, with your mission to call them out and hold them accountable (or whatever it is).

anyways you set up yet another strawman. nobody has came here and said 'everyone sucks" or "fire everyone" and if they had, they were a fart in the wind troll who is better off left ignored and forgotten.

and your "bottom line" may be completely different from someone elses bottom line. respect that. jamming your opinion down peoples throats as cold, hard, fact is lame and old. too much OP/ED is being offered up as fact in the steelers forum and its almost being demanded that it be accepted as such.

carry on....

Cinnjerm
01-24-2010, 05:49 PM
Yea, have to say I too found this poem to be off-base too, particularly the part about Ben. As mentioned by others, he did finish with over 43 hundred yards (which easily could have been closer to 46 hundred if he'd played 16 games) and a QB rating of over 100 as well. So, if your heart really can't take one year ( a winning year at that mind you) of not making the playoffs, then good riddance. Your company will not be missed and don't bother crawling back a year from now when they're returning to the SB to get number 7. :tt02:

MrAustin412
11-05-2011, 12:36 AM
Lolololol too funny guys. I found this a year ago and think it's hilarious all the commenting you did. I'm Seth Austin. I wrote this my senior year for a high school paper column. It was meant to be fun. My teacher liked it and sent to a local paper.

I'm now studying journalism at a top nationally ranked EW Scripps School of Communication at Ohio University. (Thank god right! I'm so bad at journalism!)

Anyway, as a freshman, a national website that covers football asked me to join the staff (THEY MUST BE CRAAAZYYY!!!) I basically have national experience writing about football and I'm only a sophomore in college.

My life sucks. I'm never going to be a successful journalist!

And I'm a diehard Steelers fan. As I said, this was meant to be fun, but obviously the Yinzer came out of a lot of you crack pots!

It's cool cause I can't see you from this side of the TV.

Peace and Love. Go Bobcats.

Aussie Steeler
11-05-2011, 01:13 AM
Ahahaha chill out guys it's an exaggerated poem!!

Bayz101
11-05-2011, 10:57 AM
Y U NO LET THREAD DIE????

MrAustin412
11-05-2011, 11:49 PM
Sorry, I didn't let the thread die because I HAD to comment. This was so funny reading all of the comments talking about how sh*tty this was when all it is is a fun little poem I wrote the week before Christmas break in high school. This wasn't even journalism haha.

Then being attacked because I'm a fair weather fan. That's ok. Call me one because I know that even though I live somewhere where I can't see the football games on Sunday, I still find some sketchy way to stream it to my laptop.

Some people need to find better things to do with their lives. I understand that everyone's a critic, but this is horrible.

If you actually want to criticize work of mine, look me up. Find real stories I've written on my blog or for National Football Authority or Speakeasy Magazine. If you have problems with what I say in that form of real journalism, then maybe I'll become disheartened.

Oh wait, no I won't! Because none of what you say has any meaning! You're all a bunch "Steeler Fans" who sit on a forum to express your valueless opinions in a public domain. In my eyes, most of you jagoffs are worthless.

Steelersfan87
11-06-2011, 01:45 AM
And you came to post here to show everyone how little you care? Well, you clearly accomplished that.

SteelCityMom
11-06-2011, 06:42 AM
Sorry, I didn't let the thread die because I HAD to comment. This was so funny reading all of the comments talking about how sh*tty this was when all it is is a fun little poem I wrote the week before Christmas break in high school. This wasn't even journalism haha.

Then being attacked because I'm a fair weather fan. That's ok. Call me one because I know that even though I live somewhere where I can't see the football games on Sunday, I still find some sketchy way to stream it to my laptop.

Some people need to find better things to do with their lives. I understand that everyone's a critic, but this is horrible.

If you actually want to criticize work of mine, look me up. Find real stories I've written on my blog or for National Football Authority or Speakeasy Magazine. If you have problems with what I say in that form of real journalism, then maybe I'll become disheartened.

Oh wait, no I won't! Because none of what you say has any meaning! You're all a bunch "Steeler Fans" who sit on a forum to express your valueless opinions in a public domain. In my eyes, most of you jagoffs are worthless.

For what it's worth...you should check how many of those folks are either banned or haven't posted in almost 2 years. This site had a split a while back, and most of the people you are referring to are long gone now, so you're pretty much talking to ghosts at this point.

Consider this your only warning though...you don't get to just pop in here and call us worthless jagoffs, while acting like an arrogant prick. I wonder if you see the hypocrisy in saying "You're all a bunch "Steeler Fans" who sit on a forum to express your valueless opinions in a public domain.", while sitting on a forum expressing your own valueless opinion.

Don't care if you're some "bigshot" writer either. Having to tout oneself on a message board is lame.

MrAustin412
11-06-2011, 11:48 AM
Fair enough. I completely agree with the last two comments and apologize. Just thought it'd be fun to let people know that I see what they're saying about me (moreso how they are attacking me) and express the lack of effect it has done.

Never meant to be a D. The whole premise of this thread was stupid.

Sixburgher
11-06-2011, 12:06 PM
Just thought it'd be fun to let people know that I see what they're saying about me (moreso how they are attacking me) and express the lack of effect it has done.

Obviously it had some effect since it was enough to cause you to necropost in a thread that had been dead for almost 2 years.

Kanata-Steeler
11-06-2011, 10:57 PM
Basically, it's a lament, but I would just change this to:

With losses to the RAVEN"S (twice), thanks to ARIENS and his CLOWNS !

:)