PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Owner Art Rooney Reinstates Their Secret Formula For Winning!

MACH1
01-21-2010, 02:27 PM
by
Timothy Kessler Analyst

40 articles written
2281 comments written
32 fans

View Profile
Analyst

I wrote this article over six months ago, and I felt there was no better time than now to bring it back, as Art Rooney II apparently read it himself… finally.

He has taken control and also told his coaches to read it before the start of next season.

Not only to read it, but to implement it into their daily thinking and the team’s philosophy once again.

The information that lies within this short article has led to a league leading six Lombardi Trophies. Believe that or not, it’s true, and Rooney wants a seventh.

So I lifted the patent once again.

This is going to be one of the most scientifically based articles that you will ever read, as well as politically correct, I might add. So buckle in, read carefully, and try and follow along.

Since this is concerning Pittsburgh’s “recently ignored but thankfully reinstated” secret formula for winning, only Steelers fans are allowed to read any further.

Thank you for your compliance.

We certainly do not need any New England patrons trying to sneak yet another advantage over us, as they already have by acquiring our signals earlier this decade.

Without any further adieu, let us begin…

Every one of us has heard the saying that “the best offense is a great defense”. Have you not? Yes you have. So there is our first truth.

We are going to accept it as such because there is nothing more scientific than popular belief. It is almost as good as seeing something on TV, or with your own eyes. So it has got to be true.

Now, I am going to try and attempt to prove another statement as truth without the backing of popular belief or acceptance.

This is not an easy thing to do. Please do not attempt this at home. This should only be attempted under the supervision of a trained debating professional.

Here we go…”the best defense is a great running offense”.

Why do I say that? More importantly, why are you going to accept it as truth?

Well, first…because I am telling you to. Second, it would be really nice of you. Third and most importantly, the article will not work unless you do. So just accept it and keep reading.

Here are also some facts that prove it to be true.

1- A good running game will keep our defense off the field and fresh as our offense will be on the field longer. They will be more capable of defending the field because they will have more energy.

2- A good running game will keep the opposing teams defense on the field longer as it eat up time of possession, tiring them out by the fourth quarter. They will be less capable of defending the field because they will have less energy.

3- A good running game will keep the opposing teams offense off the field as well. The longer they are off the field, the less chance they have of scoring.

4- A good running game will keep the opposing team’s defense more honest, which will result in a better passing game, giving us a better chance at scoring.

This bodes well for our chances of success. It has been proven over many years of trial and error; hence, it is now a scientifically proven fact that…“the best defense is a great running offense”.

Popular belief and acceptance of this newly found statement will soon follow. Without a doubt it will become as widely accepted as “the best offense is a great defense”.

With that still fresh in our minds; let us apply both of those facts to another greatly known and widely used mathematical equation, shall we?

If A=B and B=C then, of course, A=C.

So, if…

“the best offense” (A) = “a great defense” (B) …as is widely accepted

And…

“the best defense” (B) = “a great running offense” (C) …as we just proved

Then it absolutely holds true that…

“the best offense” (A) = “a great running offense” (C)

It has now become not only a football fact, but a mathematical fact as well.

There you have it. Undisputed scientific proof as to why the Steelers should have never left their run-first style of offense to become a pass heavy team.

Art Rooney has recently come to realize it himself, after reading this very article, of course. It was the Pittsburgh Steelers’ secret formula to consistently winning over the past 40 years and it will be again.

There can be no denying it. I do not expect to see a single person disagree. (If he only knew)

The look on Polamalu's face proves it, as he contemplates all the scientific intricacies behind the formula itself.

I just hope no New England fans read the whole way through this article, or we will have to stop them before they reach Belichick with this ancient Pittsburgh Steelers secret.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/329655-steelers-owner-art-rooney-reinstates-their-secret-formula-for-winning?source=rss_teams_Pittsburgh_Steelers

He has valid points but I'm sure it'll be labeled another POS article from another "blog retard".

rich4eagle
01-21-2010, 02:37 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/329655-steelers-owner-art-rooney-reinstates-their-secret-formula-for-winning?source=rss_teams_Pittsburgh_Steelers

He has valid points but I'm sure it'll be labeled another POS article from another "blog retard".

OK two great premises...................BOTH OF THEM

and yes the rules have changed to make passing easier than running and offense easier than defense

SO LETS IGNORE THAT ............and go back to smash mouth football

sumtimes understanding where yu are what yu got is more important than rules of times gone by even if the fundamentals of those rules still exist

The Steelers are a passing team now.....................get over it.....................

and somebody bring back the defense

and oh YEAH special teams which you omiited which is a third of the game is NON EXISTENT IN PITTSBURGH:tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04:

so my message...........get with it..........fix the special teams and the defense and all things will be OK.................unless you want to run for two yards and punt

scsteeler
01-21-2010, 02:42 PM
I have always felt that if you can run the ball control the clock it will shorten the game give your defense rest and keep any high powered offense off the field and tire out the opposing teams defense.

If this is so simple why is it not used more in the NFL?

Not disagree just posing a question!

Aussie_steeler
01-21-2010, 03:02 PM
"blog retard".

I have a major problem with the new infraction system and I am going to put it out there and I dont care if I get speared from the site for it.

People can get infracted for all sorts of things ( and rightfully so) but it appears that it is fine for this board to use the intellectually disabled as a legitimate reference points for putting people down and in such an open matter.

some examples

Which means exactly jack and shit at the NFL level.
And it's "Fichtner," not "Fitchner." I know I've mentioned this before, but Matt Pawlikowski = RETARD.

Here's a hint: If you can't handle being called a retard, either stop posting retarded garbage or just put me on ignore.

I have been a member of this site for two years and have tolerated this terms use as being acceptable under the laws of the land.

Please explain to me how under the new system of infractions it is OK to villify the intellectually disabled but not attack a person for their country of origin. We are not allowed to swear or imitate swearing but we can openly use an offensive term to many.

I am the proud father of an eleven year old girl with down syndrome ( major intellectual disability). I have bit my tongue for two years and chose not to be precious.............. but I cannot bite any more. you wont tolerate ,and I quote, "red neck hillbilly" but you will tolerate the R word ( which I cannot bring myself to say)

If you want to clean this board up please do so on a consistent basis. I am disgusted everytime I see the word used, it is offensive to me and a very large set of the worlds population today. I cannot speak on behalf of other groups that are frequently villified ( on the grounds of race, religion or sexuality) but I place this in the same category. I havent walked a mile in the shoes of someone from another race, religion or sexual orientation but I have definitely walked many miles with my daughter to overcome the inequalities that she faces daily.

If the R word is tolerated then I will call it for what it is .......HYPOCRISY

MACH1 .........props to you for calling this word out in the post I have quoted at the top of the page. Respect to you.

I love this board and I am here daily. I love the dialouge with most and if you know me, you know how much I love the warroom. But If a holiday is warranted..........so be it.:wave:

MasterOfPuppets
01-21-2010, 03:06 PM
well if you want to run the ball, you first have to have linemen that are good at run blocking.... doing your line shopping in rounds 4 thru 7 year after year isn't going to produce good run blocking linemen...:noidea:

Angus Burgher
01-21-2010, 03:23 PM
well if you want to run the ball, you first have to have linemen that are good at run blocking.... doing your line shopping in rounds 4 thru 7 year after year isn't going to produce good run blocking linemen...:noidea:

Completely agree. Aren't you glad that we're probably stuck with these hacks for another 4 years?

steelreserve
01-21-2010, 03:47 PM
Please explain to me how under the new system of infractions it is OK to villify the intellectually disabled but not attack a person for their country of origin. We are not allowed to swear or imitate swearing but we can openly use an offensive term to many.

Because it's not "vilifying" anyone, and usually the only ones offended by it are those who are hypersensitive to it because they either have a family member who's retarded, or they teach special ed classes. Should we ban fat jokes next, or give people a warning for saying the referee is blind?

Sorry, but I just don't see a push toward increasing political correctness as having anything resembling a positive effect. It's gone far enough as it is.

MACH1
01-21-2010, 03:51 PM
OK two great premises...................BOTH OF THEM

and yes the rules have changed to make passing easier than running and offense easier than defense

SO LETS IGNORE THAT ............and go back to smash mouth football

sumtimes understanding where yu are what yu got is more important than rules of times gone by even if the fundamentals of those rules still exist

The Steelers are a passing team now.....................get over it.....................

and somebody bring back the defense

and oh YEAH special teams which you omiited which is a third of the game is NON EXISTENT IN PITTSBURGH:tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04:

so my message...........get with it..........fix the special teams and the defense and all things will be OK.................unless you want to run for two yards and punt

That worked out real well didn't it?

You don't have to be smash mouth to run the ball. We need to be ABLE to run it when we have too and keep the D's honest and guessing. We should be ABLE to pick up a 3-1 by running it, not going shotgun every time. With a good run game it's easier to control the game and keep our D off the field for an extended amount of time while wearing the opposing D out. Balance!

Just my opinion.

The defense is a different topic.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-21-2010, 04:01 PM
I am the proud father of an eleven year old girl with down syndrome ( major intellectual disability). I have bit my tongue for two years and chose not to be precious.............. but I cannot bite any more. you wont tolerate ,and I quote, "red neck hillbilly" but you will tolerate the R word ( which I cannot bring myself to say)

:applaudit:

Good on ya for bringing it up. I have worked with Special Olympians in the past, but dont have an immediate connection to "the mentally handicapped" or "developmentally delayed", so I never brought it up before.....but I too find it a disrespectful term.

If others here ever worked with mentally handicapped kids, they would never use the "R" word.

HometownGal
01-21-2010, 04:44 PM
I have a major problem with the new infraction system and I am going to put it out there and I dont care if I get speared from the site for it.

People can get infracted for all sorts of things ( and rightfully so) but it appears that it is fine for this board to use the intellectually disabled as a legitimate reference points for putting people down and in such an open matter.

some examples

I have been a member of this site for two years and have tolerated this terms use as being acceptable under the laws of the land.

If you want to clean this board up please do so on a consistent basis. I am disgusted everytime I see the word used, it is offensive to me and a very large set of the worlds population today. I cannot speak on behalf of other groups that are frequently villified ( on the grounds of race, religion or sexuality) but I place this in the same category. I havent walked a mile in the shoes of someone from another race, religion or sexual orientation but I have definitely walked many miles with my daughter to overcome the inequalities that she faces daily.

If the R word is tolerated then I will call it for what it is .......HYPOCRISY

MACH1 .........props to you for calling this word out in the post I have quoted at the top of the page. Respect to you.

I love this board and I am here daily. I love the dialouge with most and if you know me, you know how much I love the warroom. But If a holiday is warranted..........so be it.:wave:

Aussie - you know I love the hell out of ya and though I agree in principle with what you are saying, all I can do at this point is ASK that our members refrain from using that word as it, understandably of course, is offensive to you. I am in remission from cancer and when I see people toss the "C" word around, i.e. "so and so is a cancer to that team" it bothers me a bit but I realize that it isn't being used to offend me and I move on. I can't disagree with what steelreserve is saying:

Should we ban fat jokes next, or give people a warning for saying the referee is blind?

If the word "retard" is thrown around so as to directly make fun of mentally disabled people, it will not be tolerated as that is just plain mean.

LOL @ you at being banned for expressing yourself so respectfully. :chuckle: :drink:

God Bless you and your sweet girl! :drink:

fansince'76
01-21-2010, 05:15 PM
....I'm sure it'll be labeled another POS article from another "blog retard".

Bleacher Report? Yeah, pretty much.

tony hipchest
01-21-2010, 05:36 PM

some examples

i have another example, as i am probably the only member to ever be infracted for the use of the word.

Originally Posted by hardwork
I'm retarded, what's your excuse, Preacher?

right before being rightfully issued a permanent ban, hard worm was riding myself and preacher petty hard with unchecked personal attacks. his post originally read I'm retired.... in the quote i changed it to read what you read above. this was in the blast furnace where supposedly "anything goes"- the infraction wasnt issued by a current mod, but rather that turd, LITP who disagreed with anything i said and used his mod position to strengthen a vendetta.

i also was vilified for refering to sarah palins retarded child, but i used it in more of the outdated and politically incorrect medical diagnoses way as opposed to calling a baby a retard.

and even recently i used the term in the dictionary way that isnt related to a mental handicap. (kinda like "fire retardant").

i work for a NISH contractor (national institute of the severely handicapped) and employ individuals with disabilities, so i kinda have to be sensitive and politically correct towards my workers.

i will also try to be more sensitive towards your situation and not throw the word around so loosely like i probably did the other day, after all, i think we're still allowed to call people idiots and cowards around here and perhaps that is the more appropriate term to use. :drink:

steelreserve
01-21-2010, 05:40 PM
If the word "retard" is thrown around so as to directly make fun of mentally disabled people, it will not be tolerated as that is just plain mean.

Well, yeah, but I don't think that's how most people use it. Just saying something like "Goodell is retarded" really is not taking a jab at anyone but Goodell, the same way that most Tom Brady jokes carry no negative intentions toward the gay community.

Somehow, "Goodell is developmentally disabled" just does not carry the same weight. And that IS who I want to compare him to. Not a regular idiot with an otherwise normal lifestyle, but literally someone with a severe mental disability.

Bluedust
01-21-2010, 06:23 PM
You can only get so many players every year, right now our best players are on our Offense, so they get the plays. There's no reason to rely on a Defense last year that kept giving up the game.

Now if we have an amazing draft where 7 players are first year starters and give us a dominant run game and defense, then fine, but won't happen.

HometownGal
01-21-2010, 06:25 PM
You can only get so many players every year, right now our best players are on our Offense, so they get the plays. There's no reason to rely on a Defense last year that kept giving up the game.

Now if we have an amazing draft where 7 players are first year starters and give us a dominant run game and defense, then fine, but won't happen.

Thanks for getting this thread back on track. :drink:

Folks - if you have any B & M'ing about the updated infraction system, please post the same in the Feedback Forum in the thread that has already been started.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

Prok
01-21-2010, 09:09 PM
I have always felt that if you can run the ball control the clock it will shorten the game give your defense rest and keep any high powered offense off the field and tire out the opposing teams defense.

If this is so simple why is it not used more in the NFL?

Not disagree just posing a question!

Because it leads to doom in the big games against the better teams. 15 years of Cowher ball has tought very few of us nothing about that apparently.... Christ, I don't even like BA but I can agree that we're better suited to pass the ball more than run now... Why some ppl hang onto that old scool thinking is wayyy beyond me.

Shea
01-21-2010, 10:40 PM
Because it's not "vilifying" anyone, and usually the only ones offended by it are those who are hypersensitive to it because they either have a family member who's retarded, or they teach special ed classes. Should we ban fat jokes next, or give people a warning for saying the referee is blind?

Sorry, but I just don't see a push toward increasing political correctness as having anything resembling a positive effect. It's gone far enough as it is.

Damn...............:doh:

Did you not read what Aussie had to say about his daughter, yet you used that word to reply.

Political correctness can go overboard - I agree on that - and at times it seems to have no end but sometimes it is needed to show civility and compassion towards another human being, yet you've just swung and missed on those two accounts here.

Quit striking out going for the homerun and realize that it's not about you but about the "team".

Steeldude
01-22-2010, 01:02 AM
the question is do the steelers have the talent across the O-line to play smashmouth football.

Aussie_steeler
01-22-2010, 01:35 AM
lets get back on track and to the true nature of the thread

If A=B and B=C then, of course, A=C.

So, if…

“the best offense” (A) = “a great defense” (B) …as is widely accepted

And…

“the best defense” (B) = “a great running offense” (C) …as we just proved

Then it absolutely holds true that…

“the best offense” (A) = “a great running offense” (C)

It has now become not only a football fact, but a mathematical fact as well.

sorry Timothy Kessler but you failed at both Maths and English

A = best offense ( easily defined statistically OBJECTIVE)
B = great defense ( open to debate, SUBJECTIVE therefore a variable)

but upon second reference and a slight morphing of B

B= best defense ( easily defined statistically OBJECTIVE) your pronumerals definition has changed
C = great running offense ( open to debate, SUBJECTIVE therefore a variable)

so A =B but B changed so that B=C therefore A can never equal C

Flawed maths Mr Kessler

I agree with your football fact just not your mathematical fact.
And dont kid yourself, Art Rooney II would never read your analysis, just like he will never read mine.

the question is do the steelers have the talent across the O-line to play smashmouth football.

If coach Kugler is a Zone blocking scheme disciple where does that place smashmouth football? I dont know. Our O-line talent seems to be a mix of talent and styles. The O-line could be in for a slight / major transition?

My view is that a stronger O-line interior would help so that the running game is not as limited to just the outside type runs. Iupati, Pouncey are two that I accept in the draft that would certainly strengthen the interior of the line.

revefsreleets
01-22-2010, 11:23 AM
We've begun our decent down the slippery slope of PCness...and that's the problem once you start becoming too sensitive to the needs of the sensitive few. Where do you stop?

Anyway, yeah, we get it. We need to run the ball more. I wonder how many different ways, and how many more threads saying he exact same thing over and over and over and over again we're going to have forced down our throats about this over the next 8 months....

MACH1
01-22-2010, 11:34 AM
We've begun our decent down the slippery slope of PCness...and that's the problem once you start becoming too sensitive to the needs of the sensitive few. Where do you stop?

Anyway, yeah, we get it. We need to run the ball more. I wonder how many different ways, and how many more threads saying he exact same thing over and over and over and over again we're going to have forced down our throats about this over the next 8 months....

As many as it takes.

How much bashing are people going to be forced to take because you don't agree with their opinion.

fansince'76
01-22-2010, 11:40 AM
As many as it takes.

As many as it takes? To do what?

HometownGal
01-22-2010, 11:42 AM
As many as it takes.

How much bashing are people going to be forced to take because you don't agree with their opinion.

At least his "bashing" is done directly on the board and not behind the scenes. :drink:

7SteelGal43
01-22-2010, 12:04 PM
I luvs me some smashmouth football. Let's get back to that next year !!!! :tt03:

MACH1
01-22-2010, 12:09 PM
At least his "bashing" is done directly on the board and not behind the scenes. :drink:

Um yeah, I was warned to tread lightly "behind the scenes" in a social group.
I figured the other social group would be a better place to voice my frustrations. And unlike some people I haven't gone out of my way personally attack or singled anyone out.

If you want I can bring it out onto the public boards.:noidea:

And if I get banned for it, then its just proves what I've said "behind the scenes".

steelreserve
01-22-2010, 12:11 PM
Damn...............:doh:

Did you not read what Aussie had to say about his daughter, yet you used that word to reply.

Political correctness can go overboard - I agree on that - and at times it seems to have no end but sometimes it is needed to show civility and compassion towards another human being, yet you've just swung and missed on those two accounts here.

Quit striking out going for the homerun and realize that it's not about you but about the "team".

Whatever. That wasn't using the word as a put-down in any way. What you are basically saying is that you can tell people to strike a word from the dictionary just because you said so, which is a concept just as disgusting to me as picking on the "developmentally disabled" is to you. No point in continuing this, because all I really see it doing is inflaming tempers further. Just try to get that I'm not going to go out of my way to insult people with stuff like this, but at the same time, don't expect people to go overboard the other way either.

BACK ON TOPIC: I really don't get why people are so worked up about "playing smashmouth football." You don't HAVE to run the ball; it's being ABLE to run the ball that matters. This year was the first time we've been ABLE to run the ball consistently since about 2005, and whatever balance we had, it seemed to work great until we got to about the 15-yard line. Then we got into trouble trying to be cute. But this was probably the most efficient I've seen the offense look in years.

No, the problem wasn't the offense or even the offensive philosophy. It was more like the defense lost its aggression. Just like in 2006, we basically went from being shifty and confusing and jumping around, to saying, "OK, here are the four guys who are going to rush, now line up and try to beat us." Then people could suddenly throw the ball on us at will. We dropped to 20th in pass defense in 2006; this year we dropped to 16th. The problem is not some mundane X's and O's issue with the offensive scheme. It's that plain vanilla does not work for us on defense. We need to be aggressive; we lost that edge this year, and people used it to take advantage of us like a sloppy drunk skank at a frat party. Hopefully, we'll be in the right mindset next year, because I really think that's all it will take.

HometownGal
01-22-2010, 01:49 PM
Um yeah, I was warned to tread lightly "behind the scenes" in a social group.

I never warned you to "tread lightly" in your Social Group, but in any event, that isn't what I was referring to. Nevermind.

I figured the other social group would be a better place to voice my frustrations. And unlike some people I haven't gone out of my way personally attack or singled anyone out.

Again - I'm not talking about your Social Group.

I am going to have to vehemently agree to disagree on your personal attack statement. You have done your fair share of it around here, and I and many others have treaded that water when baited but the difference here is - I admit it.

If you want I can bring it out onto the public boards.:noidea:

And if I get banned for it, then its just proves what I've said "behind the scenes".

You have pretty much done that - Social Groups are viewable by everyone, including Guests, but let me tell you for the record - your beliefs and those of a few select others are way off the mark. I pride myself on my integrity and I'm being 100% honest here.

Why would you be banned? Let's not hijack this thread any further - if you want to continue this discussion, my PM box is always open. :drink:

rich4eagle
01-22-2010, 07:13 PM

Wny not the easiest thing to build in the NFL is an OLine................

late picks and FA's are as good as top picks and that is proven:tt04::tt04::tt04: