PDA

View Full Version : It's official, Everest is the ST coach

vrabinec
01-21-2010, 03:56 PM
http://www.steelers.com/article/116967/

Can't say I'm jumping up and down, but at least none of his teams ever allowed 4 in one year.

MACH1
01-21-2010, 03:59 PM
Just have to wait and see how he does. Give him some time before we pass judgment.

Psyychoward86
01-21-2010, 04:03 PM
Al Everest....

couldnt find much about him, but here's a couple of good words that ive found:

1) 36 years of coaching experience

2) When he was special teams coach of the 49ers, he made KR Allen Rossum, P Andy Lee, and ST Michael Robinson pro-bowl alternates. Allen Rossum had his best year as a KR by far under Al Everest, and Andy Lee has NOW become a pro-bowl punter this year. In 2004, five of Everest's players won NFC Special Teams Player of the Week awards. In 2002, his unit had three touchdown returns and five blocked kicks..

3) From 2000-2005 as the ST coordinator for the Saints, he coached 3 more pro-bowlers. in 2002, he was named Special Teams Coach of the Year. His special teams unit with the Saints ranked near the top of the league in all categories.

4) If my sources are correct, he was also a head coach in Italy and won the Italian Championship :chuckle:

I bolded the more intriguing things about him...

Sources: http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=433371
http://www.49erswebzone.com/content/commentary/view.php?id=754

Im fairly excited about the potential he brings to this team. Kugler and Everest JUST MIGHT turn out to be some great under-the-radar hirings this season.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-21-2010, 04:07 PM
I'm with you psychoward......at least Everest has a good resume as a ST coach in the league. Ligashesky had 2 bad years with the Rams, and before that was a ST assistant in JAX.

Its an upgrade at the position. Welcome coach E!!!

HometownGal
01-21-2010, 04:57 PM
This guy has some good experience as a ST's coordinator and the way I look at it, our ST's can only get better - can't get much worse.

Welcome Coach Everest! :drink:

tony hipchest
01-21-2010, 05:42 PM
i'll say "looks like a good hire" as soon as i read Asst. ST coach Amos Jones fired by Everett in tomorrows paper. he has got to still have the stench of ligashesky all over him. everetts 1st task may be to drop the hammer...(save tomlin from all the "dirty work")

steelerdave1969
01-21-2010, 07:46 PM
At first thought I would say someone that is Excited about a hiring of a Special Teams coach would sound Nutts... lol. But I was excited a few years back when we drafted Daniel Sepulveda the Punter and he has worked out ok. Just glad to hear that we have that spot covered, now for our new WR coach.

SteelKid212
01-21-2010, 07:53 PM
i dont care about all his college and other league stats. all that doesnt matter unless ur successfull in the NFL, cuz thats where OUR TEAM plays.

and as far as im concerned. he hasnt proven to be a successful ST coach in this league.
his Special Teams in the past have been OK, but not GREAT.

i dont know if this is necessarily an upgrade... or just another "available" coach tomlin wants to make "great". :doh:
ill just have to wait and see.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-21-2010, 09:30 PM
i dont care about all his college and other league stats. all that doesnt matter unless ur successfull in the NFL, cuz thats where OUR TEAM plays.

and as far as im concerned. he hasnt proven to be a successful ST coach in this league.

i dont know if this is necessarily an upgrade... or just another "available" coach tomlin wants to make "great". :doh:

Everest......was named NFL Special Teams Coach of the Year in 2002 when his special teams units had three touchdown returns and blocked five kicks during the season. http://www.steelers.com/article/116967/

:rofl: and I bet as far as Al Everest is concerned....you havent proven to be a successful reader of articles or poster on this forum.

Psyychoward86
01-21-2010, 10:27 PM

http://goatchowder.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/doublefacepalmkzm.jpg

steelerdude15
01-21-2010, 11:56 PM
Welcome Coach Everest! I hope he strengthens the ST and they don't struggle like they did this year.

Galax Steeler
01-22-2010, 03:31 AM
I say lets give the guy a chance before we throw him to the dogs. Like HTG stated he can't do no worse then what we have had we can only go up from here.

CanadianSteel
01-22-2010, 09:30 AM
Good luck and will gladly give the man a chance as the proof will be in the results next year....

Like Mike Tomlin says often "put your resume on tape" so we can all see the results....

stlrtruck
01-22-2010, 12:51 PM
Good luck and will gladly give the man a chance as the proof will be in the results next year....

Like Mike Tomlin says often "put your resume on tape" so we can all see the results....

Lord knows the wolves will be in waiting for the first let down in STs.

I'm with you though, give the man his chance (more than one game) and see what he can work up on the field.

markymarc
01-23-2010, 02:32 PM
i'll say "looks like a good hire" as soon as i read Asst. ST coach Amos Jones fired by Everett in tomorrows paper. he has got to still have the stench of ligashesky all over him. everetts 1st task may be to drop the hammer...(save tomlin from all the "dirty work")

I agree Tony. I can't believe Amos Jones was still allowed to be employed after Bob got fired.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-23-2010, 02:42 PM
I agree Tony. I can't believe Amos Jones was still allowed to be employed after Bob got fired.

I dont get why Jones would necessarily be fired??? All he would be doing is implementing Ligs strategies.....not like he was likely coming up with the coverage schemes that sucked.

He will probably help Everest implement whatever he is gonna change. Also, gotta remember that we did have a good kickoff return game this year too.

markymarc
01-23-2010, 03:20 PM
I dont get why Jones would necessarily be fired??? All he would be doing is implementing Ligs strategies.....not like he was likely coming up with the coverage schemes that sucked.

He will probably help Everest implement whatever he is gonna change. Also, gotta remember that we did have a good kickoff return game this year too.

I see your point. Although I still think Bob got a bad deal in getting fired. It would be nice to see what Stefan Logan could do with better blocking on special teams. I can't wait to see how Al improves our overall unit.

Chidi29
01-23-2010, 06:02 PM
My main concern is how Everest's teams did in regards to kick/punt coverage. I don't know where to find those numbers at.

To me, any ST coach can look successful with good return men. You're not going to all of a sudden see Logan, Wallace, whoever it may be, fall off or break out. Which is fine, that wasn't a big issue for us. Coverage was.

I still would have hired Eric Russell from Texas Tech but that's just me.

Psyychoward86
01-23-2010, 07:27 PM
According to Pro Football Focus, the Steelers Special Teams coverage unit missed 15 tackles on the year.

Steelers' Special Teams Coverage Unit:

Most Tackles: Keyaron Fox (16)
Most Missed Tackles: Joe Burnett (4)

rich4eagle
01-23-2010, 08:53 PM
:applaudit::applaudit:http://www.steelers.com/article/116967/

Can't say I'm jumping up and down, but at least none of his teams ever allowed 4 in one year.

The upside is it cannot get worse.........let's hope it is way more than that:tt04::applaudit:

devilsdancefloor
01-23-2010, 09:28 PM
i dont care who it is as coach as long as he is a good teacher and teaches Discipline . I think we lacked that last year! Welcome to steelr nation Coach E may i never hear your name (whichis a good thing for a ST coach) :drink::tt04:

SteelerFanInStl
01-24-2010, 11:26 AM
he can't be any worse at least. i think it's impossible to get any worse than last year so I will look at this as an upgrade.

Ain't that the truth. I really wanted April but Everest is the guy that they hired so I'll back him 100%. It'd be nice to get some better blocking for Logan so that we can see him take one or more to the house next year.