PDA

View Full Version : Have we found our future OC ?

Bobby_Walden
01-22-2010, 10:01 AM
Quote from article on Sean Kugler:

"Just a solid, no-nonsense line coach," team president Art Rooney II said of Kugler, who started his new job Monday with the Steelers. "I think he's our kind of guy."

Results will ultimately determine whether that's the case.

This much, however, is certain: the man known as "Koogs" will be a key figure in fulfilling the mandate Rooney II recently issued when he said the Steelers need to do a better job of running the ball and keeping quarterback Ben Roethlisberger upright.

---------

Just what we needed.

After Mr. Rooney let coach T know the direction the Steelers would be going in...this much seems clear. A tough, no nonsense guy is just what the Dr. ordered. It will be fun to see what happens when a guy like this rolls into camp cupcake. No doubt some are due for an awakening.

Hopefully "Koogs" rubs off on a few people. Need to get back to that nasty, flatten 'em kind of run blocking so many of us grew up on. Getting pumped up for the neew season and were still months away from the draft.

Thank Mr. Rooney for providing direction.

MACH1
01-22-2010, 10:18 AM
Haven't you been told we don't need to run the ball, thats who we are now, a passing team.

Let the bashing begin.

Atranox
01-22-2010, 10:34 AM
Oh boy, another one of these threads. How insightful.

Yes, lets pound the rock 55-60% of the time and win 0 Super Bowls like we did with Bettis.

X-Terminator
01-22-2010, 10:55 AM
Haven't you been told we don't need to run the ball, thats who we are now, a passing team.

Let the bashing begin.

Yes, the Steelers are a pass-first team. What's wrong with that? When you've got the weapons that they have, why not use them? However, that does NOT mean that they shouldn't strive to run the ball more effectively when they need to run it. The Saints don't seem to have much of a problem running the ball when they need to - I think they were in the top 10 in rush yards/gm during the regular season, and they are a pass-first team. Shouldn't that what we should be striving for? Being good at both? I just do not understand this aversion to the passing game that many people have.

EDIT: Saints were #4 in pass yards/gm and #6 in rush yards/gm. They attempted 544 passes and 468 runs. That's 76 more pass attempts than rush attempts, and yet they still managed a top-10 ranking in rushing yards. That's the kind of offense I want to see here, and the kind of offense everyone should want to see here given the personnel they have.

HometownGal
01-22-2010, 11:00 AM
Results will ultimately determine whether that's the case.

That's the bottom line. Though I am encouraged by what I've read about this man and am anxious to see what he can do with our OL next season, I doubt very much he is going to be groomed to be or handed the position as OC after his first season with the Steelers as an OL coach.

Conspiracy theory #110. :yawn:

MACH1
01-22-2010, 11:12 AM
The Saints don't seem to have much of a problem running the ball when they need to - I think they were in the top 10 in rush yards/gm during the regular season, and they are a pass-first team. Shouldn't that what we should be striving for? Being good at both

That's all I'm asking for. I never said we should go back to three yards and a cloud of dust. Just make the commitment to having a good run game and use it effectively. But I'm sure someone will come along and tell me why I'm wrong.

steeltheone
01-22-2010, 11:14 AM
I doubt very much he is going to be groomed to be or handed the position as OC after his first season with the Steelers as an OL coach.

Thank you!

revefsreleets
01-22-2010, 11:15 AM
Back in 1897, the championship team ran the ball 100% of the time.

This guy is the classic one-trick pony. His posts either directly, or in this case indirectly, bash Arians. Can't we just combine them all into one stupid thread and bury it on page 3?

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-22-2010, 11:20 AM
Yes, the Steelers are a pass-first team. What's wrong with that? When you've got the weapons that they have, why not use them? However, that does NOT mean that they shouldn't strive to run the ball more effectively when they need to run it. The Saints don't seem to have much of a problem running the ball when they need to - I think they were in the top 10 in rush yards/gm during the regular season, and they are a pass-first team. Shouldn't that what we should be striving for? Being good at both? I just do not understand this aversion to the passing game that many people have.

EDIT: Saints were #4 in pass yards/gm and #6 in rush yards/gm. They attempted 544 passes and 468 runs. That's 76 more pass attempts than rush attempts, and yet they still managed a top-10 ranking in rushing yards. That's the kind of offense I want to see here, and the kind of offense everyone should want to see here given the personnel they have.

This is where the problem begins. I dont see where the poster that you quoted said anything about an aversion to the passing game. I dont see where he inferred that the Steelers should be a 3 yard and a cloud of dust team.

Anybody that believes we should have a better running game, or committ more to running the football is instantly labelled a dinosaur living in the 70's or a Cowherball devotee....and is subsequently attacked for it.

Yes, the Saints are productive running the football and they get Mike Bell, Pierre Thomas and Reggie Bush involved by running behind talented guards like Jahari Evans and Carl Nicks. I think where some take exception is that the Steelers dont seem to committ to getting Mendenhall, Parker, Moore as involved in the run game, or allow Kemoeatu or Essex to run block.

As for Kugler being the future OC.............where the heck did the OP get that. :screwy:

steelax04
01-22-2010, 11:24 AM
As for Kugler being the future OC.............where the heck did the OP get that. :screwy:

From here:
http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=47094

But he needed his own thread for it. :chuckle:

MACH1
01-22-2010, 11:32 AM
Back in 1897, the championship team ran the ball 100% of the time.

This guy is the classic one-trick pony. His posts either directly, or in this case indirectly, bash Arians. Can't we just combine them all into one stupid thread and bury it on page 3?

This is where the problem begins. I dont see where the poster that you quoted said anything about an aversion to the passing game. I dont see where he inferred that the Steelers should be a 3 yard and a cloud of dust team.

Anybody that believes we should have a better running game, or committ more to running the football is instantly labelled a dinosaur living in the 70's or a Cowherball devotee....and is subsequently attacked for it.

Yes, the Saints are productive running the football and they get Mike Bell, Pierre Thomas and Reggie Bush involved by running behind talented guards like Jahari Evans and Carl Nicks. I think where some take exception is that the Steelers dont seem to committ to getting Mendenhall, Parker, Moore as involved in the run game, or allow Kemoeatu or Essex to run block.

Or a one trick pony, arians hater, fair weather fan, bandwagoner, troll, stupid, ect.

X-Terminator
01-22-2010, 11:34 AM

Well then, what about the notion that anyone who supports a pass-first offense or believes that the NFL is a passing league is labeled a "blind Arians lover" or doesn't think we need to run the ball? Is that a problem?

It goes both ways, dude.

I wholeheartedly agree that the Steelers need to commit more to the running game. I don't know how many times I have said that. And you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who likes a prolific passing attack who would disagree.

fansince'76
01-22-2010, 11:36 AM
Well then, what about the notion that anyone who supports a pass-first offense or believes that the NFL is a passing league is labeled a "blind Arians lover" or doesn't think we need to run the ball?

Or is labeled a "guru," or a "football illiterate," or part of the "group think," etc., etc.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-22-2010, 12:08 PM
Well then, what about the notion that anyone who supports a pass-first offense or believes that the NFL is a passing league is labeled a "blind Arians lover" or doesn't think we need to run the ball? Is that a problem?

It goes both ways, dude.

I wholeheartedly agree that the Steelers need to commit more to the running game. I don't know how many times I have said that. And you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who likes a prolific passing attack who would disagree.

Sure it goes both ways. I just never pegged you for someone to knee jerk instantly to a short comment like what was made and start the snowball. There are others more apt to do that here.

I got no problem with being productive in both the pass and run game, but it seems that we have always leaned one way or the other. The Saints are a good running team, because they try to be a good running team. The current Steelers do not try. I'd love to see a headline like this in B&G for a change.

Saints Unleash Powerful Rushing Attack as They Wear Down the Bills and Improve to 3-0

by Doug Miller, NewOrleansSaints.com
Sunday, September 27, 2009 - 6:40 PM

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/Articles/2009/9/Saints%20Stampede%20Bills%2027-7.aspx

steelerdude15
01-22-2010, 12:23 PM
I'd like to see it 50/50 on the pass/run ratio. One thing I think we can do that would be smart would to rotate our running backs. Maybe one set of downs we have one in and then maybe another set of downs or next possession. Then are backs could be fresh and beat the opposing team's defense or maybe find each back's strengths and work on that, IMO.

zulater
01-22-2010, 12:49 PM
Or is labeled a "guru," or a "football illiterate," or part of the "group think," etc., etc.

I think our coach said it best.

Situational football defines us ... I've said that a lot in good times and in bad. It's no surprise to me that we were below the line at times in that area because we're sitting here today. That's why I put the emphasis on it that I do. It's the difference between winning and losing

It's not about running the ball more or passing the ball more it's all about improving our team situationally across the board. Both offensively and defensively. I think that's all any of us really want and are asking for.

nikstar
01-22-2010, 01:05 PM
Like it or not, the Steelers are a pass first team in a pass first league

but

The Steelers will be higher up in the rankings of rush attempts next year

Maybe this new wannabeOC will be the one who tells red-faced Bruce when to stop slinging and pound the rock in the 4th, we will see.

vrabinec
01-22-2010, 01:22 PM
I'd like to see it 50/50 on the pass/run ratio. One thing I think we can do that would be smart would to rotate our running backs. Maybe one set of downs we have one in and then maybe another set of downs or next possession. Then are backs could be fresh and beat the opposing team's defense or maybe find each back's strengths and work on that, IMO.

I wouldn't even mind 55/45 pass. We can't go higher than that. The teams that have a higher percentage of pass plays versus run plays that are successful are the teams like the Colts and Cards which use the short pass like the run because they are so good at it. The Steelers aren't that good at the short pass, so they need to run the ball more. It's no coincidence that 3 of the 4 teams left ran for more yards per game than the Steelers, and the one that didn't is the Colts. But this is beating a dead horse IMO. We all know this.

markymarc
01-22-2010, 02:35 PM
It's not about running the ball more or passing the ball more it's all about improving our team situationally across the board. Both offensively and defensively. I think that's all any of us really want and are asking for.

You are absolutely correct. It's not about having to run the football more on offense, it has to do with being able to run the football effectively when you need to on 3rd and short situations along with using the running game more in the 2nd half. The entire team needs to get better at situational football.

Once that happens then we will be successful in 2010 :tt02:

ricksteelers55
01-22-2010, 06:51 PM
Oh boy, another one of these threads. How insightful.

Yes, lets pound the rock 55-60% of the time and win 0 Super Bowls like we did with Bettis.

yeah cause 2005 was the year where we were a pass-happy team..........

revefsreleets
01-22-2010, 09:29 PM
Again, this is just another bash Arians thread extremely thinly veiled as something a teeny-tiny bit different.

I've repeatedly stated that the Steelers need a more effective running game, especially in the latter parts of the game when we need to grind clock and protect leads. But that should be no great epiphany to any person with even a rudimentary understanding of the game....so why all the redundant threads pretending to be re-discovering the wheel, and mischaracterizing people who realize and accept that the Steelers will continue to pass the ball more than they run it?

MACH1
01-22-2010, 09:37 PM
I'm biting my tongue.

VTsteel
01-23-2010, 09:51 AM

Huh???

http://www.shannonthomas.info/uploaded_images/bettis_trophy_UP_230-731580.jpg

Atranox
01-23-2010, 12:50 PM
Huh???

If I recall correctly, Parker was the starter, not Bettis.

Chidi29
01-23-2010, 01:01 PM

First off, hey everyone. Just signed up to the forums and I'm glad to be here.

Now let's get down to business.

Funny that you mention that 50/50 ratio. According to the numbers I've run, Arians is one of the most balanced OCs in the league. Top 8 in the league.

Chidi29
01-23-2010, 01:11 PM
And as for Rooney's comments, while they might be true, it could just easily be "owner-speak" to try to please the fans.

I am excited to bring Kugler in and curious to see how he can do behind a decent line, unlike what he had last year in Buffalo, but I'm not going to be swayed by hearing things like, "Physical, smashmouth football OMG!"

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-23-2010, 01:13 PM
If I recall correctly, Parker was the starter, not Bettis.

If I recall correctly .....In that Superbowl we ran the ball 33 times and passed it 22 times.

Football 101: A good ground game NEVER hurts the passing game. In fact a strong ground game will OPEN UP the passing game by forcing more defensive players into the box.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-23-2010, 01:14 PM

Funny that you mention that 50/50 ratio. According to the numbers I've run, Arians is one of the most balanced OCs in the league. Top 8 in the league.

Welcome to the board!!!:thumbsup:

HometownGal
01-23-2010, 01:16 PM
Football 101: A good ground game NEVER hurts the passing game. In fact a strong ground game will OPEN UP the passing game by forcing more defensive players into the box.

Football 102: Having an offensive line who can actually run block, open holes and not take stupid penalties in the red zone helps. :drink: :wink02:

OneForTheToe
01-23-2010, 01:40 PM
Football 102: Having an offensive line who can actually run block, open holes and not take stupid penalties in the red zone helps. :drink: :wink02:

Football 103 If you video tape the other teams plays and then fondle the Commissioner regularly, you needn't worry about what type of offense you run.

:wave:

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-23-2010, 01:44 PM

Exactly...an good line is imperative to having a good running game. I think we averaged 5.5 yards a carry in that Superbowl. With that kind of dominance...is it any wonder that we had Seattle defenders trying to cover our WR's one-on-one??

If anything, our WR corp is as good as I have seen since the late 70's. If we can make people respect our run again, watch the kind of stats that Holmes/Ward/Wallace start putting up!!!

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-23-2010, 01:50 PM
Football 103 If you video tape the other teams plays and then fondle the Commissioner regularly, you needn't worry about what type of offense you run.

:wave:

:rofl::rofl:

Bobby_Walden
01-23-2010, 02:08 PM
Huh???

Dude,

You just made the post of the year !!! Sweet !

Some of these people crack me up.

Atranox
01-23-2010, 02:19 PM

You're wrong. Don't you know that we pass the ball like 97% of the time? We need to run the ball more like in the good ol' days of black & white TV. That's what the Steelers do!!!

If I recall correctly .....In that Superbowl we ran the ball 33 times and passed it 22 times.

And if I recall correctly, the offense struggled immensely. We only scored because of a 75-yard run, a long Randel El to Ward pass, a a bomb from Ben to Ward down to the goal line. If we had passed more in that game and experienced the exact same results, you would be complaining about how inconsistent the offense was and how it couldn't drive the length of the field without a solid running game.

X-Terminator
01-23-2010, 04:18 PM
yeah cause 2005 was the year where we were a pass-happy team..........

And how did they end up getting to the Super Bowl that season? By taking the shackles off Ben and letting him pass the ball to try to score. Gee, imagine that? Passing the ball to score! Obviously a foreign concept based on what I've been reading around here.

Chidi29
01-23-2010, 05:55 PM
You're wrong. Don't you know that we pass the ball like 97% of the time? We need to run the ball more like in the good ol' days of black & white TV. That's what the Steelers do!!!

While we're at it, let's get back to the coal mines and the steel factories! Forget about Carnegie Mellon, we need to get back to good 'ol blue collar Pittsburgh!

HometownGal
01-23-2010, 06:28 PM
Dude,

Some of these people crack me up.

Yeah - aint that the truth?

Atranox
01-24-2010, 02:41 PM
While we're at it, let's get back to the coal mines and the steel factories! Forget about Carnegie Mellon, we need to get back to good 'ol blue collar Pittsburgh!

Agreed! :rofl:

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-25-2010, 04:43 AM
And if I recall correctly, the offense struggled immensely. We only scored because of a 75-yard run, a long Randel El to Ward pass, a a bomb from Ben to Ward down to the goal line. .

Sooooo a long pass is proof that your right....and a long run is ALSO proof that your right?:doh:

If we had passed more in that game and experienced the exact same results, you would be complaining about how inconsistent the offense was and how it couldn't drive the length of the field without a solid running game

I will thank you to not put words into my mouth. What I DID say is that a good running game is a must to compliment a passing game. You seem to have blinders on to the fact that a one-dimensional offense is a BAD offense in the NFL.

You seem to think that anyone who states the fact that we must be balanced is an old-time, must-run...dinosaur. That is a weak argument...at least be fair to the other posters in regards to what they are trying to say.:thumbsup: