PDA

View Full Version : Not a Good Week for the Libs....

revefsreleets
01-22-2010, 11:08 AM
Air America is no more. You can't run a commercial radio network that spends it's time bashing American business (large and small) and then expect those same people to buy air time. What a bunch of dolts.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_air_america_bankruptcy

LOS ANGELES Air America Radio, a radio network that was launched in 2004 as a liberal alternative to Rush Limbaugh and other conservative commentators, on Thursday shut down abruptly due to financial woes.
The network once boasted hosts such as Al Franken and Rachel Maddow, but struggled from the outset, including multiple management shake-ups, a bankruptcy in 2006 and sale for $4.25 million the following year.
Air America ceased airing new programs Thursday afternoon and said it will soon file to be liquidated under Chapter 7 bankruptcy. It began broadcasting reruns of programs and would end those as well Monday night.
"The very difficult economic environment has had a significant impact on Air America's business. This past year has seen a `perfect storm' in the media industry generally," the company said in a statement on its Web site.
The New York-based network said its "painstaking search for new investors" came close to succeeding even this week, "but ultimately fell short."
Carey Curelop, operations director for KPTK-AM 1090, an affiliate station in Seattle, said Air America's launch prompted the station to switch from classic country to a progressive talk format in 2005 in the middle of the George W. Bush presidency.
Although the station's programming was once filled entirely by Air America shows, it weaned itself off nearly completely as the company's financial troubles became public. It will only need to replace "The Ron Reagan Show" from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. and a midnight show called "Clout," but other left-leaning shows are now available from syndicators, he said.
"There was a needed outlet for the left on the air," Curelop said. "We're totally indebted to Air America for launching the network and allowing us to get our feet on the ground."
New York real estate magnate Stephen Green and his brother, politician Mark Green, bought the company out of bankruptcy in March 2007. Messages left for them were not immediately returned.
Air America said 10 consecutive quarters of declining ad revenue and the difficulty of making money on the Internet contributed to its troubles.
The network had some 100 radio outlets nationwide.
Franken, a Democrat, hosted his own show from 2004 to 2007 before leaving to campaign for a U.S. senate seat in Minnesota, which he won last year after a recount battle decided by the state Supreme Court.
Maddow went on to host her own TV show on MSNBC.

SCSTILLER
01-22-2010, 11:15 AM
I see a bailout coming :eye:

By the way, is this Ron Reagan the son of the great Ronald Reagan?

Vincent
01-22-2010, 11:57 AM
Air America is no more.

The market will tell you the value of anything. The market has placed the value of leftist sniveling at 0. Meanwhile the so called right plows on getting their "confiscatory" advertising rates. Again, the markets speaks.

"There was a needed outlet for the left on the air," Curelop said.

What, the entirety of "education", TV and cable isn't sufficient "outlet" for the left? That's right, they define "peace" as the absence of opposition to their "message". The landscape is that ridiculous. The left controls all "education" and media EXCEPT AM radio, and in the name of "fairness" AM must be dominated as well.

They snookered a very stupid electorate with hopey changy bull@#$%. The electorate realizes it. Virginia. New Jersey. Mass. November 2010. Again, the market speaks.

By the way, is this Ron Reagan the son of the great Ronald Reagan?

He is indeed. And he's every bit the intellect his sister Patti (Davis) is... http://www.thaindian.com/images/patti-davis-playboy.jpg

revefsreleets
01-22-2010, 09:41 PM
I'll never forget hearing Randi Rhoades calling for the assassination of GWB. That's my only real takeaway from Air America....

GoSlash27
01-23-2010, 07:28 AM
Well, they've still got NPR.
Yeah, it's been an ugly week for them. I hope the trend continues. :thumbsup:

zulater
01-23-2010, 11:14 AM

Me too! :applaudit:

Godfather
01-23-2010, 11:28 AM
I was sooooooooo mad when 1350AM in New Orleans switched to that format. Before that I woke up to the I-man and listened to Dr. Dean Edell and especially Phil Hendrie at night.

I gave Air America a try, but it SUCKED. Al Franken's show was slow and boring. Mike Malloy was the worst--he's a truther and the one time I caught his show was late July/early August 2005. He was talking about how convenient it was for W that 9/11 happened while W was stumbling and bumbling and compared that to the situation in the summer of 2005. I'm glad I didn't have to hear him crow "I told you so" after Katrina.

HometownGal
01-23-2010, 01:13 PM
Me too! :applaudit:

Add me to the "me too" list. :applaudit: :thumbsup:

What goes around comes around.

SteelerEmpire
01-23-2010, 06:22 PM
Yea... this stuff is gettin good now... ha ha ....

revefsreleets
01-25-2010, 08:17 AM

I listen to NPR daily...it's the closest thing to non-partisan straight reporting left on the dial.

Godfather
01-25-2010, 08:25 AM
I listen to NPR daily...it's the closest thing to non-partisan straight reporting left on the dial.

It's also the only news source that doesn't cover tabloid stories. I listened to them for a few weeks in 2005 during the Jacko trial.

revefsreleets
01-25-2010, 08:32 AM
It's also the only news source that doesn't cover tabloid stories. I listened to them for a few weeks in 2005 during the Jacko trial.

I'm not exactly sure how they got the rap of being liberal. They report the story. There's no color or reporter angle, no spin, and they RARELY do fluff pieces. They pretty much report and let the listener decide. I find it to be 1000X more heady than anything else on the radio, and most importantly, I actually LEARN things daily by listening.

Vincent
01-25-2010, 10:16 AM
I'm not exactly sure how they got the rap of being liberal. They report the story. There's no color or reporter angle, no spin, and they RARELY do fluff pieces. They pretty much report and let the listener decide. I find it to be 1000X more heady than anything else on the radio, and most importantly, I actually LEARN things daily by listening.

Whenever I listen to NPR I feel like I'm in Barnes & Noble. As opposed to Chucky Cheese.