PDA

View Full Version : Percy Harvin questionable for NFC title game.

zulater
01-22-2010, 08:14 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/01/22/vikings.injuries.ap/index.html?eref=sihp

This begs the question, as more and more states legalize medical marijuana and as there is some thought that weed helps alleviate the symtoms of migraines.

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2002/3/7/marijuana-reconsidered-imagine-that-scientists-at/

What if sometime in the near future a Doctor were to prescibe the treatment to Harvin or another football player? Would the league suspend the player or could they be forced to allow such use if indeed a doctor did in fact prescribe it?:noidea:

SteelersinCA
01-23-2010, 02:00 AM
Pretty sure the league could suspend the guy. Just because something is legal, doesn't mean the company you work for would let you use it. I sincerely doubt the NFL would be careless enough to get drug into the medicinal marijuana debate. I would bet a substantial amount of money they don't want their players posting pictures smoking dope and partying considering all the discipline problems they have already. The NFL is about as image conscious as it gets. But it is a very interesting point you bring up.

MACH1
01-23-2010, 03:32 AM
Pretty sure the league could suspend the guy. Just because something is legal, doesn't mean the company you work for would let you use it. I sincerely doubt the NFL would be careless enough to get drug into the medicinal marijuana debate. I would bet a substantial amount of money they don't want their players posting pictures smoking dope and partying considering all the discipline problems they have already. The NFL is about as image conscious as it gets. But it is a very interesting point you bring up.

I doubt the NFL could do much about it. So what, it's the NFL, if it's medically legal they can't do a whole lot. About the only thing they could do is refuse to let a guy play or participate that toked up before a team function. The laws of the land apply to the NFL just like any other corp. Same as anybody else who has a script for pain pills, sleeping pills, morphine, what have you. Just don't operate heavy equipment or a motor vehicle after taking.:chuckle:

Galax Steeler
01-23-2010, 06:24 AM
If Harvin don't play that will be a huge blow for the Vikings. He is a play maker everytime he touches the ball. If he can't go then the Saints fans should be loving it.

HometownGal
01-23-2010, 07:23 AM
If Harvin don't play that will be a huge blow for the Vikings. He is a play maker everytime he touches the ball. If he can't go then the Saints fans should be loving it.

For returns - yes, but Favre still has one helluva receiver in Sidney Rice. He pretty much has been Favre's go-to guy since early on in the season.

I'm all for legalizing marijuana, but I would think the NFL could have some say in whether a player partakes of the wacky tabacky prior to a game, just as they do with consuming alcohol on game day. Both have just about the same effect.

zulater
01-23-2010, 09:48 AM
For returns - yes, but Favre still has one helluva receiver in Sidney Rice. He pretty much has been Favre's go-to guy since early on in the season.

I'm all for legalizing marijuana, but I would think the NFL could have some say in whether a player partakes of the wacky tabacky prior to a game, just as they do with consuming alcohol on game day. Both have just about the same effect.

What about through the week though? Maybe if he got his buzz on at the right time of the day a couple times through the week the migranes wouldn't be problematic? I know someone who swears by the stuff for migaines. :noidea:

I honestly haven't touched the stuff in over 20 years, but you can see the cloud on the horizon,(:chuckle:) it will probably be legal in a good number of states, at least for medical purposes within the next decade.

If and when that happens at some point you'd have to think the league would be forced to revisit it's policy concerning it. If anyone really wants to face the truth it's already pretty widespread anyways. I mean look at all the players who recently got discovered with the weed only by happenstance, and apparently had no trouble getting through the league's testing apperatus.