View Full Version : Harris: Colon backs balanced Steelers offense

mesaSteeler
01-22-2010, 11:09 PM
Harris: Colon backs balanced Steelers offense
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_663651.html#
By John Harris
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, January 23, 2010

Right tackle Willie Colon watched in silence last season when running back Willie Parker told reporters about the Steelers needing to return to their roots as a running team.

Colon felt his teammate's pain when coach Mike Tomlin chastised Parker for saying aloud what other players believed privately.

"As a guy on the team trying to make a buck, you do what you're told, and you don't ask questions," Colon said. "The only reason (Parker) got reprimanded is that we wanted to keep our offense as tight-knit as possible. We were behind him, but as a team, we try to keep everything in-house.''

However, recent comments from team president Art Rooney II mandating a renewed emphasis on running in 2010 liberated Colon's vocal cords and sparked his imagination for next season's offensive possibilities.

"We haven't had an identity," Colon said. "We'll throw the ball really well, and then there will be some games where we run the ball really well. Being committed to the run will help us manage the game better.''

While the Steelers have focused more on the pass adding to a league-wide trend that featured 23 teams throwing more than 50 percent of the time this season they're still a running team at heart.

"We have the ability to pass block we have athletic guys that can get it done,'' said Colon, who has started 54 consecutive games, including the playoffs. "(But) when you look at the mind-set of a lot of our guys, running the ball probably is our suit. We have a bunch of guys that love to get after it.''

Playing devil's advocate, I presented Colon with an argument in support of the passing game. The Steelers won Super Bowl XLIII on a last-minute drive by throwing the ball, I reminded Colon, with Ben Roethlisberger and Santonio Holmes collaborating for a spectacular touchdown reception.

"That was a situation where we had no choice but to throw the ball,'' Colon said. "With the type of quarterback we have in Ben, anything's possible. If we're forced to go no-huddle or spread and throw the ball, we have that option. A lot of teams don't have that option. That's why we're so fortunate.''

The Steelers weren't so fortunate when their offense became enamored with the pass during a 13-6 loss at Cleveland that epitomized the team's five-game skid.

On back-to-back third-and-short plays to open the game, the Steelers operated from the shotgun only to have Roethlisberger get sacked both times.

"I'll be the first to say I didn't play my best ball that game,'' Colon said. "Overall, as a unit, we didn't play as well as we could have. But at the same time, throughout the year, there were a lot of instances where we didn't run the ball when we should have.

"I don't question play-calling. But sometimes you've gotta scratch your head.''

Colon and starting right guard Trai Essex last week visited former Steelers left tackle Marvel Smith, who retired before the start of the 2009 season. Together, they watched New York defeat San Diego in the AFC divisional playoffs led by a strong run game and a line featuring former Steelers guard Alan Faneca.

The Jets led the NFL in rushing while passing a league-low 41 percent of the time.

"The thing about running the ball, you're not going to break a big run on your first rip," Colon said. "You have to be committed to the run. You have to understand that come the third or fourth quarter, you start to crack a defense.

"I want a balanced offense. If you're able to run and pass, you really put teams at a big disadvantage.''

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

MACH1
01-23-2010, 02:18 AM
We're a passing team now, so I guess he'll just have to get over it.

"We'll throw the ball really well, and then there will be some games where we run the ball really well. Being committed to the run will help us manage the game better.''

Hmmm, where have I heard that before.

:huh: Wow, just noticed I've been stripped of my supporter badge.

Steeldude
01-23-2010, 04:34 AM
colon needs to get his head out of his colon. doesn't he know that arians does no wrong? passing in a blizzard is the ultimate game plan. running a wide sweep on 4th and 2 is a excellent play call. pushing the 3-TE set even, after if fails repeatedly, is pure genius.

HometownGal
01-23-2010, 05:44 AM
This coming from the master of the holding penaties in the red zone, a couple of which negated TD's this season? :banging:

HometownGal
01-23-2010, 05:46 AM
We're a passing team now, so I guess he'll just have to get over it.

Hmmm, where have I heard that before.

:huh: Wow, just noticed I've been stripped of my supporter badge.

I don't have mine either and I just donated again a week or so ago. :noidea:

groundhogday
01-23-2010, 09:42 AM
Colon is right on! No one is saying run the ball 60% of the time but having an offense committed to running opens up a bunch of options. You can stil pass 55% of the time and have an offense committed to running. It's called a ton of play action. Bens stats and QB rating will be sick. Colon also cited that Ben can take over a game which alot of teams don't have that option.

I wonder what Colon will think if we draft an OT and kick him into guard? I'm starting to think we'll go Iupati at guard in the draft.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-23-2010, 02:29 PM
This coming from the master of the holding penaties in the red zone, a couple of which negated TD's this season? :banging:

Actually, its coming from the guy the Steelers coaches believe to be the BEST offensive lineman on the team and one of the best in the NFL at his position.

"I think Willie Colon is as good a right tackle as there is in this league," said offensive coordinator Bruce Arians.

"He's as good a run-blocking right tackle as there is in the league," said offensive line coach Larry Zierlein. "He's an excellent drive blocker and his pass protection has improved tremendously. He's a lot better pass blocker than people want to give him credit for."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09215/988261-66.stm#ixzz0dTA66L7o

Bubbabanjo
01-23-2010, 02:33 PM
I'd agree with Willy but we need a stud back that can punish the other team. We just dont have that right now. Mendy is good....but he cant take the "run it down your face" approach. We need a big back to pair with Mendenhal. Plus they got shut down on the run or couldnt convert 3rd down all year. Red zone heavy package....just aint there. Need that big back in Black and gold. Just dont know where theres a guy like that available. Man we need another Bus.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-23-2010, 02:35 PM
"We haven't had an identity," Colon said. "We'll throw the ball really well, and then there will be some games where we run the ball really well. Being committed to the run will help us manage the game better.''

While the Steelers have focused more on the pass adding to a league-wide trend that featured 23 teams throwing more than 50 percent of the time this season they're still a running team at heart.

"We have the ability to pass block we have athletic guys that can get it done,'' said Colon, who has started 54 consecutive games, including the playoffs. "(But) when you look at the mind-set of a lot of our guys, running the ball probably is our suit. We have a bunch of guys that love to get after it.''.....

"I don't question play-calling. But sometimes you've gotta scratch your head.''....

"The thing about running the ball, you're not going to break a big run on your first rip," Colon said. "You have to be committed to the run. You have to understand that come the third or fourth quarter, you start to crack a defense.

"I want a balanced offense. If you're able to run and pass, you really put teams at a big disadvantage.''

Colon is basically saying what most O linemen around the NFL would say. They want to run block, beat down the guy across from him and wear down the defense by physically dominating them in the 4th quarter. But he also wants balance, so the defense cannot stack up the box against the run.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-23-2010, 02:38 PM
I Need that big back in Black and gold. Just dont know where theres a guy like that available. Man we need another Bus.

I couldn't DISAGREE more. Mendenhall is fine as a RB. Just need another guy to take some carries from him.

Tons of fat backs around like TJ Duckett, Michael Bush, PJ Hill, Najeh Davenport,etc that are not productive. Dont need another one.

OneForTheToe
01-23-2010, 03:57 PM
I couldn't DISAGREE more. Mendenhall is fine as a RB. Just need another guy to take some carries from him.

Tons of fat backs around like TJ Duckett, Michael Bush, PJ Hill, Najeh Davenport,etc that are not productive. Dont need another one.

Bill Cowher's man crush. What is he 65 now?:chuckle:

X-Terminator
01-23-2010, 04:12 PM
Actually, its coming from the guy the Steelers coaches believe to be the BEST offensive lineman on the team and one of the best in the NFL at his position.

"I think Willie Colon is as good a right tackle as there is in this league," said offensive coordinator Bruce Arians.

"He's as good a run-blocking right tackle as there is in the league," said offensive line coach Larry Zierlein. "He's an excellent drive blocker and his pass protection has improved tremendously. He's a lot better pass blocker than people want to give him credit for."

Still doesn't excuse his costly penalties he took last season that killed drives and negated TDs. Who could forget the Giants game in 08 where a holding call on him negated a 50 yard TD to Nate Washington that could have possibly sealed the game for the Steelers? He's good for one false start per game, which indicates a lack of focus at times.

In other words, he's not the bee's knees.

X-Terminator
01-23-2010, 04:30 PM
BTW, I have no problem at all with Colon's overall sentiment - we do need more of a commitment to the run. All of the so-called "Arians lovers" believe that we need more of a commitment to the run. It is absolutely essential to both red-zone performance and closing out games. NO ONE disagrees with that, contrary to popular sentiment. But I still want to see the passing game continue to flourish - with those weapons available, I can't see why anyone WOULDN'T want that.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-23-2010, 04:37 PM
Still doesn't excuse his costly penalties he took last season that killed drives and negated TDs. Who could forget the Giants game in 08 where a holding call on him negated a 50 yard TD to Nate Washington that could have possibly sealed the game for the Steelers? He's good for one false start per game, which indicates a lack of focus at times.

In other words, he's not the bee's knees.

I LOVE IT!!!! The article is about Colon stating his opinion about running the ball more.....and the instant reaction is to try and discredit him because he committed a holding penalty. :rofl:

in 2008 he committed 11 penalties, for less than 90 yards, yet Ben threw 15 INT's.....and suddenly his opinion as a NFL player and the best O lineman on the Steelers is invalid.

...and who could forget Colon's devastating block vs the Giants in 2008 that sprung Mewelde Moore for a 32 yard TD??? Oh, I guess you did.....as all you can remember is a holding call, that if he didnt grab the defender, Ben would have been concussed again. :doh: I seem to remember that one.

Pittsburgh Steelers at 12:42 NYG PIT

2nd and 4 at NYG 32 (11:22) M.Moore right tackle for 32 yards, TOUCHDOWN. 0 6
Je.Reed extra point is GOOD, Center-G.Warren, Holder-M.Berger.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-23-2010, 04:45 PM
BTW, I have no problem at all with Colon's overall sentiment - we do need more of a commitment to the run. All of the so-called "Arians lovers" believe that we need more of a commitment to the run. It is absolutely essential to both red-zone performance and closing out games. NO ONE disagrees with that, contrary to popular sentiment. But I still want to see the passing game continue to flourish - with those weapons available, I can't see why anyone WOULDN'T want that.

Thanks for getting back to the actual topic of the thread. I too think we need balance just like Colon said in the article. I respect that he doesnt question calls.....but sometimes find himself giving his head a shake.

I just dont understand how Colon having a holding call, or giving up less than 5 yards per game in a penalty, suddenly makes him a less credible source, or a bad player????

Ryan Clady was flagged for holding calls against the Steelers James Harrison and the Chargers among others this season. Clady allowed 8 sacks this season. Is Ryan Clady a bum who does not have a worthwhile opinion because of a holding call??

HometownGal
01-23-2010, 06:36 PM

I'm not saying he isn't a half-decent RT, Gonz, but I wouldn't go so far as to say he is one of the best in the league - sorry. Gee - who'd thunk I would disagree with "Brucey"? :chuckle:

I'm saying that he needs to clean up his own backyard before spouting off about other aspects of the O strategy. He takes way too many costly penalties to suit me.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
01-23-2010, 06:47 PM
It will be so funny next season when the steelers start running the ball more and then reading the complaints on this forum of "well, why don't they pass it more? remember last season when we threw the ball and ben broke a passing record and we had two 1000 yard receivers? man, we should go back to what we did well last year..."

trust me, this WILL happen here...

but i find colon's comments to be a bit humorous...according to his line of thinking they didn't run the ball well because they didn't know what their identity was. personally, i think offensive tackles stink...

Psyychoward86
01-23-2010, 07:09 PM
I LOVE IT!!!! The article is about Colon stating his opinion about running the ball more.....and the instant reaction is to try and discredit him because he committed a holding penalty. :rofl:

in 2008 he committed 11 penalties, for less than 90 yards, yet Ben threw 15 INT's.....and suddenly his opinion as a NFL player and the best O lineman on the Steelers is invalid.

...and who could forget Colon's devastating block vs the Giants in 2008 that sprung Mewelde Moore for a 32 yard TD??? Oh, I guess you did.....as all you can remember is a holding call, that if he didnt grab the defender, Ben would have been concussed again. :doh: I seem to remember that one.

Pittsburgh Steelers at 12:42 NYG PIT

2nd and 4 at NYG 32 (11:22) M.Moore right tackle for 32 yards, TOUCHDOWN. 0 6
Je.Reed extra point is GOOD, Center-G.Warren, Holder-M.Berger.

i agree with u, but to be fair, that TD run was sprung by heath Miller's block on justin tuck, i remember just as it happened

steelerdave1969
01-23-2010, 07:18 PM
As a longtime Steelers fan I would love to see the Steelers be a 55-45 on the running game getting the bulk of plays myself. But when the game is in a spot and there is always some that is gonna happen, its nice to know that Ben is behind center and he has proven he can get R done when it counts..

:tt04:

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-23-2010, 07:41 PM
i agree with u, but to be fair, that TD run was sprung by heath Miller's block on justin tuck, i remember just as it happened

I seem to remember it too. I had recorded the game and went back with my DVR and broke that down. Miller set the edge on the DE, which I belive you are correct was Tuck...........and Colon blocked down and just drove the DT out of the hole.

Point is, most fans only see the hold or a false start.........but forget the physically dominating blocks and take them for granted.

Psyychoward86
01-23-2010, 07:42 PM
I seem to remember it too. I had recorded the game and went back with my DVR and broke that down. Miller set the edge on the DE, which I belive you are correct was Tuck...........and Colon blocked down and just drove the DT out of the hole.

Point is, most fans only see the hold or a false start.........but forget the physically dominating blocks and take them for granted.

:thumbsup:

but as a whole, our entire offense needs to get their heads on a swivel in the redzone. ugh

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-23-2010, 07:51 PM
I'm not saying he isn't a half-decent RT, Gonz, but I wouldn't go so far as to say he is one of the best in the league - sorry. Gee - who'd thunk I would disagree with "Brucey"? :chuckle:

I'm saying that he needs to clean up his own backyard before spouting off about other aspects of the O strategy. He takes way too many costly penalties to suit me.

Its perception and not reality. I broke down Colon's 2008 penalties and there were 11 for something like 85 yards in total.(something like 6 holds, 4 false starts and an illegal formation)..........yet I think Hines Ward had more penalty yardage on holding, block in the back and unsportsmanlike.

Colon was asked about the offense.......he stated what most linemen believe, that they like to run block better and that is all. The guy has every right to speak about what he does for a living.

Its like saying that Jeff Reed has no right to respond to a reporters questions about kicking, until he tries to hit Percy Harvin harder than a paper towel dispenser. Its just not a rational belief.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-23-2010, 07:54 PM
:thumbsup:

but as a whole, our entire offense needs to get their heads on a swivel in the redzone. ugh

I think the O line would prefer if they put the ball in Mendenhalls hands, with David Johnson lead blocking and let them drive it in the endzone.....instead of going empty backfield when the defense has no worry of a vertical threat.

Its basically why the run n shoot was not a good red zone offense. It could stretch the field and move the ball between the 20's, but when the secondary only had to cover a 10 yard deep end zone.....it failed to score TD's.

X-Terminator
01-23-2010, 09:07 PM

Never said his point was invalid. I'm just pointing out that he isn't "all that" as you and others believe. Just my opinion. No need to get your back up, sheesh.

X-Terminator
01-23-2010, 09:17 PM
Thanks for getting back to the actual topic of the thread. I too think we need balance just like Colon said in the article. I respect that he doesnt question calls.....but sometimes find himself giving his head a shake.

I just dont understand how Colon having a holding call, or giving up less than 5 yards per game in a penalty, suddenly makes him a less credible source, or a bad player????

Ryan Clady was flagged for holding calls against the Steelers James Harrison and the Chargers among others this season. Clady allowed 8 sacks this season. Is Ryan Clady a bum who does not have a worthwhile opinion because of a holding call??

OK, so I make a couple of comments, and all of a sudden I think he's not credible? WTF??? Colon is the guy on the field playing - why the hell wouldn't I think he isn't credible??? Again, I just don't think he's as good as some people say and that he needs to clean up some areas of his game. That's all!

It will be so funny next season when the steelers start running the ball more and then reading the complaints on this forum of "well, why don't they pass it more? remember last season when we threw the ball and ben broke a passing record and we had two 1000 yard receivers? man, we should go back to what we did well last year..."

trust me, this WILL happen here...

but i find colon's comments to be a bit humorous...according to his line of thinking they didn't run the ball well because they didn't know what their identity was. personally, i think offensive tackles stink...

I agree. You know there are always fans who aren't happy unless they're bitching about something.

As for the tackles, I'd say both Colon and Starks are average at best. That's good enough to win with, but there are probably better guys coming out of college - at least guys with more upside to their games, anyway.

Chidi29
01-23-2010, 09:32 PM
The thing Colon is wrong about is that we ARE a balanced offense. The numbers prove that.

scsteeler
01-23-2010, 10:24 PM
I think if you look at statistics we were very balanced but what the Younger Mr. Rooney was talking about and Colon is that the Steelers need to be Run first and often team and pass to keep other teams honest.

That being said we do need to take advantage of talented receiving core we have but they would be so much more dangerous when teams are defending the run first and not the pass.

Just my assessment.

devilsdancefloor
01-23-2010, 10:29 PM
Olineman want to run because they get to hit the guy across from them intead of taking all the hits. That is just a human nature thing i want to do the hitting not getting hit . i agree he does have untimely penalties, but lack of ficus or just tired of the one taking the hits instead doing the hitting? I would really like to see what the young guns can do on the inside. starks kemo legusrky urbik and colon as our line.

mEPDNHCrPfM

Chidi29
01-23-2010, 10:32 PM
But why do we need to be run first? According to that logic, which I don't know if I fully believe in, you could pass early, force the defense to back off, and run the ball with success against that.

It all points back to working with the guys that you have. Arizona and New Orleans are high-flying offenses because of the weapons they have. The Jets and Ravens are grinders because of what they got. It's not about a mindset; it's about personnel.

Our personnel is to pass. No doubt about it. And I'm glad Arians is doing so.

devilsdancefloor
01-23-2010, 10:48 PM
But why do we need to be run first? According to that logic, which I don't know if I fully believe in, you could pass early, force the defense to back off, and run the ball with success against that.

It all points back to working with the guys that you have. Arizona and New Orleans are high-flying offenses because of the weapons they have. The Jets and Ravens are grinders because of what they got. It's not about a mindset; it's about personnel.

honestly we need to RUN it is fine to throw the ball in sept and oct in the burgh but we have to be able to run we do not play in a dome or play in weather that the cards and chargers enjoy in dec & jan. Doesnt mean we cant be a 60/40 pass throw team it means situational football.

X-Terminator
01-23-2010, 10:52 PM

Well yes, that's what you're supposed to do - play to your strengths. The Steelers' strength right now is definitely the passing game. But Mendenhall isn't anything to sneeze at either - the guy gained over 1,100 yards in just 13 starts, and in a few of those games he had less than 20 carries. Just based on that, if you give him 20-25 carries a game over a full season, with his YPC average, he could easily gain 1,600+ yards. So if and when they need to establish the run first, they can do so...provided of course the OL does its job.

tony hipchest
01-23-2010, 10:53 PM
Our personnel is to pass. No doubt about it. And I'm glad Arians is doing so.actually, the only thing arians is doing is golfing.

we'll see if he is insubordinate in august. oh, and our personnel is to play football and do what the coach says. theres more to this team than just ben.

this year we were the houston texans. their personnel is to pass, and they will just gett better with a healthy owen daniels. but like us, w/o an effective run game, they will continue to be average.

we have the best run blocking wr and te in the league. we finally spent a first round pick on a running back. while wallace is a killer weapon, i dont see how his addition completely changes our personell. players dont do that. coaches do.

BTW- i think, willie colon is speaking for the majority of the team, not just a select few.

Chidi29
01-24-2010, 12:03 AM
actually, the only thing arians is doing is golfing.

we'll see if he is insubordinate in august. oh, and our personnel is to play football and do what the coach says. theres more to this team than just ben.

this year we were the houston texans. their personnel is to pass, and they will just gett better with a healthy owen daniels. but like us, w/o an effective run game, they will continue to be average.

we have the best run blocking wr and te in the league. we finally spent a first round pick on a running back. while wallace is a killer weapon, i dont see how his addition completely changes our personell. players dont do that. coaches do.

BTW- i think, willie colon is speaking for the majority of the team, not just a select few.

Of course, you are paying Ben $100 million. That factors into things a bit, don't you think?

Of course, you're right that there is more to the team than Ben. There's also a $40 million TE, 2 SB MVP's at WRs, and a team rookie of the year in the slot. Add Holmes to the list of big pay guys should we end up extending him.

I'm all for balance and not ignoring the running game and that's what we're doing. Favoring the pass, our strongsuit, but an overall balance.

Bear in mind that we don't have the smashmouth run blocking line that we did in the Bettis days. No Hartings, no Faneca, Marvel Smith, etc.

Chidi29
01-24-2010, 12:04 AM
Well yes, that's what you're supposed to do - play to your strengths. The Steelers' strength right now is definitely the passing game. But Mendenhall isn't anything to sneeze at either - the guy gained over 1,100 yards in just 13 starts, and in a few of those games he had less than 20 carries. Just based on that, if you give him 20-25 carries a game over a full season, with his YPC average, he could easily gain 1,600+ yards. So if and when they need to establish the run first, they can do so...provided of course the OL does its job.

And we have used Mendenhall quite a bit. Since Week 4, he averaged 20 touches per game.

tony hipchest
01-24-2010, 12:22 AM
Of course, you are paying Ben $100 million. That factors into things a bit, don't you think?

Of course, you're right that there is more to the team than Ben. There's also a $40 million TE, 2 SB MVP's at WRs, and a team rookie of the year in the slot. Add Holmes to the list of big pay guys should we end up extending him.

I'm all for balance and not ignoring the running game and that's what we're doing. Favoring the pass, our strongsuit, but an overall balance.

Bear in mind that we don't have the smashmouth run blocking line that we did in the Bettis days. No Hartings, no Faneca, Marvel Smith, etc.
yet we are still 18th in the league in pass attempts per game.

bens paycheck should never factor into game planning. james harrison makes a butt load of money too, but was still asked to drop back into coverage more as opposed to rushing the qb, when polamalu went down.

mvp awards should also never factor into game planning. hines won the award. but ben scored a rushing td as did willie parker. jerome iced the game in the 4 minute drill.

james harrison or big ben coulda just as easilly ben the mvp last year.

again... miller and ward are both known more for being complete and balanced players as opposed to their fantasy statistics or paychecks.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-24-2010, 12:23 AM
Never said his point was invalid. I'm just pointing out that he isn't "all that" as you and others believe. Just my opinion. No need to get your back up, sheesh.

I never said that he was "all that", nor do I or others on this board believe that he is a good player.....I was actually quoting a newspaper article where the Steelers offensive coaches said he was one of the better RT's in the NFL.

I happen to believe that Colon is still shorter and has shorter arms than one would like for an OT in the NFL. I think he would be a monster of a guard, but he performs beyond his physical shortcomings, but just outworking others. Starks on the other hand has all the physical tools, yet is still average like you say.

The fact is that Colon stated his opinion (all O linemen like to run block) about establishing the run, which for some reason brings up the need to try and blame the 2008 Giants loss on a holding call of his??? That makes no sense to me, other than trying to deflect the fact that some Steelers want to run the ball more and said it in the media.

You think Colon is average, I think he should be a guard, but is an above average RT that is in line to make the same kind of money that Vernon Carey or Joe Staley signed for. No big deal, we differ in opinion.

Will be interesting to see if Colon gets a $ 6million a year contract(or higher) in 2011. If it wasnt for the labour issues this year, he was gonna make that as a free agent probably.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-24-2010, 12:29 AM

On the contrary. Kemoeatu, Colon, Starks, Hartwig are all known for being powerful run blockers instead of nimble pass protectors. This line is built to be better run blockers than pass protectors.............and I hope coach Kugler gets a chance to prove that.

tony hipchest
01-24-2010, 12:40 AM
On the contrary. Kemoeatu, Colon, Starks, Hartwig are all known for being powerful run blockers instead of nimble pass protectors. This line is built to be better run blockers than pass protectors.............and I hope coach Kugler gets a chance to prove that.

sorry gonzo, but im gonna have to disagree. running power g with kemo has been a complete failure and we suck every time we lead a runner in goal line situations with legursky. that type of power football is dead.

plus all our linemen are 290-300 lb guys better suited for zone blocking, which is why we brought in koogs.

oh, and we will be switching to the 4-3 any day now.

*this post was sponsored by the letters sarcasm and LOL*

Chidi29
01-24-2010, 12:51 AM
yet we are still 18th in the league in pass attempts per game.

bens paycheck should never factor into game planning. james harrison makes a butt load of money too, but was still asked to drop back into coverage more as opposed to rushing the qb, when polamalu went down.

mvp awards should also never factor into game planning. hines won the award. but ben scored a rushing td as did willie parker. jerome iced the game in the 4 minute drill.

james harrison or big ben coulda just as easilly ben the mvp last year.

again... miller and ward are both known more for being complete and balanced players as opposed to their fantasy statistics or paychecks.

The point I'm trying to make is that we've invested money in these guys and others have the high accolodes because we believe in them and we've reaped the benefits from that.

Do you think it's a coincidence that as soon as Miller got paid, he had his best season?

You don't force the ball into anyone's hand because of how much they are making, but you find ways to get them involved as much as possible. Why? Money is partially it, but why did you give them that money in the first place?

Because you thought they were good enough.

Chidi29
01-24-2010, 12:52 AM

I agree with Kemo and Colon, but Hartwig? No way.

My point still stands. This line isn't as good as ones of the past and we're much better suited to pass than we are to run.

tony hipchest
01-24-2010, 01:07 AM
Do you think it's a coincidence that as soon as Miller got paid, he had his best season?

.no more than i think it is a coincidence that since he got paid, he has missed the playoffs for only his 2nd time as a pro.

"best season"? thats really subjective isnt it?

i would say his best seasons were in '05 (rookie) and last year. im sure he would agree. i think he would call '09 his 3rd best season. :noidea:

Chidi29
01-24-2010, 01:12 AM
no more than i think it is a coincidence that since he got paid, he has missed the playoffs for only his 2nd time as a pro.

"best season"? thats really subjective isnt it?

i would say his best seasons were in '05 (rookie) and last year. im sure he would agree. i think he would call '09 his 3rd best season. :noidea:

Best statistical season. I thought that was clear.

tony hipchest
01-24-2010, 01:15 AM
stats only win fantasy football games. i will take his 2 rings over any pro-bowl or all pro nominations.

heath is the type of team player to say "hell yeah" to that.

point blank. his best statistical season = 9-7 and sitting at home (plus his best statistical season still didnt get him either of the fishwrap/fan voting nominations).

Chidi29
01-24-2010, 01:19 AM
That isn't my point.

Money =/= success

So your point isn't logical.

But money = team thinking you're good

Which is equal to you being used more. That's my point. Heath gets paid ergo he is used a bunch more.

It isn't hard to understand. You're just acting stubborn for reasons unknown to me.

groundhogday
01-24-2010, 09:45 AM
I think it's interesting when discussing offense everyone points to the gaudy passing and receiving stats plus throws in the 1,000 yard rushing performance by Mendy. In reality we were ranked 12th (23 per) in scoring. Miami was ranked 15th at 22.5 per. Our team is middle of the pack when it comes to scroring offense. Something needs to change. Our 2005 which ran the ball a ridiculous amount and took a ton of air out of the ball in the second half was in the top 10 at 24.3 per. I guess what i'm saying is passing the ball more doesn't lead to scoring more. I believe having a commitment to the run and lining up in running formations using a ton of play action will increase the red zone effectiveness of this team. Pass 55% of the time but use the better formations, play action, and overall better play calling.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-24-2010, 10:49 AM
I agree with Kemo and Colon, but Hartwig? No way.

My point still stands. This line isn't as good as ones of the past and we're much better suited to pass than we are to run.

Then you have a blind hate on for Hartwig. His run blocking was never more evident than in week 17 2008 vs the Browns where he manhandled Shaun Rogers....then 2 weeks later did the same to Jamaal Williams of the Chargers.

Hartwig has heavy feet that sometimes get him beat in pass blocking and gives up sacks, but he can handle the big NT's in the run game. Same goes for Starks and Kemo.

Were the Steelers lines more talented with Faneca, Hartings, (a healthy) Marvel Smith??? YES!!! Are their replacements (Kemo, Hartiwg, Starks) somehow more nimble pass protectors than their predecessors???? NO FREAKING WAY!!!

Chidi29
01-24-2010, 11:01 AM
I think it's interesting when discussing offense everyone points to the gaudy passing and receiving stats plus throws in the 1,000 yard rushing performance by Mendy. In reality we were ranked 12th (23 per) in scoring. Miami was ranked 15th at 22.5 per. Our team is middle of the pack when it comes to scroring offense. Something needs to change. Our 2005 which ran the ball a ridiculous amount and took a ton of air out of the ball in the second half was in the top 10 at 24.3 per. I guess what i'm saying is passing the ball more doesn't lead to scoring more. I believe having a commitment to the run and lining up in running formations using a ton of play action will increase the red zone effectiveness of this team. Pass 55% of the time but use the better formations, play action, and overall better play calling.

Through their first three seasons, Whiz has averaged just .3 of a point more per game than Arians has. And I don't recall anyone complaining about the lack of points then.

Granted, I would like this offense to score more. It certainly has the ability to do so; it just has trouble staying consistent in execution.

tony hipchest
01-24-2010, 12:42 PM
It isn't hard to understand. You're just acting stubborn for reasons unknown to me.so anyone who disagrees with you and thinks you are wrong is stubborn? you will fit in just fine here. theres alot of that going around. what is stubborn is thinking the owner, head coach, and even the players are wrong, yet you are right. that isnt logical, as has been stated here many times.

Through their first three seasons, Whiz has averaged just .3 of a point more per game than Arians has. And I don't recall anyone complaining about the lack of points then.

Granted, I would like this offense to score more. It certainly has the ability to do so; it just has trouble staying consistent in execution.

:busted: this is one of the most bogus uses of a stat to inflate ones flawed point i have seen in a long time. atleast since "arians having 2 of the top 11 offenses in steelers history" was tossed against a wall.

you know what the difference between arians 3 years and whiz?

wisenhunt never had a 4000 yard passer/1000 yd rusher/and two 1000yd wr's. he had a rookie qb/ rookie te/ hines, wilson, and el and an undrafted FA as wr's. he had 2 broken down old rb's and another rookie undrafted FA at rb.

arians almost looks like a complete failure compared to whiz, which explains why one has advanced his career and reached another superbowl, with a potent, high scoring offense, and the other found his head on the chopping block.

groundhogday
01-24-2010, 12:44 PM

But there in lies the problem. The playcalling and formations are not putting them in the best position to execute. The 5 wide on 2nd 3 or 3rd and short are horrible in design. Set up in a running formation and throw out of this. I remember about 11 games into the year, I think it was ESPN that put up some sick stat on Ben being 34 for 38 was a QB rating of 150 or something. What made me sick was that point, we averaged just 3 to 4 play action attempts a game. Of course after that stat showing we started calling it a bit more as if the Steelers just recognized it.

Chidi29
01-24-2010, 01:26 PM
Gr.

But there in lies the problem. The playcalling and formations are not putting them in the best position to execute. The 5 wide on 2nd 3 or 3rd and short are horrible in design. Set up in a running formation and throw out of this. I remember about 11 games into the year, I think it was ESPN that put up some sick stat on Ben being 34 for 38 was a QB rating of 150 or something. What made me sick was that point, we averaged just 3 to 4 play action attempts a game. Of course after that stat showing we started calling it a bit more as if the Steelers just recognized it.

For starters, no fan is going to like every call an OC makes. And it seems like the bad ones stick out moreso than the good ones, which are usually taken for granted.

Regarding using shotgun (Not meaning 5 wide, though that would be apart of it) in short yard situations was a better option for us than running it with Mendenhall. The numbers prove that.

Texasteel
01-24-2010, 01:29 PM
Who's head was on the chopping block?

If you compair the Card and the Steelers season. The Cards ran the ball less with simular success as the Steelers. They did score .4 points per game more, but it looked to me that it wasn't from their running game. If Whiz was still in Pittsburgh chances are we still would not have make the playoffs.

Chidi29
01-24-2010, 01:54 PM
so anyone who disagrees with you and thinks you are wrong is stubborn? you will fit in just fine here. theres alot of that going around. what is stubborn is thinking the owner, head coach, and even the players are wrong, yet you are right. that isnt logical, as has been stated here many times.

:busted: this is one of the most bogus uses of a stat to inflate ones flawed point i have seen in a long time. atleast since "arians having 2 of the top 11 offenses in steelers history" was tossed against a wall.

you know what the difference between arians 3 years and whiz?

wisenhunt never had a 4000 yard passer/1000 yd rusher/and two 1000yd wr's. he had a rookie qb/ rookie te/ hines, wilson, and el and an undrafted FA as wr's. he had 2 broken down old rb's and another rookie undrafted FA at rb.

arians almost looks like a complete failure compared to whiz, which explains why one has advanced his career and reached another superbowl, with a potent, high scoring offense, and the other found his head on the chopping block.

You're being stubborn about thinking that Heath getting paid has nothing to do with his production. When has anyone in the organzation commeneted on that? We're not talking about the balance anymore.

And yes, you are being stubborn for disagreeing with what I'm saying. It's a very simple process. Good = money. Good = being used more.

I agree that I would like to see this offense put up more points because of how potent it is. I'm well aware of that and I stated so.

tony hipchest
01-24-2010, 02:06 PM
Who's head was on the chopping block?

If you compair the Card and the Steelers season. The Cards ran the ball less with simular success as the Steelers. They did score .4 points per game more, but it looked to me that it wasn't from their running game. If Whiz was still in Pittsburgh chances are we still would not have make the playoffs.arians head was on the chopping block. he was saved for one more year. those who deny it are...well... still in denial.

anyways there is no question who is the better coach between arians and wisenhunt. the proof is in the pudding.

You're being stubborn about thinking that Heath getting paid has nothing to do with his production. When has anyone in the organzation commeneted on that? We're not talking about the balance anymore.

And yes, you are being stubborn for disagreeing with what I'm saying. It's a very simple process. Good = money. Good = being used more.

I agree that I would like to see this offense put up more points because of how potent it is. I'm well aware of that and I stated so.your logic is a house of cards at best. why dont you explain then, why harrison wasnt used more on the heels of his $50 million contract?

heath wasnt paid all that money for his offensive statistics or trying to be gates or gonzalez. he was paid for being the best all around, most balanced, best blocking TE in the business.

Chidi29
01-24-2010, 02:15 PM
What do you mean why wasn't Harrison used more? In what way?

Yes, his blocking is partially what made him good, but you can find good blocking TEs anywhere. Who he is as an offensive weapon led to his big pay day. And we weren't going to pay him $40 million for just 500 yards on 50 catches.

zulater
01-24-2010, 02:19 PM
I think the Colts are going to find out today the consequence of not having a reliable running game. Peyton is great, but truly great defenses can shut down one dimensional teams no matter who their quarterback is.

Don't get me wrong I think the chances are good the Colts will prevail in the end today. But if the Jets had a more expereinced qb, that probably wouldn't be the case.

Texasteel
01-24-2010, 02:25 PM
arians head was on the chopping block. he was saved for one more year. those who deny it are...well... still in denial.

Sorry Tony, I understood that Rooney stated that firing Arians was never discussed.

Not saying who is or is not the better coach, just that anyone that thinks things would be different if this or that guy was or was not here is still in denial. None of us can say it would or wouldn't.

Their offensive year i still very similar.

Chidi29
01-24-2010, 02:29 PM
We really have no idea how close Arians was to getting fired. Rooney is a bad source because he isn't going to say, 'Yeah, we were close to firing him. But we bought us all a round so we decided to give it another year."

And other news outlets aren't very reliable because well, those were the guys saying that Arians was going to get canned. I'm looking at you, Ken Laird.

Texasteel
01-24-2010, 02:34 PM
We really have no idea how close Arians was to getting fired. Rooney is a bad source because he isn't going to say, 'Yeah, we were close to firing him. But we bought us all a round so we decided to give it another year."

And other news outlets aren't very reliable because well, those were the guys saying that Arians was going to get canned. I'm looking at you, Ken Laird.

It's my understanding that he said it was not discussed. If BA head was on the chopping block I believe it would have been dicussed by someone, besides the fans.

Chidi29
01-24-2010, 02:37 PM
It's my understanding that he said it was not discussed. If BA head was on the chopping block I believe it would have been dicussed by someone, besides the fans.

Or Rooney is lying.

zulater
01-24-2010, 02:41 PM
Or Rooney is lying.

Or ommiting the entire story from those with no real need to know. :wink02:

Texasteel
01-24-2010, 02:42 PM
Or Rooney is lying.

You and some others around here think Rooney is a lier, I don't unless you have some prof other than, "I just think so."

Chidi29
01-24-2010, 02:46 PM
You and some others around here think Rooney is a lier, I don't unless you have some prof other than, "I just think so."

I'm just saying that he has an incentive to lie. Why come out and say you discussed firing him? All that would do is fan the flame.

Like I said, I have no idea if and how much they entertained the idea of letting go Arians. But taking Rooney's word isn't a reliable source.

Texasteel
01-24-2010, 02:52 PM
I'm just saying that he has an incentive to lie. Why come out and say you discussed firing him? All that would do is fan the flame.

Like I said, I have no idea if and how much they entertained the idea of letting go Arians. But taking Rooney's word isn't a reliable source.

If BAs head was on the chopping block, I do not believe he would not have mentuned it to the head coach. He said it was not discussed. Either he is a lier or he is not.

HometownGal
01-24-2010, 03:20 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61W2Z9HPX6L.jpg

:yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

Irongut
01-24-2010, 03:45 PM
I'd agree with Willy but we need a stud back that can punish the other team. We just dont have that right now. Mendy is good....but he cant take the "run it down your face" approach. We need a big back to pair with Mendenhal. Plus they got shut down on the run or couldnt convert 3rd down all year. Red zone heavy package....just aint there. Need that big back in Black and gold. Just dont know where theres a guy like that available. Man we need another Bus.

I disagree with that. I think Mendenhall is perfecly capable of punishing a defense. The difference between he and a guy like the Bus is he can also do more, catch, break longer plays, etc. He also allows for more formations.. You can't put the run blocking on the running back. The offense isn't commited to blocking. We seldom use a FB, don't even have a quality FB on the roster and are constantly being blitzed in our run gaps. The reason we don't run well is design of the offense and lack of a FB and a mentality to run it and let the guys up front come off the ball. Outside of Hartwig, who sucks, our line is made up of maulers being asked to block like ballerina's. They dance backward much more often then they drive forward.

As for Colon, I agree, he's one of the best in the game. I'd like to see Kemo go to the right side and move Essex to the left. He's more agile imo than Kemo and is a better pass blocker, which would help Ben's blind side. It would also allow Kemo, Colon and Heath to be on the right side in a traditional formation, not that Arians knows what that is.

The QB could also help the situation with some adjustments to his playing style and playing mentality. If he played smarter, the line instantly gets better as does the run game. If teams become a little reluctant to blitz him, it will open up the run lanes. If they had to fear a screen or quick slant instead of us hitting it 2-3 times a year, they would respect it. Ben needs to read the blitz and make those adjustments to burn the blitz and make them adjust. That will lead to more open run lanes and more big passing plays off of play action. Ben should also take a ton of less hits and sacks by playing smarter and recognizing blitzes.

Our steadfast refusal to stick with the run when trying to win and close out games is the ultimate reason we lost a few games this year. That steadfast refusal comes from our offensive coordinator, a coordinator that has never ranked above 20th I believe in rushing during any of his now six years as OC in the league.

That's why Arians had so much pressure and imo why Tomlin by choosing to keep Arians should bear that pressure now. If our offense doesn't change this year and/or we don't make the playoffs, they both should go imo. I question the leadership of the team and I question the decisionn making of the leadership of the team.

Next year is the year to measure Tomlin's ability to manage, coach and lead a team imo.

Chidi29
01-24-2010, 03:57 PM
One thing I'd highly disagree with you Irongut is your suggestion that Kemo should be moved to RG and Essex to left because he's a better pass blocker. Completely disagree. Essex is by far our worst pass blocker. His footwork is the worst I've seen. Usually off balance and completely vulnerable to swim and spin moves.

Keep Kemo at LG. Especially useful there because of how often we pull him.

groundhogday
01-24-2010, 07:31 PM
Regarding using shotgun (Not meaning 5 wide, though that would be apart of it) in short yard situations was a better option for us than running it with Mendenhall. The numbers prove that.

Again...I'm not saying you need to run it on 2 and 3 or 3rd and short, i'm saying the formations they ran last year sucked in those situations. That is why we near the bottom in red zone and 3rd down conversions. I also recall Mendy getting some tough yards when his number was called...unfortunately, it wasn't called enough.

Chidi29
01-24-2010, 07:34 PM
Again...I'm not saying you need to run it on 2 and 3 or 3rd and short, i'm saying the formations they ran last year sucked in those situations. That is why we near the bottom in red zone and 3rd down conversions. I also recall Mendy getting some tough yards when his number was called...unfortunately, it wasn't called enough.

And I'm saying that we were more successful using shotgun in short yard situations than we were running it with Mendenhall.

I have no problem with Arians using what was most effective as much as he sees fit (Though we did run it about 30 more times in short yard situations than we passed it IIRC).

MACH1
01-24-2010, 11:00 PM

I agree that I would like to see this offense put up more points because of how potent it is. I'm well aware of that and I stated so.

:huh: So getting paid more automatically makes a guy a better athlete? Then I say we pay the O-line an ungodly amount of cash if thats all it takes to make them play better. :doh:

tony hipchest
01-24-2010, 11:47 PM
What do you mean why wasn't Harrison used more? In what way? rushing the passer. you figure out the rest.

Yes, his blocking is partially what made him good, but you can find good blocking TEs anywhere.. you mean like matt spaeth who was "found in the 3rd round"?

:huh: So getting paid more automatically makes a guy a better athlete? Then I say we pay the O-line an ungodly amount of cash if thats all it takes to make them play better. :doh:i do agree with chidis logic that a guys paycheck is reflective of what they have done. miller has definitely earned his, but he is paid for much more than fantasy stats. he is paid because the steelers know what he is worth. that doesnt mean we need 100 receptions, 10 tds, and 1000 yds from him to win a champ. this is a team game, and miller is just one piece of the puzzle.

It's a very simple process. Good = money. Good = being used more.

brilliant. this explains why arians hasnt been offered a higher position in this league. it also explains why he hasnt even been offered an extension at his current job. it also explains why he is being asked to do less by his immediate supervisor (under direct orders from the main boss).

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-25-2010, 01:29 AM
Essex is by far our worst pass blocker. His footwork is the worst I've seen. Usually off balance and completely vulnerable to swim and spin moves.

This is the worst assessment that I have seen here in months. Interior D linemen rarely try to swim 6'4" guards. They either rip or club. Even less popular is a spin move on the inside. :doh: There is a reason that John Mitchell is coaching that spin OUT of Ziggy Hood's game.

Essex started at LT as a rookie for the injured Marvel Smith and kept Dwight Freeney at a distance the entire game. Then Essex started for Smith in 2007 vs the Jaguars, because he was a better pass protector that could handle Paul Spicer, where Max Starks struggled.

I would say Hartwig, Kemo and Starks are worse pass protectors than Essex, but they are all better run blockers.

Irongut
01-25-2010, 08:34 AM
This is the worst assessment that I have seen here in months. Interior D linemen rarely try to swim 6'4" guards. They either rip or club. Even less popular is a spin move on the inside. :doh: There is a reason that John Mitchell is coaching that spin OUT of Ziggy Hood's game.

Essex started at LT as a rookie for the injured Marvel Smith and kept Dwight Freeney at a distance the entire game. Then Essex started for Smith in 2007 vs the Jaguars, because he was a better pass protector that could handle Paul Spicer, where Max Starks struggled.

I would say Hartwig, Kemo and Starks are worse pass protectors than Essex, but they are all better run blockers.

Agreed except the Hartwig part. I don't think he's good at anything except getting bull rushed and confused as defenders hit Ben.

Chidi29
01-25-2010, 05:35 PM
:huh: So getting paid more automatically makes a guy a better athlete? Then I say we pay the O-line an ungodly amount of cash if thats all it takes to make them play better. :doh:

Where are you guys getting this stuff from?

Production = stats

Heath's targets and catches/yards had a big increase this year. The year after he gets paid. It doesn't make him a better athlete, it makes him more involved in the gameplan and able to show off his talents moreso than seasons past.

This is not a difficult concept to grasp.

Chidi29
01-25-2010, 05:37 PM
you mean like matt spaeth who was "found in the 3rd round"?

i do agree with chidis logic that a guys paycheck is reflective of what they have done. miller has definitely earned his, but he is paid for much more than fantasy stats. he is paid because the steelers know what he is worth. that doesnt mean we need 100 receptions, 10 tds, and 1000 yds from him to win a champ. this is a team game, and miller is just one piece of the puzzle.

brilliant. this explains why arians hasnt been offered a higher position in this league. it also explains why he hasnt even been offered an extension at his current job. it also explains why he is being asked to do less by his immediate supervisor (under direct orders from the main boss).

Spaeth also had a bum shoulder coming out of college and was 6'9. Just because one supposed "blocking TE" doesn't work out, doesn't mean they all won't. Blocking TEs are very common. If you want to cite draft, how about John Phillips for Dallas?

Arians still has some business to take care of before he gets rewarded. I agree with that and that being the reason why he hasn't been extended yet. But the accomplishments he has made and the strides he's making is the reason why he's still here.

Chidi29
01-25-2010, 05:41 PM

Rip, swim, whatever you want to call it. Point is they consistently get around him, mainly in part of Essex's poor footwork.

And yes, DTs have pulled off spin moves on Essex before. They're far and few between but have happened this year. Anthony Adams got him on one that led to a sack (Starks also got beat by Alex Brown) against the Bears.

I have documented many games in which Essex has been killed in pass protection. Starting with Week 1 against Jason Jones.

It's the complete opposite. The three guys you mentioned are all by far better pass blockers, but Essex is a better run blocker than Hartwig and possible Starks.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-26-2010, 12:39 AM
Rip, swim, whatever you want to call it. Point is they consistently get around him, mainly in part of Essex's poor footwork.

And yes, DTs have pulled off spin moves on Essex before. They're far and few between but have happened this year. Anthony Adams got him on one that led to a sack (Starks also got beat by Alex Brown) against the Bears.

I have documented many games in which Essex has been killed in pass protection. Starting with Week 1 against Jason Jones.

It's the complete opposite. The three guys you mentioned are all by far better pass blockers, but Essex is a better run blocker than Hartwig and possible Starks.

Could you please explain what about his footwork needs improvement?? Does it pertain to a "post foot", his duck kick or some other specific that you have "documented"???

Your assertion that Essex is a better run blocker than pass blocker makes no sense. Essex was inserted at LT instead of Max Starks because he was better equipped to handle Jaguars pass rushers in the 2007 season. If guys cant pass block, they are not playing the LT position....they get put on the right side.

The weakness in Essex game is run blocking. Here is an article which supports my view as well.

More importantly Essex is a terrible run blocker and the Steelers know it. Of the 16 runs the Steelers ran after Essex came into the game, only one of them was run to the left side. In most cases on running plays, the Steelers ran away from Essex, asking him only to stand there and guard the backside. When the Steelers had to ask Essex to run block in goal line situations, he struggled to lock off his man. On one play he fired off the ball well, but nearly completely whiffed on the block, landing in the end zone while his man was left free to pursue Najeh Davenport. As a run blocker Essex struggles to hit his target, struggles even more to lock up his man and drive him off the ball and is prone to losing his lock if he does get his hands on his man.
http://dev-slr.sandbox.nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/01/02/play-by-play-with-trai-essex-how-bad-is-it/

ricardisimo
01-26-2010, 12:45 AM

Ummm... not so much. Our O-Line is by their own admission a run-blocking line. We do have a very good QB and great receivers, but Mendenhall, Willie et al. are good also. The skills of our linemen should be the tiebreaker and determine the game plan, if anything.

The way I see it, Ben is going to wind up in the hospital about halfway through next season, and then we will once again become a run-first team. Nothing's going to change until then.