PDA

View Full Version : Steelers greatest legacy for me.

zulater
01-23-2010, 12:35 AM
Most people consider the Steelers 6 Super Bowl titles as their greatest legacy. Hard to argue with, it certainly sets them apart from the pack. But that's not it for me.

Others might claim the 20 Hall of Famers who either played for or were involved with the Steelers for the majority or a significant portion of their careers as their greatest legacy. Again close but no cigar. ( for me anyway)

Still others might claim the Rooney's and the way they operate a franchise as the Steelers greatest legacy. It's hard to argue with the sort of stability that has allowed a team to operate with a total sum of 3 Head coaches in the past 40 years, none which have been terminated by the orginization. Very close, but still not it for me.

No for me the Steelers greatest legacy is the fact that they've played in 14 AFC title games since the AFL-NFL merger 40 years ago. If you discount this Sunday's coming game and only count games actually played to date that comes out to 14 title game appearances in 39 games played. That's better than a 1-3 ratio! This is how dominant they've been. Even if you threw out the 70's, a decade in which they appeared in 6 conference championship games, they still have the most AFC title game appearances from 1980 on with 8!

Now that's impressive, i don't care who ya are. :tt:

zulater
01-23-2010, 01:11 AM
FYI for anyone who cares. Here's the total number of AFC conference championship game appearances for all teams since the merger.

Steelers 14, Raiders 11, Dolphins, Patriots, and Broncos 7, Colts 6*, Bills 5, Titans 4**, Chargers 4, Jets 3**, Browns 3, Bengals, Ravens, and Jaguars 2, Chiefs 1.

* two appearances as Oilers.

Since 1980.

Steelers 8, Patriots 7, Broncos 6, Bills and Raiders 5, Dolphins, Chargers, and Colts 4**, Jets** and Browns 3, Bengals, Jaguars, Titans, and Ravens 2, Chiefs 1. .

** 2009 AFC title game inclusive.

pghfrank1948
01-23-2010, 07:20 AM
The greatest legacy I believe is the Steeler Nation. Fans all over this country are dedicated to the Black and Gold. Does my heart good to see the support the team gets everywhere they play. I just wish they were playing Tomorrow!!! I take a SB every other though!!!

Steeldude
01-23-2010, 10:22 AM
doesn't that mean the steelers are 6-8? :sadness::wink02:

RoethlisBURGHer
01-23-2010, 10:37 AM
doesn't that mean the steelers are 6-8? :sadness::wink02:

7-7. We've played in seven Super Bowls, winning six.

zulater
01-23-2010, 11:43 AM
The greatest legacy I believe is the Steeler Nation. Fans all over this country are dedicated to the Black and Gold. Does my heart good to see the support the team gets everywhere they play. I just wish they were playing Tomorrow!!! I take a SB every other though!!!

Good points. I don't know if there's a major city in the country that doesn't have a decent Steelers bar in it. You can't say that about any other team. :tt:

Steeldude
01-23-2010, 12:01 PM
7-7. We've played in seven Super Bowls, winning six.

whoopsie :doh:

i got mixed up with 6 SB wins

steeltheone
01-23-2010, 01:07 PM
Winning means everything, but In the end what matters to me is i could introduce my Daughter to being a Steeler fan at a young age and feel at ease about it. The kind of family run organization you do not see anymore. Morals and values remain. I don't have to worry about most of the issues other teams do with players. I know we are not perfect, noone is. But it is nice having players a youngster can look up to.

rich4eagle
01-23-2010, 09:57 PM
Most people consider the Steelers 6 Super Bowl titles as their greatest legacy. Hard to argue with, it certainly sets them apart from the pack. But that's not it for me.

Others might claim the 20 Hall of Famers who either played for or were involved with the Steelers for the majority or a significant portion of their careers as their greatest legacy. Again close but no cigar. ( for me anyway)

Still others might claim the Rooney's and the way they operate a franchise as the Steelers greatest legacy. It's hard to argue with the sort of stability that has allowed a team to operate with a total sum of 3 Head coaches in the past 40 years, none which have been terminated by the orginization. Very close, but still not it for me.

No for me the Steelers greatest legacy is the fact that they've played in 14 AFC title games since the AFL-NFL merger 40 years ago. If you discount this Sunday's coming game and only count games actually played to date that comes out to 14 title game appearances in 39 games played. That's better than a 1-3 ratio! This is how dominant they've been. Even if you threw out the 70's, a decade in which they appeared in 6 conference championship games, they still have the most AFC title game appearances from 1980 on with 8!

Now that's impressive, i don't care who ya are. :tt:

Awesome dude...............but of course you must give the Rooney family due credit...............

for making it happnen................:tt04::tt::tt03::wave::appl audit:

da Steelers de best damn franchise in all of Sports:thumbsup:

steelerdude15
01-23-2010, 11:56 PM
To the me, everything makes the Steelers the greatest organization in pro sports. The Super Bowl victories, all the HOFer's, the "Rooney" traditions, the Terrible Towel, "real" Steelers fans, us who stick with the team through thick and thin and not give up on the team when they don't do so well. No matter what happens... going to stick with them till the day I die.

SteelGhost
01-25-2010, 10:33 AM
The greatest legacy I believe is the Steeler Nation. Fans all over this planet are dedicated to the Black and Gold. Does my heart good to see the support the team gets everywhere they play. I just wish they were playing Tomorrow!!! I take a SB every other though!!!

Fixed for ya' :chuckle: :drink:

DoubleYoi
01-25-2010, 01:41 PM
I'll take the 6 Super Bowl wins over 14 AFC Championship Game appearances any day. Ask the Eagles where they got by making it to 4 consecutive NFC Championship Games without winning a SB. Ask the Bills of the 90s if they'd trade all of their AFC Championship Game appearances for 1 Super Bowl win and I guarantee you'll get a resounding "YES!" I realize you can't have one without the other but taking more pride in AFC Championship appearences seems a little whacky to me.

Reminds me of a guy I saw on a Bengals board saying "I don't care if we go one-and-done in the playoffs...at least we beat the Steelers twice." :screwy:

zulater
01-25-2010, 07:15 PM
I'll take the 6 Super Bowl wins over 14 AFC Championship Game appearances any day. Ask the Eagles where they got by making it to 4 consecutive NFC Championship Games without winning a SB. Ask the Bills of the 90s if they'd trade all of their AFC Championship Game appearances for 1 Super Bowl win and I guarantee you'll get a resounding "YES!" I realize you can't have one without the other but taking more pride in AFC Championship appearences seems a little whacky to me.

Reminds me of a guy I saw on a Bengals board saying "I don't care if we go one-and-done in the playoffs...at least we beat the Steelers twice." :screwy:

Obviously if we didn't have the SB titles I wouldn't be so proud of the AFC title games. If we were the Vikings or Bills I wouldn't have brought it up. But we have both, and to me a final four appearance is something that should be appreciated even in a year when you fall short of your ultimate goal.

I don't care how good you are, or how good you think you are, a year where you end up in your conferences championship game is one that should be appreciated on some level.

steelreserve
01-25-2010, 07:42 PM
The greatest Steelers legacy for me is when Greg Lloyd dropped the M-F bomb on national TV after we won the AFC Championship game in 1995. That still brings a smile to my face.

Vincent
01-25-2010, 09:34 PM
The Steelers are the team of the town I was born in. They're my team. My Dad's. His Dad's and his Dad's. Win or lose, they're our team.

Our record since the merger ain't bad either. :chuckle: