PDA

View Full Version : Harrison and Holmes make the list for 10 best Super Bowl plays

stillers4me
01-23-2010, 03:24 PM
http://www.forbes.com/2010/01/22/super-bowl-plays-lifestyle-sports-nfl-football_slide_2.html

Psyychoward86
01-23-2010, 04:21 PM
Lynn Swann's in there too.....twice :tt02:

Gotta give #1 to Tyree though, obviously

HughC
01-23-2010, 07:52 PM
Lot of love for the Steelers there, with plays by Swann, Harrison and Holmes all in the top ten. I had completely forgotten about that goal line stand by the 49ers against the Bengals. At first I was thinking Timmy Smith should be in there somewhere, but that was more of a complete game than a single play.

It may not have been a 'best' play, but I would have thought they would have included Garo Yepremian's botched pass attempt. It's certainly one of the most famous plays in Super Bowl history.

steelerdude15
01-24-2010, 12:04 AM
I honestly don't believe Tyree's catch should be number one, IMO. I think that Holmes' catch was better because of the fulling:
1. The ball was thrown over three Cardinals.
2. Holmes had to have both feet down.
3. It was a game winning touchdown.
Yes, even though Tyree's catch was great, it wasn't a game winning touchdown, it was on the game winning drive. Everyone forgets that Eli had to scramble to get away which was great, but Tyree didn't have to have both feet in, he was in the middle of the field. Even though he was being pulled down and the ball nearly touched the ground, Holmes was being pushed out of bounds. I just believe that Holmes catch was better.

Milkman
01-24-2010, 06:21 AM
I honestly don't believe Tyree's catch should be number one, IMO. I think that Holmes' catch was better because of the fulling:
1. The ball was thrown over three Cardinals.
2. Holmes had to have both feet down.
3. It was a game winning touchdown.
Yes, even though Tyree's catch was great, it wasn't a game winning touchdown, it was on the game winning drive. Everyone forgets that Eli had to scramble to get away which was great, but Tyree didn't have to have both feet in, he was in the middle of the field. Even though he was being pulled down and the ball nearly touched the ground, Holmes was being pushed out of bounds. I just believe that Holmes catch was better.

Completely agree 100%

BigBen'sSwagger
01-24-2010, 08:28 AM
Many many props to David Tyree his catch was ahead of Swannie's but I can't agree it was better than Tone's.

One point that has not been mentioned is Santonio dropped a perfect pass in the other corner just one play before he made his legendary catch to seal the game.

The mere fact that it was a game winner puts ahead of all the others IMHO.

To bad Stallworth didn't get in there for some of his catches against the rams but that would once again be to many Steeler players in one section.

Galax Steeler
01-24-2010, 08:33 AM
Steelers had three in there and should of had four with Willie Parkers record setting run in Super Bowl 40.

Psyychoward86
01-24-2010, 01:32 PM
1) The ball was not thrown over 3 cardinals. One of them had a strong chance to make the play on the ball, maybe a 2nd cardinal. That 3rd guy back there couldnt have done anything to stop the throw

2) Eli Manning dodged exactly 3 near-sacks on 3rd down against the league's #1 3rd down defense, and #3 overall defense.

3) David Tyree, a no-namer, caught that ball on his helmet against arguably one of the better DB's of all time.

just my opinion. Maybe ive gotten used to seeing toe-tapping catches

steelerdude15
01-29-2010, 02:15 AM
Yeah and we see that Holmes is still a Steeler and Tyree was let go, just goes to show.

Newzfoxjr
01-29-2010, 03:04 AM
It's really hard to decide between Roethlisberger to Holmes and Manning to Tyree. Both were bananas. I don't think past or future events in a career can effect where plays stand in terms of greatness. It's a play. One play.

With that being said, having nothing to do with the fact that I'm a Steelers fan, I think the XVIII catch was better. Yes, Eli got away, and the throw was GOOD, but it was in the middle of the field, and come on. He held it against his helmet. Holmes deliberately, and precisely got his feet in bounds and maintained complete control of the ball. On top of that it was a GREAT throw by Ben.

But, that is just nitpicking, really. Both were amazing, legendary plays. Both gave me goosebumps, and both made me jump out of my seat. And that's why I love this game, because of moments like those.