PDA

View Full Version : Stopping Alexander

I.C. Lights
02-01-2006, 05:56 PM
I don't know much about the seahawks except for watching the beating they put on Carolina. Has any team stopped Alexander this year? If so, how'd they do it, and how will we?

Infamix
02-01-2006, 06:00 PM
Dallas held Alexander to 61 yards on 21 attempts, and they have a 3-4 defense. :busted:

syde18T
02-01-2006, 06:02 PM
I don't know much about the seahawks except for watching the beating they put on Carolina. Has any team stopped Alexander this year? If so, how'd they do it, and how will we?

When they hosted Dallas (a team that uses the 3-4 like the Steelers), they held Alexander to just 61 yards, but Seattle ended up winning on a Babineaux interception, and clutch 51 yard field goal by Josh Brown.

The first thing you need to worry about in containing Alexander is getting through that great offensive line, and Mack Strong. The key is to not let Alexander bounce back and cut to the outside, which is what he loves to do. If Alexander gets passed his blockers, then you can pretty much expect that he is going to break away. You have to stop him while he is still behind the blocking. Casey Hampton is going to play a big role for the Steelers defensive line in trying to stop Alexander....

stand undefeated
02-01-2006, 06:02 PM
Dallas held Alexander to 61 yards on 21 attempts, and they have a 3-4 defense. :busted:

I'm sure they are gonna be prepared but our 3-4.

I think alexander will have a quiet game, but semi productive... rushing for say 75-85 yds and a td possibly... we just need to fluster hasselbeck and create some turnovers.

Steve_Courson's_Liver
02-01-2006, 06:09 PM
Alaxander will be no factor... he amassed the majority of his yards against crap teams. He will have between 30-70 yards.

tony hipchest
02-01-2006, 06:36 PM
I don't know much about the seahawks except for watching the beating they put on Carolina. Has any team stopped Alexander this year? If so, how'd they do it, and how will we? a bad game for alexander this year has been being held to just 110 yds or so. however the last time the steelers faced him in 2003 he had 20 rushes for 48 yds. and like manning historically seems to do worse against established talented 3-4 defenses, the same seems to be true for alexander.

did you see that mark polamalus helmet left on e. james helmet? thats probably how they plan on stopping alexander. no wonder polamalu had a history of concussions at usc.

Suitanim
02-01-2006, 06:55 PM
I've heard a recurring theme from Detroit this week, and it's that Shaun Alexander gets his yards BEFORE first contact. He'll try to evade tacklers, not run them over.

marksashton
02-01-2006, 06:57 PM
I'm sure they are gonna be prepared but our 3-4.

I think alexander will have a quiet game, but semi productive... rushing for say 75-85 yds and a td possibly... we just need to fluster hasselbeck and create some turnovers.

If Alexander gets 85 yards, the Seahawks win the game. Mark my words. I'll even come back with my tail between my legs next week if I'm proven wrong. He doesn't need to have a huge game for Seattle's offense to score a lot of points.

SteelerFanInCA
02-01-2006, 07:02 PM
It will take more than Alexander getting 85 yards to win. He could get 85 yards but it will probably come in garbage time when the score no longer matters. Once we open up the passing game on you and build our lead, Alexander will be out of your formula.

tony hipchest
02-01-2006, 07:07 PM
I've heard a recurring theme from Detroit this week, and it's that Shaun Alexander gets his yards BEFORE first contact. He'll try to evade tacklers, not run them over. i dont know if john riggins just doesn like him but he has been questionning his toughness for 3 weeks, after he was to concussed to come back into the game against washington, yet was on camera hopping and jumping around, all laughing and smiling. he said back in his day they would be back out on the field. now i know we know more about cuncussions now a days and seattle could beat washington without shawn.

riggens went as far to suggest that shawn was ducking the spotlight in a big game and cracking under pressure, as he brought up all his past play off failures. said that shawns preformance in the champ game and sb if they got there could have a huge effect on his contract status.

could shawn have playing for millions of dollars on his mind?

jerome is playing for.......well, we all know the jerome bettis story now.

(anyone remember willie 'bout to break out" parker?)

marksashton
02-01-2006, 07:11 PM
It will take more than Alexander getting 85 yards to win. He could get 85 yards but it will probably come in garbage time when the score no longer matters. Once we open up the passing game on you and build our lead, Alexander will be out of your formula.

I wasn't precise enough I guess. If Alexander gets 85 productive yards, the Seahawks win. 85 yards from Alexander plus another 30 from Morris and out FB will open up the passing game enough for Hasselbeck to throw well. If "productive" yards is too vague, I'll still stick with my original prediction. Alexander gets 85 yards, Seahawks win. :)

Just my two cents.

Large_Ant
02-01-2006, 07:49 PM
Just to play devil's advocate, if Shaun's yards come in garbage time (i.e. we're still running the ball in garbage time), wouldn't that generally mean the Seahawks would be winning? Nobody runs the ball and winds the clock when they're losing. Food for thought.

:cool:

DIESELMAN
02-01-2006, 07:57 PM
against the Jags he rushed for 73 yds on 14 carries and 0 TD's the Jags won 26-14
against the Skins he rushed for 98 yds on 20 carries and 1 TD the Skins won 20-17
against the Cowboys he rushed for 61 yds on 21 carries and 0 TD's Seattle won 13-10
against the Eagles he rushed for 49 yds on 19 carries and 2 TD's Seattle won in a defensive blowout on Monday nite 42-0
against the Packers he rushed for 73 yds on 20 carries and 1 TD the Pack won 23-17(don't know if he played the whole game or not)
other then these stats hes been a monster in games against defensively inept teams like Atlanta in the second game of the season,Arizona(x2),SF(x2),StL(x2) and Houston...but on the other side of these stats is the Seattles O line which is a damn good group of players and Alexander IS a good RB he can find the holes his line creates and has pretty good speed to break into the secondary.But...and this arguement is always going to come up...Seattle has not faced a defense like the Steelers especially against the run...Hampton will play a big part in clogging up the middle and with the physical abilities of our LB's and Polamalu flying around everywhere Shaun will have nowhere to go and that folks will be the beginning of the end for the Seachickens.....:helmet:

Suitanim
02-01-2006, 08:10 PM
Just to play devil's advocate, if Shaun's yards come in garbage time (i.e. we're still running the ball in garbage time), wouldn't that generally mean the Seahawks would be winning? Nobody runs the ball and winds the clock when they're losing. Food for thought.

:cool:

What if it's a SD v SF type SB, and like 55-3 with 10 minutes left? I'd consider a Shaun Alexander TD against our back-ups a garbage time TD.

Brady12
02-01-2006, 09:12 PM
What if it's a SD v SF type SB, and like 55-3 with 10 minutes left? I'd consider a Shaun Alexander TD against our back-ups a garbage time TD.

If Pittsburgh scores 55 points, i'll give the site 200$

Suitanim
02-01-2006, 09:19 PM

LOL...I was speaking hypothetically.

I consider at least a couple of the TD's scored against the Steelers this post-season "garbage time" TD's, but, then again, I also think that we blew all 3 teams out, even the Colts. The final score of that game had it been reffed by competent officials was probably 28-10.

Hawk Believer
02-01-2006, 09:47 PM
i dont know if john riggins just doesn like him but he has been questionning his toughness for 3 weeks, after he was to concussed to come back into the game against washington, yet was on camera hopping and jumping around, all laughing and smiling. he said back in his day they would be back out on the field. now i know we know more about cuncussions now a days and seattle could beat washington without shawn.

riggens went as far to suggest that shawn was ducking the spotlight in a big game and cracking under pressure, as he brought up all his past play off failures. said that shawns preformance in the champ game and sb if they got there could have a huge effect on his contract status.

Thats a rep that has dogged Alexander in some circles for a few years now. Probably made worse by his limited production in the playoffs (until the the Carolina game.

In regards to the Skins's game, the team would not let him back in the game because of their assessment of him right after the injury. It wasn't his choice. And Holmgren has a pretty liberal policy for letting people play after a consussion. No nuerologist would have let Tatupu back in after the knock he took hitting Goings a week later, but Holmgren did.

Having worked with trauma patients for many years, I do know that people who have concussions may seem fine soon after but may be experience symptoms and effects that show up much later. To add another injury on top of it (which is more probable after the first hit) could cause permanent damage or worse...

So anyway, I think his Skins game critics like Riggins are just plain ignorant. Plus, I think the contract is more incentive for him to play hard. Even if he has won the MVP, if he hadn't ever done well in a playoff game it would have a signicant impact on is rep and therfore contract $.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-01-2006, 10:13 PM
Priority number 1 for the Steelers defense is always to stop the run..this sunday will be no different.. Stopping Alexander will be key, atleast to control and limit what he can do.

tony hipchest
02-01-2006, 10:30 PM
Thats a rep that has dogged Alexander in some circles for a few years now. Probably made worse by his limited production in the playoffs (until the the Carolina game.

In regards to the Skins's game, the team would not let him back in the game because of their assessment of him right after the injury. It wasn't his choice. And Holmgren has a pretty liberal policy for letting people play after a consussion. No nuerologist would have let Tatupu back in after the knock he took hitting Goings a week later, but Holmgren did.

Having worked with trauma patients for many years, I do know that people who have concussions may seem fine soon after but may be experience symptoms and effects that show up much later. To add another injury on top of it (which is more probable after the first hit) could cause permanent damage or worse...

So anyway, I think his Skins game critics like Riggins are just plain ignorant. Plus, I think the contract is more incentive for him to play hard. Even if he has won the MVP, if he hadn't ever done well in a playoff game it would have a signicant impact on is rep and therfore contract $.

ive always liked alexander. he gets that rep for the similar reasons joey harrington is called soft, (cause he plays the piano). its all in the perception. i think its pretty bogus, after all walter payton and polamalu are 2 of the softest spoken people you would ever hear, but would never guess it if you just watched them in the field of play. alexander has always seemed like a good dude to me and someone who plays the game hard, an i think he shouldve been the leading rusher last year too.

its only fitting that the steelers face the league mvp on the #1 seed team in the nfc to cap of what could go down as the greatest playoff run of all time.

is it wishful thinking? of course

is it likely? yes

wouldnt any fan be rooting for a dream season ending like this? most definitely

in regards to riggins, i didnt really buy into his take cause, like i said, we know alot more about [the potential long term damage of] concussions than was known 20 years ago. steelers have had several ex-players die here recently which directly or indirectly may have resulted from "punch drunk" syndrome.

augustashark
02-02-2006, 01:54 AM
Number 1 I think we need to shut down the cut back lanes.....We can not over persue!!! This will be key...If you watch film on him he is very good at breaking off run routes and cutting back...If we are over persuing then he will pick up some good yardage....We had this problem in the 1st Indy game...Loss...We did a much better job the 2nd time....Win!

I think also that if you put a big hit on him he will not run with the same power! If you ding him then I think he goes on tilt! I'm not sure if you should completly try to shut down the run rather I would try to contain him and make sure he does not break any 30-40yd runs.

seahawksfan
02-02-2006, 01:56 AM
Alaxander will be no factor... he amassed the majority of his yards against crap teams. He will have between 30-70 yards.

You're right, Alaxander will be no factor. But Alexander will and he'll scamper for more yards than the Steelers hhave given up all year.

augustashark
02-02-2006, 05:28 PM
You're right, Alaxander will be no factor. But Alexander will and he'll scamper for more yards than the Steelers hhave given up all year.

Why will he have more yards then anyone else we have faced? Please explain!

Large_Ant
02-02-2006, 05:39 PM
Well in the highly unlikely event that was the case, Alexander probably wouldn't even be in the game. Still makes no sense.

Large_Ant
02-02-2006, 05:45 PM
Why will he have more yards then anyone else we have faced? Please explain!
Not that I necessarily agree that it will be the case (although it could happen), one easy explanation would be that Seattle has the best offensive line you've faced all year. Stopping a good RB is only half the battle. To get to said RB, you have to be successful at beating the offensive line. Pitt has a great defense and Seattle has arguably the best offensive line in the league. IF the Seahawks are able to win that battle, there's no telling how many yards Shaun could get.

I would normally think that he would be fairly unsuccessful against that defensive front but then again the Panthers were one of the best run defenses in the league this year and he hit them for 132 yds and 2 TDs. Frankly, I don't care who gets how many yards. The important thing is that the offense stays balanced and is effective.

Large_Ant
02-02-2006, 05:51 PM
i dont know if john riggins just doesn like him but he has been questionning his toughness for 3 weeks, after he was to concussed to come back into the game against washington, yet was on camera hopping and jumping around, all laughing and smiling. he said back in his day they would be back out on the field. now i know we know more about cuncussions now a days and seattle could beat washington without shawn.

You guys seem pretty smart. Glance back through this post and ask yourself how many excuses there are in it. Riggins is just mad that his former team embarrassed their legacy in that game. If Shaun would play hard against the Panthers (a better defense) then why wouldn't he play hard against the Redskins?

Maybe it is exactly what it seemed. He got a concussion and the team deemed that they could win the game without risking not having him for the NFC CG. He's okay in the Conference Championship and has a great game. Naaah, that's always too easy. People reach and stretch for a much more likely answer like a guy who has run for 1880 yards is secretly too afraid to run in a high profile game despite the fact that he is considered an attention ***** who craves the spotlight for his own personal reasons.

Quit listening to the analysts. Next thing you know they'll be telling you that Joey Porter shot himself because he was afraid of Jamal Lewis. :blah:

Suitanim
02-02-2006, 06:33 PM
Not that I necessarily agree that it will be the case (although it could happen), one easy explanation would be that Seattle has the best offensive line you've faced all year.

I'm just wondering, will the REAL "best OL in the NFL" please stand up? Cincy? Indy? Denver? Seattle?

Large_Ant
02-02-2006, 06:46 PM
I'm just wondering, will the REAL "best OL in the NFL" please stand up? Cincy? Indy? Denver? Seattle?
Is there another offensive line in the league where three out of five of them are Pro Bowlers?

Suitanim
02-02-2006, 07:36 PM
Is there another offensive line in the league where three out of five of them are Pro Bowlers?

I believe we had 3 of 5 last year...didn't help much.

Got anything besides the popularity contest that is the Pro Bowl?

TheButt
02-02-2006, 09:51 PM
I think Shauna Alexandria gets a bad rap due to his femmine side... we all saw it.. !! Remember when he was on the sidelines with his wittle headache against the deadskins, they scored and he was hoppin an jumpin all up and down, and was clapping like a little girl... go look at it again... he looked like a little girl out there, I think he is gay. Uhuh. I do.

Large_Ant
02-02-2006, 09:51 PM

That's hilarious. So now offensive linemen are winning popularity contests? Yeah, Robbie Tobeck is a household name just like Michael Vick. Walter Jones and Steve Hutchinson (who have been selected as starters) jersey sales have been through the roof.

Your strawman "Pro Bowl/Popularity Contest" works for skill players, not so much for hogs. If it were based on popularity, shouldn't Orlando Pace be starting over Jones? What about Jones, Hutchinson, and Strong (FB) being selected as first team All Pros? Is that just a popularity contest too? C'mon dude. You can do better than that.

Large_Ant
02-02-2006, 09:53 PM
I think Shauna Alexandria gets a bad rap due to his femmine side... we all saw it.. !! Remember when he was on the sidelines with his wittle headache against the deadskins, they scored and he was hoppin an jumpin all up and down, and was clapping like a little girl... go look at it again... he looked like a little girl out there, I think he is gay. Uhuh. I do.
A guy named "TheButt" is calling people gay? :sofunny: Oh, the irony of it all.

So is calling somebody gay a substitute for a solid football relevant point? Just want to make sure I understand protocol around here.

hawks>*
02-02-2006, 10:07 PM

why hold back man? I mean alaxander has never played a real team in his life. how else could he put up 61% of jeromes total numbers and 5 more total td's in half as many years?
ooops. less than half.

hawks>*
02-02-2006, 10:10 PM

i dont care what team you are for, you are my favorite person on the internet just for the sleestack in your av.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-02-2006, 10:15 PM
why hold back man? I mean alaxander has never played a real team in his life. how else could he put up 61% of jeromes total numbers and 5 more total td's in half as many years?
ooops. less than half.

:blah: Alexander has been a good back for a long time.. but let us see if he can duplicate the numbers he's had this year or even come close, in the multiple years to come before you go mentioning his name in the same sentence like that with the Bus.

hawks>*
02-02-2006, 10:23 PM
:blah: Alexander has been a good back for a long time.. but let us see if he can duplicate the numbers he's had this year or even come close, in the multiple years to come before you go mentioning his name in the same sentence like that with the Bus.
wouldn't do it. at least for not another six or seven years, if alexander makes it that long.

just pointing out how dumb jo-schmo's-liver's post was. alexander has put up numbers, every year and will continue to do so no matter the SOS or who he plays for

what that means for sunday? your guess is as good as mine, I think it could go either way.

edit: you filthy post editor blitzurgh....too lazy to mess with mine, you get my point(yeah, the bus is the man)

BlitzburghRockCity
02-02-2006, 10:43 PM
Im just giving ya some shiat hawks.. you know we gotta do it since you're on a Steelers board :wink:

and most definately it can go either way, there is no clear cut, heads n shoulders favorite..we'll settle it on sunday and leave it all on the field.

SteelersNationsfl
02-03-2006, 12:26 AM

Will someone please hold him accountable...

Ok I remind him to pay everyday if pittsburgh scores 55 points... lol

Rotorhead
02-03-2006, 02:43 AM
What Suit was saying is that when we faced the Colts, they supposedly had "arguably the best Oline in the NFL" cause of how well they protected Manning. Then of course it was the Bronco's "arguably best line" because of their blocking schemes and their running back tendencies to cut back and how the chopblocking Broncos opened up the cutback lanes. Now this week it is Seattles Oline that is "arguably the best" in the NFL because they have 3 probowlers . . . You have a good line (dont get me wrong) but when the media hypes them up as "arguably the best line" to us Steelers fans, it is OLD news. We have supposedly played "the best Oline in the League" several times this year. The problem with your line is your center is not one of the best (the best is of course Denver's and Indy's and Cincy's, etc), so Hampton will require at least 2 blockers, the center and your probowl left guard. That leaves your "superman" tackle to block Porter and Kimo and Polamalu when he blitzes that side. Another problem you will have is you dont use the shotgun very much (if any), so when Hampton pushes you center back into your QB's 3 step drop, Hasselback will have to move left or right which will give time for our blitz to disrupt him.

Rust-Buster
02-03-2006, 04:02 AM
against the Jags he rushed for 73 yds on 14 carries and 0 TD's the Jags won 26-14
against the Skins he rushed for 98 yds on 20 carries and 1 TD the Skins won 20-17
against the Cowboys he rushed for 61 yds on 21 carries and 0 TD's Seattle won 13-10
against the Eagles he rushed for 49 yds on 19 carries and 2 TD's Seattle won in a defensive blowout on Monday nite 42-0
against the Packers he rushed for 73 yds on 20 carries and 1 TD the Pack won 23-17(don't know if he played the whole game or not)
other then these stats hes been a monster in games against defensively inept teams like Atlanta in the second game of the season,Arizona(x2),SF(x2),StL(x2) and Houston...but on the other side of these stats is the Seattles O line which is a damn good group of players and Alexander IS a good RB he can find the holes his line creates and has pretty good speed to break into the secondary.But...and this arguement is always going to come up...Seattle has not faced a defense like the Steelers especially against the run...Hampton will play a big part in clogging up the middle and with the physical abilities of our LB's and of the end for the Seachickens.....:helmet:

The first Skins game was before the Hawks got a rythmn going, the Cowboys game was the first win of their 11 game streak. The Eagles, was such a blowout, they pull him in the second half, the Packers game, he was pulled once he got the rushing title and TD record.
When he went down in the Washington Playoff game, he did looked really dazed for awhile, I donno, maybe he was thinking about the millions he'd lose on a contract if the Hawks lost the game, but he did have that hundred yard stare, and when he started dancing and hopping around later after the Hawks scored, he looked a bit touched in the head. Luckily, the O-line was there to provide the holes for Mo Morris and Mack Strong to produce enough of a running game to win, and Hasselbeck played nearly flawless. Alexander is not a hard hitting back, he feels out the defense with short runs until he finds a big hole and then explodes for a big gain. He had fumblitis last year, and that's why Holgrem did not put him in on a 1 yd TD run in the last game of the season, and that cost him the rushing title, and caused a little tiff from him. This year his ball control has been great. If the Steelers put up some big scores quick and early, then the Hawks will spend alot more time in the air, and Alexander will have limited duty I think. But if the Hawks get an early lead, they will rely on Alexander for ball control to keep the ball out of Big Bens hands as long as possible. I think who recieves on the kickoff will make a big difference in this game, as both offenses are very dangerous and can put up points quickly and force the onus on the other team.

DIESELMAN
02-03-2006, 04:38 AM
The first Skins game was before the Hawks got a rythmn going, the Cowboys game was the first win of their 11 game streak. The Eagles, was such a blowout, they pull him in the second half, the Packers game, he was pulled once he got the rushing title and TD record.
When he went down in the Washington Playoff game, he did looked really dazed for awhile, I donno, maybe he was thinking about the millions he'd lose on a contract if the Hawks lost the game, but he did have that hundred yard stare, and when he started dancing and hopping around later after the Hawks scored, he looked a bit touched in the head. Luckily, the O-line was there to provide the holes for Mo Morris and Mack Strong to produce enough of a running game to win, and Hasselbeck played nearly flawless. Alexander is not a hard hitting back, he feels out the defense with short runs until he finds a big hole and then explodes for a big gain. He had fumblitis last year, and that's why Holgrem did not put him in on a 1 yd TD run in the last game of the season, and that cost him the rushing title, and caused a little tiff from him. This year his ball control has been great. If the Steelers put up some big scores quick and early, then the Hawks will spend alot more time in the air, and Alexander will have limited duty I think. But if the Hawks get an early lead, they will rely on Alexander for ball control to keep the ball out of Big Bens hands as long as possible. I think who recieves on the kickoff will make a big difference in this game, as both offenses are very dangerous and can put up points quickly and force the onus on the other team.

Truthfully I take nothing away from the man,I had him on one of my FF teams(he was a monster for me) but thats fantasy.He is definitely a top 5 back every year,but this is the grand stage and there have been regular season superstars who fade when they are truly supposed to shine.We'll see come game day if he steps up or not.....definitely going to be a good game. :helmet:

Large_Ant
02-03-2006, 05:54 AM
What Suit was saying is that when we faced the Colts, they supposedly had "arguably the best Oline in the NFL" cause of how well they protected Manning. Then of course it was the Bronco's "arguably best line" because of their blocking schemes and their running back tendencies to cut back and how the chopblocking Broncos opened up the cutback lanes. Now this week it is Seattles Oline that is "arguably the best" in the NFL because they have 3 probowlers . . . You have a good line (dont get me wrong) but when the media hypes them up as "arguably the best line" to us Steelers fans, it is OLD news. We have supposedly played "the best Oline in the League" several times this year. The problem with your line is your center is not one of the best (the best is of course Denver's and Indy's and Cincy's, etc), so Hampton will require at least 2 blockers, the center and your probowl left guard. That leaves your "superman" tackle to block Porter and Kimo and Polamalu when he blitzes that side. Another problem you will have is you dont use the shotgun very much (if any), so when Hampton pushes you center back into your QB's 3 step drop, Hasselback will have to move left or right which will give time for our blitz to disrupt him.
Actually, our center is one of the three that is going to the Pro Bowl. He's handled guys as big as Hampton by himself all year. As far as the blitzing, Alexander is amazing at running the draw. He's been burning blitz happy defenses with it all year.

Like you, we've been hearing about these great defensive lines and linebackers all year long. You saw what we did to Julius Peppers, Brentson Buckner and Mike Rucker last week. This team has several options and they get rid of the ball quick. This year, the teams that have blitzed us hard have been the ones that fared the worst. Blitzing means your corners are on islands and with all due respect, none of the corners on the Steelers strikes fear into the hearts of men. We'll see how it goes but I like our chances.

Sounds like we've each heard each other's song before. We'll see how it plays out on Sunday.

BlacknGold Bleeder
02-03-2006, 08:07 AM
Actually, our center is one of the three that is going to the Pro Bowl. He's handled guys as big as Hampton by himself all year. As far as the blitzing, Alexander is amazing at running the draw. He's been burning blitz happy defenses with it all year.

Like you, we've been hearing about these great defensive lines and linebackers all year long. You saw what we did to Julius Peppers, Brentson Buckner and Mike Rucker last week. This team has several options and they get rid of the ball quick. This year, the teams that have blitzed us hard have been the ones that fared the worst. Blitzing means your corners are on islands and with all due respect, none of the corners on the Steelers strikes fear into the hearts of men. We'll see how it goes but I like our chances.

Sounds like we've each heard each other's song before. We'll see how it plays out on Sunday.

NO ONE CENTER can handle Hampton alone! One of the best plays to watch is when Hampton just flat out runs through the center, it happens at least once a game. As to comparing lines buckner is a STEELER cast off, we didn't think he was worth the money. peppers is just a high priced free agent, sort of like a hit man only good by himself. rucker can't carry smith's jock.More importantly our DEFENSE is not made up of individual stars,it is the sum of it's parts: PORTER+TROY+HAMPTON+FARRIOR+FOOTE+KIMO+the rest of the defense= THE BIG NASTY "D" !! It'll be a long day for Seattle!
:nw: :tt02: :helmet: :helmet: :tt:

Large_Ant
02-03-2006, 11:18 AM
NO ONE CENTER can handle Hampton alone! One of the best plays to watch is when Hampton just flat out runs through the center, it happens at least once a game. As to comparing lines buckner is a STEELER cast off, we didn't think he was worth the money. peppers is just a high priced free agent, sort of like a hit man only good by himself. rucker can't carry smith's jock.More importantly our DEFENSE is not made up of individual stars,it is the sum of it's parts: PORTER+TROY+HAMPTON+FARRIOR+FOOTE+KIMO+the rest of the defense= THE BIG NASTY "D" !! It'll be a long day for Seattle!
:nw: :tt02: :helmet: :helmet: :tt:
That's pretty funny. That's like us saying that Ken Lucas is a "cast off" because he wanted a higher salary than we had the cap room to pay him. Losing a guy to free agency because his price tag was too steep doesn't make him a "cast off".

Your post lost credibility when you tried to diminish how good Julius Peppers is. And comparing Smith and Rucker is moot because they line up on opposite sides. Comparing him to Kimo would make more sense.

Like I said, heard it all before. Every week it's a different poll or prediction about how many times (insert defensive stud here) will sack Hasselbeck and he always comes out on top. We'll just watch it play out on the field.

thumb 2 come
02-03-2006, 11:24 AM
That's pretty funny. That's like us saying that Ken Lucas is a "cast off" because he wanted a higher salary than we had the cap room to pay him. Losing a guy to free agency because his price tag was too steep doesn't make him a "cast off".

Your post lost credibility when you tried to diminish how good Julius Peppers is. And comparing Smith and Rucker is moot because they line up on opposite sides. Comparing him to Kimo would make more sense.

Like I said, heard it all before. Every week it's a different poll or prediction about how many times (insert defensive stud here) will sack Hasselbeck and he always comes out on top. We'll just watch it play out on the field.

See we heard evey week also how this offense and that offense will take advantage of our d and guess what we came out and shocked 3,1,2, so keep holding on to your we get no respect crap and we sure showed them. Cause we been ther and done that. Oh and it was all in everyone elses house

Large_Ant
02-03-2006, 11:50 AM
See we heard evey week also how this offense and that offense will take advantage of our d and guess what we came out and shocked 3,1,2, so keep holding on to your we get no respect crap and we sure showed them. Cause we been ther and done that. Oh and it was all in everyone elses house
Hmm... Not sure where I played the "no respect card." If you try reading more than just the last post, you'll see that I said BOTH teams have heard it all before. Congratulations on your past successes in the playoffs. Not sure how that proves that you're the better team.

Maybe (like I've said in at least two posts now) we'll have to see what plays out on the field. Seems like Steeler fans are taking a page from Joey Porter's book. Just sit back and listen to benign comments until you find the slightest little something that you can turn into a fight.

:rolleyes:

SteelCityPride
02-03-2006, 12:10 PM

Brother, you're in the NFC!!!!!!!

syde18T
02-03-2006, 12:31 PM

Yeah, we saw what your offense did to a banged up Julius Peppers who didn't practice. We saw what your defense did to a one dimensional Carolina offense that was DeShaun Fosterless.

The teams that have blitzed you hard? And who would that be? One of your pathetic division rivals? Or one of the twelve .500 and below record teams you played this regular season? You played ONE team this year that uses a 3-4 defense like the Steelers use, and that was Dallas. A defense that held Alexander to 61 yards, and a defense that your offense only scored 13 points on. AT YOUR OWN HOME.

SteelCityPride
02-03-2006, 12:37 PM
I'm not saying you're in the NFC meaning that you're terrible, all I mean is that look at some of the Offensive Lines in the AFC, Broncos, Chiefs, Indy... I mean cmon sure, you got three guys goin to the probowl, but when you have as many teams with good olines in your conference as the AFC does, then getting 3 guys to the probowl on your o line would be outstanding. I mean look at the way Denver runs with any running back they put in ther,e same with KC... Those two teams in my mind are vying for the top lines in the NFL, then Ind and the way they keep peyton protected. I just think saying that three of your players going to the pro bowl is alright but, don't use that as an arguement in this situation...

Large_Ant
02-03-2006, 02:19 PM
I'm not saying you're in the NFC meaning that you're terrible, all I mean is that look at some of the Offensive Lines in the AFC, Broncos, Chiefs, Indy... I mean cmon sure, you got three guys goin to the probowl, but when you have as many teams with good olines in your conference as the AFC does, then getting 3 guys to the probowl on your o line would be outstanding. I mean look at the way Denver runs with any running back they put in ther,e same with KC... Those two teams in my mind are vying for the top lines in the NFL, then Ind and the way they keep peyton protected. I just think saying that three of your players going to the pro bowl is alright but, don't use that as an arguement in this situation...
Not for nothing SCP but that's a weak argument that I would expect from someone like Skip Bayless. So our offensive line isn't as good as the lines in the AFC just because they're in the wrong conference? So I guess if Hines Ward were on an NFC team, he'd suck too. Makes no sense.

Getting three guys from the same line to the Pro Bowl is outstanding no matter what conference you're in. Guys like you try to over simplify the NFL as if in the right situations, playing in the NFL is ever "easy". Besides, if you don't think that Walter Jones and Steve Hutchinson would be going to the Pro Bowl in any conference, you're missing some really good football.

SteelCityPride
02-03-2006, 02:26 PM
Not for nothing SCP but that's a weak argument that I would expect from someone like Skip Bayless. So our offensive line isn't as good as the lines in the AFC just because they're in the wrong conference? So I guess if Hines Ward were on an NFC team, he'd suck too. Makes no sense.

Getting three guys from the same line to the Pro Bowl is outstanding no matter what conference you're in. Guys like you try to over simplify the NFL as if in the right situations, playing in the NFL is ever "easy". Besides, if you don't think that Walter Jones and Steve Hutchinson would be going to the Pro Bowl in any conference, you're missing some really good football.

Are you for real? Brother I would never over simplify football. I played all through college and began coaching directly there after and to this day am defensive coordinator at the high school level. All that I'm saying is that you got three guys there, that is great, however, there aren't the number of great lines in the NFC as ther eis in the AFC. I am not saying that your guys aren't good football players so don't even go there. I agree that you have a very good offensive line. But honestly, three guys going to the pro bowl from your line... OK... what do you want me to do now? Tell Kimo, Hamp and Smith to just give up cuz they ain't got a chance. Man, don't bring that stuff to me like that. I have been giving your team props, I think you have a great football team, I am sick of some of these guys making outlandish comments and backing it up with very little.

Angus3
02-03-2006, 02:27 PM

How about all the yards he's put up over the past 4 or 5 years, have those also been "crap" teams?
Other then knocking him out of a game, not many have figured out how to stop him, what makes you think the Steeler's can?
Sorry, not going to be Pittsburgh's year!

thumb 2 come
02-03-2006, 02:30 PM
How about all the yards he's put up over the past 4 or 5 years, have those also been "crap" teams?
Other then knocking him out of a game, not many have figured out how to stop him, what makes you think the Steeler's can?
Sorry, not going to be Pittsburgh's year!

Maybe the fact only one person has run over 100 on us this year. :busted:

Large_Ant
02-03-2006, 02:30 PM
Yeah, we saw what your offense did to a banged up Julius Peppers who didn't practice. We saw what your defense did to a one dimensional Carolina offense that was DeShaun Fosterless.

The teams that have blitzed you hard? And who would that be? One of your pathetic division rivals? Or one of the twelve .500 and below record teams you played this regular season? You played ONE team this year that uses a 3-4 defense like the Steelers use, and that was Dallas. A defense that held Alexander to 61 yards, and a defense that your offense only scored 13 points on. AT YOUR OWN HOME.
Uh oh. Sounds like somebody is priming up excuses for Monday. Let me guess - Kreider and Polamalu weren't at 100% and your team will have been tired from having to play the #1,2, and 3 seeds on the road. You say all that "Julius Peppers was banged up" and "DeShaun Foster didn't play" stuff like it matters. Tell me, did you say before the game "The Seahawks might win because the Panthers are beat up"? Naaaaaah. You were probably one of the ones saying "No way in hell the Seahawks can shut down Steve Smith if the mighty Bears defense couldn't do it." And are you really kidding yourself into believing that DeShaun Foster would have made a difference when the Seahawks shut down a much better back in Clinton Portis the week before (41 yards on 17 carries)? You're killin' me.

And dude, you need to stop listening to the news reports because they're feeding you bad information. As pathetic as they are, both the 49ers and the Texans run the 3-4. The Cowboys were the only "good" 3-4 we faced, not the only one period. But I really hope you think the Steelers can hold the Seahawks to 13 points. It helps that we're not counting on guys like D.J. Hackett and Jehreme Urban to be our star receivers for this game. For Pittsburgh to win this game, they need to be very successful with the blitz. Cuz if they're not, Pittsburgh's secondary (outside of Polamalu who will likely be blitzing) has nothing on the Carolina secondary that they torched last week.

Should be fun to see how it all plays out on Sunday.

thumb 2 come
02-03-2006, 02:33 PM
The Cowboys were the only "good" 3-4 we faced, not the only one period. But I really hope you think the Steelers can hold the Seahawks to 13 points.

Uh yah cause are d is far superior to the dallas d. And don't underestimate our secondary you will be suprised

Large_Ant
02-03-2006, 02:34 PM
Are you for real? Brother I would never over simplify football. I played all through college and began coaching directly there after and to this day am defensive coordinator at the high school level. All that I'm saying is that you got three guys there, that is great, however, there aren't the number of great lines in the NFC as ther eis in the AFC. I am not saying that your guys aren't good football players so don't even go there. I agree that you have a very good offensive line. But honestly, three guys going to the pro bowl from your line... OK... what do you want me to do now? Tell Kimo, Hamp and Smith to just give up cuz they ain't got a chance. Man, don't bring that stuff to me like that. I have been giving your team props, I think you have a great football team, I am sick of some of these guys making outlandish comments and backing it up with very little.
Not sure what got your chonies in a bunch here. What should you do? Tell Kimo, Hamp and Smith to give up? Umm... no. But you've fallen victim to "not reading all the posts" syndrome. My comments were in response to someone talking about how the line was goiong to be dominated. If you actually take time to read the entire thread, you'll see that I haven't made a single inflammatory comment so I'm not sure why you're gettin' so upset.

The most consistent thing I've said in this thread is "We'll see how it all plays out on the field". But you just keep on finding things to get upset about...

SteelCityPride
02-03-2006, 02:34 PM
Uh oh. Sounds like somebody is priming up excuses for Monday. Let me guess - Kreider and Polamalu weren't at 100% and your team will have been tired from having to play the #1,2, and 3 seeds on the road. You say all that "Julius Peppers was banged up" and "DeShaun Foster didn't play" stuff like it matters. Tell me, did you say before the game "The Seahawks might win because the Panthers are beat up"? Naaaaaah. You were probably one of the ones saying "No way in hell the Seahawks can shut down Steve Smith if the mighty Bears defense couldn't do it." And are you really kidding yourself into believing that DeShaun Foster would have made a difference when the Seahawks shut down a much better back in Clinton Portis the week before (41 yards on 17 carries)? You're killin' me.

And dude, you need to stop listening to the news reports because they're feeding you bad information. As pathetic as they are, both the 49ers and the Texans run the 3-4. The Cowboys were the only "good" 3-4 we faced, not the only one period. But I really hope you think the Steelers can hold the Seahawks to 13 points. It helps that we're not counting on guys like D.J. Hackett and Jehreme Urban to be our star receivers for this game. For Pittsburgh to win this game, they need to be very successful with the blitz. Cuz if they're not, Pittsburgh's secondary (outside of Polamalu who will likely be blitzing) has nothing on the Carolina secondary that they torched last week.

Should be fun to see how it all plays out on Sunday.

There's another spot where ppl are mistaken... another area where people don't realize the steelers have gotten better this yr. I mean sure we had great defenses, but don't attribute any of our success to the success of Ike Taylor stuffing Chad Johnson twice this yr, Marvin Harisson once and any other number one receiver.

Large_Ant
02-03-2006, 02:35 PM
Maybe the fact only one person has run over 100 on us this year. :busted:
What a coincidence... (us too and it took him five quarters).

SteelCityPride
02-03-2006, 02:37 PM
Not sure what got your chonies in a bunch here. What should you do? Tell Kimo, Hamp and Smith to give up? Umm... no. But you've fallen victim to "not reading all the posts" syndrome. My comments were in response to someone talking about how the line was goiong to be dominated. If you actually take time to read the entire thread, you'll see that I haven't made a single inflammatory comment so I'm not sure why you're gettin' so upset.

The most consistent thing I've said in this thread is "We'll see how it all plays out on the field". But you just keep on finding things to get upset about...

When you are going to question me on football and talkin like I don't know the game, then I am gonna get upset, there's your answer.

Large_Ant
02-03-2006, 02:39 PM
There's another spot where ppl are mistaken... another area where people don't realize the steelers have gotten better this yr. I mean sure we had great defenses, but don't attribute any of our success to the success of Ike Taylor stuffing Chad Johnson twice this yr, Marvin Harisson once and any other number one receiver.
Actually, I stand by that statement. Let's be honest. Taylor is good but if Palmer has time to throw, he can't carry Chad Johnson's jock. And are you really trying to imply he's a shutdown corner good enough to handle Harrison? C'mon.

The part of the story you're not telling is that Manning was running for his life all day. Your front seven manhandled the Colts and that's how your secondary succeeded. They're solid, but you're trying to overstate it with the Johnson and Harrison references. Again, the Steelers must be successful with the blitz to win.

Large_Ant
02-03-2006, 02:41 PM
When you are going to question me on football and talkin like I don't know the game, then I am gonna get upset, there's your answer.
Then you're way too sensitive. There are five million posters who spout nothing but crap and I'm supposed to know your credentials (giving you the benefit of the doubt) upfront? You're not being realistic. So that we're clear, I'm enjoying talking to you and have no intention of disrespecting you. But you need to be more realistic with your expectations.

thumb 2 come
02-03-2006, 02:42 PM
Actually, I stand by that statement. Let's be honest. Taylor is good but if Palmer has time to throw, he can't carry Chad Johnson's jock. And are you really trying to imply he's a shutdown corner good enough to handle Harrison? C'mon.

The part of the story you're not telling is that Manning was running for his life all day. Your front seven manhandled the Colts and that's how your secondary succeeded. They're solid, but you're trying to overstate it with the Johnson and Harrison references. Again, the Steelers must be successful with the blitz to win.

Yes but Joe and the boys are not harrison and Johnson
not even on the same plain

Large_Ant
02-03-2006, 02:45 PM
Yes but Joe and the boys are not harrison and Johnson
not even on the same plain
True enough. But I don't think they need to be to win.

We'll see...

SteelCityPride
02-03-2006, 02:45 PM
Then you're way too sensitive. There are five million posters who spout nothing but crap and I'm supposed to know your credentials (giving you the benefit of the doubt) upfront? You're not being realistic. So that we're clear, I'm enjoying talking to you and have no intention of disrespecting you. But you need to be more realistic with your expectations.

I am very reallistic with my expectations. How many times must I say how much I respect the game of the hawks. My expectations are that we win, as your expectations are that you win. I don't think my expectations are that far fetched as I laid out my idea of what our game plan would look like, I think it was pretty conservative. But anyways, I am not gettin into that again.

thumb 2 come
02-03-2006, 02:46 PM
True enough. But I don't think they need to be to win.

We'll see...

That we will

smashmouth
02-03-2006, 02:50 PM
The 3 big down guys on D will keep Alexander in check so the backers can can put hasselback on his back. Watch the linemen dropping on middle flat coverage and rushed from Ike or Troy. I do not want to be the Hawks in this one.

GoHawks!
02-03-2006, 03:32 PM
Stopping Alexander will be really tough for the Steelers.
He Slides through the secondary, and he evades tacklers with ease. That's why you cant put a big hit on him.

Another thing is our Red zone efficiency. We score 72% of the time when in the red zone, #1 in the NFL. Alexander is good as money inside the 20, just ask 75K Fantasy sports fans. Put that in your pipe and smoke it

24-23 Seattle!

Large_Ant
02-03-2006, 03:40 PM
I am very reallistic with my expectations. How many times must I say how much I respect the game of the hawks. My expectations are that we win, as your expectations are that you win. I don't think my expectations are that far fetched as I laid out my idea of what our game plan would look like, I think it was pretty conservative. But anyways, I am not gettin into that again.
I meant your expectations of me knowing your football knowledge, not your expectations of the game.

SteelCityPride
02-03-2006, 04:03 PM
I meant your expectations of me knowing your football knowledge, not your expectations of the game.

Oh sorry, gotcha... Anyways, with all that aside, the game should be a very good game, good luck to your hawks

Suitanim
02-03-2006, 05:41 PM
That's hilarious. So now offensive linemen are winning popularity contests? Yeah, Robbie Tobeck is a household name just like Michael Vick. Walter Jones and Steve Hutchinson (who have been selected as starters) jersey sales have been through the roof.

Your strawman "Pro Bowl/Popularity Contest" works for skill players, not so much for hogs. If it were based on popularity, shouldn't Orlando Pace be starting over Jones? What about Jones, Hutchinson, and Strong (FB) being selected as first team All Pros? Is that just a popularity contest too? C'mon dude. You can do better than that.

Alright...I wonder how many of your lineman would be in the pro bowl (Your measure of excellence, not mine) if the defensive competition Seattle faced was more Ravens/Bears/Pats/Colts/Chargers and less 49ers/Cards/Rams?

If you play inferior teams all year, your stats will artificially inflate...not all teams have the luxury of playing the weakest schedule in the NFL.

Hawk Believer
02-03-2006, 06:09 PM
Alright...I wonder how many of your lineman would be in the pro bowl (Your measure of excellence, not mine) if the defensive competition Seattle faced was more Ravens/Bears/Pats/Colts/Chargers and less 49ers/Cards/Rams?

If you play inferior teams all year, your stats will artificially inflate...not all teams have the luxury of playing the weakest schedule in the NFL.
This has all gotten to be very circular.

Hawks fans say they feel their team will win. The Steelers fans ask the Hawk people to provide evidence as to why they think their team is going to win. Some of us give some reasons based on this seasons' performance. Steelers fans say the reasons are invalid because the Hawks played in the NFC. Repeat and rinse.

The game is only about 48 hours away. I can't freakin wait.

Suitanim
02-03-2006, 06:27 PM
This has all gotten to be very circular.

Hawks fans say they feel their team will win. The Steelers fans ask the Hawk people to provide evidence as to why they think their team is going to win. Some of us give some reasons based on this seasons' performance. Steelers fans say the reasons are invalid because the Hawks played in the NFC. Repeat and rinse.

The game is only about 48 hours away. I can't freakin wait.

He asked, I answered. By the way, get used to this...because your team had success this year, and players made the Pro Bowl, your FA's will be overvalued next year. Agents just LOVE PB appearances come contract negotiating time...

Hawk Believer
02-03-2006, 06:34 PM
He asked, I answered. By the way, get used to this...because your team had success this year, and players made the Pro Bowl, your FA's will be overvalued next year. Agents just LOVE PB appearances come contract negotiating time...
I wasn't diggin at you Suit. I should not have quoted your comment in my post. I am just commenting on the overall trend I see. I think the debate has reached a critical mass where nobody is going to provide any tidbit that is too convincing anymore until the game. Not that what we say here means anything. But you got to have some outlet when your team is about to play in the FREAKING SUPER BOWL! Thanks to all for letting us Seattleites hang out here the last week or two.

Suitanim
02-03-2006, 07:12 PM
To expound on my earlier thought, at least your team is playing in the Super Bowl...we've had a ton of overvalued FA's over the last 14 years and only reached the big game once. It makes defections after successful seasons at least a little more bearable if you play in the big game.

Large_Ant
02-03-2006, 07:16 PM
To expound on my earlier thought, at least your team is playing in the Super Bowl...we've had a ton of overvalued FA's over the last 14 years and only reached the big game once. It makes defections after successful seasons at least a little more bearable if you play in the big game.
Our biggest two free agents (Shaun Alexander and Steve Hutchinson) already had astronomical values. We were gonna be paying one way or another.

Large_Ant
02-03-2006, 07:19 PM

Your point is moot. Despite being poor teams, some of the weak teams you've named have some very good defensive linemen and linebackers (Bryant Young, Julian Peterson, Leonard Little, Bertrand Berry, etc...). If our linemen weren't good, they would have gotten beaten this year. See my point on the previous page about oversimplifying things. If you're not a good linemen, you can't mask it by playing weak competition.

If you don't know that Walter Jones is the best offensive lineman in the league, ask somebody.

Suitanim
02-03-2006, 07:31 PM
If you don't know that Walter Jones is the best offensive lineman in the league, ask somebody.

When does one=three?

When you are talking to a Seattle Seahawks fan desperately trying to defend his team having one deserving OL in the (largely meaningless) pro bowl and two more who dont quite fit. Well, maybe Hutchinson...Tobeck isn't even worth mentioning.

Large_Ant
02-03-2006, 10:30 PM
When does one=three?

When you are talking to a Seattle Seahawks fan desperately trying to defend his team having one deserving OL in the (largely meaningless) pro bowl and two more who dont quite fit. Well, maybe Hutchinson...Tobeck isn't even worth mentioning.
"Well maybe Hutcinson"? You just proved your lack of football knowledge right there. That would be like me saying "maybe Polamalu is one of the best safeties in the game". No need to defend my team. They're in the Super Bowl. That speaks for itself. :rolleyes:

MagicHawk
02-03-2006, 10:50 PM
It has already been said by people with more football knowledge than myself that the consensus is that both Hutchinson and Jones are the best at their positions today. Tobek is definitely somebody to worry about given the center runs the line and you have to admit that we have a least a top 5 line (I think it is the #1 line but that is neither here or there). I expect that Alexander will have to work for his yards given the 3-4 you guys run but the real deal is that Hasselbeck has already proven he can carry a whole team without an appreciable run game. So it is really a pick your poison type of thing much like us with Rothliesburger (sp?).

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
02-03-2006, 11:55 PM
Porter needs to step up and shut Alexabder down on that left side running game

marksashton
02-04-2006, 02:07 AM
When they hosted Dallas (a team that uses the 3-4 like the Steelers), they held Alexander to just 61 yards, but Seattle ended up winning on a Babineaux interception, and clutch 51 yard field goal by Josh Brown.

The first thing you need to worry about in containing Alexander is getting through that great offensive line, and Mack Strong. The key is to not let Alexander bounce back and cut to the outside, which is what he loves to do. If Alexander gets passed his blockers, then you can pretty much expect that he is going to break away. You have to stop him while he is still behind the blocking. Casey Hampton is going to play a big role for the Steelers defensive line in trying to stop Alexander....

Sorry so late to the discussion but I thought I'd add that when Seattle played Dallas it was just after they lost the #1 and #2 receivers to injury. As a result, the passing game struggled which of course put more pressure on the running game. Shortly after the Dallas game they adapted and started to throw more to JoeJ and Stevens (the HATED ONE) and, more recently, Jackson and Engram are back.

So, I wouldn't put too much faith in the theory that Seattle's offense can't move the ball against the 3-4. If I were a betting man - and I am - I'd bet on Seattle moving the ball pretty well on the ground. If Alexander gets 85+ yards, Seattle wins. :)

BigAL
02-04-2006, 02:34 AM
Ya know, if the Steelers really want to shut down the Hawks running game, it's no secret or surprise that they could. Really. Throw 7 or 8 guys at the line and I bet you could hold the league MVP running back to under 50 yds. I could only hope that they do that, every down. So does Matt and Co. It's what makes the Seattle O such a great one. Then you could watch as Hasselbeck puts on a show.

This is a great thread, btw -- lots of informative posts, good stats and comparitives, but too many Pittsburgh Homers.... :blah:

See you on Sunday !!!!

Rotorhead
02-04-2006, 03:03 AM
Uh . . . too many Pitts Homers? Correct me if I am wrong, but this is a Pittsburgh forum isnt it? The more I am reading about these teams and the matchups, the more confident I am getting about the Steelers chances. It comes down to this; our Offense is for sure better than Seattles Def. Our Def is AT LEAST Seattle's Off equal. I think we will win this game handily, 34-13. It will be over by halftime at 21-6

Large_Ant
02-04-2006, 03:11 AM
Uh . . . too many Pitts Homers? Correct me if I am wrong, but this is a Pittsburgh forum isnt it? The more I am reading about these teams and the matchups, the more confident I am getting about the Steelers chances. It comes down to this; our Offense is for sure better than Seattles Def. Our Def is AT LEAST Seattle's Off equal. I think we will win this game handily, 34-13. It will be over by halftime at 21-6
That's funny, that's the same thing Redskins and Panthers fans said. :blah:

MagicHawk
02-04-2006, 03:29 AM
Uh . . . too many Pitts Homers? Correct me if I am wrong, but this is a Pittsburgh forum isnt it? The more I am reading about these teams and the matchups, the more confident I am getting about the Steelers chances. It comes down to this; our Offense is for sure better than Seattles Def. Our Def is AT LEAST Seattle's Off equal. I think we will win this game handily, 34-13. It will be over by halftime at 21-6Heh, as has been already posted this is exactly what has been said before...see you Sunday honey!:cool:

Even with that it has been amusing reading through this thread.:whistle:

Rotorhead
02-04-2006, 09:00 AM
Yeah yeah, and we have played the "best Oline" 2 times already, and the smartest QB, and the best scrambling QB in the league as well as the best running backs and the fastest linebackers with our inept offense that can only run cause our QB is only in his second year . . . I certainly hope all you hawks fans show back up here to eat your crow and concede that your team is not near the caliber of ours :)

Suitanim
02-04-2006, 10:26 AM
"Well maybe Hutcinson"? You just proved your lack of football knowledge right there. That would be like me saying "maybe Polamalu is one of the best safeties in the game". No need to defend my team. They're in the Super Bowl. That speaks for itself. :rolleyes:

Nah, he's a good LG, but I'm a little spoiled watching the best in the business play every week at that position...

As for Tobeck, he'll be spending most of this game in the backfield without an awful lot of help. Let's look at a bread and butter play of the Squaks. The "93" run to the left. Alexander lines up behind Strong and hits the 3 whole...well, if Jones blocks the DE, and Hutchinson blocks a LB, Hampton will blow up the play every time. Hutchinson will have to help Tobeck with Hampton, Strong blocks one of the 2 left side linebackers, and Alexander runs right into the other one.

Don't ever question my football knowledge again, squaker...

BlitzburghRockCity
02-04-2006, 10:31 AM
Ya know, if the Steelers really want to shut down the Hawks running game, it's no secret or surprise that they could. Really. Throw 7 or 8 guys at the line and I bet you could hold the league MVP running back to under 50 yds. I could only hope that they do that, every down. So does Matt and Co. It's what makes the Seattle O such a great one. Then you could watch as Hasselbeck puts on a show.

This is a great thread, btw -- lots of informative posts, good stats and comparitives, but too many Pittsburgh Homers.... :blah:

See you on Sunday !!!!

That's what makes both teams great, both teams can throw the ball and run the ball..so if commit an extra man in the box, both teams can pass to beat it.. and vice versa..

but the difference here is, is that our offense is used to running again 8 and 9 man fronts so you can stack as many guys as you want and we're still gonna run it with success. I dont think Holmgren will make much of a living on sunday trying to run against OUR defense..i really dont... but if he wants to try and Im sure he will becuz he's a good coach, we'll be ready.

Large_Ant
02-04-2006, 03:42 PM
Nah, he's a good LG, but I'm a little spoiled watching the best in the business play every week at that position...

As for Tobeck, he'll be spending most of this game in the backfield without an awful lot of help. Let's look at a bread and butter play of the Squaks. The "93" run to the left. Alexander lines up behind Strong and hits the 3 whole...well, if Jones blocks the DE, and Hutchinson blocks a LB, Hampton will blow up the play every time. Hutchinson will have to help Tobeck with Hampton, Strong blocks one of the 2 left side linebackers, and Alexander runs right into the other one.

Don't ever question my football knowledge again, squaker...
There's no knowledge there to question. Over the past few years, better defenses have tried to stop that very play... and failed miserably. That would include the Steelers the year before last. Shaun ran that exact play into the end zone... right by Casey Hampton.

You act like this exact same offensive line and defensive line have never met or something. These are the same exact lines that played two years ago with the same defensive coordinator that Mike Holmgren has been beating since Super Bowl XXIII. And we won't even get into Cowhers record versuses Holmgren as a head coach...

Large_Ant
02-04-2006, 03:47 PM
That's what makes both teams great, both teams can throw the ball and run the ball..so if commit an extra man in the box, both teams can pass to beat it.. and vice versa..

but the difference here is, is that our offense is used to running again 8 and 9 man fronts so you can stack as many guys as you want and we're still gonna run it with success. I dont think Holmgren will make much of a living on sunday trying to run against OUR defense..i really dont... but if he wants to try and Im sure he will becuz he's a good coach, we'll be ready.
Success? Bettis and Parker combined for 74 yards last week. That's not running with success.

Suitanim
02-04-2006, 06:24 PM
There's no knowledge there to question. Over the past few years, better defenses have tried to stop that very play... and failed miserably. That would include the Steelers the year before last. Shaun ran that exact play into the end zone... right by Casey Hampton.

You act like this exact same offensive line and defensive line have never met or something. These are the same exact lines that played two years ago with the same defensive coordinator that Mike Holmgren has been beating since Super Bowl XXIII. And we won't even get into Cowhers record versuses Holmgren as a head coach...

Oh boy...REAL ignorance always rears it's ugly head after a few posts, doesn't it? First off, Tim Lewis was the Steelers DC in 2003. Strike One.

Another difference between the 6-10 Steelers of 2003 and the 29-7 Steelers since (Besides LeBeau, which was a huge whiff on your part) lies with what changed BEHIND the front 3. Strike two.

As for Alexander's performance, he rushed for 48 on 20 carries against a far inferior D unit then he'll be facing tomorrow night. Strike Three, and you're outta here!

MagicHawk
02-04-2006, 06:43 PM
Yeah yeah, and we have played the "best Oline" 2 times already, and the smartest QB, and the best scrambling QB in the league as well as the best running backs and the fastest linebackers with our inept offense that can only run cause our QB is only in his second year . . . I certainly hope all you hawks fans show back up here to eat your crow and concede that your team is not near the caliber of ours :)
I can't speak for others but I will be back win or lose either to eat crow or give you guys a little friendly jab..

Suitanim
02-04-2006, 07:03 PM
I will be back eat crow

We'll see...

MagicHawk
02-04-2006, 07:14 PM
We'll see...
I have you guys bookmarked so I will be here just maybe not on monday (RL concerns). Love your avi btw.:thmbup:

Suitanim
02-04-2006, 07:22 PM
I have you guys bookmarked so I will be here just maybe not on monday (RL concerns). Love your avi btw.:thmbup:

My beef isn't with you...but if you come back Monday or even Sunday Night, good for you.

Sleestaks live large!

Large_Ant
02-04-2006, 11:03 PM
Oh boy...REAL ignorance always rears it's ugly head after a few posts, doesn't it? First off, Tim Lewis was the Steelers DC in 2003. Strike One.

Another difference between the 6-10 Steelers of 2003 and the 29-7 Steelers since (Besides LeBeau, which was a huge whiff on your part) lies with what changed BEHIND the front 3. Strike two.

As for Alexander's performance, he rushed for 48 on 20 carries against a far inferior D unit then he'll be facing tomorrow night. Strike Three, and you're outta here!
Hey, that was good work. Way to selectively pick past the fact that you were wrong on your Casey Hampton example. You're a piece of work. See you Monday.

Large_Ant
02-05-2006, 10:15 PM
Hoping I'm the first Seahawks fan back. My mouth is saying "Congratulations Steelers fans." But I'm smiling.

The one thing I've figured out is that Joey Porter was right two weeks ago today. Never been prouder of the Seahawks and all I hope is that they say the right things for the cameras.

Steel Fury
02-05-2006, 11:20 PM
Alexander=95 yds.

Still Steelers win. He was a nonfactor. Seattle's real strength is #8 He is the one that I was concerned about all week. Glad to see Bettis go out on top. hhmmm Now where does Alexander play next year? My money is not for Seattle.

Suitanim
02-06-2006, 08:18 AM
Hey, that was good work. Way to selectively pick past the fact that you were wrong on your Casey Hampton example. You're a piece of work. See you Monday.

That's it? You had the DC wrong, the performance wrong, we held you to 10, and desperately grabbing at straws you claim that Casey WASN'T double teamed all game?

Someone needs to buy a copy of "Football for Dummies" before next season.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-06-2006, 09:03 AM
Alexander, limited when it counts.. Non factor.. Mission Accomplished!