PDA

View Full Version : Steelers final report card

zulater
01-24-2010, 07:09 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10024/1030670-66.stm

Steelers Final Report Card 2010
GERRY DULAC grades the Steelers' overall effort in their 9-7, playoff-less season:
Sunday, January 24, 2010
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Quarterback A-
Ben Roethlisberger set a team record with 4,328 yards passing and was intercepted only 12 times. But some of those picks were as costly as unnecessary. Three times in the red zone he was intercepted in the end zone on first down. He is responsible for some of his 50 sacks, but his ability to make plays on the move and rally his team in the fourth quarter is unequalled. His value is immeasurable.

Running Backs B-
The emergence of Rashard Mendenhall as a 1,000-yard rusher was probably more than anyone expected, especially after he was benched in Week 3. He averaged 4.6 ypc and showed he can be a breakway threat. Willie Parker's contributions were limited to a good first half vs. Cincinnati in Week 3 and a good fourth-quarter in Miami in Week 16. But give him credit for not whining about his limited role.

Wide receivers B+
It was the first time in franchise history the team had three receivers with 70 catches -- Hines Ward (95), Santonio Holmes (79) and TE Heath Miller (76). And rookie Mike Wallace was the most pleasant surprise of the year, showing he can run past any secondary coverage and make big plays. Holmes got off to a slow start, but he has emerged as one of the top game-changing receivers in the league.

Offensive line D
It's hard to see improvement in a line that allowed Roethlisberger to be sacked 50 times, but there was. Problem is, there wasn't enough. In the end, it cost line coach Larry Zierlein his job. The running game averaged 7 more yards per game than last season, but, after a quick start, there were too many failed short-yardage conversions.

Defensive Line C-
There is no question the defense missed DE Aaron Smith, especially late in the season when age and depth conspired to weaken the run defense. NT Casey Hampton stayed healthy and showed he can still be a dominant force with another Pro Bowl season. But the team has to do a better job of developing young talent and rebuilding the depth on the line.

Linebackers B-
James Harrison made his third Pro Bowl, but he went long stretches without making a big play. Lawrence Timmons did not have the impact expected, but two ankle injuries probably had something to do with that. And two big fourth-down conversions on James Farrior in Cincinnati and Baltimore really hurt. LaMarr Woodley showed he can be one of the most dominant pass-rushers in the league.

Defensive Backs F
It would be easy to excuse some of the big pass plays and lack of takeaways (12 INTs) on the loss of S Troy Polamalu, who missed 11 games. But the combination of the two was a big factor in the midseason collapse. CB William Gay lost confidence, and then his starting job. Ike Taylor was solid, but someone on the corner has to make plays. Nobody was affected more by Polamalu's absence than S Ryan Clark.

Special Teams D
Stefan Logan set a franchise record with 1,466 kick-return yards. His 26.7-yard average was the Steelers' best since 2001. Jeff Reed showed again he is one of the most dependable kickers in the league. But the kick coverage went from No 1 in the league in 2008 to one of the worst. There can be no excuse for four kick returns for TDs in a five-game span, which is why Bob Ligashesky lost his job.

Coaching C+
Winning the final three games showed that Mike Tomlin did not and will not lose control of the team. However, some of his bold decisions were factors in losses. The failure of the defense to correct recurring problems cost them in losses to the Chiefs, Ravens and Raiders. And, after a fast start, the offense failed too many times in the red zone, especially against the Bengals.

Gerry Dulac can be reached at gdulac@post-gazette.com.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10024/1030670-66.stm#ixzz0dXE2iITg

Galax Steeler
01-24-2010, 07:26 AM
To many D's and F's that is what coasted us this year and is why we are sitting at home and watching the playoffs.

Merchant
01-24-2010, 01:53 PM
Yup... hard to believe it's the JETS of all teams playing in the AFC championship game and not us.

zulater
01-24-2010, 02:09 PM
Yup... hard to believe it's the JETS of all teams playing in the AFC championship game and not us.

Actually once you take away Troy and Aaron the Jets are a better team than the Steelers.

Obviously we're better at qb and wr's. But otherwise they're a far better team across the board. OL, rb's, special teams, and defense all go to them, all by a significant margin.

LamarrWoodleysFade
01-24-2010, 02:16 PM
A significant margin? Lol no.

I'll give you the O-Line and special teams, but that's where it ends. Don't let this Playoff hype fool you...

zulater
01-24-2010, 02:20 PM
A significant margin? Lol no.

I'll give you the O-Line and special teams, but that's where it ends. Don't let this Playoff hype fool you...

RB's,DB's? DL? ILB?

:noidea:

LamarrWoodleysFade
01-24-2010, 02:39 PM
RB's,DB's? DL? ILB?

:noidea:

I glanced over your Troy and Aaron statement, that's my fault. So with that, you're right.

You have to excuse me, though, I'm a bit aggy when it comes to the Jets. I have friends who are Jets fans and a month ago you couldn't get them to claim the damn team, now they're the best thing to happen to football. Not to mention Rex Ryan gave up on them, now this clown is already making parade plans.

As much as I hate the pansy ass Colts, I hope they slaughter the Jets...

HometownGal
01-24-2010, 03:24 PM
Actually once you take away Troy and Aaron the Jets are a better team than the Steelers.

Obviously we're better at qb and wr's. But otherwise they're a far better team across the board. OL, rb's, special teams, and defense all go to them, all by a significant margin.

Can't say I disagree here Zu. Especially on D. The Jets D plays hard for 60 minutes just about every game and are really a force to be reckoned with.

zulater
01-24-2010, 03:29 PM
Can't say I disagree here Zu. Especially on D. The Jets D plays hard for 60 minutes just about every game and are really a force to be reckoned with.

God what i wouldn't give for that offensive line of theirs. ( do you have an envy emotcon?)

Could you imagine Mendy and Ben behind that bunch? And I'd wager Arians' would get a lot smarter too. :wink02:

Texasteel
01-24-2010, 03:37 PM
I still think a team is built from the lines back. I hope everyone gets a lot smarter this year.

Merchant
01-24-2010, 10:14 PM

Uhh... HELL NO.. lol. Their "number 1" defense just allowed 461 yards to the colts.. Our offense is significantly better than theirs, and I'll still take our troy and smith less defense over theirs any day. Special teams they can have.

You guys do remember we won the superbowl last year, right? This is as good a team as any in the league. This season isn't even over yet and I already can't wait for 2010 when we come back stronger, hungrier, angrier.

:tt03:

plenewken
01-25-2010, 07:21 AM
Ben's A- is a joke. Nobody in this team deserves an A this season, not even Ben.
I have no problem with the other grades.

Galax Steeler
01-25-2010, 08:10 AM
Ben's A- is a joke. Nobody in this team deserves an A this season, not even Ben.
I have no problem with the other grades.

Why would you not give him an A? what does he have to do 6,000 yard season 40 touchdowns no picks.:noidea:

plenewken
01-25-2010, 09:39 AM
Why would you not give him an A? what does he have to do 6,000 yard season 40 touchdowns no picks.:noidea:

50 sacks and mediocre red zone efficiency isn't worth an A in my book. Anyway, it's my opinion, you can have a different one.

Galax Steeler
01-25-2010, 09:40 AM
50 sacks and mediocre red zone efficiency isn't worth an A in my book. Anyway, it's my opinion, you can have a different one.

Was he to blame for the whole 50 sacks no but like you said everyone has an opinion.

plenewken
01-25-2010, 09:58 AM
Was he to blame for the whole 50 sacks no but like you said everyone has an opinion.

I know it's his style of play but sacks are killing an offensive drive. It's loss of yardage + loss of down. 15 sacks could been avoided by throwing the ball away, the others are on the OL, not on him.
I'd have given him a B which is still good.

revefsreleets
01-25-2010, 10:15 AM
I'm only giving out a team grade.
C+

A+= 19-0
A- =Losing in the Super Bowl
B = Losing in the AFCCG
B-=Losing in the divisional round

And so on and so forth all the way down to 0-16=F

We had a winning record, but failed to make the playoffs....so we get a C+.

Galax Steeler
01-25-2010, 10:16 AM
I know it's his style of play but sacks are killing an offensive drive. It's loss of yardage + loss of down. 15 sacks could been avoided by throwing the ball away, the others are on the OL, not on him.
I'd have given him a B which is still good.

What about all the other times he didn't throw the ball away or avoided a sack to make a great play down field. He broke several would be sacks throughout the year and came up with a great play. I am not saying he deserved the A- he got but he did have a great year. I can done see we are going to have agree to disagree.:drink:

ricardisimo
01-26-2010, 01:04 AM
Ike Taylor was solid, but someone on the corner has to make plays.

Ike was solid? Did he mean to say "stolid"?

revefsreleets
01-26-2010, 10:38 AM

I think he had a good year, too, mostly in light of the fact that he was lacking safety help and had to cover for all of Gay's inadequacies.

zulater
01-26-2010, 10:53 AM

He had an up and down season. I thought he was having a solid year up until the second Bengals game. But he really had a terrible slump afterwards. He was consistently being beat, taking interference calls, dropping interceptions. Just really looked completely out of sorts. I think there was more to it than just losing Troy. Maybe he was nursing a leg injury that was slowing him down?

Regardless I anticpate a rebound season from Ike.Or at least i hope he does, because I don't think the Steelers can really have great success without it.

ricardisimo
01-26-2010, 03:23 PM
I'm not sure it's a one-way equation, where Ike sucked because of Gay's deficiencies. I think they both stank it up because they both stank it up. The numbers I saw strongly suggested that opposing QBs had absolutely no fear of Ike. If I'm not mistaken, no starting corner in the league was thrown at more than he was, which makes sense when you consider that he absolutely, positively won't be intercepting any passes... well, Miami's 4th-string quarterback proved me wrong there, I guess.

Add in this year's troubles with tackling and penalties, and I'm really not sure that he was the weakest link at corner. At a bare minimum, Gay has the youth and inexperience card to play at least once, and I say give it to him this year. Ike has no such excuse.

In sum, there was nothing "solid" about Taylor's season under any circumstances. Let's hope he does rebound, because he has certainly done fine work in the past. My fear is that QBs and OCs have figured him out to some extent.

revefsreleets
01-26-2010, 04:34 PM
Ike had to play a TON of zone. It's the quick, lazy excuse to blame him for the secondary break-downs, when, in fact, the whole reason for GOING to a zone was to spread responsibility over several DB's and NOT leave one or two overmatched and overwhelmed backs (i.e. Carter, and especially Gay) completely exposed.

Provided Troy and Clark are both back at 100%, and we shore up the other CB position, Ike will be better than fine next year...and the proof will be in the pudding, so no need to even pontificate further....

zulater
01-26-2010, 05:12 PM
Ike had to play a TON of zone. It's the quick, lazy excuse to blame him for the secondary break-downs, when, in fact, the whole reason for GOING to a zone was to spread responsibility over several DB's and NOT leave one or two overmatched and overwhelmed backs (i.e. Carter, and especially Gay) completely exposed.

Provided Troy and Clark are both back at 100%, and we shore up the other CB position, Ike will be better than fine next year...and the proof will be in the pudding, so no need to even pontificate further....

I know Ike played more zone than usual this year, and that his strength has always been man to man. But I still can recall multiple instances this year where he got beat like a drum in man to man coverage. Often times taking a interference call when he wasn't getting beat for the catch.

I don't know there was any one reason that Ike's play was below standard this year, it was probably any number of things?:noidea:

. But I do know that he was indeed part of the problem this past season. That said
I expect Ike to be back to his best self next year too. Just like he rebounded strongly from his sub par 2006 season in 2007, I expect the same in 2010.

Kanata-Steeler
01-26-2010, 05:31 PM
"F", for ______________.