PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Senior Bowl Thread

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-24-2010, 07:55 AM
Might as well get it started.....the players are starting to show up.

Players Arrive for 2010 Under Armour Senior Bowl
Mobile, AL. (Jan. 23)

More than half of the 2010 Under Armour Senior Bowl roster arrived in Mobile today, a day earlier than required. The top senior college football players in the country are in town for a week’s worth of practice leading up to the nation’s premier pre-draft event—the Under Armour Senior Bowl on January 30th in Ladd-Peebles Stadium.

Among those to arrive in Mobile today was former Florida great Tim Tebow. The Heisman Trophy winner was joined by his Florida teammate Riley Cooper and a host of other SEC standouts like Ole Miss’ Dexter McCluster, Kentucky’s Trevard Lindley and Auburn’s Ben Tate.

Players are required to be in Mobile by 6 pm (CT) on Sunday evening. They will undergo physicals, receive their equipment and meet with their respective coaching staffs. Both the Detroit Lions’ and Miami Dolphins’ staffs are also expected to arrive in Mobile Sunday.

Senior Bowl practices will begin on Monday with the South squad working out in Fairhope’s Municipal Stadium and the North squad practicing at Ladd-Peebles Stadium. All practices are free and open to the public.

The 61st game is sold out and will kickoff at 3pm (CT). NFL Network will televise the game an all practices during the week.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-24-2010, 08:18 AM
Here is the roster.

http://www.seniorbowl.com/rosters.asp

Who are you wanting to see?

Personally I am looking forward to seeing Safeties Nate Allen & Kyle McCarthy...RB Joique Bell....NT Dan Williams & NT Terrance Cody...virtually ALL of the O-linemen but I want to see more of OG MIke Johnson from Alabama to see if he can move to Tackle .... I want to see OT Trent Williams from Oklahoma, to see if he is worth a 1st round pick.

Aussie_steeler
01-24-2010, 02:52 PM
Myron Rolle really intrigues me. I want to see how well he adjusts to the demands of practice after being out of the game for a long period.

Who knows the real value of his stock at the moment?

Taylor Mays is in a similar position. This may well be the first time he really is tested for true FS skills. I dont think he has ever really been tested at USC. Again his stock to be real or really drop. Could he be this years William Moore ( Safety Missouri)??

jonslow
01-24-2010, 11:58 PM
I just arrived in Mobile about an hour ago to cover the events of the week. We'll be blogging and I'll post updates here on the forum.

http://www.sidelinescouting.net

Anything in particular you guys want me to watch for this week? Myself and a couple fellow contributors got credentials for practices, interviews, the game, etc. Hit me up if you have any questions about guys you may be interested in.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-25-2010, 04:11 AM
I just arrived in Mobile about an hour ago to cover the events of the week. We'll be blogging and I'll post updates here on the forum.

http://www.sidelinescouting.net

Anything in particular you guys want me to watch for this week? Myself and a couple fellow contributors got credentials for practices, interviews, the game, etc. Hit me up if you have any questions about guys you may be interested in.

Jonslow-

Very cool...as a draft geek I think I can talk for the majority of fans that are interested in how this week affects the players draft stock. Here are a couple things that I am very interested in that are specific to the Steelers.

1) For teams with 3-4 defenses and who are potentially looking for a true NT, Give us a breakdown....a comparison/contrast between Terrance Cody and Dan Williams.

2) With Clark's status still up in the air...give us an idea about the safety class at the senior bowl this year.

3) Give us a good idea of the OT's at the senior bowl this year. Who looks like a possible fit? For instance....Is Charles Brown too light for us and more suited for a zone blocking scheme? Does Vladimir Ducasse look like an OT or OG in the NFl?

Players that I am personally interested in hearing more about:

Safety Nate Allen, South Florida
Safety Myron Rolle, Florida State
Safety Harry Coleman, LSU
RB Joique Bell, Wayne State
OT Trent Williams, Oklahoma
OT Vladimir Ducasse, Massachusetts
OG Mike Johnson, Alabama
LB Eric Norwood, South Carolina
ILB Jamar Chaney, Mississippi State
CB Kyle McCarthy, Notre Dame
CB Jerome Murphy, South Florida
CB Patrick Robinson, Florida State
NT Terrance Cody, Alabama
NT Dan Williams, Tennessee

Thanks brother!!!

MasterOfPuppets
01-25-2010, 04:30 AM
Iupati, Mike
Peek, Colin
Chaney, Jamar

Texasteel
01-25-2010, 04:43 AM
Here is the roster.

http://www.seniorbowl.com/rosters.asp

Who are you wanting to see?

Personally I am looking forward to seeing Safeties Nate Allen & Kyle McCarthy...RB Joique Bell....NT Dan Williams & NT Terrance Cody...virtually ALL of the O-linemen but I want to see more of OG MIke Johnson from Alabama to see if he can move to Tackle .... I want to see OT Trent Williams from Oklahoma, to see if he is worth a 1st round pick.

I'm starting to see more and more mocks that have us taking Trent Williams. Just one of several I want to keep track of.

MasterOfPuppets
01-25-2010, 04:56 AM
i sure would like to know how they determine who gets invited to this game . i mean i thought the ideal was to get the best of the best in this game and the shrine game sifts through the leftovers and fields the best roster they can. while this game certainly has the premier players, i'm kinda scratchin my head at some of the roster choices that appear to be late rd picks ( 4th or lower), but yet some in the shrine game could and most likely will be top 3 choices....:noidea:
they should have left a few spots open in this game to make room for some of the guys that shined in the shrine game, like troupe, calloway, and barnes.

darnik44
01-25-2010, 05:42 AM
NFL Network Senior Bowl Coverage Schedule (http://www.nfldraftspot.com/component/content/article/3-newsflash/422-nfl-network-senior-bowl-coverage.html)

SteelerNation12
01-25-2010, 06:18 AM
i sure would like to know how they determine who gets invited to this game . i mean i thought the ideal was to get the best of the best in this game and the shrine game sifts through the leftovers and fields the best roster they can. while this game certainly has the premier players, i'm kinda scratchin my head at some of the roster choices that appear to be late rd picks ( 4th or lower), but yet some in the shrine game could and most likely will be top 3 choices....:noidea:
they should have left a few spots open in this game to make room for some of the guys that shined in the shrine game, like troupe, calloway, and barnes.
Well considering players have the choice to accept or decline it. I'm guessing they go to all the top guys and some just reject it. Not sure most do, its chance to really improve your stock and prove you can make it in the NFL.

MasterOfPuppets
01-25-2010, 07:16 AM
Well considering players have the choice to accept or decline it. I'm guessing they go to all the top guys and some just reject it. Not sure most do, its chance to really improve your stock and prove you can make it in the NFL.

well i mean guys like george selvie and jeff owens probably have zero chance of going in the top 3 rds, but guys like torrell troupe and kyle calloway probably do ...:noidea:

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-25-2010, 10:52 AM
OG Mike Johnson, Alabama

I'd like to add:

DE Alex Carrington
NT Cam Thomas
CB Brandon Ghee
TE Mike Hoomanawanui
LB O'Brian Schofield (Lits of mixed messages on this guy)

CrimsonTideSteelersFan
01-25-2010, 03:25 PM
I'm heading down the the game on Saturday. Locally, this is probably the most anticipated Senior Bowl in history with Tebow and six Crimson Tide players on the roster. I hope the Steelers can grab someone like Cody or a stud DB in the first round.

CrimsonTideSteelersFan
01-25-2010, 03:52 PM
A player to watch closely this week is Brandon Lang a hybrid DE/OLB from Troy University (same school that produced superstars DeMarcus Ware and Osi Umenyiora). I wouldn't mind seeing the Steelers take a hard look at this guy.

jonslow
01-25-2010, 05:06 PM
Jonslow-

Very cool...as a draft geek I think I can talk for the majority of fans that are interested in how this week affects the players draft stock. Here are a couple things that I am very interested in that are specific to the Steelers.

1) For teams with 3-4 defenses and who are potentially looking for a true NT, Give us a breakdown....a comparison/contrast between Terrance Cody and Dan Williams.

2) With Clark's status still up in the air...give us an idea about the safety class at the senior bowl this year.

3) Give us a good idea of the OT's at the senior bowl this year. Who looks like a possible fit? For instance....Is Charles Brown too light for us and more suited for a zone blocking scheme? Does Vladimir Ducasse look like an OT or OG in the NFl?

Players that I am personally interested in hearing more about:

OG Mike Johnson, Alabama

Thanks brother!!!

The full breakdown of weigh-ins is posted at sidelinescouting.net. The weigh-in session was really helpful in getting a look at some of these guys. Feel free to take a gander at that. Players went on stage one at a time and were measured in spandex shorts for both height and weight as well as hand size and arm length...

Terrence Cody weighed in at 370 lbs. and looked even bigger, but it wasn't a good big. At 6'4" and 370 lbs. of what appeared to be a lot of non-muscle mass, I was really unimpressed. I went to the North team's practice today which took place at the same time as the South (but at another stadium) so I have not seen him practice yet. I'll see him tomorrow afternoon and give you guys a breakdown. Right now, I see him falling into the second and not being in NFL shape. Dan Williams on the other hand...

Williams weighed in at 6'2 1/4" and 329 lbs. For a NT, he looked to be in really good shape, especially in the lower half. His lower body is so big that I am convinced he will be able to move interior linemen with ease. I was raving about him after weigh-ins and hopefully I'll still be doing so by the end of the week. As it stands, he'd be a great fit for the Steelers.

As far as safeties go, this is one of the deepest safety classes in recent years. After Eric Berry (who is obviously #1 far and away), there are at least a half dozen guys that could go in the top 3 rounds. Taylor Mays weighed in at 6'3" 231 lbs. and it he looked solid. Again, he's also on the North squad, but from what I'm hearing, his stock will depend on how good he looks in coverage before the draft. He's not a natural coverage safety. He's an athlete, but he's big, physical and fast, so we'll see what happens with him.

A safety that really caught my attention today was Myron Rolle at 6' 1 1/2", 217 lbs. I was sitting amongst scouts from a lot of NFL teams and I heard a lot of "oohs" when he stepped on the scale. This guy was all muscle, but he hasn't played a down in a year because he was at Oxoford as a road scholar... intriguing. I'll definitely keeping you guys updated on him.

A lot of the highly-touted OTs are not at the Senior Bowl, and Trent Williams skipped showing up, which may hurt his stock and allow him to drop to the Steelers. Ducasses actually looked really slow at practice during footwork drills. To me, he's looking like a right-side-of-the-line player who has the bulk to maybe be a good RT. I'll keep a close eye on OTs this week, but one lineman I love is Mike Iupati.

Iupati came in at 6'5 1/4", 325 lbs with 35" arms and huge hands (10 3/8"). I've heard some people on the forums calling him too bulky or too slow, but I can tell you with all certainty that Iupati is solid. He's not hauling extra fat on him. He looked really muscular from top to bottom during weigh-ins and during footwork drills at the North practice today, Iupati was the best lineman amongst them. He has quick feet, a big frame and a powerful punch. I'd kill to see the Steelers draft him at #18 and play him at either guard or RT.

I'll do my best to keep you guys updated and answer as many of your questions as possible. For blog entries, musings and analysis of practices and interviews, cruise on over the sidelinescouting.net between updates on the forums. Hopefully I answered some of your questions.

-Justin

Aussie_steeler
01-25-2010, 06:39 PM
Love the work Jonslow. It is awesome to have someone to converse directly with at the senior bowl.

The steelers traditional love smart players. Given our need for safeties I would say Myron Rolle is real intriguing.

Do you know who the steeler scouts are that are at the Senior Bowl? If you do I would be interested to see who that are showing more than a little interest in.

Football Operations
Kevin Colbert, Director of Football Operations
Doug Whaley, Pro Personnel Coordinator
Ron Hughes, College Scouting Coordinator
Joe Greene, Special Assistant
Mark Gorscak, College Scout
Phil Kreidler, Pro/College Scout
Kelvin Fisher, College Scout
Bruce McNorton, College Scout
Dan Rooney, College Scout
Dave Petett , Blesto Scout
Bill Nunn, College Personnel
Rob McCartney, Player Personnel Intern
www. steelers.com

jonslow
01-25-2010, 08:24 PM
Do you know who the steeler scouts are that are at the Senior Bowl? If you do I would be interested to see who that are showing more than a little interest in.

One of my colleagues saw Dan Rooney taking notes at the practice today. I didn't catch who was sitting with him. Throughout the week I really hope to introduce myself to some of the guys as nothing more than a Steelers fan. I'd love to meet Mike Tomlin, but I doubt he'll be down here.

jonslow
01-25-2010, 08:34 PM
I'd like to add:

DE Alex Carrington
NT Cam Thomas
CB Brandon Ghee
TE Mike Hoomanawanui
LB O'Brian Schofield (Lits of mixed messages on this guy)

I forgot to mention earlier that Schofield was injured today during practice and was helped off the field. From the talk I was hearing, it was a knee injury, but the extent was unknown to us at the end of practice. We'll try to pry about that throughout the week.

jonslow
01-25-2010, 09:01 PM
I forgot to mention earlier that Schofield was injured today during practice and was helped off the field. From the talk I was hearing, it was a knee injury, but the extent was unknown to us at the end of practice. We'll try to pry about that throughout the week.

Verdict is in. Milwaukee Sentinal-Journal just reported the injury today to Schofield was a torn ACL. He's apparently out of the picture now.

SH-Rock
01-25-2010, 09:25 PM
Keep an eye out for Taylor Mays; could become a Steeler

MasterOfPuppets
01-25-2010, 10:43 PM
- Kyle Wilson, the CB from Boise State was the biggest standout of the day. During the CB vs. WR drill, Wilson undercut an out route for an interception on his first rep and was an offensive pass interference away from another on a nine route. Wilson was a premier punt returner in college, which means he is dangerous after an interception.

- Mays made the hit of the day on Citadel WR Andre Roberts, but missed an easy interception a few plays later when going for another hit. This highlights Mayock's stated concern of lack of interceptions (five over his career).

- Terrance Cody, in an homage to former teammate Andre Smith, showed up grossly overweight. NFLN pointed out that he had difficulties even setting up in his stance before the snap.

- Dan Williams had a good day stuffing the run, at least as good as possible without full pads. He didn't do well in pass rushing drills, however, which is a drill designed to favor the defensive player. I'm not particularly concerned if the DT Rick Smith drafts is an elite pass rusher as long as he can stuff the middle, so this development might actually be beneficial.

- Myron Rolle is a popular story because of his year hiatus from football as a Rhodes Scholar at Oxford, but unfortunately that break has caused some rust. He has plenty of time before the Combine and his Pro Day, but even then he is considered more of a strong safety who lacks coverage skills. Probably not a consideration for the Texans.

- Wide receiver might not be high on the list of priorities, but it's worth noting that Ohio University's Taylor Price look fantastic. He may not have elite speed and he played at a smaller school, but it looked like he had superglue on his hands.

- Offensive Guard Vladimir Ducasse will be under the microscope this week. Ducasse moved to the States from Haiti when he was 14 and has only played football for six years, but he has enough raw talent that Mayock compared him to Jeff Otah. On his first pass rush drill the quicker O'Brien Schofield blew by him on the edge as Ducasse was playing LT. Before the analysts could even finish stating that Ducasse never saw speed like that at UMass, Ducasse went against Schofield again, anchored down and unfortunately injured Schofield when he fell on him. I mention all this because he is rated as a guard and could be a steal after the first couple of rounds.
http://www.battleredblog.com/2010/1/25/1269960/2010-senior-bowl-practice-report

MasterOfPuppets
01-25-2010, 10:48 PM
No-shows weaken Senior Bowl field ... Its an annual kabukie dance as players who origianlly committed to the Senor Bowl back out at the last minute, some because of injury, others purportedly at the behest of the agents who fear the exposure will hurt their client's gade. Players who did not report for whatever reason this year include Oklahoma OT Trent Williams, Texas Christian DE Jerry Hughes, RB Montario Hardesty USC OT Charles Brown, and LSU WR Brandon LaFell. Meanwhile, LSU RB Charles Scott did participate in the weigh-in although he has not been cleared to practice because of a shoulder injury.

Knee sidelines Badger DE ... The great fear of all players at any all-star game is injury and that threat became a reality for Wisconsin DE O'Brien Schofield who reportedly tore an ACL at this afternoon's inital Senior Bowl practice. Schofield was battling huge UMass OT Vlad Ducasse in a one-on-one pass rush drill when he stepped awkwardly with the full weight of the 325-pound offenive lineman leaning on him. Schofield will undergo surgery in the next few days and his availability to play at all next season is very much in question.
http://www.gbnreport.com/

jonslow
01-25-2010, 11:21 PM
I don't understand some of the last two posts... I commented on a lot of that already. Mayok basically solidified my points and I posted the Schofield news a while ago.

tony hipchest
01-25-2010, 11:29 PM
i know the steelers dont need another lamarr woodley, but naturally brandon graham is being touted as the "next" woodley by scouts.

tim and pat on sirius (who pimped woodley pretty hard before his draft) look to be giving this kid the same consideration. he gives a great interview. he is at 263, and says he has no problem to bulk up to 275 and be a DE in the 4-3. but it is pretty obvious that an olb in the 3-4 is where he wants to be.

in 30+ college starts he has almost 90 stops behind the line of scrimmage = about 3 per game.

he can read and diagnose plays.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't understand some of the last two posts... I commented on a lot of that already. Mayok basically solidified my points and I posted the Schofield news a while ago.

maybe MOP was just lending credence and legitimacy to what you are personally observing. :noidea:

anyways, thanks for the firsthand insight. it is definitely appreciated. :cheers:

jonslow
01-25-2010, 11:42 PM
i know the steelers dont need another lamarr woodley, but naturally brandon graham is being touted as the "next" woodley by scouts.

tim and pat on sirius (who pimped woodley pretty hard before his draft) look to be giving this kid the same consideration. he gives a great interview. he is at 263, and says he has no problem to bulk up to 275 and be a DE in the 4-3. but it is pretty obvious that an olb in the 3-4 is where he wants to be.

in 30+ college starts he has almost 90 stops behind the line of scrimmage = about 3 per game.

he can read and diagnose plays.

maybe MOP was just lending credence and legitimacy to what you are personally observing. :noidea:

anyways, thanks for the firsthand insight. it is definitely appreciated. :cheers:

I'll keep it coming all week. And I wasn't complaining about the added insight. Just confused about the context. Glad to see you guys are keeping up on the action. It makes it easier for draft guys to get out there an report what we see. :thumbsup:

MasterOfPuppets
01-25-2010, 11:49 PM
well i certainly don't see anything wrong with having different perspectives. :noidea:

jonslow
01-25-2010, 11:54 PM
well i certainly don't see anything wrong with having different perspectives. :noidea:

Absolutely not. Always welcome. My apologies if it came off otherwise. :wave:

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-26-2010, 03:39 AM
I'll keep it coming all week.

Greatly appreciated.

Totally enjoying the first person perspective.:thumbsup:

Texasteel
01-26-2010, 04:52 AM
Sure am interested in seeing if Iupate would be able to play the OT position. He seems to have everything it takes. Wonder which position he will be working out at.

CrimsonTideSteelersFan
01-26-2010, 09:05 AM
I'll pose a question that I haven't heard anyone attempt to explain yet. Why is Terrence Cody all of a sudden out of shape and "overweight"? He just played his most recent game a couple of weeks ago. What's the deal?

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-26-2010, 09:29 AM
I'll pose a question that I haven't heard anyone attempt to explain yet. Why is Terrence Cody all of a sudden out of shape and "overweight"? He just played his most recent game a couple of weeks ago. What's the deal?

There has been word that Cody battled his weight all year, being listed at 354 at the begining of the year. I think the Scouts were just amazed about how large he looked without pads at the weigh in...and the fact that he was actually 370 lbs...almost 20 lbs heavier than what they considered a VERY heavy 354.

This game is going to be huge for him. If he can show the scouts that he can play effectively at his weight , and not get winded....he may be able to stay in the first round.

atlsteelers
01-26-2010, 11:15 AM
there was a story about terrence's mother going to the drive thru at krispy kremes and when she pulled up to the window the KK's employee noticed terrence cody in the passenger seat and refused to sell her the donuts because saban told them not sell him any donuts.

jonslow
01-26-2010, 11:40 AM
Sure am interested in seeing if Iupate would be able to play the OT position. He seems to have everything it takes. Wonder which position he will be working out at.

Iupati's been working out at left guard. From what I've been seeing, Iupati is the best lineman on the North team. His footwork has been incredible and he just mauls at the point of attack. He has the lateral footwork to slide well on pass rushers and I'm convinced he's good enough at pass blocking to play either tackle position.

To answer the other question, Cody weighs the same as the weight we listed on the site weeks ago. He's been a good 370 for a while. What makes it an issue is the shape he's in. He looks really flabby. Picture Andre Smith last year times three. I haven't seen him practice yet. South's practice is at 1:45 (central time) so I'll take a good look at him then. Unless he wows at practice, though, I worry that his body composition will really hurt his stock.

That being said, I just got back from the North practice and a few guys looked really good. Iupati still amazes me, Kyle Wilson (Boise corner) has looked phenominal. His coverage skills are terrific and has shown great footwork, speed and recovery abilities. He's a guy the Steelers might be looking at.

OH YEAH... AND... Mike Tomlin walked past me today at practice. I don't know if he was there to see anyone in particular, but I sure hope it was Iupati or Wilson. This is the second day a big-wig in the organization has been at the North practice. Cam Thomas (NT, North Carolina) is also practicing with the North, but he's been a non-enitinty for the most part.

More updates to come soon. Check out www.sidelinescouting.net for full blog coverage of the practices.

CrimsonTideSteelersFan
01-26-2010, 11:54 AM
there was a story about terrence's mother going to the drive thru at krispy kremes and when she pulled up to the window the KK's employee noticed terrence cody in the passenger seat and refused to sell her the donuts because saban told them not sell him any donuts.

I wouldn't doubt that one bit! Saban very rarely let Cody play on 3rd downs because of him getting a bit winded. However, I really couldn't ever tell that he was struggling during the games. For example, he had a lot of energy through the entire Tennesse game and blocked those two field goals.

taztroy43
01-26-2010, 05:54 PM
I wouldn't doubt that one bit! Saban very rarely let Cody play on 3rd downs because of him getting a bit winded. However, I really couldn't ever tell that he was struggling during the games. For example, he had a lot of energy through the entire Tennesse game and blocked those two field goals.

I honestly don't want Cody in the 1st round period....He just showed everybody that he rather eat @ an excessive rate, than play football!!!! If he slips to us in the second then I wouldn't mind the Steelers picking him up there.....I want FS Earl Thomas w/ our first pick.....or even FS/SS Taylor Mays(If he convinces our coaching staff that he can cover because polamalu wasn't that known for his coverage skills @ USC either!!!)....It's crazy...a lot of player's stocks are rising and dropping...left and right....

Texasteel
01-26-2010, 07:52 PM
I know some will thing this dumb, but I kinda hope for several FGs, I would like a better look as Liegh Tiffin. We could loss Reed you know.

SteelMember
01-27-2010, 07:42 AM
I know some will thing this dumb, but I kinda hope for several FGs, I would like a better look as Liegh Tiffin. We could loss Reed you know.

That could also provide an opportunity to see some long snappers. :chuckle:

Although, Warren is going to have two new knees by next season. :noidea:

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-27-2010, 08:33 AM
Looks like the senior bowl is going to shake up alot of draft boards...some scouts are now saying that Wilson from Boise St. is the 2nd best CB in this draft.

Still havent seen any senior bowl comments about RB Joique Bell.

MasterOfPuppets
01-28-2010, 05:20 PM
OFFENSIVE LINE

-Some impressive play from Chris Scott (Tennessee) today. At 6’5 – 346 pounds, Scott clearly stands out among his fellow offensive linemen. He holds that weight on his massive frame and his footwork was better than I anticipated. He got a few looks at left tackle and more than held his own against speed rusher George Selvie. His long arms and powerful punch completely stop the momentum of the rusher and his balance remains throughout. I still see him on the right side at the next level but its nice to know he can hack on the left side in a pinch.

-Center Ted Larsen (NC State) is a very stout blocker from the center position and he showed a lot of strength, holding up well against Terrence Cody. He swings his hips in to the hole and keeps his man at bay. Under the radar guy that could be a starter at the next level.

TIGHT ENDS/RECEIVERS

-Shay Hodge looked brilliant today in almost every drill I watched him. He was making acrobatic grabs, getting two feet down near the sidelines, and running nice routes on all three levels. He is the kind of receiver that quarterbacks love to have as a security blanket.

-Jimmy Graham (Miami) had an up and down practice. His receiving ability is there, as he was catching nearly everything thrown his way. He made some nice adjustments to the ball at the last second and plucked the ball out of the air that was behind him. However the blocking portion of his game needs a lot of work, as he was driven back repeatedly with some inconsistent footwork.

-Another impressive day by Andre Roberts (Citadel) who is reminding me a lot of Steve Smith from the Giants. He is clearly the top route runner here and he made some tough catches in with a corner draped all over him.

RUNNING BACKS

-Roy Upchurch (Alabama) is a relative unknown because of depth chart concerns at Alabama, but he showed ability today. He consistently caught the ball out of the backfield, including a wheel route to the corner of the end zone where he made the catch of the day while getting two feet down before exiting the back of the end zone.

-Ben Tate (Auburn) is making an argument for himself to be considered the best power back here. He is running hard in between the tackles and the smaller linebackers are having a hard time stopping his momentum,

-Dexter McCluster (Ole Miss) with another big day from all over the place. He broke off the best run of the day, displaying explosion that nobody in this game has. He just flies by defenders, even the ones that have the initial angle advantage on him.

QUARTERBACKS

-I continue to be impressed by Tim Tebow (Florida). I can understand the issue with his long release, but I watched him closely and something came to mind. I think, on purpose, he is slowing everything down to ensure he gets his footwork right. This is the first time he has dropped back while making reads, and I think he is focused on that more so than his release. With time, his release will be worked on and quickened enough to pass in the NFL. He connected on several deep balls yet again and the zip he can put on the ball is the best I’ve seen this week. His progression is there and that’s all you can ask for right now.

-Zac Robinson (Oklahoma State) was very up and down today, much like his career in college. He was very accurate and confident with his underneath and intermediate passes, but his deep balls were wobbly for the most part. He also threw a few picks over the middle in the team drills after a couple of bad decisions .

DEFENSIVE LINE

-Terrence Cody is not an attractive player when he is standing around, but he is playing well in the middle. The thing about him is that he is a strong 370 pounder, not just a chubby body that gets knocked around. He constantly demands double teams and when he only has one blocker on him, he can clog up a lane (or two) with ease. 3-4 defenses are going to like him a lot.

-George Selvie (South Florida) had an up and down day but I think he showed some things to scouts that he absolutely had to. Everyone knew his explosion off the edge was there, but he showed a lot of hustle. His relentless motor aided him in getting to the quarterback when the speed rush didn’t work. I’d like to see more out of him in terms of rushing the tackle’s inside shoulder though. His ceiling remains as high as some put it a couple years ago.

LINEBACKERS

-Big day by Miami middle linebacker Daryl Sharpton. His speed is something that caught my eye, as he made it sideline to sideline with time to spare and he dropped in to deep coverage in a blink. At just 229 pounds, it is easy to question his physicality but he delivered some pops today which made a different sound than the other linebackers here. He is fighting an uphill battle because of his lack of size, but he plays a lot bigger than he is.

-Cameron Sheffield (Troy) has been spending a lot of time as a defensive end, but I think he shows a ton of promise as a 3-4 outside linebacker. He explodes off the edge and uses a nice straight arm to maintain separation between himself and the blocker. Those long arms are used correctly and when you see his comprehension of the technique combined with his athletic ability, he could be the next Troy edge rusher to make it at the next level.

DEFENSIVE BACKS

-Put the eyeball on Taylor Mays (USC) and Myron Rolle (Florida State) today. I want to like Mays because of the overall package he has, but he looks slower than every safety here by a wide margin. He has no anticipation ability and he spends too much time on the hashes. He loves to make the bone-jarring hits over the middle and it looks like that is the only thing ever on his mind. Rolle on the other has been a step or two behind mentally as well, which is to be expected. I like how he keeps his head on a swivel but I was hoping to see him make some breaks on the ball and he, like Mays, reacted to slowly to the ball in the air.

-Perrish Cox (Oklahoma State) had himself a day. He picked off teammate Zac Robinson twice in a matter of four plays, both of which had a high difficulty rating. He has the ideal body for a press corner and he needs to show scouts he can move well enough downfield. His hip movement was inconsistent but I think he has the potential to be a star if he can focus a little but more on his technique issues.

-Nate Allen (South Florida) is frustrating me a little bit. He is mirroring tight ends and receivers in man coverage, giving the quarterback a very tight window to fit the ball in to. But he is weak with the ball in the air, as he was not getting his head around and making plays on the ball. If he can learn to do that with balance, his ceiling is as high as any safety in Mobile this week.

Wednesday’s Winners

Perrish Cox – CB – Oklahoma State

Cox needs to have a strong pre-draft process to get his stock back to where it was in December. However a lot of that will occur in interviews because of the red flags that arise with his character. With that said, Cox showed premiere ability today with top notch ball skills.

Shay Hodge – WR – Ole Miss

As I said before, the hands and route running ability are NFL ready and he has the ability to be an immediate impact receiver. He showed tons of willingness to go over the middle to try and make the catch despite knowing the safeties and linebackers were about to deliver a pop.

Wednesday’s Losers

Eric Norwood – LB – South Carolina

Something seems off with Norwood down here. He has the thick frame to handle the physicality but he struggled to get off blocks in the live team drill. His feet were got stagnant in coverage, making him an easy target for QBs to pick on.

Patrick Robinson – CB – Florida State

At 190 pounds, Robinson is about the average size of a corner, but he lacks a power game. He was pushed around by Joe Webb at the attempt of press coverage and he was easily moved downfield by receivers when a fight for the ball was oncoming.
http://www.newerascouting.com/01/2010-senior-bowl-day-three-south-report/

taztroy43
01-28-2010, 06:11 PM
I hope the Steelers pick up CB Kyle Wilson...he looks like the real deal....I would prefer the Steelers to pick him up in the 2nd round...but if Earl Thomas is gone in the first and even Lupati....then I hope the Steelers trade down a couple of picks, then picking up a couple more, and when their time comes to pick in the 1st...I hope they get CB Wilson(I know it seems like a reach but I think he's been showing teams that he's worth it)...that's only if FS Earl Thomas and Lupati are not on the board.....I would only want Cody in the 2nd round because he prefers to eat, than to work hard(be in shape) to be drafted high as a NT in the NFL.....I mean isn't that enough motivation to put the Twinkies aside @least after the combine and his proday???? I just don't get it...:noidea:..that's why I don't think he's worth a 1st rounder....@ least Big Hampton was strong as hell for his size when he came out to the draft....I doubt that Cody would put up as many reps as Big Casey did.....I don't even think he' even close to the strength of Casey Hampton.....

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-29-2010, 08:53 AM
Still havent seen any senior bowl comments about RB Joique Bell.

Saw him run the ball on NFL network and they talked about him a little bit as the player of the year in the division. To my eyes he looks solidly built in the lower body and runs with nice burst......kind of like a quicker version of Thomas Jones.

I also liked the look of Dixon from Miss St. and Ben Tate from Auburn.....I think any one of those guys can help Mendenhall in our backfield.

MasterOfPuppets
01-29-2010, 09:10 AM
Saw him run the ball on NFL network and they talked about him a little bit as the player of the year in the division. To my eyes he looks solidly built in the lower body and runs with nice burst......kind of like a quicker version of Thomas Jones.

I also liked the look of Dixon from Miss St. and Ben Tate from Auburn.....I think any one of those guys can help Mendenhall in our backfield.
i figure dixon could probably be had in the 3rd like shonn greene last year, and ben tate in the 4th maybe the 5th. tate set a few of the high school rushing records here in maryland.

darnik44
02-02-2010, 08:44 AM
For 61 years now, the annual Senior Bowl has been a vital scouting tool for NFL teams. For the last 60 years, Mobile, Alabama has become the unofficial home of the NFL for this week. Each year we have players who help their draft stock during this week, and then there are those who hurt their stock. The Senior Bowl week is the first exposure these prospects have to NFL coaching and an NFL style practice week and game. It is a very good way to evaluate these prospects against the highest level of competition they have ever seen.

Risers

Mardy Gilyard, WR, Cincinnati

Gilyard came into Mobile underrated and overlooked by most in my opinion. Despite a solid career against quality opponents and a made for T.V. type of path to get where he now is, most had written Gilyard off. You often hear people go straight to talk about his size, his long speed, and the Brian Kelly "system." Gilyard did a lot to silence those critics a bit.

Read more... (http://www.nfldraftspot.com/news-and-information/senior-bowl/blog/447.html)

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-02-2010, 10:20 AM
For 61 years now, the annual Senior Bowl has been a vital scouting tool for NFL teams. For the last 60 years, Mobile, Alabama has become the unofficial home of the NFL for this week. Each year we have players who help their draft stock during this week, and then there are those who hurt their stock. The Senior Bowl week is the first exposure these prospects have to NFL coaching and an NFL style practice week and game. It is a very good way to evaluate these prospects against the highest level of competition they have ever seen.

Risers

Mardy Gilyard, WR, Cincinnati

Gilyard came into Mobile underrated and overlooked by most in my opinion. Despite a solid career against quality opponents and a made for T.V. type of path to get where he now is, most had written Gilyard off. You often hear people go straight to talk about his size, his long speed, and the Brian Kelly "system." Gilyard did a lot to silence those critics a bit.

Read more... (http://www.nfldraftspot.com/news-and-information/senior-bowl/blog/447.html)

Is there something here adding to the discussion??? Or is it just Pimpin' your site:confused:

darnik44
02-02-2010, 11:14 AM
Is there something here adding to the discussion??? Or is it just Pimpin' your site:confused:

That's everything I have to add. Just passing it on for anyone who might be interested.