PDA

View Full Version : AFC championship game, favorite and least favorite memories?

zulater
01-24-2010, 11:44 AM
They're playing our song without us today. Or to put it in a better way, the Steelers more than any other team are the AFC title game. :helmet: It's our legacy, our DNA, this is a Sunday as Steelers fans we more or less expect to still be relevant. http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=47187

Regardless, this is one of those years where it just wasn't our turn. ( for reasons discussed ad-naseum elsewhere in these forums.) So rather than allow todays participants to occupy our every thought let's make it about us again! :chuckle:

So of the Steelers 14 AFC title game appearances...

What was your favorite win?

The most excruciating loss?

Your favorite moment, game relevant?

Your worst moment, game relevant?

Now if you care to go further

Your favorite moment, from a personal perspective?

Your least favorite moment, personal perspective?

Again, just because we're not playing today is no reason not to make it all about us! :tt02::helmet:

:chuckle:

I'll fill in my answers later. :hatsoff:

zulater
01-24-2010, 11:53 AM
What was your favorite win? I'm old. 1974 when we beat the Raiders in Oakland. I'd love to find that game on DVD.

The most excruciating loss? 2001 Patriots. :mad:

Your favorite moment, game relevant? Troy's interception to seal it last year.

Your worst moment, game relevant? Stinking Patriot punt return in 2001. :banging:

Now if you care to go further

Your favorite moment, from a personal perspective? Watching the clock tick down to zero, sitting next to my 12 year old son. (at the time, he's 13 now)

Your least favorite moment, personal perspective?Losing $50 buck on the 2001 game to my old Air Force buddy Jim. :banging:

JPbucco
01-24-2010, 11:53 AM
The San Diego loss was crushing to me. I walked home from my friends house (about 4 miles) because I didn't want to interact with any other humans.

DENNIS GIBSON!!!!!!!!

Conversely the win against the Colts the next year was that much sweeter....still should have won the SB though.

Neil O'Donnell!!!!

zulater
01-24-2010, 12:01 PM
The San Diego loss was crushing to me. I walked home from my friends house (about 4 miles) because I didn't want to interact with any other humans.

!!!!

Oh god yes, that one was horrific! :doh :I was on the road that game, when I left Laurel Race track the Steelers had a double digit lead, and then as drove on the game gradually slipped away. I'm lucky I didn't ditch the van that day, as pissed as I was. :eek:

SteelCityMan786
01-24-2010, 12:48 PM
What was your favorite win? 2009 AFC Championship Game vs. Baltimore(I was in attendance for that game)

The most excruciating loss?2001 & 2004 AFC Championship Games vs. Patriots(I felt the Steelers should have won both times)

Your favorite moment, game relevant? Troy's INT

Your worst moment, game relevant? Everything that went wrong in the 2 losses to the Pats

Your favorite moment, from a personal perspective? Being in attendance for last year's AFCCG and being among the fans in the stands who started cheering to Here We Go.

Your least favorite moment, personal perspective? See Worst Moment

7SteelGal43
01-24-2010, 12:54 PM
Favorite moments : Watching Cowher hoist the AFC Championship trophy...twice.

LEAST favorite : Watching Romanowski give Kordell the "DUH" treatment after an errant pass.

zulater
01-24-2010, 12:57 PM
Favorite moments : Watching Cowher hoist the AFC Championship trophy...twice.

LEAST favorite : Watching Romanowski give Kordell the "DUH" treatment after an errant pass.

Worse yet, the fact that none of Kordell's teammates smacked the punk down. :mad:

fansince'76
01-24-2010, 02:56 PM
The one thing that really sticks out in my mind after 30+ years was Mean Joe stuffing Earl Campbell for a loss on 3rd and short in the '79 AFCCG. :tt04:

7SteelGal43
01-24-2010, 03:09 PM
Worse yet, the fact that none of Kordell's teammates smacked the punk down. :mad:

:rofl: In hindsight, you are quite correct on that one. Although I must admit, I was probably one of the last remaining supporters of Kordell, almost to the bitter end.

LONG LIVE BIG BEN !!

TampaSteelerFan
01-25-2010, 02:33 PM
Best memory- last year, Troys pick six to seal the deal.

Worst memory- there are many but the one that sticks out the most is that Chargers game. We were just so dominant in that game but still found a way to lose. And to top it off, the way they stopped us on the last play of that game.

Venom
01-25-2010, 04:28 PM
What was your favorite win? Last year . Troy's Int !!!

The most excruciating loss? Umm, what hurts me everytime I see a clip of it is the last play between the Steelers vs Chargers and the ball deflected on the goal line in 1994.

Your favorite moment, game relevant? I loved the Steelers romp over the Broncos when Big Ben was hitting everyone in sight

Your worst moment, game relevant? I would say the Pats over us in the first year of Heinz Field in 2001 :banging::banging::banging::banging:

vasteeler
01-25-2010, 06:59 PM
What was your favorite win? Super Bowl 43 that last drive was the most exciting finish to a game that i can recall

The most excruciating loss? like others both *'s losses but 01 hurt a little more

Your favorite moment, game relevant? santo's catch in SB43

Your worst moment, game relevant? seeing that smug Brady walking of our turf with a victory

by the way great thread!!!

NJarhead
01-25-2010, 07:07 PM
Best was Last year: Troy sealing the deal after so many years of AFCCG failures. Plus that was my first AFCCG ever (in attendance that is).

Worst: 2001 AFCCG was tough because we went 13-3 and could have won it all that year IMO. Special Teams killed us in that one.

SteelGhost
01-25-2010, 07:46 PM
The worst of all time were in the same game January 28th, 1996 Super Bowl XXX .... Neil O'Donnell picked by Larry Brown TWICE , I still get pissed when I watch that game :mad:, that SB game alone trumps all the worst moments (AFCG losses to the Pats*, Chargers and Broncos together).

And for the good....too much to mention, from the Immaculate Reception to Santo's catch to win SB XLIV.

Go Steelers :tt02:

tony hipchest
01-25-2010, 08:44 PM
sticking strictly to the afcc games-

alot of painful memories from '94 vs. chargers were soothed by making it back the next year and finally getting over that decade long slump.

willie williams making that shoestring tackle of marshall faulks back-up. if that doesnt happen, dude is still running and we likely dont make it to sb XXX. it was then i felt, we were actually gonna make it (and that play saved the opportunity).

i think it was the 1st broncos drive in '97 and kirkland picked off elway. i cheered so loud, i was sure we would dominate and win the game.

romanowski mocking kordell is the moment thet pisses me off the most. elways, pass on 3rd and 6, deep in their own territory that buzzed the earhole of our swiping lb, to shannon sharpe was very painful.

'01 was a comedy of errors. too many to mention, but joey porter had that ball thrown to him in the flat and he coulda easilly walked in for a td (that woulda been the difference of the game). :dang:

one of my personal favorites was before the 05 champ game in the locker room at colts stadium after the victory. cowher was talking about getting ready for the broncos and porter kinda interrupted, spoke up and said to coach... "man, i got this. they SHOT me up in denver!"

i dont think i ever been so confident going into a champ game or even sb. i knew it was personal (porter + jerome going home) and just felt it would be a game they would dominate.

Vincent
01-25-2010, 09:19 PM
So of the Steelers 14 AFC title game appearances...

What was your favorite win? 74 against the raiders in oakland. Joe Greene - "We were in the zone". 08 against the rats. Swept the rats - a thing of beauty.

The most excruciating loss? 94 v bolts, 01 v cheats, 04 v cheats. #$%^&^$#@#$%^&*

Your favorite moment, game relevant?

The one thing that really sticks out in my mind after 30+ years was Mean Joe stuffing Earl Campbell for a loss on 3rd and short in the '79 AFCCG. And Earl saying "Hey Joe, Howbout a Coke?" as he got up. And of course Troy's pick in 08.

Your worst moment, game relevant?

DENNIS GIBSON!!!!!!!! And those damn 01 returns. Honorable mention to romanowski for trashing Korky's psyche in 97.

Your favorite moment, from a personal perspective? There are so many, but the recent memory of being up 24-3 at the half IN Denver and realizing that "Yep, we're going back and we're going to win our 5th".

Your least favorite moment, personal perspective? Pick a loss. Any loss. We've won 7, but we've lost 7.

14 though. That's a zone!

SuzyPeppercorn
01-25-2010, 09:37 PM
Favorite Win: Beating the Ravens for the 3rd time in one year in '09.

Most excruciating loss: Losing to the Pats in '01 and '04.

Favorite Moment: Ben pretending to shoot two revolvers after threading a TD to Hines against the Broncos in '06 :thumbsup:

Worst Moment: Ben throwing a pick to Rodney Harrison to seal the game in '04 :mad:

tony hipchest
01-25-2010, 09:54 PM
14 though. That's a zone!

:yep: i would much rather be suffering a loss today from the colts (like the jetsfans) than not having any chance at all.

an 8th afcc game loss woulda been GREAT compared to how this season ended.

in retrospect the colts were smart for shitcanning a perfecdt season and manipulating who got into the playoffs.

with a healthy troy, i think we woulda had a much better chance of eeking out that win (i still woulda taken a loss- i love championship sundays).

steel9guy
01-25-2010, 10:53 PM
Worst AFC Championship game 01 and 04. In 01 I was a friends house and walked right out after the game and after 04 I locked myself in my room and made a tom brady/rodney harrison wall target and threw at it for hours. I was ticked.

Best AFC Championship memory was 08 when we beat baltimore. We beat baltimore so that'll always be number 1 on my list.

Favorite 3 memories of all time-1.43 game winning drive 2. Bus holding the trophy 3. beating indy in the playoffs.

steelpride12
01-25-2010, 11:01 PM
Favorite Win: Beating the Ravens for the third time in a row last season and the Troy INT to seal the AFCCG against them!

Most excruciating loss: The 04' game against the Pats and then finding out they were total cheaters and proved they had evidence against the Steelers to help them win that game or have an advantage.

Favorite Moment: When Bettis was saying "Im going home, Im going home" after the win against the Bronco's in 05' referring to Detroit his home town!

Worst Moment: The 01' against the Pats being such a dominate team and losing to them.

zulater
01-25-2010, 11:09 PM
:yep: i would much rather be suffering a loss today from the colts (like the jetsfans) than not having any chance at all.

an 8th afcc game loss woulda been GREAT compared to how this season ended.

in retrospect the colts were smart for shitcanning a perfecdt season and manipulating who got into the playoffs.

with a healthy troy, i think we woulda had a much better chance of eeking out that win (i still woulda taken a loss- i love championship sundays).

I was more or less called a retard on another thread for expressing a similiar sentiment by Double Yoi.

:toofunny:

tony hipchest
01-25-2010, 11:27 PM
how's it go?

better to have love and lost than to never have loved at all...

i would much rather be a bills fan as opposed to that of the pathetic browns or lions.