PDA

View Full Version : joey porter: the smack talk genius?

tony hipchest
02-01-2006, 06:27 PM
jeramy stevens offered a thimble full of smack. porter responded with a 5 gallon bucket. yet its stevens who is made out to be the instigator and the dumb one who did exactly what their coaches have asked them not to do all week.

stevens simply pulled the cork out of a barrell that was bound to burst eventually (so they say), yet porter will get a free pass for all the smack he has unleashed.

advantage steelers

just like jerome is deflecting all attention away from his offensive team mates, joey has just released all other 10 defenders from extra pressure and attention (isnt this what great leaders do?). porter dont care if the seahawks double team him with stevens all day and shut him out, cause that just frees up, polamalu, hampton, haggans, farrior, smith, foote and von olhoffen. (expect atleast 1 cb blitz too) unselfish move on porters part.

advantage steelers

ever notice that joey porter called out the colts offense for trying to turn it into a thinking mans game where they try to outsmart you and confuse you, with all the audibles and motion, and not just lining up and hiking the ball? isnt this exactly what di*k lebeaus defense does?:sofunny:

dont think its just porter mouthing off and joey being joey. the dude is smart and very calculating and deserves every penny he is being paid.

Hammer67
02-01-2006, 06:33 PM
Tom Jackson and Mark Schlereth on Sportscenter called what Stevens did "foolish".

Jackson was amazed that of all people he would pick Bettis to talk shit on. Mark said that there are some players you don't care if they get mad, Joey Porter isn't one of them.

Good Stuff! I feel better about the game now.

lotas
02-01-2006, 06:39 PM
Yeah honestly I don't care how "good" you think you are, how "overrated" you think a certain player is, or how ineffective you might think he'll be in an upcoming game. The LAST thing you wanna do is give any player or god forbid the whole opposing team any more fire in this game.

What an idiot. Here is a solid article with a lot of dialogue from Porter and Stevens for those interested:
http://www.superbowl.com/news/story/9201674

PDX Hawk fan
02-01-2006, 06:41 PM
My favorite example of his "genius" is when he criticized the Colts because they run trick plays.

LOL!!!

tony hipchest
02-01-2006, 06:41 PM
Tom Jackson and Mark Schlereth on Sportscenter called what Stevens did "foolish".

Jackson was amazed that of all people he would pick Bettis to talk shit on. Mark said that there are some players you don't care if they get mad, Joey Porter isn't one of them.

Good Stuff! I feel better about the game now.

those comments are what promted this thread. stevens made what was really an insignificant comment and porter just used it as an excuse to unleash and do exactly what he has been itching to do. porter comes off as looking like the good guy and stevens as the idiot.

i dont think cowher minds either as long as it wasnt joey who started it.

brilliant!

marksashton
02-01-2006, 06:45 PM
Let the games begin. Although I wouldn't go this far, some might suggest that Porter (and the Steelers) need this kind of thing to get pumped up... I like Stevens response:

The compliment: "I think that will make it more exciting. That fuels the fire," Stevens said. "He's an up-tempo guy, and playing that way is why football is fun."

Then, reflecting on what Porter said, he added, "He said I'll be on my back?"

Stevens flashed a smile.

"We'll see."

PDX Hawk fan
02-01-2006, 06:46 PM
porter comes off as looking like the good guy and stevens as the idiot. brilliant!

If the media is truly portraying it this way, then you know East Coast Bias is in full swing!
Fine by me- it just ensures Stevens will be ready to play his ass off.

tony hipchest
02-01-2006, 06:49 PM
My favorite example of his "genius" is when he criticized the Colts because they run trick plays.

LOL!!!

is there an echo? didnt i just say that? steelers d probably runs more "trick plays" than any other team, (dont get butt-hurt patfans. they didnt have the personnel this year to do what they normally do)
let alone what they do on offense. my favorite offensive trick play is when theres 8-9 in the box and they still run it.

SteelCityMan786
02-01-2006, 07:52 PM
Well we all are gonna trash talk on the biggest game of the year. To What Degree is unknown

Suitanim
02-01-2006, 08:07 PM
Well we all are gonna trash talk on the biggest game of the year. To What Degree is unknown

Barry Sanders wouldn't. I don't know if anybody heard him on Rome this week, but it was fairly amazing. He's the "Anti-Chad", considers it bad form to call attention to himself, looked at the NFL as a 9-5 job, and just went out and left it all on the field. When he left the NFL on the verge of crushing Emmett Smith's rushing record (Which he would have), it wasn't even the first time he'd done that. He sat out late in a HS game where a few more runs would have netted him another title.

I just feel priveledged that I was able to see the guy play, and see him a lot.

Smack talk on a MB is kind of fun, but I'm old school...I didn't really engage in it when I played, and I don't really like it that much now.

tony hipchest
02-01-2006, 08:19 PM
If the media is truly portraying it this way, then you know East Coast Bias is in full swing!

actually i was thinking it will ensure he gets busted soliciting a prostitute the night before the game.

how can you say it ensures anything?

tony hipchest
02-02-2006, 10:41 AM
bill cowhers remarks on joey going off on stevens:

"thats just joey being joey. i was proud he lasted this long" (the reporters erupt in laughture)

he went on to say how joey is definitely the emotional leader of the team.

Livinginthe past
02-02-2006, 10:50 AM
Well this is certainly the first time I have ever seen the words 'Joey Porter' and 'Genius' in the same sentence - well apart from the odd joke.

Who knows what result Joey's smack talk will have - we probably will never know - anyone remember if he was quiet or loud prior to the 2 home defeats to the Pats in the playoffs?

I remember him prowling the sidelines trying get his demoralised troops motivated again - props to him for that - everyone needs someone who does that.

NM

cmdrfunk
02-02-2006, 12:22 PM

There is no bias. No one really cares about the seahawks. The seahawks could be in north carolina and still no one would care. Why would the media report so much on a team no one gives a damn about?

Hell the media only gives the seahawks any credit instead of talking about how weak the NFC is so that the ratings for the super bowl and all the sports shows talking about the game are up. If the media led everyone to think the game wasnt a real nail biter everyone wouldnt be watching their shows... so instead they focus on trash talking like this instead of talking about the real underlying truth that no one but fans mention: the NFC overall sucks so every stat of an nfc team is SUSPECT. Comparing Seattles #1 rank in offense to the steelers #16 (15?) rank, for example, makes no sense because Pittsburgh actually played some decent AFC defenses. The media does not mention this which i can only assume is for ratings purposes. They want people worked up to think this is a completely evenly matched game. I mean come on... no sportswriter or sports talking head ever says "oh they beat the redskins and panthers woop de do" like they should be. Instead they compare as if beating those teams is anywhere near the accomplishment of beating the top 3 AFC seeds on the road.

The typical set up is this. A moderator. 2 guys discussing the game. The moderator asks a question. One guy picks the steelers in some category. The other guy picks the seahawks. Then once in a while, not often, they agree the teams are perfectly evently matched. IT IS SET UP that way to make everyone think its suuuuuch an evenly matched game. Though probably biased, the only guy who pretty much called things how they are in the media that i remember was Terry Bradshaw. Before the panthers-seahawks game he said the steelers would beat either one of the teams. Im willing to bet he could have said the same thing about Denver.

I say the Seahawks could win, but everyone in Seattle is deluding themselves if they truly believe they probably will. There is a difference between backing your team and foolish blind faith. I knew the steelers could beat the Colts, but i wasnt silly enough to think they probably would.

BB2W
02-02-2006, 12:29 PM
You know there will be multiple plays where Stevens has to line up on Joey's side. I am gonna watch for that match-up. I'm sure he is gonna come at him with everything he's got , and there is no way that Stevens can block him if he's all pumped up.

thumb 2 come
02-02-2006, 12:44 PM

How is it Bias stevens basically guarenteed a win. Sayin to bad he'll (Jerome Bettis) go home without the trophy. Talking bad on Bettis you might as well have talked smack about every steelers mama. Cause they all treat Bettis as family or royalty in the burgh. Well deserved treatment as well.

Sorry Jeremy you messed up no w bow your head in shame.:boxing:

CASTEEL
02-02-2006, 12:47 PM

Media Bias??? Come off it, moron. That idiot player of the seachickens opened his big mouth and got a big heaping of Joey's fist shoved in it......

HERE WE GO!!!

BB2W
02-02-2006, 01:42 PM
I like this one...

The Super Bowl war of words continued today with Pittsburgh linebacker Joey Porter saying the Steelers will be so physical in the Super Bowl they will try to make Seattle quit playing.

In the Steelers' players' final pre-Super Bowl news conference, Porter says Pittsburgh's goal is to try and "tap out" as many Seattle Seahawks as possible.

Porter says "We're going to try to send as many people to the sideline as we can."

link: http://www.onnnews.com/Global/story.asp?S=4447232&nav=menu241_6

pilex
02-02-2006, 01:52 PM
He's definately trying to turn up the intensity and physicality of the steelers d. I'm sure he wants it to motivate the whole team but there is no doubt he is workin on his unit. The chickenhawks are in for the most physical game they have ever seen.... you better hope their ready chickenhawk jock supporters.

Justin Otstott
02-02-2006, 01:56 PM
man I can't wait into Sunday!!! I am going to enjoy every bit of the game...can't wait to see Porter knock this rapist head off.