PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Free Agent Decisions: Ryan Clark

mesaSteeler
01-25-2010, 07:00 AM
Steelers Free Agent Decisions: Ryan Clark
A look at the other free agents the Steelers must decide on in anticipation of the start of free agency on March 5: Money will decide if Clark stays a Steeler
Monday, January 25, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10025/1030899-66.stm

Safety Ryan Clark wants to stay. The Steelers want to re-sign him.

So, what could be the problem?

Money. It always comes down to money. Often when a player leaves a team as a free agent, it is not because he wanted to leave or the team did not want him back, the sides just could not agree on the money.

First, let us get Clark's intentions up front. He wants to come back and play for the Steelers in 2010, rejoining Pro Bowl strong safety Troy Polamalu.

"Yeah, I do. I do," Clark said. "It's a great place to play. I think the Rooney family runs the team the way an organization should be run. I want to come back and make it right too. I want to come back and play with Troy, get all our guys back and make another run at it."

How much value do the Steelers place on Ryan Clark as their free safety vs. what Clark and his agent want? The average annual compensation for the top 10 safeties (both free and strong) a year ago was $5.13 million. No. 2 on that list was Polamalu at $6.82 million. Clark counted $2.4 million on the salary cap last year.

Clark had a good season with the Steelers in 2009 and they needed it with Polamalu missing 11 games. But they are not likely to have their two safeties among the highest-paid players on their defense.

Could Clark get more elsewhere by becoming an unrestricted free agent March 5? Undoubtedly. Clark re-signing with the Steelers will boil down to how much less he is willing to take from them vs. going elsewhere.

"I'm going to do everything possible to make that happen," said agent Joel Turner, who believes talks with the Steelers will commence early in February. "To be perfectly honest, I don't see why it shouldn't happen. Unless Mr. Rooney doesn't want him back, no way it should not happen.

"We will not sell out for a song, and we will not ask to be the highest paid at his position. We're extremely reasonable and fair-minded people."

The NFL is steaming toward its first uncapped year on payrolls since 1992 and while that means teams can pay whatever they want, Steelers president Art Rooney II said his team will stay within normal guidelines.

The Steelers did not make an offer to Clark last year when he had one season left on his contract. That is a window the Steelers often use to negotiate extensions and they did so with James Harrison, Brett Keisel, Heath Miller, Justin Hartwig and Max Starks in 2009.

The Steelers want to sign others before they can become free agents March 5 and have done that previously. Besides Clark, they aim to try to sign Jeff Reed and Casey Hampton. Turner said he had a conversation with Steelers executives Kevin Colbert and Omar Khan in August about Clark.

"Kevin and Omar told me they want Ryan Clark here, that they intend him staying here. Omar said Ryan will retire a Pittsburgh Steeler."

Clark, 29, ranked second on the team last season with 110 tackles, tied for first with three interceptions and ranked third with nine pass breakups. He has also become a leader on defense and a contributor in their community. Naturally, the Steelers would want him back. If he leaves, they would have to draft someone, sign a free agent or insert Ryan Mundy to replace him and not likely get the same performance level.

"Ryan really wants to stay there, as does his wife and children," Turner said. "They've made that their home. We're going to do everything humanly possible to make that happen. The Steelers' organization is very fair. I don't expect them to try to come in under market value and I'm not going to come in and say we want more than Ed Reed."

Everyone in these circumstances has said the right thing. Soon, money will do all the talking.
For more on the Steelers, read the blog, Ed Bouchette on the Steelers at www.post-gazette.com/plus. Ed Bouchette: ebouchette@post-gazette.com.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10025/1030899-66.stm#ixzz0dcmzs2yX

mulldog24
01-25-2010, 10:41 AM
I really hope they get the deal done with Clark cause I think he is important to our D-fense and our locker room as well.

Galax Steeler
01-25-2010, 10:45 AM
I really hope they get the deal done with Clark cause I think he is important to our D-fense and our locker room as well.

Agreed I just hope they don't break the bank with him. I know Clark is a good player and he is an asset the team but if he wants to much money let him walk. We can fill the void in this years draft if he does decide to go that route.

supa_fly_steeler
01-25-2010, 12:11 PM
yay clark is gonna stay trust he will.

believe in now i want to see him continue to destroy opposition enemies

steelreserve
01-25-2010, 12:16 PM
Just give him the money Parker was tying up and everyone should walk away happy.

Next.

truesteelerfan
01-25-2010, 02:34 PM
I think he's a more important signing than Hampton. As bad as our secondary looked last year, can you imagine how it would have looked without Clark back there? How many times did he make a tackle that should have been made by our CB positions? Big Snack fills a role perfectly for our defensive scheme....Taking up space so the LB can attack the ball, but Clark is younger and I think would be paid less in a position that, as a team, we are weaker in (IMO). At the same time, we have a younger player in Mundy perhaps ready to fill in for Clark, and a not so young guy waiting to try and fill Snack's shoes..... If it had to be one or the other, I want Clark back.

Northside Jonny
01-25-2010, 04:41 PM
If we resign him we probably go with Kam Chancellor in the draft to add some depth anyway. He looks like a pretty promising player.

MasterOfPuppets
01-25-2010, 05:36 PM
I think he's a more important signing than Hampton. .
yes...average safeties are hard to find but good 3 - 4 NT's are in abundance...:coffee:

devilsdancefloor
01-25-2010, 05:42 PM
i say he gets resigned for about what he is making now, but if he wants a big pay day he will NOT retire a steeler as mr khan said. I like him a lot he isant the most gifted safety, but troy and he have a great relationship.

truesteelerfan
01-25-2010, 06:38 PM
yes...average safeties are hard to find but good 3 - 4 NT's are in abundance...:coffee:

You have a good point. However, Casey is only a 2 down player. Clark is in there all the time....and if we needed one or the other to try and improve our special teams, who would more likely do so? It might be fun to see Snack run down a kick off in coverage and completely crush a blocker, but Clark (who I don't think has ever played ST for us) would be a better fit. So while yes, an above (IMO) average safety may not be a higher need for most teams, with our current weakness and lack of depth in our secondary, I still think Clark can play for us. There seems to be SO much non-verbal communication that takes place between he and Troy that to try and put someone new back there would be longer growing pains than on another team that doesn't have a roving safety such as Troy.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-26-2010, 02:16 AM
Hampton is a 5 time pro bowler, Clark benefits from playing next to Polamalu. I hope both get signed and if we have to cut bait with Townsend, Parker, Carter, Kirschke, Stapleton, Batch and even Reed..........so be it.

solardave
01-26-2010, 05:27 AM
I agree except for Reed. Try Sepaulvida out on KO and keep Reed for the FG money shots.

steelpride12
01-26-2010, 08:56 AM
I hope this resigning can happen sooner than later. We can always cut back from other players who will leave and Clark may not come up with the big INT's every game, but he is just a locker room presence for the team and second in tackles in 09'. thats one important stat, and we need to get him locked up.

Also him and Troy just have a special bond together working together for years and understanding when Troy can blitz and when to drop back in coverge!

SteelMember
01-26-2010, 09:44 AM
I can't say that Clark would be as much of a loss as Chris Hope was, but the current lack of depth makes him all the more valuable.

If he were to leave, which I don't think he will, we would have to get an equally good free agent, or an early draft pick that could start by mid-season.

I don't think Clark is asking to be a top paid guy. I think that will be Hampton.

steelerdave1969
01-26-2010, 11:56 AM
I think he's a more important signing than Hampton. As bad as our secondary looked last year, can you imagine how it would have looked without Clark back there? How many times did he make a tackle that should have been made by our CB positions? Big Snack fills a role perfectly for our defensive scheme....Taking up space so the LB can attack the ball, but Clark is younger and I think would be paid less in a position that, as a team, we are weaker in (IMO). At the same time, we have a younger player in Mundy perhaps ready to fill in for Clark, and a not so young guy waiting to try and fill Snack's shoes..... If it had to be one or the other, I want Clark back.

You think our defense struggled this year in the secondary? I know they did, but not signing Hampton back means that the entire NFL will run the ball like crazy on the Steelers defense next season. Dont think for a minute that Casey Hampton leaving will help this defense. We need him as well as Clark and Troy to come back healthy and get us a nice young Corner for the secondary early in this upcoming draft... Dont Let Hampton Walk Though.. Please

CanadianSteel
01-26-2010, 12:56 PM
Would love to see Ryan Clark back and continue "smashing faces" in the secondary.

He also seems to be one of the nicest guys around and seems to appreciate what it means to be a Steeler...

I would like both him & Snack back as well but I think HAmpton is looking for a lst big "pay day" more than Clark might be.

Chidi29
01-26-2010, 08:52 PM
Signing Hampton would also likely prove to be a very fisically irresponsible thing to do.

I'd let him walk.